• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Oh i think it went up too much, scary in fact. Yes, i do have one as well nearby in The Golf. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Toyohon, just wondering cos me/wife still working in Sinkyland. Wont really move in (not till 10-15yrs time), maybe mthly retreat, but if decide to buy a unit there very near future, is there anyway can engage "someone" to take care of my renovation (without my constant presence cos of my work commitment) and ensuring all in good order? Wats the cost like?

Corner terrace? :rolleyes:

You can actually contact the contractor i am now using, he is much much better than the rest recommended by the developers that i have used, much to my disappointment. Mr Liu: +60197310958. He was recommended by another neighbour actually. He can look after everthing and supervise things for you. Real turn key solution, i was impressed.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Toyohon, just wondering cos me/wife still working in Sinkyland. Wont really move in (not till 10-15yrs time), maybe mthly retreat, but if decide to buy a unit there very near future, is there anyway can engage "someone" to take care of my renovation (without my constant presence cos of my work commitment) and ensuring all in good order? Wats the cost like?

Corner terrace? :rolleyes:

The cost is like $20k -30k SGD for most things including pavilion, coverage of drains, back door, kitchen, etc. Most importantly you don't have to pay for one shot.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nitecrawllerr u r not in a hurry. So chill. Take it slow and easy. I mean it.

1) To the best of my knowledge renovation contractors in Spore or Malaysia cant be trusted. Il share my lil experience with you. When i bought my HDB and had engaged the services of a reputed renovation contractor... i had told my wife that we should supervise the renovation on a day-day basis. But my wife thought it was not necessary. I still tried to go as often as i could to check out the renovation works... One day i found the floor wet...i wondered how so much of water had gotten on the floor... Only upon questioning the contractor admitted that he had drilled into a waterpipe while trying to get an electric point... Ofcourse he had patched it up without even showing me the damage to ensure that i was not aware of what had happened.. When i saw the patch work it was not done to a good finish. So if you choose to not monitor its usually at your own risk...

2) The other option is to get a licensed architect to check the renovation works... Now this is an option people in many countries use. However i do not see much of it happening in Spore / Malaysia since ppl wanna keep costs low

3) Actually i would suggest that you do it slowly wherein you can monitor the works yourself and you have sufficient time to think thru. For eg you can get the lights done first. This is the most essential part for you to be able to stay in. Anyway since it would be a weekend retreat it wont be much of a burden or inconvenience to you. You may wanna do the grilles too..If you really need do up the aircon.
Now each of these activities do not consume a lot of time. And i mean it. So for eg on one saturday you can get an electrician to do up the lights and fans (ceiling fans where point is already provided) for you. Also you can get additional points done. This would cost you Rm 30 per point to Rm 40 if its an extension.

On another Saturday you can get the guy to do up the grilles for you. Also a one day job.... The drilling is really dirty... So keep a vaccum on hand to immediately vacum the dust generated.

Lastly you could get the aircons installed... Ofcourse keep your vaccuum ready with you to suck out the dust...

So you see three simple jobs done on 3 saturdays under your nose with minimal effort.

And since you are not actually living or cooking there a kitchen would not be immediately required.

Between smokes and drinks with your wife in the car porch under the stars you could then possibly discuss how you want your retirement home to look like...

Honestly what you want today may not be what you want tomorrow. Really .... i dun even think you may wan the jazzmataaz....

4) Best keep it simple. Easy to maintain and easy to take care....

Remember a landed home is not the same as a flat...

Taking care of a flat is easy. But not a landed home. For eg the roof of your landed property may leak but the chances of your hdb/condo leaking are practically nill

If you do not maintain your landed property it deteriorates much faster than a private property would since a larger surface area here is exposed to the elements of nature (if you compare 1 landed unit to 1 flat)

Your landed property gathers dust faster.

How do i know it? I was born in and have lived in a bungalow for a good 25 years before relocating to Spore <My wife is Singaporean and so i am now> where i am cooped up in a flat. So my little words of wisdom...

The simpler you keep it the lesser your recurring expenditure.

But if you have a lot of money to throw then maintenance should not be an issue to you.

And remember if you do not maintain your home.... take a drive around JB.... See how the non maintained homes look like

Obtaining a landed home is just the first step. MAintaining it is equally important if you want it tobe as nice over the years

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just read this article in the ST today and decided to share it with peepz here. Not that i am a critic of investing in JB But i guess its good to wear our thinking hats and analyse this article wrt the Property sector in Malaysia especially JB.... although this article is directly not related to investment in property its good to analyse it anyway since IMF had warned about a property bubble developing in ASIA

IMF warns of risks to Asian economies

The Straits Times
Publication Date: 13-07-2010

Asia may be experiencing a sharp and quick rebound from the global financial crisis, but it has received a word of warning from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

The region, said IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn yesterday (July 12), should brace itself for possible further shocks, including being hit by a potential spillover from the euro zone crisis.

Or exuberant investors could pour so much capital into Asia that parts of the region could overheat, bringing about dangerous credit and asset bubbles.

The warning comes just after last week's growth forecast by IMF for all of Asia - a buoyant 7.5 per cent this year, well above the average 4.6 per cent worldwide. But the IMF managing director also sought to soften the blow, stressing that a global double-dip recession was unlikely as recovery remains on track.

"Asia's time has come, no one can doubt that Asia's economic performance will continue to grow in importance,' he said yesterday at the opening of a high- level economic forum in the central South Korean city of Daejeon.

"But downside risks - including the recent turmoil in Europe - mean that Asian policymakers need to remain attuned to negative shocks."

The region also faces a real threat in the sharp rebound in capital flows that is likely to emerge as investors avoid Europe, the United States and Japan, where growth has been sluggish, for a burgeoning Asia. "Such huge inflow of capital can create instability," he warned.

To manage such a problem, Asian nations could consider measures such as currency revaluation and even temporary capital controls, he suggested.

Jointly organised by the IMF and South Korea, the two-day forum on Asia brings together senior policymakers and economists including Singapore's Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam and his Thai counterpart Korn Chatikavanij. Both men are due to take part in a round-table discussion today.

Yesterday, South Korea's finance minister Yoon Jeung Hyun echoed Strauss-Kahn's concern, noting that developing countries were not doing enough to withstand external shocks from the high volatility of capital flows.

According to media reports, Seoul and the IMF are looking at a possible global financial safety net that would give nations quick access to funds, helping them stave off crises and also discouraging emerging market nations from hoarding foreign reserves. Details are expected to be unveiled in November when South Korea hosts the G-20 summit.

The warnings for Asia come amid emerging signs that the global economic recovery may be losing steam. China's economic growth appears to be slowing down, while the US has reported a stream of disappointing economic data.

Last week, an IMF report also warned that Europe's credit woes could hit bank funding and corporate financing elsewhere, especially Asian economies that are more dependent on foreign currency financing.

As if that was not enough, the European Central Bank and the Bank of England also sounded an alarm bell on a looming credit crunch.

Institutions worldwide, including banks and cash-strapped governments, will have to repay or roll over trillions of dollars they owe under short-term loans in the next two years. As they compete for the bond market's favour, it could squeeze the credit available for business and consumers, dampening economic growth.

Together, these risks pose a longer- term challenge for export-driven Asia, as Strauss-Kahn and other speakers noted.

"It is a trigger for change," he said.

Asia, he pointed out, needed to nurture a "second engine of growth" by boosting domestic investment and consumption.

It is a strategy that some nations in the region are already pursuing, as they try to strengthen their social safety nets to boost private consumption, and introduce more flexible exchange rates.

China, for instance, recently raised the minimum wages of workers in the hope of revving up domestic consumption, a move hailed by Mr Victor Fung, honorary chairman of Hong Kong's International Chamber of Commerce.

He said: "They are putting money into the hands of those who can actually spend."

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
While there has been no specific mention of Malaysia it helps if we guys do our due diligence

1) Is the property scene in Malaysia (read JB) heating up?

2) If not why have prices risen drastically in less than a year? Has there been a real demand or is it a speculators market ( i know the Malaysian govt has taken sufficient steps to curb speculation especially by foreigners)

3) If so then who are these buyers who are jacking up prices? Do the prices signify real value?

4) Considering that just a year ago developers were offering a truckload of incentives to would be buyers.... Now most of the incentives have disappeared and prices have shot up significantly.

5) What then are the fundamentals on which the JB property market is currently based? Strong fundamentals = healthy real estate sector

IMF sounds warning on property bubble in Asia-Pacific PHILIP WEN
April 21, 2010

AUSTRALIA is not immune from a potential property bubble forming in the Asia-Pacific region, according to a report by the International Monetary Fund.

While the IMF found ''no evidence of systematic bubbles'' in the near term, it was concerned that if current economic conditions persisted, asset bubbles in the region could form in the medium term, fuelled partly by an element of speculation in the market.

''As typically happens in housing bubbles,'' the report said, ''many purchasers may have been buying in the expectation of price appreciation, rather than simply for dwelling purposes.''

Asia-Pacific property markets were quick to rebound late last year after the global financial crisis, in stark contrast to other parts of the world.

The resurgence, initially facilitated by unprecedented economic stimulus measures and slashed interest rates, has been further spurred on by a surge of investment in the region, attracted by prospects for strong growth and appreciating currencies. Low interest rates in major advanced economies in North America and Europe have also been vital as investors looked overseas for a higher return on their money.

In Australia, a combination of rapid interest rate cuts and the extension of the first-home owners' grant ensured property remained robust during the worst of the financial crisis. Most recently, there has been a 13 per cent jump in median home prices to the end of February.

While China is often touted as a possible candidate for a potential asset bubble, IMF figures show Australia's house price-to-income ratio is one of the highest in the region, second only to India.

The IMF report comes amid evidence the resilience in house prices has caught the eye of the Reserve Bank. Minutes of the Reserve board's April meeting, when it announced the fifth rate rise since October, showed members noticed the property market's continued buoyancy despite new home loans falling.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
nitecrawllerr;
If you are not living there full-time, you'll probably got to get use to a "rhythm" commuting JB/Sg. As for supervision of renovations, you'll have to check and source for a reliable person. I know its close to impossible but you know how it is, even in Sg. The only advice I can give it not to look at price alone. Gd luck!:smile:

Yes, I can forsee frequent ups and down JB to Spore. Plus my hectic job. Thats why gated and guarded first priority. Next the maintenance part....

You can actually contact the contractor i am now using, he is much much better than the rest recommended by the developers that i have used, much to my disappointment. Mr Liu: +60197310958. He was recommended by another neighbour actually. He can look after everthing and supervise things for you. Real turn key solution, i was impressed.

Tks dude! That number definitely be stored in my HP. :biggrin:

The cost is like $20k -30k SGD for most things including pavilion, coverage of drains, back door, kitchen, etc. Most importantly you don't have to pay for one shot.

U mean the above are the quotation for average renovation cost for whole house? :confused::biggrin:

Nitecrawllerr u r not in a hurry. So chill. Take it slow and easy. I mean it.

1) To the best of my knowledge renovation contractors in Spore or Malaysia cant be trusted. Il share my lil experience with you. When i bought my HDB and had engaged the services of a reputed renovation contractor... i had told my wife that we should supervise the renovation on a day-day basis. But my wife thought it was not necessary. I still tried to go as often as i could to check out the renovation works... One day i found the floor wet...i wondered how so much of water had gotten on the floor... Only upon questioning the contractor admitted that he had drilled into a waterpipe while trying to get an electric point... Ofcourse he had patched it up without even showing me the damage to ensure that i was not aware of what had happened.. When i saw the patch work it was not done to a good finish. So if you choose to not monitor its usually at your own risk...

2) The other option is to get a licensed architect to check the renovation works... Now this is an option people in many countries use. However i do not see much of it happening in Spore / Malaysia since ppl wanna keep costs low

3) Actually i would suggest that you do it slowly wherein you can monitor the works yourself and you have sufficient time to think thru. For eg you can get the lights done first. This is the most essential part for you to be able to stay in. Anyway since it would be a weekend retreat it wont be much of a burden or inconvenience to you. You may wanna do the grilles too..If you really need do up the aircon.
Now each of these activities do not consume a lot of time. And i mean it. So for eg on one saturday you can get an electrician to do up the lights and fans (ceiling fans where point is already provided) for you. Also you can get additional points done. This would cost you Rm 30 per point to Rm 40 if its an extension.

On another Saturday you can get the guy to do up the grilles for you. Also a one day job.... The drilling is really dirty... So keep a vaccum on hand to immediately vacum the dust generated.

Lastly you could get the aircons installed... Ofcourse keep your vaccuum ready with you to suck out the dust...

So you see three simple jobs done on 3 saturdays under your nose with minimal effort.

And since you are not actually living or cooking there a kitchen would not be immediately required.

Between smokes and drinks with your wife in the car porch under the stars you could then possibly discuss how you want your retirement home to look like...

Honestly what you want today may not be what you want tomorrow. Really .... i dun even think you may wan the jazzmataaz....

4) Best keep it simple. Easy to maintain and easy to take care....

Remember a landed home is not the same as a flat...

Taking care of a flat is easy. But not a landed home. For eg the roof of your landed property may leak but the chances of your hdb/condo leaking are practically nill

If you do not maintain your landed property it deteriorates much faster than a private property would since a larger surface area here is exposed to the elements of nature (if you compare 1 landed unit to 1 flat)

Your landed property gathers dust faster.

How do i know it? I was born in and have lived in a bungalow for a good 25 years before relocating to Spore <My wife is Singaporean and so i am now> where i am cooped up in a flat. So my little words of wisdom...

The simpler you keep it the lesser your recurring expenditure.

But if you have a lot of money to throw then maintenance should not be an issue to you.

And remember if you do not maintain your home.... take a drive around JB.... See how the non maintained homes look like

Obtaining a landed home is just the first step. MAintaining it is equally important if you want it tobe as nice over the years

Good analysis there SIR! :biggrin:

How to chill when the kiasu, kiasi, syndrome already in the blood? :biggrin:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh yah, about the exterior, do you paint it as part of your renovation? What is the time interval you paint it again?

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) If you are ok... stick with the STropika original paint. I have done that. However i doubt its quality. So i bet it wont last long. Max maybe 3 years... after which you may wanna repaint. Its one year ago they painted my home although i got my keys only in Jan and i have been staying there on - off for the last 6 months... But i can see that the elements of nature has definitely affected the paint in certain places.So in another 2.5 years i may have to repaint it.

2) you are free to change your exterior color at ST. So you can change it immediately if you like.

3) From my little experience good paints usually withstand the elements of nature for about 4-5 years after which you are expected to repaint if you want to maintain the exterior look. My parents used to get contractors to repaint our home every 4.5 to 5.5 years depending on their schedule.

So definitely you gotta repaint every 5 years. Hence there are some people who choose to have a stone granite finish on the exterior. however even that needs to be treated every couple of years to maintain it

oh yah, about the exterior, do you paint it as part of your renovation? What is the time interval you paint it again?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. He has helped many and should indeed receive an award. He is the best thing to have happened to this forum in a long while. He must have done more than the PAP in de-stressing Singaporeans.

We should pass the word around in others forums and online blog about this thread. I remember when this forum was started 11 years ago, there would be people seeking views on JB properties and lifestyle. The thread would die off and another will appear much later. Finally it has found a home.

The Sultan and Menteri Besar of Johor should give our bro wuqi an award for his persistence and contribution to Iskandar Malaysia!

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) If you are ok... stick with the STropika original paint. I have done that. However i doubt its quality. So i bet it wont last long. Max maybe 3 years... after which you may wanna repaint. Its one year ago they painted my home although i got my keys only in Jan and i have been staying there on - off for the last 6 months... But i can see that the elements of nature has definitely affected the paint in certain places.So in another 2.5 years i may have to repaint it.

2) you are free to change your exterior color at ST. So you can change it immediately if you like.

3) From my little experience good paints usually withstand the elements of nature for about 4-5 years after which you are expected to repaint if you want to maintain the exterior look. My parents used to get contractors to repaint our home every 4.5 to 5.5 years depending on their schedule.

So definitely you gotta repaint every 5 years. Hence there are some people who choose to have a stone granite finish on the exterior. however even that needs to be treated every couple of years to maintain it

Ok thanks for the quick respond.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I agree. He has helped many and should indeed receive an award. He is the best thing to have happened to this forum in a long while. He must have done more than the PAP in de-stressing Singaporeans.

We should pass the word around in others forums and online blog about this thread. I remember when this forum was started 11 years ago, there would be people seeking views on JB properties and lifestyle. The thread would die off and another will appear much later. Finally it has found a home.

Thanks a lot, i just want to help. I definitely don't suffer from any crab bucket mentality and if i find something good, chances are that i will share it.

Just to share with all in case anyone is unaware or forgot this term:
Crab bucket = http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crab bucket

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Quoting from another site:

THE STORY OF THE CRAB BUCKET

One time a man was walking along the beach and say another man fishing in the surf with a bait bucket beside him. As he drew closer, he saw that the bait bucket had no lid and had live crabs inside.
"Why don't you cover your bait bucket so the crabs won't escape?", he said.
"You don't understand.", the man replied, "If there is one crab in the bucket it would surely crawl out very quickly. However, when there are many crabs in the bucket, if one tries to crawl up the side, the others grab hold of it and pull it back down so that it will share the same fate as the rest of them."

So it is with people. If one tries to do something different, get better grades, improve herself, escape her environment, or dream big dreams, other people will try to drag her back down to share their fate.

We have been enriched by the talents of people who have had less than "perfect" bodies, whether by birth, accident or disease - Helen Keller, F.D. Roosevelt, Stephen Hawking, George Bush, Stevie Wonder, Christopher Reeve, to name just a few.
They chose to "climb the crab bucket" instead of listening to others.

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Wuqi256,

I would like your opinion about purchasing a condominium in JB. What would be the area/project to look out for and the price range. Is financing similar for both landed and condo? Thanks

iamapseudoneem

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for this thread. I've been looking around for information on living in JB and working in Singapore, and so far this is the only one that is recent, insightful and being updated regularly. I look forward to discovering more useful tips/guides/info on owning a house in JB.

I have started proceedings to purchase a landed property in Nusa Idaman a few weeks back (thus my extensive researching online) and will share my experience if/when the plan becomes more concrete (i.e. loan is confirmed).

Dicktamby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Just talked to my JB lawyer. He confirmed to me that the RM500k threshold for foreigner's property purchase is in force with effect from 01 July 2010, regardless of new or resale properties.

Hi All

Just came back from HH Sales Office to sign some documents for my corner house. Was told that HH managed to persuade the state govt to temporarily freeze the RM500K threshold for their Phase 1B9 only at golf precinct till end of July. There are still intermediate terrace houses going at 450K there. Not sure if there are other developments that also got special extensions but for those who are interested you may want to ask around before they close the doors again. Good Luck.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi All

Just came back from HH Sales Office to sign some documents for my corner house. Was told that HH managed to persuade the state govt to temporarily freeze the RM500K threshold for their Phase 1B9 only at golf precinct till end of July. There are still intermediate terrace houses going at 450K there. Not sure if there are other developments that also got special extensions but for those who are interested you may want to ask around before they close the doors again. Good Luck.

You sir, are a godsend. Thanks alot for the update. I will pass this around as some of my friends and relatives were keen on HH but they came around a bit too late.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks for this thread. I've been looking around for information on living in JB and working in Singapore, and so far this is the only one that is recent, insightful and being updated regularly. I look forward to discovering more useful tips/guides/info on owning a house in JB.

I have started proceedings to purchase a landed property in Nusa Idaman a few weeks back (thus my extensive researching online) and will share my experience if/when the plan becomes more concrete (i.e. loan is confirmed).

Sure, i hope this thread will be of some use. There has been a few very helpful and like minded forummers contributing recently. Now we have a few subject matter experts, we can have a more well rounded view of living in JB.

Oh nice, Nusa Idaman is very near to HH, right besides in fact and its cheaper so it has quite a few things going for it as well. Do buy the units deeper in if you prefer privacy. The terrace units also has balcony and floor to ceiling windows so its pretty nice.

Nusa Idaman side also has a road (still needs some development though as its unlit) that can go straight to Kota Iskandar, Medini as well as East Ledang and the highway to Tuas.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Dear Wuqi256,

I would like your opinion about purchasing a condominium in JB. What would be the area/project to look out for and the price range. Is financing similar for both landed and condo? Thanks

Hi sir, i am not an expert on condos but hold on your money for the Puteri harbour one as an expert learned retired doctor neighbour of mine is saving his bullets for them. Buy the higher end condos and buy low floors if you are unsure of the management folks so that you can alleviate lift maintenance problems if it ever arises.

Look for location, amenities and what is it close to:
1. Major shopping areas and amenities
2. Causeway and 2nd link
3. Educity/Government instituitions like Kota Iskandar for example
4. Waterfront
5. Major commercial developments in the nearby area

Status
Not open for further replies.