• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way, just for indication, for satay lovers, there are lots of satay choices here.

Indicative pricing - (In MYR, your mileage may vary)
Chicken - $0.50
Pork - $0.60 (Non-halal stores)
Rice - $1

I took friends out to lunch recently, we had a good feast of tim sum plus red dates tea with ginseng, etc.

He had a shock when he saw the bill. It was a grand total of $43 RM for a total of 8 dishes with shredded chicken porridge.

By the way, the car repair shops outside Bukit Indah are pretty good, prices are competitive as well.

I am not an expert on car repair though so please let me know if the pricing is bad compared to Singapore. (Pricing in RM)

Yokohama DIN55 battery - Doesn't exceed $220-$240 at most stores
(As pointed out by a bro here, he said this is cheaper in SG so probably disregard this)

Tyre - Michellin/Bridgestone - 185 type - About $275 RM per tyre

Brake pad - Toyota ViOS type - $150 RM for front pair

Oil change, Castrol + (GM brand)AT oil change = $300 RM + free tyre swap from back to front

Solar film for car size such as a MYVI, its $540 RM

For EU cars such as BMW or Benz, you might be better buying the parts from the parts dealer near like Eng Soon Auto and bring them in here to be changed out.

Parts here for imported cars are normally higher than in SG so for certain cars, you are better off with buying the part in SG unless you are looking for 2nd hand parts, then JB may be better.

The repair for the cars are very expensive. Better drive your car to singapore to servicing.

Brake PAD - I can get one OEM which is just as good at S$25
Oil change + Tyre swap - 5000km kind oil change , i can get it at $60 + may be add another $30+ for Tyre swap.

As for your tyres, i think we can get it cheaper in Singapore. I can tell you that the car repair shop is making tons of money from servicing Singapore cars alone

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Congo9, can you mind telling me where we can get original brakepads for ViOS for $25 SGD in Singapore? My sister will be very keen.

I should have been more descriptive, the oil change i did is for 7000km so putting this down for better reference where we can compare apples to apples.

I tried to check on tyre pricing with friends but they told me its almost always cheaper in JB? Seems like you know the best lobang in SG. Much obliged if you can list the workshops you use in SG so that bros here can also pay them a visit to save on costs.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best thing is that you buy your own spare parts from the distributor here in Singapore. Ask your workshop to change for you here in Singapore. But you got to have some very basic knowledge of your car. For example,let say when you turn your steering wheel left and right , you can hear TUCK TUCK TUCK TUCK sound coming from it , this shows your car's drive shaft is having some problem. You need to get a change.

Because once you ask your workshop to repair , they will charge you labour cost + parts cost. Usually , they will also mark up on the cost of the parts. Then you will find it very expensive when they mark up here and there.It is the same throughout ... Malaysia or Singapore. Like a few months ago, there is a freak flood here in Singapore. The cars are all being brought to the authorise car repair shop to repair. What happen is that , these authorised car repair shop outsource the job to other workshop. Charge you a bomb. you can go down to Little india ... verasamay road to hunt for cheaper spare parts. 1st hand of course.

Usually for change of engine oil. It cost around $60 (5000KM)to $98 (10000KM). They will also change the oil filter for you which is inside the package. So more then that , ask them to fuck spider. Tyre swap is just bull shit... They already charge you 300RM for oil change. It just to make the deal less bitter for you. Check with your workshop if your engine oil is good for 5000km or 10 000km. If they charge you RM300 for oil change for (5000km), i guess it time to change. Usually for new cars, it is good that you can just service your car when it hit 10000km each time. you can also ask your repair workshop to clean the air filter.

As for your car battery, a OEM battery will do la... S$70 for small one and may be S$100 for bigger one. What i have said is parts + labour cost. The battery will last you for 2 yrs. I

Think the car workshop there is enjoying good business. I can consider a joint venture there. The rental and wage cost is so low and yet they charge you a bomb. Definitely making tons of money from Singaporean.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Congo9, can you mind telling me where we can get original brakepads for ViOS for $25 SGD in Singapore? My sister will be very keen.
==================================================================

Brake pads , you can go for OEM ones. Don need original ones. Waste of time. The labour cost to change should be around $25 bucks.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks for the pointers.

Oh the 300 RM for oil change is also including the auto Auto gear(AT) oil change

Oil change, Castrol + (GM brand)AT oil change = $300 RM + free tyre swap from back to front

The normal 5000 KM one costs about $106 RM here.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks Congo9 on the comments brakepads, i understand the labour is $25, how much do they cost then? I will need to compare apples to apples, original versus original pricing and not oem versus original. So far, its $150 RM all in for the original brake pads plus the installation.

The price to beat should be $65 SG or cheaper bearing in mind we have a slight disavantage of GST in SG.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Congo9 on the comments brakepads, i understand the labour is $25, how much do they cost then? I will need to compare apples to apples, original versus original pricing and not oem versus original. So far, its $150 RM all in for the original brake pads plus the installation.

The price to beat should be $65 SG or cheaper bearing in mind we have a slight disavantage of GST in SG.

A set of Michelin tyres already cost me S$510 ten years ago! (I was rich enough then to afford it) So I reckoned that prices would have moved upwards easily in SG.

As for brake pads, it is best to go for original. I have a Toyota Altis and the brake pads come up more than $65 + labour but not sure if it is compatible with Vios.

Servicing-wise, many of my bros find that MY's price wins hands down but always troublesome to go in specially if you don't live there or not going for makan/golf.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the pointers.

Oh the 300 RM for oil change is also including the auto Auto gear(AT) oil change

The normal 5000 KM one costs about $106 RM here.

The oil for gear box do not be change frequently, not like your engine oil. Anyway, i don travel to JB often so i don know the service centre there. But i do go in there to TOP up my petrol very often.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Congo9,

We are comparing prices, not whether auto oil needs to change as frequently as engine oil.

Mine needed to be changed so i was just sharing that the RM 300 i paid for covered both the engine oil (Castro) and auto gear oil (GM).

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Agree, using the original is the best if pricing is not a big difference. Those that are non critical components, i will still consider OEM but those critical ones, i will stick to the originals.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Congo9,

I am a little confused here, earlier on, you were mentioning the brake pads (OEM) at $25 SGD and then it later turned out to be just the labour cost which is $25 SGD? Or is it $25 SGD for brake pads + $25 SGD for labour, making a total of $50 SGD?

You were also going on about using OEM brake pads when i was talking about original ones. You were also comparing prices on just engine oil (5000km) when i was referring to engine oil + auto gear oil.

Whether or not auto gear oil gets changed as frequently or not is a moot point as i was sharing a particular example(my personal one). We are comparing pricing here and as much as possible, can we keep it apples to apples?

For the interest of clarity, let me elaborate on the details further:

The engine oil, Castrol (7000km) + GM auto gear oil and tyre rotation costs RM $300.
(This is of course including the oil filter.) My auto gear oil change costs about half of the $300, prices vary though, some shops i have went to quoted me higher for auto gear oil change.

The brake pads for VIOS including labour costs RM $150. This was done at another shop as my sis likes to shop around.

Bear in mind that the average price we saw for oil change (5000 KM) one is about RM $106.
You can also get normal 12V car batteries for about RM $125 at the Tesco shops here, price varies according to brand, type etc.

If you have a workshop in SG to recommend which, like you said can do much better than prices in JB, please help everyone by recommending to the bros here.

Last edited:

chonburi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Congrats on your move. From your post, you are working in S'pore? At least JB is close enough. My plan to relocate is BKK where I already got a place. However, distance-wise, can't do something like you.. so it has to be a retirement plan. Spend the rest of my life on probably half the cost it requires to retire in S'pore, and probably a more luxurious lifestyle as well :rolleyes:

Hi Pia, moving to BKK is a good move indeed. I have been in the LOS since 2006 and I only return to SG once or twice a year, usually CNY time.

Are you going to be in LOS on a Work Permit or Retirement VISA?

I am here on Work Permit (Non-O VISA) which allows me to work, apply for driving license, but not own landed properties.

It is good to know SG people are moving to LOS.

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
updated post on cosmetic

Official Distributor
SK II - Malaysia Branch (JB)
Jusco Tebrau City
Jusco Tebrau City,
No. 1, Jalan Desa Tebrau,
81100, Johor Bharu, Johor
Tel: 07-3542591

Metrojaya Plaza Pelangi
Plaza Pelangi,
# 2, Jalan Kuning,
Taman Pelangi,
80250, Johor Bharu
Tel: 07-3345608

Parkson Holiday Plaza
Ground Floor Holiday Plaza,
Jalan Dato Sulaiman,
Century Garden,
80250, Johor Bharu
Tel: 07-3352184

Parallal Importer
http://www.ywaste.net/
http://my.bestbuy-world.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=54

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The critical ones would be brake pads, brake lining, tires. Any other?

Is it really possible to trust the JB guys to provide us with origingal parts?

I had a pretty bad experience somewhere near KL about 5 years ago. have not yet recovered from that catastrophe.

Agree, using the original is the best if pricing is not a big difference. Those that are non critical components, i will still consider OEM but those critical ones, i will stick to the originals.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also Wuqi any idea about this?

Say i buy a TV in Sg (its cheaper here right) and i bring it into Malaysia any idea about the tax?

I can open up the box to make it look like used... But whats the tax like?

Status
Not open for further replies.