• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
You have to insist on looking at the parts they are fixing on. Should be ok for JB, so far we have went to 5 and all 5 are ok.

Yes, generally tv cheaper in SG but you risk the tax if they check and found you having a tv in your car. You may be charged anything from 200-500 RM.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also Wuqi any idea about this?

Say i buy a TV in Sg (its cheaper here right) and i bring it into Malaysia any idea about the tax?

I can open up the box to make it look like used... But whats the tax like?

Bro, you frequent in out SG-JB, so i am sure you know which time the officer there dun bother to check your car booth. Or lucky still, no officer.
Good time is during their big holiday like Raya, go in night time.
Or maybe sunday afternoon where there is less car going in.

just act slumber. My fren bought a TV too from PC fair and got away with it :p
not worth to pay them tax. they will keep in pocket. :biggrin:

jus my sharing bro...:biggrin:
Depend on your luck and which lane you choose as well. :biggrin:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks for sharing KNNBCCB, its a matter of luck. Sometimes they still randomly check so just be steady, smile, wave and hopefully just drive through.

The one i encountered was at the first link, to be fair, the guy was squeaky "clean" though, i thought the money he was asking was for himself when he asked me if i would like a lower tax.

He took me to the counter and had a clerk give me the printed offical receipt and when i gave him the money, he refused to accept it and instead i saw the clerk put it into the cash box and recorded this and passed me the together with this the receipt.

sillysinky

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi friends, does anyone know about the double storey cluster houses in austin heights? i have been scouting around for a unit there. looks like the askng price is above RM 500k for a 32x70 build up 2188 sqft.
is it worth it to buy a unit there? anybody got any experiencestaying here before and what was the experience ?
i heard developer price was only RM310k a few years back.
thanks in advance for your opinion.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
By the way, just for indication, for satay lovers, there are lots of satay choices here.

Indicative pricing - (In MYR, your mileage may vary)
Chicken - $0.50
Pork - $0.60 (Non-halal stores)
Rice - $1

I took friends out to lunch recently, we had a good feast of tim sum plus red dates tea with ginseng, etc.

He had a shock when he saw the bill. It was a grand total of $43 RM for a total of 8 dishes with shredded chicken porridge.

By the way, the car repair shops outside Bukit Indah are pretty good, prices are competitive as well.

I am not an expert on car repair though so please let me know if the pricing is bad compared to Singapore. (Pricing in RM)

Yokohama DIN55 battery - Doesn't exceed $220-$240 at most stores
(As pointed out by a bro here, he said this is cheaper in SG so probably disregard this)

Tyre - Michellin/Bridgestone - 185 type - About $275 RM per tyre

Brake pad - Toyota ViOS type - $150 RM for front pair

Oil change, Castrol + (GM brand)AT oil change = $300 RM + free tyre swap from back to front

Solar film for car size such as a MYVI, its $540 RM

For EU cars such as BMW or Benz, you might be better buying the parts from the parts dealer near like Eng Soon Auto and bring them in here to be changed out.

Parts here for imported cars are normally higher than in SG so for certain cars, you are better off with buying the part in SG unless you are looking for 2nd hand parts, then JB may be better.

Bro, u never mentioned the real pricing that we men are interested in. i.e. chionging prices, OKT prices, massage prices etc. :biggrin: Locations of the aforementioned is welcomed too:biggrin:

But seriously, I was really dissappointed about the malaysian govt. requirement for foreigners to buy at least RM$500K property, up from RM$250K. Is there any talk of rescinding this new rule? I don't want to spend that much money. Just looking a vacation type property. Could be condo or something.

P.S. Last month, I crossed into Johore from the Tuas crossing. No traffic at all, just breeze thru customs. I don't know why people insist on using the Causeway. One Malaysian chap told me he can go from JB to Shenton Way in 30 mins via Tuas on a off peak period. Not sure whether thru or not.

xyhan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, u never mentioned the real pricing that we men are interested in. i.e. chionging prices, OKT prices, massage prices etc. :biggrin: Locations of the aforementioned is welcomed too:biggrin:

But seriously, I was really dissappointed about the malaysian govt. requirement for foreigners to buy at least RM$500K property, up from RM$250K. Is there any talk of rescinding this new rule? I don't want to spend that much money. Just looking a vacation type property. Could be condo or something.

P.S. Last month, I crossed into Johore from the Tuas crossing. No traffic at all, just breeze thru customs. I don't know why people insist on using the Causeway. One Malaysian chap told me he can go from JB to Shenton Way in 30 mins via Tuas on a off peak period. Not sure whether thru or not.

Good Morning Brother,

You want to know the prices....I think that you already know it but just in case you are not updated...

Cheong = RM 170 Average
Massage = RM55 to RM75 per hour ( Normal Oil )
RM 65 to RM 95 per hour ( Aromatherapy Oil )
KTV Beer = RM 50 to RM 75 Per Bucket..

The rest , you have to find out directly..

Cheers and have a Good Weekend

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi friends, does anyone know about the double storey cluster houses in austin heights? i have been scouting around for a unit there. looks like the askng price is above RM 500k for a 32x70 build up 2188 sqft.
is it worth it to buy a unit there? anybody got any experiencestaying here before and what was the experience ?

bro, i dun think for a 32 x 70 cost that cheap of RM310k in JB. ( maybe 5-10 years ago ?)
Above RM500k i think is reasonable price. :wink:
heard cluster house is no good feng shui. :confused:

Last edited:

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro, if you want to know about chionging prices or OKT, i believe you are in the WRONG sammyboy forum. Please do make this thread a clean one since our Big Bro Wuqi are so kind hearted to help all the bros here.

Tuas checkpoint you need to pay about SGD15 ? (if i am not wrong to-flo include Msia Tol) that why people use causeway.:smile: A lot for a petrol price in JB if you use the causeway. Causeway of course nearer to JB also.

Yes that chap is right ! From JB-Tuas checkpoint all the way to they city via AYE. very fast can reach . :wink:

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Funds Transfer, seems someone posted the English version:

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?t=75578

I was at Taman Molek to do legal transfer and was summon 30RM for not placing parking coupon where do I pay? Can I pay online via internet or I have to go to POS? Where to pay summon?

Will it affect my state consent?

don't bother to register this online site. Very very slowhttp://www.mykakis.com/malaysia-life/driving/check-malaysia-jpj-and-pdrm-traffic-summons

Last edited:

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was at Taman Molek to do legal transfer and was summon 30RM for not placing parking coupon where do I pay? Can I pay online via internet or I have to go to POS? Where to pay summon?

Will it affect my state consent?

don't bother to register this online site. Very very slowhttp://www.mykakis.com/malaysia-life/driving/check-malaysia-jpj-and-pdrm-traffic-summons

Must be summoned by the bloody Town Council.
Either just throw away the bloody ticket and act blur, :biggrin:
or if you kiasi, then go to MPJBT. (Town Council)
If summon by Polis Traffic, then better pay. :biggrin:

Next time just place the parking coupon lo... RM0.50 cent only rite ? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

G

General Veers

Home, elusive home

Sunday October 10, 2010

Home, elusive home

BY JOSEPH LOH
[email protected]

Of late, there has been a hue and cry about problems of buying affordable housing. Certain factors are being identified as the cause of these problems but are things as clearcut as they seem?

FOR all intents and purposes, K. Anand looks like a young professional who has the world at his feet. He has a steady job as a bank executive, owns a locally-made car, and will be getting married next year. Now aged 30, he has all the ingredients necessary for a blissful married life, except for one – a house to call his own. “Since I got engaged a year ago, I have been looking for a house, but I haven’t found one I can afford yet.”

n_24property.jpg

Anand has a budget of about RM300,000 – a sum which appears substantial – but as he found out, it is not enough to buy the house that fits his criteria. He wants to own a house, not an apartment, and preferably in the vicinity of Petaling Jaya, Selangor. “There is nothing decent below RM400,000 and I do not have that kind of money. I may have to continue renting or look for locations that are much further away,” he says.

Anand’s situation is one which many young professionals are finding themselves in these days. Prices of residential properties have gone up, notably so in the past 12 months (see graphic). This has essentially priced out the young professionals from buying a piece of landed property in popular areas like Petaling Jaya. This leaves him with two choices – either buy a smaller apartment unit or buy a house away from the city.

It is understandable for property prices to rise. However, what the National House Buyers Association of Malaysia (HBA) is concerned about is the drastic escalation of prices over the past few years, says its honorary vice-president Brig-Gen (ret) Datuk Goh Seng Toh. “Prices of houses, like everything else, will go up at reasonable inflationary trends, but it should not be at the rate we are experiencing now.”

HBA honorary secretary-general Chang Kim Loong gives some examples of property around the Klang Valley. He describes that in Kajang, a double-storey house was launched in 2004 for RM238,900, but in 2010, the same type of properly was launched at RM327,600, an increase of RM88,700 or 37%.

n_24chang.jpg

Chang: ‘If they can implement price controls for essential food items, why not for housing?

In Kota Damansara, a house averaged RM330,000 five years ago but today, the asking price is RM600,000, up RM270,000 or 80%. A double-storey house in Puchong cost RM400,000 five years ago, but has now increased to RM600,000, up 50%. Chan Ai Cheng, general manager with S.K. Brothers Realty (M) SB, has witnessed the increase in prices but attributes other factors to the rise.

“In established areas, prices of landed homes have doubled in less than 10 years, but this is a sweeping statement. Rising cost of materials, labour, land costs, scarcity of land in established locations, better designs and finishes, are the reasons for the increase,” she says. There are properties in prime areas that are still affordable, but the question is what one gets for the money.

“You can buy property in Puchong, Kepong or Kota Damansara from RM200,000 to RM400,000, but what you get is a 750 sq ft apartment which is just a pigeon hole,” says Goh. Chang says the problem is not limited to the Klang Valley alone. “It is a problem in bigger cities and towns, and on Penang island, for example, it is worse. Even those earning RM4,000 monthly cannot afford a place on the island. They have to go over to the mainland in the Prai area.”

Real Estate and Housing Developers’ Association Malaysia (Rehda) president Datuk Michael Yam says it could be possible for the young professional to afford a house, but not on a single income. “If he earns RM3,000 a month and you look at the absolute price of landed property, then it is beyond his reach. However, if it is a double-income family, they could still afford something, but it will be difficult,” he says.

n_24yam.jpg

Yam: ‘Costs have gone up by more than 50%’
The burning question is: What is driving up prices?

Chang says it cannot be denied that cost of raw materials has gone up, but that is not the main reason. “The biggest reason is unsustainable demand, driven by easy credit availability and speculation.” Goh is more scathing with his remarks. “Greed and the market are driving up the prices. For every piece of land, developers want to maximise profits, and there is no social responsibility.”

To an extent, Goh understands that developers are businesses driven by the bottom line. “In the Klang Valley, there are no developers who are building affordable single-storey houses. Why build one when you can build a double-storey unit and sell it for twice the price?” Chang goes to the extent of stating that there is an artificial inflation of prices.

“There is an unholy alliance between developers, certain financial institutions trying to maximise profits and reach targets, and even valuers who collaborate,” he claims. He gives an example of a project which when launched three years ago was RM400,000 per unit, but units in a current phase there now cost RM1.8mil. “How is this possible? There has to be some reason for the trumped-up valuation and the banks extending the loan period to 35 years.

These loans will spill over to the next generation,” Chang argues.
Goh also discounts the fact that increasing construction costs translate directly to the current spiralling prices. “We call it the ‘teh tarik syndrome’, when the price of sugar goes up by 10 sen, the price of a cup (of teh tarik) goes up by 10 sen as well.” He explains that construction costs account for about 30% of the ultimate cost, so the drastic increase cannot be justified.

n_24goh.jpg

"Property is speculative income, and they are taking money from our future generation to spend today" BRIG-GEN (RET) DATUK GOH SENG TOH

On his part, Yam counters that the rise in construction costs is an important factor in the price of property. “Costs have gone up by more than 50% for everything from raw materials to labour rates,” he says, adding that the cost of land has to be factored in as well, but not the cost of the land the property is built on. What should be looked at is the cost of the next plot of land that the developer buys to build on, and because of the scarcity of good, serviceable land, this is entirely at the whim of the seller (of the land), he explains.

“For example, he may have bought the land for RM35 per sq ft but today it will cost RM200. If they (developers) sell the property cheap, they will not have money to buy the next piece of land. “The record is now RM7,000 per sq ft in the central KL area. Yes, it may have been an aberration, but the bar has been set.” Developers have also been encumbered with extra, hidden costs, according to the HBA.

“Developers are not charitable organisations so extra costs (including cost of building infrastructure for basic utilities) are passed on to the buyer,” says Chang. He says that developers shoulder the responsibility of building roads and providing infrastructure for utilities, even though some of these providers have been privatised. “In the past, these were under the central government.

These are now corporatised, listed companies but they still enjoy the same deal. Why are housebuyers still paying for their infrastructure?”
Yam says developers are not unaware of the problem. They are aware that there is a big demand for affordable units and the take-up rate will be good, yet are not motivated to build them, he says. “There is an imperfection in the planning law. There should be some enabling legislation to encourage developers to build smaller, affordable units.”

Yam explains that typically, planning laws allow only 60 units to be built per acre on residential title land, which is based on a population density principle. “As a developer, you want to maximise the net saleable area, so you build as big as you can. It makes no difference if you build 60 units of 1,000 sq ft units, or 60 units of 3,000 sq ft units.” “The only ones who are building smaller sized units are the commercial-title apartments, which is based on a plot ratio.

So you can chop it (built-up floor space) up into any unit size.
“The problem is that people who buy them end up paying higher property taxes and commercial rates for utilities.” Yam says the solution could almost be as simple as raising the cap on the number or units per acre. “The planning laws needs to be reviewed so the developers are encouraged to build smaller units for the market.

For example, they should not restrict the number of units per acre, or if they are building small units, more should be allowed.”
The HBA also believes that the Government can do much to curb the unrestrained spiralling prices of property. “If they can implement price controls for essential food items, why not for housing? Both are items of necessity, so why can’t they do that based on the same philosophy?” Chang queries.

A special government task force should be set up, he suggests. “Let us be serious about it and get parties such as NGOs, financiers, industry players and academics to sit down and talk about it.” He says Bank Negara, for example, can play a significant role. “They are the controlling authority for all financial institutions. They cannot control property prices but can control the bank and the environment where the housing market operates.

“They can do this by controlling interest rates, the period of repayment and loan-to-value ratio, among other measures.” Goh adds that the current one-size-fits-all housing policies cannot continue. “We cannot have a policy that is the same for a first-time houseowner or speculator. Singapore, for example, has implemented some sensible measures.

“They have things like a minimum occupancy period, and you have to stay in a place for five years before you can sell it.”
People should not be making too much money from property, Goh reasons. “It is not like the palm oil industry, for example, which is material substantive income. “Property is speculative income, and they are taking money from our future generation to spend today.”

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi,

Whatever you do please buy direct from developer and not from resale market. The property pricing of developer varies depending on construction quality.. and it really varies my fren.

The best developer, in my opinion, is Berinda. It is part of Kuok group and the build quality somewhat reminds me of the Allgreen properties in SG.. ok lah not as great but it should be the best in Johor. A double storey terrace house built-up about 2500 sft in Taman Molek (near Molek Pine) costs 488k MYR, and that's not even corner unit. They are still selling some properties near Skudai called Impian Heights... leading to a golf course. Houses are nice and big but location sucks.

UEM's East Ledang is top notch... but they are more into properties about MYR1m... you get land area 90 x 45 ft and house built up ranges from 3300 sft to 4000 sft. It is the best choice if you think it is not crazy to throw this amount of money in bolehland. However i advise against this because very few Singaporeans will invest MYR1m in Johor. You'll probably end up having Arabs and Sri Lankans as your neighbours.

As for Horizon Hills, it is a nice concept. Unfortunately the company actually developing the properties is not UEM, but the engineering company Gamuda. The are listed and have built some properties, but i am afraid i have to say the houses could be much better built. The materials used, the layout... reminds me of commercial buildings. It does not give you a homely feeling. But that can be overcome by doing up the house nicely. I think the pricing is in the region of 500k for a cluster house?

FORGET ABOUT THE OLD JOHOR ie Mount Austin, Pelangi, etc.. areas near to JB city. JB city is like Gotham city you dont want to live near there. If you are interested only in this locality then go for Taman Molek, Taman Ponderosa or Taman Redang. The shops and facilities around Taman Molek are the most "upmarket" compared to the rest of Johor. Even the Ajisen Ramen there are more authentic than the shitty ramen you get at Ajisen at Carrefour Sutera Mall.

As you might have heard, the Johor government admin centre is being moved to Kota Iskandar. This is the new Johor where all the East Ledangs, etc are. Kota Iskandar is a copycat of Putrajaya to a smaller scale. The generic term used to describe this area is Nusajaya. Unfortunately the place will take probably another 10 years before fully developed and "habitable" but this is just my opinion.

Hence the best bet at reasonable price is the locality around Bukit Indah which encompasses Horizon Hills, Nusa Idaman, Nusa Duta, and tons of Setia Indah properties. They are all accessible via exit 307 ie go from Tuas, travel for 10 minutes, turn into JB-Pasir Gudang highway, then exit 308 to Bukit Indah.

Horizon Hills is kinda large and deep and the most expensive of the lot, but it is nestled among golf course hence the best in terms of lifestyle... but mind you everything in JB is notorius for inability to keep up to the originally intended standard, i don't know 10 years down if the place will still look nice.

SP Setia seems to have properties all over Bukit Indah - they are the builder of budget homes. Well they do have more expensive ones but my opinion is, it is better they stick to what they are good at.. ie build small houses for the local Malays. They have lots of selections of double storey terraces with 4 rooms, but only 1600 - 2000 sft! The salespeople treat you as if you are buying a HDB flat, i hate them. I think they are too used to cheapo customers.

Nusa Idaman is the best bet. This is by UEM. When they started phase 2A about 3 years ago, a corner unit built-up 1895 sft (land about 2800 sft) costs just 300k. Almost ALL of them were bought by savvy Singaporeans.
I think the current phases would costs about 400k plus for something similar, but i dont like them because the car porch is very short. Still... i think you can find something decent at a reasonable price. I mean this is Johor, dont spend too much. The access to Nusa Idaman have become a lot easier with the opening of the new highway exit (the one just before Bukit Indah). I recall someone mentioned about the dark road leading up to the access point. No, dont worry at all. The road is call Jalan Ceria, it is now leading up to the entry and exit point to Pasir Gudang highway. In fact just travel a little more you will reach a big coffee shop - the food sucks but there are scantily clad singers bouncing around at night. There is also a mosque next to this coffee shop. But who cares!

If you want something more convenient then go for the property by IJM Land called Nusa Duta. It is right behind the new Giant supermarket, walkable. Cross the road and you are at Tesco. Walk a little further (haha just drive lah) you are at Jusco Bukit Indah.

That is why i recommend New Johor around this area. Quite a coup to have Jusco, Tesco and Giant within a small township.

You could even avoid getting into the ever irritating traffic along Nusa Bestari. Too many vehicles for roads with only 2 lanes each way.

Hope the info is helpful.

edm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great information guys! Went through the thread and found lotsa useful tips :smile: Keep up the information sharing spirit!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like to find out , if you guys bought over the property like Monte Castilla type. Do we need to pay Conservancy charges ? Will they maintain the property like the building exterior ?

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like to find out , if you guys bought over the property like Monte Castilla type. Do we need to pay Conservancy charges ? Will they maintain the property like the building exterior ?

I've not seen this yet, looks nice.

But Pulai Springs area - location is a problem. On the map it seems quite close to Singapore. But if you are coming from second link, you actually need to pass through the Perling toll and the horrendous Jalan Skudai to reach this place.

The areas i mentioned in my post are far more accessible from Singapore.

Most landed houses with gated security does not have an MCST like Singapore. The areas outside your house are considered public area and is under the town council's maintenance, it could mean you need to endure the long weeds for half a month every month. There is no maintenence or sinking fund. Most of these gated areas simply form their own committee and collect MYR50 a month for security fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.