• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dear Wuqi256,

I would like your opinion about purchasing a condominium in JB. What would be the area/project to look out for and the price range. Is financing similar for both landed and condo? Thanks

Forgot to add, financing is about the same from what i understand though some parts are slightly different. Condos may require more agreement to be signed than a normal landed. Gated/Guarded ones will also require more contractual agreements.

Dicktamby

Alfrescian
Loyal
You sir, are a godsend. Thanks alot for the update. I will pass this around as some of my friends and relatives were keen on HH but they came around a bit too late.

me godsend ? Should be you lah. I'm sure everyone here would agree with me.
Anyway, this is only for Phase 1B9 only which is 24 x 75 double storey link house. I was told only a few units left.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
:cool:
Quoting from another site:

THE STORY OF THE CRAB BUCKET

One time a man was walking along the beach and say another man fishing in the surf with a bait bucket beside him. As he drew closer, he saw that the bait bucket had no lid and had live crabs inside.
"Why don't you cover your bait bucket so the crabs won't escape?", he said.
"You don't understand.", the man replied, "If there is one crab in the bucket it would surely crawl out very quickly. However, when there are many crabs in the bucket, if one tries to crawl up the side, the others grab hold of it and pull it back down so that it will share the same fate as the rest of them."

So it is with people. If one tries to do something different, get better grades, improve herself, escape her environment, or dream big dreams, other people will try to drag her back down to share their fate.

We have been enriched by the talents of people who have had less than "perfect" bodies, whether by birth, accident or disease - Helen Keller, F.D. Roosevelt, Stephen Hawking, George Bush, Stevie Wonder, Christopher Reeve, to name just a few.
They chose to "climb the crab bucket" instead of listening to others.

:cool:

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi sir, i am not an expert on condos but hold on your money for the Puteri harbour one as an expert learned retired doctor neighbour of mine is saving his bullets for them. Buy the higher end condos and buy low floors if you are unsure of the management folks so that you can alleviate lift maintenance problems if it ever arises.

Look for location, amenities and what is it close to:
1. Major shopping areas and amenities
2. Causeway and 2nd link
3. Educity/Government instituitions like Kota Iskandar for example
4. Waterfront
5. Major commercial developments in the nearby area

Pardon me for being sceptic about Puteri harbour project. I was introduce firstly to Ledang Height project follow by a tour of Puteri habour two years ago. I can see that they have completed the government house but the place has nothing to offer and still quite a long distance from East Ledang/Ledang project. Other than being nearer to Singapore , and pretend that it's the Sentosa cove of JB, I cannot find anything else that make it a good location.
It take years to build a town with amenities, is that really such a good bet compare to those condos already with amenities nearby ? I have not visited the harbour for at least the last six months, has anyone with updates about its first shopping mall or first amenity ?

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Welcome to the JB club.

Nusa Idaman from UEM lands should be a good buy.

We would appreciate it if you could indicate to us upon confirmation of your loan the package you signed up for or the freebies you got:

This would help other would be purchasers of properties.

Thanks for this thread. I've been looking around for information on living in JB and working in Singapore, and so far this is the only one that is recent, insightful and being updated regularly. I look forward to discovering more useful tips/guides/info on owning a house in JB.

I have started proceedings to purchase a landed property in Nusa Idaman a few weeks back (thus my extensive researching online) and will share my experience if/when the plan becomes more concrete (i.e. loan is confirmed).

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly i am looking forward to this..... So guys come on....

Set the discussions rolling on any aspect of living in JB.... Without flaming anyone or offending anyone... I am sure wuqi and everyone will welcome all positive discussions.

Now we have a few subject matter experts, we can have a more well rounded view of living in JB.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pardon me for being sceptic about Puteri harbour project. I was introduce firstly to Ledang Height project follow by a tour of Puteri habour two years ago. I can see that they have completed the government house but the place has nothing to offer and still quite a long distance from East Ledang/Ledang project. Other than being nearer to Singapore , and pretend that it's the Sentosa cove of JB, I cannot find anything else that make it a good location.
It take years to build a town with amenities, is that really such a good bet compare to those condos already with amenities nearby ? I have not visited the harbour for at least the last six months, has anyone with updates about its first shopping mall or first amenity ?

Just can't help but compare this Nusajaya to Putrajaya in KL. Govt infrastructure is there but not much else plus where are the people? Am afraid that it may go the same way unless commercial amenities are nearby.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Ok, one difference i can see is the Educity. I just went there just the other day, the area is really almost next to the Educity, some land for colleges and University has been earmarked and you can see their sign in concrete. Plus, there were lots of locals there, i can see from their number plates that they are from KL.

From what i understand from my neighbours, JB recently has gotten some KL folks motivated but exactly why i am not so sure.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Yes, agree. The place needs another 2-3 years at least. This is relevant to East Ledang and Ledang Heights too. Likely good for long term but in the short term - No. If you plan on staying there in the next few months, it will be very difficult, better to buy somewhere else as there is no amenities now although the infrastructure is there. Near the harbour(actually nearer to East Ledang/Ledang Heights) are some shops with a food court. The food court is already up, try the Gado Gado if you are there, not bad, the Ayam Penyet is ok too, chicken not too dry. :smile:

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi sir, i am not an expert on condos but hold on your money for the Puteri harbour one as an expert learned retired doctor neighbour of mine is saving his bullets for them.

Thanks wuiq256, I will take note. It is more for my semi-retirement in years to come. I am emploring both JB and Malacaa.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuqi256
The cost is like $20k -30k SGD for most things including pavilion, coverage of drains, back door, kitchen, etc. Most importantly you don't have to pay for one shot.

U mean the above are the quotation for average renovation cost for whole house?

So sorry, missed your earlier question:

Yes, it doesn't need to take a lot although i know lots who spent like 100K SGD just on one house. The house looks like a mini palace and or has additional 2-3 rooms as a result.

So far, Mr Liu was the only one really responsible, when one light was damaged, without even bothering us, he went out and replaced one for us, even taking the trouble to source and covering the cost. We could also tell how experienced he was from the other guys when the pipes to be used for covering the drains came. The other guy used a very small pipe few inches in diameter. Mr Liu used a humongous one and put drainage holes on some areas, needless to say, the one Mr Liu did does not have any water drainage issues.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi SNAblog,

Sure, good for you. Malacca is cool too!!!
Actually quite a lot of elderly Singaporeans all came from Malacca. Just that most of their children or grandchildren are unaware. Things in Malacca are cheaper but the upmarket shops not so much. Food is cheaper than even in most parts of JB thats for sure and houses are cheap there. If you ever want to, i have an elderly doctor friend who has some properties over there, very very nice local gent, not sure if he wants to sell though. :smile:

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi SNAblog,

Sure, good for you. Malacca is cool too!!!
Actually quite a lot of elderly Singaporeans all came from Malacca. Just that most of their children or grandchildren are unaware. Things in Malacca are cheaper but the upmarket shops not so much. Food is cheaper than even in most parts of JB thats for sure and houses are cheap there. If you ever want to, i have an elderly doctor friend who has some properties over there, very very nice local gent, not sure if he wants to sell though. :smile:

Thanks wuqi256, will keep your offer in mind. :smile:

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Confirmed in Malaysiakini:

Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak's administration has taken a politically risky manoeuvre by raising prices of three types of fossil fuels, sugar and cooking gas.
Both RON95 and RON97 grade petrol and diesel prices will be raised by RM0.05 per litre, while liquified petroluem gas (LPG) will be raised by RM0.10 per kilogramme.

Sugar prices will be raised by RM0.25 per kg.

All price increases will take effect from midnight tonight.

The breakdown of the new prices are:

RON 95 grade petrol - RM1.85 per litre
RON 97 grade petrol - RM2.10 per litre
Diesel - RM1.75 per litre
White refined coarse granulated sugar - RM1.90 per kg
Liquified petroluem gas - RM1.85 per kg
For cooking gas: (each cylinder)
10kg - from RM17.50 to RM18.50, RM1.00 hike
12kg - from RM21.00 to RM22.20, RM1.20 hike
14kg - from RM24.50 to RM25.90, RM1.40 hike

According to a statement from the Prime Minister's Department, the prices of RON 97 will be regulated through a managed float mechanism.

Prices would be adjusted monthly according to international oil prices.

Subsidy reduction plan

The statement added that the adjustment is the first part of the government's plans to reduce subsidies for essential goods as proposed by the Performance and Delivery Unit (Pemandu).

Pemandu, a unit established under the Prime Minister's Department, had warned that the Malaysia may face bankruptcy by 2019 should subsidies not be reduced.

Idris Jala, Pemandu's chief executive officer, said that Malaysia risk becoming like Greece, which is now debt-ridden.

The Najib-administration had been working hard on its charm offensive to sell the necessity for subsidy reductions.

However, critics said forcing consumers to tighten their belts without the government undergoing an austerity drive was meaningless.

It must also be noted that this is the second time the federal government had increased sugar prices. On Jan 1, prices were increased by RM0.20 per kg.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
No matter how many times they raised prices, its still cheaper compared to Singapore. My relatives and ex neighbours came over here for a visit. In the end, spent all the money they brought over here and yet told us they saved a whole lot of money as compared to SG. My uncle forgot but after we reminded him, he pumped a full tank of gas before going back.

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyEZII_MJDw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyEZII_MJDw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dicktamby

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyEZII_MJDw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyEZII_MJDw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Funny LAH !! :oIo:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal

Better go when you are young and able lah. Whos knows got better opportunities....

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Actually there is nothing wrong with going there in old age but i do not like to be forced or coerced to go there when i am on a wheel chair, too old and decrepit to fend for myself.

I would rather go there while young and chope all the good places, rent them out or sell them if i need to so that i have something set aside and a hedge against inflation which i can use for retirement. The best thing is i don't have to be a taxi driver, a security guard or a McDonalds uncle even though i paid so much for education and in taxes to the government but when it comes to old age, i am on my own. With the money i can save, i will grow my nest egg anyway.

If you want to take a long hard look at your finances, easiest way is to go look for those financial adviser or consultant who will tell you how much you need to have when you are XX number of years.

It will force you to think quickly. If even the ang mohs are doing it, you know that its getting expensive even for them in SG especially if they are not on expat package.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
KUANTAN, July 16 (Bernama) -- Foreign-registered vehicles will no longer be allowed to buy RON95 petrol from August 1, said Domestic Trade, Cooperative and Consumerism Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said these vehicles would only be allowed to buy RON97 petrol as the fuel would no longer be subsidised but subjected to a managed float.

"This exercise is in accordance with the government's policy that the subsidy is meant for Malaysians and not foreign-registered vehicles," he told reporters after attending the launch of the National Cooperative Day by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak here Friday.

The government on Thursday announced a reduction in the subsidies for fuel, specifically petrol, diesel and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), as well as sugar.

On the subsidy rationalisation, Ismail Sabri said it would not affect the prices of food and goods.

"From our study we found that the additional cost incurred by traders would be minimal.

"For example, with the new price of sugar, the cost of making a glass of teh tarik will go up by 1.2 sen. So there is no reason why the teh tarik price will go up by between 10 and 20 sen," he said.

Thus, he said, he would meet producers, wholesalers and retailers on Monday to get their commitment not to raise prices.

Ismail Sabri said the ministry would mobilise about 1,600 price observers and 2,000 enforcement officers throughout the country in efforts to curtail price increase.

"Report to the ministry if traders raise prices," he added.

-- BERNAMA

Status
Not open for further replies.