• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
About 2 weeks before the Hari Raya festivities, my wife was asked by the cops to pull over...

The reason given was she was speeding at 150kmph.

On that particular occassion she was well within the speed limits driving at about 100kmph on the highway.

You wont believe it. She stood her ground and asked them to produce the data.

After a while they waved her off and said it was the wrong car that they had stopped. (This was on the 2nd link) after JB immigration.

Bro iamapseudoneem, he was referring to their "poodles" who are waiting there as they want to catch errant motorists.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perfect man.... Thanks to you guys this thread especially has not just become attractive, it also remains relevant cause new information is always flowing freely donated generously by bros like you.

Yes i managed to hook up with the Nursery near the Chinese Temple...

Nice place lots of plants.... to choose from.... Maybe he chop me a bit after he saw my Sg license plate. Well you cant win both ways all the time can you?

For anyone looking to get plants the nursery is reasonably well stocked , varieties of plants. He also sells all gardening equipment, fertilisers etc...

I think the guy is Boon Ping
Tel: 019 77 88 666

I guess your contact was from Cowgrass' chap ! The two nusery from Bukit Indah to Sutera mall both have pine tree. First one near a chinese temple on the left, second one after Bestmart on the right (many time you see fruit stall by its side).

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you Wuqi for your instructions it helped me.

Just that when i was driving along the road I forgot if Tesco was to be on the right or the left and vice versa. I then told my wife .... "anyway this is the road lets drive slowly if we cant locate it then it must be on the other side of the road"

And bingo we found it...

Thanks again..

Its the road to Nusa Bestari. Turn left when you see Allianz bank at the intersection. If you turn left correctly, you will be passing Tesco on your left and Giant on your right (opposite)

Just drive straight ahead, all the way, you can't miss it. :smile:

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
About 2 weeks before the Hari Raya festivities, my wife was asked by the cops to pull over...

The reason given was she was speeding at 150kmph.

On that particular occassion she was well within the speed limits driving at about 100kmph on the highway.

You wont believe it. She stood her ground and asked them to produce the data.

After a while they waved her off and said it was the wrong car that they had stopped. (This was on the 2nd link) after JB immigration.

They have been stationing over there for a while, I guess very good $$$. Was caught once for speeding - only 128 km at 110 km stretch, but I paid up on the spot .

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
U offered kopi money or you paid the fine on the spot?

Are we allowed to pay fines on the spot? Do they issue a receipt or something?

What was your fine like?

They have been stationing over there for a while, I guess very good $$$. Was caught once for speeding - only 128 km at 110 km stretch, but I paid up on the spot .

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi gotta disagree on this one.

In brief the Johor economy does not have sound fundamentals on an international yardstick. I am not comparing Johor with cities such as Singapore, HK, Beijing, SHanghai or Mumbai as that would be an apple to grape comparison.

I am looking at second tier cities in large countries. Even here the state of Johor lags way behind in terms of fundamentals, foresight and strategic planning. This is essentially due to Malaysias then obsession with equating KL to Malaysia.

Things finally began to change when Abdullah Badawi or his advisers realised for the fruits of development to spread wide and far there has to be other economic regions in the country too... And thats how a few economic zones were identified and Johor happens to be one such zone. Obviously proximity to Sg was one of the prime factors.

When you compare Johor Bahru (not the state of Johor) with tier 2 cities in other countries you realise that the government has hardly done much or rather anything to build the foundations for a strong robust and resilient economy.

It is a well known fact that "Growth trickles down from Well developed regions" as can be evinced from the HK-Shenzhen example. There are several other such well documented success stories where a neighbouring economy has benefitted greatly due to the neighbours greatness.

Like it or leave it, it would be hard to visualise a thriving Johor Bahru without Spore. Look at what is happening now... The Sg govt enforces property cooling measures in Sg and there is a flush of capital flowing into JB. Now i do not have the statistics to assert if this has resulted in real investment in JB but one cant deny the fact that there have been investors looking elsewhere.

So the ripple effect or the trickle down effect would exist. It would be hard to prove economists wrong.

Hi Prof, probably not, different market, the ripple effect is no longer as great as it was in the past. Their government also did a lot to curb speculation.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Prof,

The trickle effect from SG is definitely there but i was referring to influences from the international market. JB is affected more by SG as JB is only starting to be developed and part of the plans is to make it a self sustaining economy, i understand that SG will have a hand in that.

From what i understand, amongst those buying properties or renting, quite a few are from KL. Seems many are seconded here to either work on PTP or to expand in JB.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha the love hate relationship between SG/JB. JB can't do without SG although grudgingly so especially upon SG$$. SG can't do without JB either with the latter supporting some of the republic's most impt endeavors like water resources and providing visitor mass for the IR. I guess the best bit for us the common folks is to enjoy the best bits of both worlds. Having shifted into JB for a month now, I find myself getting a higher quality of life all round. But then again, the things I could do is limited here in JB career wise and still requires me cross over at this point in time but I am not complaining in fact am very contended with the current arrangement. :cool:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha the love hate relationship between SG/JB. JB can't do without SG although grudgingly so especially upon SG$$. SG can't do without JB either with the latter supporting some of the republic's most impt endeavors like water resources and providing visitor mass for the IR. I guess the best bit for us the common folks is to enjoy the best bits of both worlds. Having shifted into JB for a month now, I find myself getting a higher quality of life all round. But then again, the things I could do is limited here in JB career wise and still requires me cross over at this point in time but I am not complaining in fact am very contended with the current arrangement. :cool:

It is inevitable but the path towards the 'suburbanization' of Johor motivated by Singaporeans hungry for space is surfacing very quickly. Let's face it, Singapore is a convenient place to live in though already very expensive for the average Joe. Notice that I did not use 'nice' as that implies a high quality of living which I don't think is present.

In fact, living in Singapore is no different from staying in a 5-star hotel. It would have all the trappings of first class luxury but I cannot call it home. Most of us still want more space, a garden to plant some nice flowers and a place to walk the dog.

At a price of less than a 3-room flat in Singapore (for some places), I believe that Johor presents an attractive alternative.

Of course, security and employment opportunities there would dissuade some from residing there 100%. But a weekend home it is for me and if the Malaysian and Johor government can get their act together, living in Johor can be quite a welcome proposition in the next 10 years. If they fail, I would just lay out my hammock. My two coconut trees should be quite sturdy by then. :p:p:p

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Both are still interdependant in many ways even though SG has many ways and plans of self sustaining itself, for the common folk, its something quite inevitable.

I have some friends who are so thrifty in Singapore even though they are considered middle class. When they are here, they told me somehow its so peaceful and they can really feel relaxed.

One year plus on, i can see that there is starting to be a really thriving foreign community here. No regrets so far. One of my closer friends recently managed to rent out his terrace for around $2500 RM a month, though the agent told him to charge higher, he told me he already promised them.

Still he is pretty happy with his tenant, also from Singapore. Another close friend of mine, recently rented out his semi-d place at $5500 RM and his neighbour rented his unit out at $7000 RM.

Life here is really pretty ok. Folks here are having a mid autumn festival celebration tomorrow. The other day friends came over during Hari Raya and we entertained them with some fireworks. Lots of our fellow SG Malay folks came over here during Hari Raya to partake in breaking fast and fireworks.

Its really a good place to retire to and being used to the pace of life here now, its really something my friends and i hold dear.

Oh by the way, other than the 24 hour MacDonalds right opposite Jusco (15 seconds away from the CW3 bus terminal), they are opening up a 24 hour polyclinic nearby, right outside the "81 coffeeshop".

One of my new found friends, also from SG told me, when he woke up every day and hear the sound of the birds and the scenic view from his bedroom, its doing wonders for his blood pressure.

I told him, looking at the monthly utilities bills as compared to Singapore, its helping mine too.

Wishing all who moved here as well as those NS bros still in SG, happinessl, peace to everyone.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
By the way, just for indication, for satay lovers, there are lots of satay choices here.

Indicative pricing - (In MYR, your mileage may vary)
Chicken - $0.50
Pork - $0.60 (Non-halal stores)
Rice - $1

I took friends out to lunch recently, we had a good feast of tim sum plus red dates tea with ginseng, etc.

He had a shock when he saw the bill. It was a grand total of $43 RM for a total of 8 dishes with shredded chicken porridge.

By the way, the car repair shops outside Bukit Indah are pretty good, prices are competitive as well.

I am not an expert on car repair though so please let me know if the pricing is bad compared to Singapore. (Pricing in RM)

Yokohama DIN55 battery - Doesn't exceed $220-$240 at most stores
(As pointed out by a bro here, he said this is cheaper in SG so probably disregard this)

Tyre - Michellin/Bridgestone - 185 type - About $275 RM per tyre

Brake pad - Toyota ViOS type - $150 RM for front pair

Oil change, Castrol + (GM brand)AT oil change = $300 RM + free tyre swap from back to front

Solar film for car size such as a MYVI, its $540 RM

For EU cars such as BMW or Benz, you might be better buying the parts from the parts dealer near like Eng Soon Auto and bring them in here to be changed out.

Parts here for imported cars are normally higher than in SG so for certain cars, you are better off with buying the part in SG unless you are looking for 2nd hand parts, then JB may be better.

rw6akr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Life here is really pretty ok. Folks here are having a mid autumn festival celebration tomorrow. The other day friends came over during Hari Raya and we entertained them with some fireworks. Lots of our fellow SG Malay folks came over here during Hari Raya to partake in breaking fast and fireworks.
Btw, where to purchase fireworks in Johor Bahru? I've tried internet but couldn't find any relevant links. It would be nice to have some for New Year celebration with my friends...

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way, just for indication, for satay lovers, there are lots of satay choices here.

Indicative pricing - (In MYR, your mileage may vary)
Chicken - $0.50
Pork - $0.60 (Non-halal stores)
Rice - $1

I took friends out to lunch recently, we had a good feast of tim sum plus red dates tea with ginseng, etc.

He had a shock when he saw the bill. It was a grand total of $43 RM for a total of 8 dishes with shredded chicken porridge.

By the way, the car repair shops outside Bukit Indah are pretty good, prices are competitive as well.

I am not an expert on car repair though so please let me know if the pricing is bad compared to Singapore. (Pricing in RM)

Yokohama DIN55 battery - Doesn't exceed $220-$240 at most stores
(As pointed out by a bro here, he said this is cheaper in SG so probably disregard this)

Tyre - Michellin/Bridgestone - 185 type - About $275 RM per tyre

Brake pad - Toyota ViOS type - $150 RM for front pair

Oil change, Castrol + (GM brand)AT oil change = $300 RM + free tyre swap from back to front

Solar film for car size such as a MYVI, its $540 RM

For EU cars such as BMW or Benz, you might be better buying the parts from the parts dealer near like Eng Soon Auto and bring them in here to be changed out.

Parts here for imported cars are normally higher than in SG so for certain cars, you are better off with buying the part in SG unless you are looking for 2nd hand parts, then JB may be better.

U forgot to mention also beauty products? SKII and Shisedo are better off buying in Singapore as they are 10-20% more in JB then other places.

Wuqi still crossing my fingers for a good buyer to buy my home. Counting 23 days to sign SAP.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
U forgot to mention also beauty products? SKII and Shisedo are better off buying in Singapore as they are 10-20% more in JB then other places.

Wuqi still crossing my fingers for a good buyer to buy my home. Counting 23 days to sign SAP.

Have not come across SKII yet. Been looking for it in JB.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Danteakc, thanks for the addition for beauty care products. Not really an expert on that so thanks for your contribution.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both are still interdependant in many ways even though SG has many ways and plans of self sustaining itself, for the common folk, its something quite inevitable.

I have some friends who are so thrifty in Singapore even though they are considered middle class. When they are here, they told me somehow its so peaceful and they can really feel relaxed.

One year plus on, i can see that there is starting to be a really thriving foreign community here. No regrets so far. One of my closer friends recently managed to rent out his terrace for around $2500 RM a month, though the agent told him to charge higher, he told me he already promised them.

Still he is pretty happy with his tenant, also from Singapore. Another close friend of mine, recently rented out his semi-d place at $5500 RM and his neighbour rented his unit out at $7000 RM.

Its really a good place to retire to and being used to the pace of life here now, its really something my friends and i hold dear.

Oh by the way, other than the 24 hour MacDonalds right opposite Jusco (15 seconds away from the CW3 bus terminal), they are opening up a 24 hour polyclinic nearby, right outside the "81 coffeeshop".

One of my new found friends, also from SG told me, when he woke up every day and hear the sound of the birds and the scenic view from his bedroom, its doing wonders for his blood pressure.

I told him, looking at the monthly utilities bills as compared to Singapore, its helping mine too.

Wishing all who moved here as well as those NS bros still in SG, happinessl, peace to everyone.

Maybe living in MY is not so unsafe after all?

Quote:
omy news
日期: 23/09/2010
新闻来源: 新明日报
记者: 黄建业 郭秀芳
摄影: 陈思源、曾宪隆
乔装环境局人员 6巴冷刀匪绑屋主劫10万

6名男子乔装灭虫人员,持刀抢劫一栋洋房,将女主人、女主人的女儿和女佣五花大绑,抢走10万元巨款。

昨天下午1时左右,在武吉巴督一带的百比林坡,一间半独立式洋房发生一起持刀抢劫案。

洋房女主人王女士(40多岁)受访时说,当时,她开车接9岁的大女儿放学,回家时,看到家门口有一个男子在进行防蚊喷雾工作。

据知,女主人的老公去中国公干,她的7岁小女儿当时则在学校里,屋内只有一名女佣。那名正在做防蚊喷雾的男子走向王女士,说有邻居投诉她家里有伊蚊滋生,他们是环境局派来的,必须检查她的家。女屋主略略看了他的证件后,就打开门。接着,另5个穿着喷雾工人装的男子,也跟着进门。

进到屋内,男子问王女士她家里有多少人,王女士开始紧张,谎称丈夫在楼上睡觉。怎料,其中两个男子却坚持要跟她上楼叫醒她丈夫。到了3楼,男子看到屋内没有别人,其中一人就亮出一把20公分长的巴冷刀,逼她走进一间电脑房,将她五花大绑。

劫匪告诉女主人,他们赌输钱才需要抢劫。完整报道,请翻阅23.09.2010《新明日报》

Quote:
omy news
日期: 23/09/2010
新闻来源: 联合晚报
记者: 管倩莹 陈诗雨 溫伟中
摄影: 饶进礼
带孩子到组屋楼下提灯笼 红衣少妇身中多刀惨死!

中秋节谋杀案,红衣少妇与丈夫和8岁儿,一家三口在兀兰组屋楼下提灯笼庆中秋,之后她带外甥先回附近的住家,岂料倒回来时却被发现身中多刀,惨死在篮球场附近。

这起骇人谋杀案发生在昨天晚上10时许,地点是兀兰50通道第895C座旁的篮球场旁的小路。

死者证实是32岁的何红琳(译音),是一名女书记,来自马六甲,目前已经是本地永久居民。她与同样来自马六甲的41岁丈夫,育有8岁的儿子和6岁的女儿。

案发后,有人目睹一神秘黑衣男子逃离现场,少妇的丈夫与儿子就在10米外,全浑然不知她已遇害。