• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually the crux of this is that Singapore despite its perceived unfairness and all, is an pretty elite environment for the best and the more capable and unfortunately they are not quite there to make it much less remain here.

They want to take off, but they cannot do it fully. They are also not good enough to find well-paying jobs to commensurate with their skills and experience there.

We all know how good LKY & his cronies are :eek: They of course deserve the world class salaries which they voted themselves.

If you look at the "successful" in Spore many have used their connections. Not everyone has a network of "connections" to make it in Spore.

Sometimes its about value. & not affordability. Many Sporeans /ex-Sporeans are buying properties overseas because of better value. Why pay a premium for a lower quality of life in Spore?

Years ago I met an office boy who was living a humble life in Spore. He was satisfied with a simple motorcycle. He was using his $$$ to invest in Malaysian properties. While all the executives was busy being stressed out, he was sitting in the corner relaxing :smile: He was ahead of the curve with his idea of investing in value.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

You say you have lived for a few years in the United States and even Europe didn't you dude? So why do you in the end, opt for Malaysia?

My family is the reason why i came back, both my dad and mum won't want to live far away from their respective families especially when my grandma is still around. Malaysia is the first step as its the nearest as well as cheapest to achieve and my dad has family over there as well. I want them to be happy while they are still around, nothing else really matters for now.

Hence my first step is to set up a close and relatively inexpensive "hinterland" so that i can continue to work in the same company which gives me great flexibility and time management. (I don't need to go to office every day and unlike most people, i love family time, quantity counts, not only quality time) I have achieved what i wanted at the age of 25 so i no longer feel that $$$ = happiness, plus i lost a kid a couple years back, hence it kind of put a new perspective on life for me.

My 2nd step is to get more qualifications so that i meet the points for migration to NZ as they are ok with NZ but NZ has stricter qualifications requirements. Its not like our SG PR that is so readily given away like some real estate agents marketing tool(read tissues). So i want to set up something for them in MY first, then NZ and then when they have more than 1 place to go to and we have plenty of rental income as a passive source of income. That is what i ultimately want to achieve.

West coast of US/Canada is still something i want to do when i only have my wife/kids left to worry about, that is a bit further back so it remains a viable plan. For now though, since i have more than 4 colleagues in the US coming to SG to work, i think its not a good time to go back for now.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
What are you talking about really? It's all a matter of fiscal and needs and wants management seriously.

Wants and needs are unfortunately restricted by the grim realities of life.

Put it simply, Mr Samuel, how long do you think a person can work in a high paying job in Singapore given a normal career path, low ranked staff, executive, manager, senior management, then retrenchment.

My neighbour used to be a high flyer but is now driving part time taxi as he was unable to get the same type of job no matter how many years he applied. Same for relatives and some ex colleagues. Stories like this are not uncommon in Singapore. We even have PHD guys/former AStar professors driving taxis here, so what wants and needs are we talking about? We are talking about basic survival here in SG, not even talking about wants.

Sure, while we are still gainfully employed and earning substantial wages, we can talk about wants but now the discussion is about a basic HDB flat, basic living and how even this is getting to be unachievable in SG.

While we are still young and able to make choices, we should establish a back up plan. If you haven't noticed by now, most of the FTs, including from Malaysia have hinterlands to go back to in case things don't work out here. Why would they not want to give up their citizenship back home otherwise?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Actually the crux of this is that Singapore despite its perceived unfairness and all, is an pretty elite environment for the best and the more capable and unfortunately they are not quite there to make it much less remain here.

Isn't it clumsy that they buy seemingly-nice properties in Malaysia but have to travel long tiring distances TO AND FRO EVERYDAY BACK TO SINGAPORE TO WORK??? And that is their preferred standard of life?

They want to take off, but they cannot do it fully. They are also not good enough to find well-paying jobs to commensurate with their skills and experience there.

What you are writing here does not apply to everyone. Some people here make enough to make most local graduates here blush. I am not leaving because i can't make it here, i am leaving and making plans because i can. Just like how the FTs are doing here in SG, i am going the reverse route to make sure i have back up.

I am pretty comfortable at my current level but one has to look ahead and be less myopic especially if one is the main breadwinner/captain of the family. What if one day i lose my job, not talking about now as i can easily get one elsewhere but one day when i am old(50 and above).

Inflation is always a rising tide and reduces our savings substantially. What happens when one is old and by then unable to get a job and has little savings? No doubt i have enough in investments currently but who knows how things can change, I don't want to depend on my kids who will have a hard enough time here.

Who says one need to work in MY? Why do you have this worker mentality that we must work in order to survive? Have you considered income from rental or business? No wonder in Hokkien, wages/salaries are still called "coolie gang", because we still have mentalities of coolies!

I don't have to travel every day to and fro from Singapore as i can work from home. So the advantage of this is that i can continue to work in my company and i will get my pay in SGD and live in MY and pay MYR. Of course, i will still contribute to nation building every year. Once i have enough rental to sustain my family in MYR without taking into account of my pay, next step is NZ, etc.

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro wuqi,

respect your views.. but all these uprooting from spore to jb, and then to nz, not sure if its really good for the kids..

they need to settle down rather then moving ard every few years.. just my tot..

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
We all know how good LKY & his cronies are :eek: They of course deserve the world class salaries which they voted themselves.

If you look at the "successful" in Spore many have used their connections. Not everyone has a network of "connections" to make it in Spore.

Sometimes its about value. & not affordability. Many Sporeans /ex-Sporeans are buying properties overseas because of better value. Why pay a premium for a lower quality of life in Spore?

Years ago I met an office boy who was living a humble life in Spore. He was satisfied with a simple motorcycle. He was using his $$$ to invest in Malaysian properties. While all the executives was busy being stressed out, he was sitting in the corner relaxing :smile: He was ahead of the curve with his idea of investing in value.

Spot on, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Our learned friends here have their own perspective which they are well entitled to. I am basically following the steps of my other colleagues who are FT and like them, building up a portfolio of countries, its all about choices. Right now, how many local people in SG can say they can "retreat" or move on to another country, let alone 3?

The officeboy is smart and knows where to set his priorities.

People from China can go to so many other countries after using Singapore as a transit stop, Singapore right now is like the old transit road camp in Yishun, used for holding and developing them, once they are well developed, they will just dump us for destinations like Australia or US.

Since we have always been asked to learn from the talents, this is exactly what i am doing.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
bro wuqi,

respect your views.. but all these uprooting from spore to jb, and then to nz, not sure if its really good for the kids..

they need to settle down rather then moving ard every few years.. just my tot..

Thanks for your comments, kids are still very young right now, when we live in JB, their nursery, etc will be taken care of locally but schools wise, will still send them on a chartered bus to SG.

Once my parents "OCs" passed on and we are ready, i will set up NZ and move family and kids there where they will be able to continue their education. I am now thinking of using my Dec funds to either get something cheap in Auckland or get something in Danga.

tookara

Alfrescian
Loyal
on a side note i went into jb yesterday and a bag containing 2xnokia 8310s and 1xold banged up nokia 6233 and an old beat up portable yellow medela breast pump in a yellow bag was stolen.

any way to get it back? Its my fault for not being vigilant and securing the car whilst taking a trolley.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
on a side note i went into jb yesterday and a bag containing 2xnokia 8310s and 1xold banged up nokia 6233 and an old beat up portable yellow medela breast pump in a yellow bag was stolen.

any way to get it back? Its my fault for not being vigilant and securing the car whilst taking a trolley.

I am so sorry to hear this, which part of jb? Making a police report will be helpful but unlikely you will get it back. Then again, if this happens in SG, how likely are you to get it back too?

At least you didn't wake up in our "safe" Singapore to see this(happened in Telok Blangah Crescent):
http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20090902-165022.html

Hope the folks get caught, be safe.

U

UpYoz_olo

Thanks for your comments, kids are still very young right now, when we live in JB, their nursery, etc will be taken care of locally but schools wise, will still send them on a chartered bus to SG.

Once my parents "OCs" passed on and we are ready, i will set up NZ and move family and kids there where they will be able to continue their education. I am now thinking of using my Dec funds to either get something cheap in Auckland or get something in Danga.

Something cheap in Auckland? - you must be hallucinating. In fact, if you don't make a move now you need at least 30% more to buy one year later. If the NZD take off, maybe 45%. I seriously think Danga is your better choice.

Funny why you still think in a box. Target South Island lah if I were you. Many astute ah nehs have choop estates in Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau not for nothing. I won't tell you the underlying reasons though.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Something cheap in Auckland? - you must be hallucinating. In fact, if you don't make a move now you need at least 30% more to buy one year later. If the NZD take off, maybe 45%. I seriously think Danga is your better choice.

Funny why you still think in a box. Target South Island lah if I were you. Many astute ah nehs have choop estates in Wanaka, Queenstown, Te Anau not for nothing. I won't tell you the underlying reasons though.

Thank you. I am enlighted and stand corrected on Auckland pricing then.

I have based part of the choice from speaking with friends as well as from sites like realestate.co.nz, etc.

After discussion and considering the different parts, the reason why north part of Auckland was found to be suitable is because parents/wife will find:

1. Food and accessibility
2. Slightly less racism due to higher % of asians(according to my learned friends)
3. They may find it slightly easier to fit in
4. My company has a branch there

Folks told me not to go for Southern as there are higher chances of racism, etc. I have reserved some funds in USD for the NZ move, i know its not a lot but i just need somewhere close to town, don't need to be in downtown.

I don't want a case where my parents or wife would violently object midway through the process or just 1 year down the road.

Wherever i go, i will take my parents along as no one else(none of my siblings) will take care of them here, i can not leave them behind.

U

UpYoz_olo

I have based part of the choice from speaking with friends as well as from sites like realestate.co.nz, etc.

After discussion and considering the different parts, the reason why north part of Auckland was found to be suitable is because parents/wife will find:

2. Slightly less racism due to higher % of asians(according to my learned friends)

Folks told me not to go for Southern as there are higher chances of racism, etc. I have reserved some funds in USD for the NZ move, i know its not a lot but i just need somewhere close to town, don't need to be in downtown.

I don't want a case where my parents or wife would violently object midway through the process or just 1 year down the road.

Wherever i go, i will take my parents along as no one else(none of my siblings) will take care of them here, i can not leave them behind.

Point 4 seems to be the clincher. I take you mean North Shore properties ah. Albany? But, the prices are already jaw-dropping unless 1/2mil is small change for you:biggrin: If I'm not wrong (jin gu not there oredi), that budget can't even get you something decent in Takapuna.

Also, if you want to be in the asian enclave you may experience more uninvited house visits by you-know-whos. Not a bad thing if you intend to spend money on insurances.

Anyway I'll be interested in your or your learned friends' experiences there:biggrin:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Point 4 seems to be the clincher. I take you mean North Shore properties ah. Albany? But, the prices are already jaw-dropping unless 1/2mil is small change for you:biggrin: If I'm not wrong (jin gu not there oredi), that budget can't even get you something decent in Takapuna.

Also, if you want to be in the asian enclave you may experience more uninvited house visits by you-know-whos. Not a bad thing if you intend to spend money on insurances.

Anyway I'll be interested in your or your learned friends' experiences there:biggrin:

Thanks for your comments, Well point 4 is important in its way but without my family's buy in, i won't grow roots there. I brought my parents to US, etc for trips but they didn't like it there so i guess it has to be somewhere nearer the equator.

I think as foreigners we can take loan up to 70%, i just need something modest and have enough for the NZ plan. Even a town house with high fences, etc will be good. I know security stuff, sensor lights, ir cameras, multi point alarms pretty well to do up a perimeter myself. My target is to look for places where its lower crime rate. Houses there don't seem to have much in the way of fences though.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thanks for your comments, Well point 4 is important in its way but without my family's buy in, i won't grow roots there. I brought my parents to US, etc for trips but they didn't like it there so i guess it has to be somewhere nearer the equator.

I think as foreigners we can take loan up to 70%, i just need something modest and have enough for the NZ plan. Even a town house with high fences, etc will be good. I know security stuff, sensor lights, ir cameras, multi point alarms pretty well to do up a perimeter myself. My target is to look for places where its lower crime rate. Houses there don't seem to have much in the way of fences though.

Yes, it is very important to do due diligence to get to know more about the stuff especially you are moving out for a better future and life. It is well worth any effort.

However , you usually will come across those "fear of the unknown" sinkie losers who give all sort of loser type comment and excuse and tell you all the bad things that will surface even though they are not the one moving and got stuck in his own sinkieland.

They just think of the bad stuff here and negative stuff there and they dun realise that they are still stuck in their shithole. It is quite funny if you observe clearly enough and it can be quite an entertainment. The more they think , they deeper they got stuck.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
"fear of the unknown" :confused:QUOTE]

CB Kia tonychat,

what 'fear of the unknown'?? thailand is notorious for their prostitutes, ladyboys, ever changing politicians and emperor-that-can-do-no-wrong.:cool:

:oIo::oIo: ex-convict who kena jilted by spore gal and thus hate everything about spore.. stay n die in thailand.. dun ever come bk, not even for a holiday..:oIo::oIo:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Bro, it should be according to my unsinkified learned friends.

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
we need to be careful with our things anywhere we go even in singapore too.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
we need to be careful with our things anywhere we go even in singapore too.

Well said, i certainly don't feel as safe in SG as before when in the past(even compared to just 5-10 years ago)

Now when i sometimes go to ATM machines here in the evening, you can feel the presence of folks looking behind you. Especially the FTs who are hanging around the ATM machines at the MRT stations. They will walk close to you when you are getting the money so extra care is needed.

Crimewatch even showed how there are syndicates at Chinatown area waiting to prey on folks who just changed their money. I even had friends who posts on their blogs, facebook etc on how safe they are in SG when there are none of the below in Singapore:

1. Robberies
a. Snatch thieves/robbers on motorcycles in Western part of SG increasing
b. Robbers in lifts in parts of SG, have you noticed the CCTV cameras they are putting into lifts of HDB blocks these days? Have you wondered why?

2. Thieves (Google for the FT who raped the Indonesian maid in her employers house)

3. Car break ins (Google for Telok Blangah, numerous cars were smashed)

4. Cheats
a. Too many to mention, there is even one (thankfully got caught) who preyed on poor folks in the home using the pretext of being a volunteer

b. Cheats who keep fleecing money from us, telling us they kidnapped our child, etc

We are just too pampered and lost the basic survival instincts one should always have.

There is a need to be vigilant, everywhere we go. Does it mean that even though we feel SG is low crime, we would leave our main doors/gates unlocked when we go to bed at night?

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Peace to SIFU and Tonychat. Everyone started off meaning well, peace to the both of you and wishing all a great weekend! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.