PDA

View Full Version : Living in JB

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Morning so hot at Setia Tropika. Then now the weather so nice and blissful.

what transformation.

The pitter patter of the rain is intoxicating.

Reminds me of my childhood....

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Alamak... Bring back so much memory now...

I... Need... To... Change... My... Children's... Mindset...

Yes, things were not so clean, not so safe back then but man we had fun!!!
Being in JB, allows my dad and me to go back to the good old days, he can
fly his kites any time he wants.

I haven't been able to go fishing much though, heard at some of the jetties here, only 20 RM to be dropped off at the 2nd link bridge and they bring you back at an appointed time.

By the way, Prof, are you planning to enrol your kids in any schools here?
For nursery ages, there are options for preschool, heard Julia Gabriel, Cherie Hearts and Eton House are expanding here as well.
So far, i have seen quite a few Cherie Hearts, at Sutera Mall, Austin Heights, one at Setia and another near HH, Bukit Indah area.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Morning so hot at Setia Tropika. Then now the weather so nice and blissful.

what transformation.

The pitter patter of the rain is intoxicating.

Reminds me of my childhood....

Same over here, now its looking so serene here although the rain hasn't reached here yet. Can still see SG in the far distance.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 05:12 AM
No bro. I only one property in Johor at S Tropika

my wife does not allow me a second investment here.

What to do?

Oh i must have mixed up what you wrote with another bros one then. Understand, sometimes they know best, other times, they act as the safety net i guess. Mine at first was sceptical too but by the 2nd one, she was exhorting me on.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 05:14 AM
How to go Sutera mall from Woodlands check point ? I like to go there ....

If its causeway, very straightforward. after u exit CIQ, follow the Skudai sign and go straight all the way, until u reach a T junction at the coastline. Here, u turn right and go all the way straight again, following the Skudai sign (try to stay in the middle lane or u may be forced to filter out, the roads there are a bit different). After a 15-20mins drive, u should see a giant Taman Sutera concrete sign on your left. Make a left turn here. Once u turn in, drive for a couple of mins more and u will see Sutera Mall on your right, definitely won't miss it. Main thing is to keep a lookout for the Taman Sutera concrete sign la...its hard to miss.

Source: From another forum:
http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2635312&st=80

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 05:17 AM
In Singapore, my son will not want to go out with us. His mind is in the computer games. He will find all sorts of excuses not to. But in ST, if he doesn't goes out with us, he will have nothing to do except housework and homeworks. :D

Kids these days do not know the true meaning of being happy and what life is all about. I wanted my kids to know what a chicken looks like and not what one of my learned friends kids drew of a chicken, packed in a vaccum bag in a grocery store. Oh chickens are born there and we take them from there when their teacher asked them where do they normally see chickens? How about eggs? Oh supermarket too. Fish? Supermarket as well. Its like kids are treating supermarkets/hypermarkets as zoos these days.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 05:25 AM
I wonder if this place is with a gated and guarded precinct?

Permas Jaya is not g&g. From what i know about that area, very few are if at all. I wouldn't go to that area much except for the Jusco there. They also have lots of bank branches nearby there though. Still remembered one time good though, my wife was asleep in my car as we were driving back and we were stuck for 20 minutes on a bridge over the sea. We heard the sound of a ships foghorn and my wife woke up, "where are we?" she asked sleepily, i said over the sea. She didn't believed me and looked out over the window and saw the sea. That was one of the ways we always make lemonade out of lemons. We appreciate what we see at the present and make the best of things. Still remembered one of the few times we got stuck at the Causeway, she took her cameras and took pictures of the Sunset. Breathtaking view.

Bros, by the way, do put your vehicles in P or N (for cars with autogear transmissionwhen stopping for long or being stuck in traffic. Helps you save fuel.

Also noticed something very important, just to share. We noticed (my learned relative actually first discovered) that when going back towards the 2nd link, they do not care if you put in your cashcard if you are going back to SG. Maybe they may scap this later on?

aangsc
01-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Kids these days do not know the true meaning of being happy and what life is all about. I wanted my kids to know what a chicken looks like and not what one of my learned friends kids drew of a chicken, packed in a vaccum bag in a grocery store. Oh chickens are born there and we take them from there when their teacher asked them where do they normally see chickens? How about eggs? Oh supermarket too. Fish? Supermarket as well. Its like kids are treating supermarkets/hypermarkets as zoos these days.

I expose my kids to many farm trips when they were much younger and until today, we still like visiting farms occasionally. So I have got over that hurdle; at least my kids do not draw a KFC drumstick as chicken !!! I believe with some effort kids can be exposed to such farm animals even in Singapore especially the western part where farms in small scale still exist.

geritan
01-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Oic :) Yes, I have seen similar purchases of good promo. A lady bought 4 big bags of XXL prawns on promo, definitely not for own consumption. It happens at Carrefour too, 10 trays of Eggs on promo.

Tesco has bulk purchase stores called Tesco Extra (more for small businesses to buy in bulk), but they are not in Johor.

There is one at Plentong. Btw, if my kid were to attend a pre-school here, will he have problem when P1 enrolment in sin?

aangsc
01-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Also noticed something very important, just to share. We noticed (my learned relative actually first discovered) that when going back towards the 2nd link, they do not care if you put in your cashcard if you are going back to SG. Maybe they may scap this later on?

Now , you remind me about last weekend coming back by causeway , i was not require to pay toll at m'sia and no cash card deduction also. Why ?

abugumgum
01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
There is a Tesco Extra in Johor - at Plentong to be exact, across the Giant hypermart off Pasir Gudang Highway. :)

Indeed, my oversight. I must find my way there, one of the afternoons.

Meng968
01-06-2011, 07:54 AM
This is what i found when i do a search at CPF website

Singaporeans and Permanent Residents will be offered ElderShield coverage through invitation packages sent by post to them by an assigned insurer 3 months before their 40th birthday. Members who do not wish to be covered under the ElderShield Scheme need to complete the opt-out form in the ElderShield package and send it back to the assigned insurer.

Alternatively, members may write in to the insurer indicating their wish to opt out. Their names and NRIC numbers should be indicated clearly and they should personally sign the letters instructing the insurer to opt them out of ElderShield.

abugumgum
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Oh yes.. the Bei Jing Lou serves very delicious chinese cusine. I've been there a couple of times in fact my family & relatives loves it there. I make it a point to bring friends to enjoy some china if they come to visit me (when my family shift in to HH). About cathay resturant in HH, i heard that it's not bad too but ve not try out yet... seems like also a hot spot for wedding dinners...

Cheers...

Ok, will try someday.
I was recommended Grand Straits Garden Seafood Restaurant at Danga Bay (next to Danga View Apartment and Auto Bavaria Showroom / Service Centre) Also has space for wedding banquet.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Skippy
Oh yes.. the Bei Jing Lou serves very delicious chinese cusine. I've been there a couple of times in fact my family & relatives loves it there. I make it a point to bring friends to enjoy some china if they come to visit me (when my family shift in to HH). About cathay resturant in HH, i heard that it's not bad too but ve not try out yet... seems like also a hot spot for wedding dinners...

Cheers...

Hi Skippy, i have tried both, both are good in their own way, a friend of mine will be going to have his wedding dinner at Beijing Lou. Always very crowded on the weekends. Still remembered their fried rice in cocktail glasses. The Cathay one is also nice.

Meng968
01-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Source from CNBC
http://www.cnbc.com/id/43214691

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian households using the most electricity will have to pay higher utility rates starting in June.

Energy Minister Peter Chin said Monday that about 25 percent of all residential customers — those consuming the most electricity — will face an average increase of 7 percent in their electric bill. Rates will remain unchanged for the remaining households.

The announcement comes despite concerns that inflation could spark anger against Prime Minister Najib Razak's ruling coalition ahead of national elections expected within a year.

Malaysian officials have estimated that subsidies for gasoline and other necessities could hit about 20 billion ringgit ($6 billion) this year amid high global prices.

abugumgum
01-06-2011, 09:02 AM
If its causeway, very straightforward. after u exit CIQ, follow the Skudai sign and go straight all the way, until u reach a T junction at the coastline. Here, u turn right and go all the way straight again, following the Skudai sign (try to stay in the middle lane or u may be forced to filter out, the roads there are a bit different). After a 15-20mins drive, u should see a giant Taman Sutera concrete sign on your left. Make a left turn here. Once u turn in, drive for a couple of mins more and u will see Sutera Mall on your right, definitely won't miss it. Main thing is to keep a lookout for the Taman Sutera concrete sign la...its hard to miss.

Thanks Wuqi.

prince5325
01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
About Angel Overseas
Angel Overseas Consultants specializes exclusively in U.K. Immigration and Nationality Law matters.
Mr, Atit Mehta is Solicitors in Willesden, London, United Kingdom. He is handle All the Cases In Angel Overseas.
Our Aim is to Represents some of the best colleges and universities in the UK, USA, Europe, Australia and Canada. Our aim is to provide you with a platform and actualize your aspiration of studying and immigrating in UK, USA, Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore.

Type Of Services:-

• UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia Student Visa.
• UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore Visitor Visa.
• UK-320 Refusal case Solve.
• Financial Help.
• Rejected cases are handled successfully

Specific Services:-

Immigration appeals, Visitor visa , HSMP ,Tier 1 visa applications General, Investor and Entrepreneur , Work permit Tier-2 applications ,Student visa Tier 4 admissions and extensions , Tier-4 applications , settlement/spouse/partner/dependents visa applications.

Angel Overseas
307,Sarthak Complex-1 ,
B/H,Golden Time ,
Swastik Cross Road
C.G.Road,Ahmedabad.
Gujarat,India.
[email protected]

http://www.angeloverseas.com/

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks mate

This is what i found when i do a search at CPF website

Singaporeans and Permanent Residents will be offered ElderShield coverage through invitation packages sent by post to them by an assigned insurer 3 months before their 40th birthday. Members who do not wish to be covered under the ElderShield Scheme need to complete the opt-out form in the ElderShield package and send it back to the assigned insurer.

Alternatively, members may write in to the insurer indicating their wish to opt out. Their names and NRIC numbers should be indicated clearly and they should personally sign the letters instructing the insurer to opt them out of ElderShield.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Smart strategy.

I grew up with this strategy.

By this the government ensures the poor r not affected since they use electricity as a basic necessity.

My mum used to ask me track the usage of electricity to ensure that we did not exceed the basic tier.

Not about affordability though. She just cant see me wasting electricity to this day.

I cant live in darkness. I think its badluck. So i leave all lights on. Even now i get a mouthful from her

Source from CNBC

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian households using the most electricity will have to pay higher utility rates starting in June.

Energy Minister Peter Chin said Monday that about 25 percent of all residential customers — those consuming the most electricity — will face an average increase of 7 percent in their electric bill. Rates will remain unchanged for the remaining households.

The announcement comes despite concerns that inflation could spark anger against Prime Minister Najib Razak's ruling coalition ahead of national elections expected within a year.

Malaysian officials have estimated that subsidies for gasoline and other necessities could hit about 20 billion ringgit ($6 billion) this year amid high global prices.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Cathy macs by end of year hopefully.

Btw u veg.

:D:D

cathylmg
01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Cathy macs by end of year hopefully.

Btw u veg.

:D:D

Woh! nice to hear that bro AP. Veg also can have pancakes, corns, ice-creams, french fries..... btw, worst come to worst, if the children insist, just tell them you vegetarian and you do not wish to have the meat patties in your burgers. They do special order for vegetarians. Extra veges in Singapore MacDonalds.

cathylmg
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Source from CNBC

Petrol increase, electricity increase, sugar prices increase, fresh veg increased by 30% on the news today....what next? Very soon, after conversion, will be at par with Singapore liao. :(

cathylmg
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Skippy

Cheers...

Hi Skippy, i have tried both, both are good in their own way, a friend of mine will be going to have his wedding dinner at Beijing Lou. Always very crowded on the weekends. Still remembered their fried rice in cocktail glasses. The Cathay one is also nice.

I wonder if there will come a day when Singaporeans choose to throw their wedding dinner at JB instead since it is getting so expensive to throw wedding dinners here.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
That would be nice.

I wonder if there will come a day when Singaporeans choose to throw their wedding dinner at JB instead since it is getting so expensive to throw wedding dinners here.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Back from JB.

Now kids having tuition.

Then off to airport.

Tomorrow tuition again for kids and after that return to S Tropika.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Was at the Plentong Tesco Extra this afternoon.

Somethings available and some others not available.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Thats a smashing idea. Only with competition would folks buck up.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Wuqi no.... I am no good at handling plants:o:o.

I love nature thats a different story.

But one thing is for sure I am 1000% better than my maid at handling plants.

Initially I left the gardening to her. Oh what a mess! Now the plants are slowly but surely springing to life.

Its a lot of effort on my side.

Can you believe it i gotta teach her how to plant a sappling? She comes from a farmers family. They have land too!

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Committed developments in Iskandar:
http://www.iskandarmalaysia.com.my/pop-devmap.html

Setias presentation in April:
http://www.spsetia.com.my/corporate/images/presentation/corporate-presentation-April-2011.pdf
Lots of pictures :)

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Aiyoh! Difficult to handle the New Age Kids.

What are they called ? Generation Z or Z++?

Alamak... Bring back so much memory now...

I... Need... To... Change... My... Children's... Mindset...

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
No bro Wuqi, I dun think my wife will be ever agreeable with that idea!

Getting her to live in JB itself is a huge victory for me.

As a result i have to handle all her Data & Telecommunication issues.

Now the house in JB although not fully completed is really comfortable.

I enjoy my stays there.

But well gotta listen to her too!

Understood, different things work for different people. I am lucky that my wife is the more daring type(she flew herself imprompto with the money i sent her to SF, then flew in my parents, sister and kids there as well for a trip)
Back where we lived, both of us learned to shoot a variety of guns so that she is always prepared and can protect her (and me if need be!) :)

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
simple things in life can give you loads of happiness.

You wont believe what i saw last night.

I reached my home about 1150pm thereabouts after my kids were done with their tuition.

They kicked up a big ruckus playing in the carporch area till about 1245. I had to repeatedly warn them to lower their volume lest neighbours think we are being inconsiderate.

One of the games they played..... Brick laying....

Guess where they picked this one from?

Ofcourse from the precint behind mine where so much construction activity has been going on for the last one year. They have seen the laying of bricks, plastering, painting, bulldozing, cranes lifting cement concrete etc.

They were trying to emulate the brick laying last night... Ha ha...

Worse they were trying to get it right and straight... Made me laugh but i did not wanna stop them. They were doing it as a team.

Yes... That is one reason I wan to move to jb where life is simpler...

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Aiyoh! Difficult to handle the New Age Kids.

What are they called ? Generation Z or Z++?

I would call them Gen O. O for Out of control. ;)
But then again, every generation blames the one before, every old generation thinks the next is rotten to the core

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Worse they were trying to get it right and straight... Made me laugh but i did not wanna stop them. They were doing it as a team.

Sounds like you are getting your kids learning the right way, well done. :)

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
BTW how is informatics doing? It was raking in big bucks in the late ninetees to the first couple of years at the turn of the century.

And I wish Informatics also goes that way too! :)

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Was at the Plentong Tesco Extra this afternoon.

Somethings available and some others not available.

Every trip there is a bonus to us as its pretty far out, we would always squeeze in a side trip to the Plentong Giant as well to look at their curtains, the Indonesian decoration items for sale deep inside and also there is a pet store there. Its always interesting walking the bridge to the Giant and seeing that old stone buaya down there.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
BTW how is informatics doing? It was raking in big bucks in the late ninetees to the first couple of years at the turn of the century.

I don't think that good in SG these days but should be ok in MY i think?

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
You can see Spore from HH ah? Wah... nice eh....

Today was a pretty nice and serene day after the early morning blast from the sun.

The rest of the day was really nice.

Same over here, now its looking so serene here although the rain hasn't reached here yet. Can still see SG in the far distance.

avalon74
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
i think its the H pylori bacteria.
You are one of the lucky few who have this bacteria and easily treated by antibiotics.
But for many ulcer is caused by acidity (corrosive gastritis) which does not have a cure... Just medicines to contain the acidity.

Will see if years to come if I am cured permanently or will suffer another relapse.. (cross fingers & toes)

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Definitely agree with you on that.

Oh i must have mixed up what you wrote with another bros one then. Understand, sometimes they know best, other times, they act as the safety net i guess. Mine at first was sceptical too but by the 2nd one, she was exhorting me on.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
H Pylori usually the cure is complete if you have taken your complete course of antibiotics.

You are one of the lucky few were the erosion is due to the bacteria.

Will see if years to come if I am cured permanently or will suffer another relapse.. (cross fingers & toes)

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Wuqi no.... I am no good at handling plants:o:o.

I love nature thats a different story.

But one thing is for sure I am 1000% better than my maid at handling plants.

Initially I left the gardening to her. Oh what a mess! Now the plants are slowly but surely springing to life.

Its a lot of effort on my side.

Can you believe it i gotta teach her how to plant a sappling? She comes from a farmers family. They have land too!

Maybe she was handling different crops? Our maid is super hardworking, very happy with her. We got a lot of good staff too but a few bad ones as well.
New hires especially are pretty hard to hire here, some complain about the long distance, some about the pay even though we were paying 25% above
market rate so the old complaint about Singaporeans being choosy isn't always true as this is pretty universal.

We got one girl who asked for 1500, we gave her 1800 and she still wasn't happy, in the end, we tried calling her to offer 2k but nothing back from her after that. Then another never showed up for first day of work, yet another just quit after 5 days as she said our office too far even though we gave her 250 RM extra for transport.

Being a boss isn't easy, being a good, humane and understanding boss even more so.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Extra bang for the buck complete with fireworks!

Only issue is traffic situation and getting the people to come here and go back.

Unless we bus them.

Thats a smashing idea. Only with competition would folks buck up.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I dare not give directions.

Scared later Grago comes after me.:D:D

Grago no offence la bro:):)

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
You are blessed bro...

A very important reward for all the wonderful things you do to help people.

Our maid is super hardworking, very happy with her.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Aiyo i dare not ask her.... If i ask her one question i will be flooded with a barrage of excuses....

She is so freakin good at twisting and turning her words to the point i wonder if i have gone senile.

We have not sacked her primarily out of sympathy cause she is a single mum. Wish she thought as well.

Unfortunately gratitude is not one of the words in her lexicon.

She is lucky. She travels everywhere we go... Yes every single country we have visited.

Maybe she was handling different crops?

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Agreed bro.:):)

Being a boss isn't easy, being a good, humane and understanding boss even more so.

Grago
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I dare not give directions.

Scared later Grago comes after me.:D:D

Grago no offence la bro:):)

Alamak Bro Plofessor, why you say like that...... I only pray,pray with Bro Wuqi.... now he oso think I scold him:D Bro Wuqi I only joking don't get angry laahh:D:D.
Ai yah, the directions Bro Wuqi gave is spot on unless have GPS, then might have another jalan:rolleyes:

avalon74
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
speaking of which, they do have very good prices over most other provisions. like UHT milk. i prefer them to pasteurized fresh milk. always wait for the 3/4 pack deals to buy in bulk. I once swiped so much I saved over RM$30 from the milk alone! =p

my son's milk powder save me more.. always buy tins..
sg selling sgd 48, tesco selling ringgit 78

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Aiyo lest i sound as if i am trying to create trouble between the 2 of you!!!

No such intention.

Eh Grago..... Hope you dun mind. Il come after you .... everytime someone asks for direction:D:D.

K?

Im sure as time passes there will be more folks asking for directions.

It will remind all of us about you... :D:D

Alamak Bro Plofessor, why you say like that...... I only pray,pray with Bro Wuqi.... now he oso think I scold him:D Bro Wuqi I only joking don't get angry laahh:D:D.
Ai yah, the directions Bro Wuqi gave is spot on unless have GPS, then might have another jalan:rolleyes:

avalon74
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
i also can't remember the name but know which medicine is that becos i took this medicine too when i had acid reflux...remember this price of $4.50 per pill and paying $650 for two or three months supply...had the same bacteria too..

yeah got to take care bro, stomach cancer is very scary and often no symptom until the late stage...my father passed away from stomach cancer many years ago...

Bro, sorry to hear abt your dad.. for me, I had sharp pains that had me cringing in my sleep.. at NUH, the nurses said the patient after me not as lucky, develope cancer & often return for blood transfusion..

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Ofcourse Milk powder got loads of savings...

Got some idiots though. You wanna here what they say? They say "Aiyo dun buy milk powder in Malaysia. Got a lot of nutrients missing. Later dunno how your child will turn out"

Then what about my grandmothers time? No milk powder those days? Still my grandma turned out fine and yes she is very sensible and alert despite her old age.

Hi ya.... HEck care these people lah... I have been buying milk powder for a year and a half in Malaysia. And my kids are as bright as ever!

my son's milk powder save me more.. always buy tins..
sg selling sgd 48, tesco selling ringgit 78

Grago
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Aiyo lest i sound as if i am trying to create trouble between the 2 of you!!!

No such intention.

Eh Grago..... Hope you dun mind. Il come after you .... everytime someone asks for direction:D:D.

K?

Im sure as time passes there will be more folks asking for directions.

It will remind all of us about you... :D:D
No problem, my 15 seconds of fame..... I had hope for something more memorable;)

avalon74
01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Quite a lot of investments there:):)

Not really investment since majority is term insurrance for pure protection..
Only Life plan would be yield some return shd I terminate the plan in future..

The reason why I took life plan with limited pay is it covers critical illness & after 15 yrs of payment, covered for life.. ok deal considering the high premiums..

avalon74
01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow! Avalon, you have so many policies from so my insurance co.

My hubby is not a believer of insurance and so I bought policies early in my life to cover for myself. Since he was young then he did not need so much insurance. He also find it a waste of money. I hope that the cash value from the policies I bought for myself back then can more or less cover him in times of need. I also coaxed him into taking up education policies for the children's too.

Earlier this year, my hubby had an accident with a motorcylist. He wasn't at fault but the insurer just compensated S$70k to the motorist without informing my hubby about it. The motorcyclist was injured very badly and had engaged a lawyer to claim from insurance. I guess the insurance company didn't want any hassle in dealing with such cases. They stopped covering for his van completely. We had been with this company for more then 10 years. Then when we went around hunting for a policies from another insurance provider, 1 of them quoted S$7k plus per year. !!!!???!!! We had to register another new company to transfer this van to the new company inordered to get it insured again.

So you see? Insurance company lend you an umbrella on a sunny day and takes it back when it starts to rain. Money in another's pocket is as good as gone!

Cathy, I suppose the policy you are commenting is more comprehensive car insurrance.. claim history can bump up the premiums.. (I also kenna in the past)
I also heard of cases where a person having 2 claims within a yr that smaller insurrers dun quote..
You can opt to just go for 3rd party insurrance which shd be cheaper than.. alternatively get the insurrance under your name..

Utimately, insurrers are companies trying to make a profit through risk underwriting assessment.. so bo pian lor

Personally I wld strongly advise to take up H&S & term..

avalon74
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Sleep is extremely crucial for a childs overall development.
Some kids do not like to sleep.
Its essential to get them to sleep even when they dun wanna sleep.
Sufficient sleep enhances and maintains their immunity as well.
Even true for adults like me.. haha

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Term is one of the best and cheapest forms of protection.

Check with Dr Money aka Larry Haverkamp.

I think Tan Kin Lian thinks similarly.

Life Insurance is both expensive and yields are lower.

Usually best to seperate out the two ie., (Go for Term + Investment) instead of Life insurance.

After i met my wife she stopped all her investments in Life Insurance. I worked out the sums and showed it to her why its expensive and returns are not substantial.

USually insurance should be used just for what its meant to .... that is protection.

Should never be combined with Investment

However insurance agents and even banks (thru bancassurance) try to combine the 2... Its very expensive.

Visit any POSB these days they love to sell you insurance including endowment and travel.

Their job is banking... We should stick to banking and investing with banks.

For protection we must move on to an insurance service provider.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Me too.... Cant survive without my 8 hours of sleep.

Even true for adults like me.. haha

avalon74
01-06-2011, 02:50 PM

The other viable alternative: garmin.. hehe

avalon74
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Ofcourse Milk powder got loads of savings...
Got some idiots though. You wanna here what they say? They say "Aiyo dun buy milk powder in Malaysia. Got a lot of nutrients missing. Later dunno how your child will turn out"
Hi ya.... HEck care these people lah... I have been buying milk powder for a year and a half in Malaysia. And my kids are as bright as ever!

For those who are interested, enfa series in malaysia is made in Thailand while singapore version is packed in europe..
Thai version more coarse, but taste the same.. (yup, I am the guinea pig)

Mamil series for both countries made in malaysia so no diff in product..

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 04:17 PM
For GPS, i have Tom Tom(left over from travels in US/Europe)
Also, a china made one that i ordered off ebay using igo, so happy with it that i bought 6 and equipped my whole immediate family with it. Also installed igo on my Samsung Ace, Samsung Tab and for my family using the Ace as well. Works pretty well. Having a GPS here is really useful.

wuqi256
01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
For those who are interested, enfa series in malaysia is made in Thailand while singapore version is packed in europe..

Thanks for sharing, i had to do the same. M wife made me do it. So far so good, my kids are happy with their formula here, diapers are priced well too although you will need to compare first.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Yes H&S and Term are a must.

Just for protection.

Personally I wld strongly advise to take up H&S & term..

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I used the enfa. Thanks for the heads up. Never read the fine print. I should have!

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Samsung Tab? Galaxy bro?

If so .... just curious... why did you not opt for IPad?

Also, a china made one that i ordered off ebay using igo, so happy with it that i bought 6 and equipped my whole immediate family with it. Also installed igo on my Samsung Ace, Samsung Tab and for my family using the Ace as well. Works pretty well. Having a GPS here is really useful.

Analytical Professor
01-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Yes Diapers are well priced.

Thanks for sharing, i had to do the same. M wife made me do it. So far so good, my kids are happy with their formula here, diapers are priced well too although you will need to compare first.

hangyong
02-06-2011, 01:12 AM

I reached my home about 1150pm thereabouts after my kids were done with their tuition.

They kicked up a big ruckus playing in the carporch area till about 1245. I had to repeatedly warn them to lower their volume lest neighbours think we are being inconsiderate.

Ofcourse from the precint behind mine where so much construction activity has been going on for the last one year. They have seen the laying of bricks, plastering, painting, bulldozing, cranes lifting cement concrete etc.

awwwwwww....... thats nice!!!

hangyong
02-06-2011, 01:13 AM

after getting into a case... not doing that well in Singapore now

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 01:24 AM

Wow! AP bro, it sound like lotsa fun. I swear by lego bricks but this puts the lego bricks to shame! LOL!

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 01:29 AM

It has turned around from the financial scandal and is in profit now, although still room for improvements. I heard its has a campus in KL near Sunways Lagoon? Hope it comes to Iskandar Malaysia soon. Would definately consider putting my son there since they are mainly doing computer related courses.

hangyong
02-06-2011, 01:42 AM
It has turned around from the financial scandal and is in profit now, although still room for improvements. I heard its has a campus in KL near Sunways Lagoon? Hope it comes to Iskandar Malaysia soon. Would definately consider putting my son there since they are mainly doing computer related courses.

if your son really want to go into computing, go for computer/network security kind of thing...

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 01:47 AM
if your son really want to go into computing, go for computer/network security kind of thing...

Bro hangyong, how about multi-media?

hangyong
02-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Bro hangyong, how about multi-media?

Singapore too many people doing Multi media liao, but non too bright still... and the FTs are still not that much into that field... so if he can compete well against locals, he is ok... since FT side ot a big war...

Gaming design is quite hot and I see it grow... but hack... that is one hell of a though job and need to know physcology.

I have a secondary school friend who loves computers and was using ASCII characters to draw pictures evenback then... now working in Pixar... sometimes you can see his name in the end titles... Liu Gang

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Singapore too many people doing Multi media liao... but so far, the FTs are still not that much into that field... so if he can compete well against locals, he is ok... since FT side ot a big war...

Gaming design is quite hot and I see it grow... but hack... that is one hell of a though job and need to know physcology

Hey! You know what my son said? He wants to write games and sell it online! LOL!

aangsc
02-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Hey! You know what my son said? He wants to write games and sell it online! LOL!

I personally feel gaming development has more potential than networking. Anyway, those in computing will eventually pick up computer networking but agree that computing secuirty is good field but can be dry compare to gaming. You also need to know networking first before progressing into securing it. Constant upgrade require for all these technology field.

wuqi256
02-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Hi Prof, i am not an Ipad person, i am more of an IT guy who wants something that i can easily back up even when the OS crashes and replace battery easily. Not something so integrated that i am totally dependant on the vendor.

Not against Steve Jobs but anything proprietary i try my best to avoid.

wuqi256
02-06-2011, 03:15 AM
IT is a slippery road, many are called but most fall by the wayside. You will always need to constantly upgrade, the few really good ones are well sought after. Most are mediocre at best but does the job well enough. Some are really bad and should move on to do other stuff. My company have vendor/partners who employed FTs, don't even know how to teach properly in English(she is pinoy), we have to keep helping to train her, sending her information and giving her extra time. The time we had to spend on training her, we could have trained 3.5 of our locals. Some of them really really just can't make it, there are some gems amongst the Chinese and Indian ones however. Others like those from Philippines, i notice they become very/extremely arrogant once they reach mid level. My friends in the industry shared this with me many times, only when they need you then they bring themselves down to beg you for help. Once you help them and they get to keep their jobs, even when walking pass you in the corridor, they don't even acknowledge you.

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 03:21 AM
IT is a slippery road, many are called but most fall by the wayside. You will always need to constantly upgrade, the few really good ones are well sought after. Most are mediocre at best but does the job well enough. Some are really bad and should move on to do other stuff. My company have vendor/partners who employed FTs, don't even know how to teach properly in English(she is pinoy), we have to keep helping to train her, sending her information and giving her extra time. The time we had to spend on training her, we could have trained 3.5 of our locals. Some of them really really just can't make it, there are some gems amongst the Chinese and Indian ones however. Others like those from Philippines, i notice they become very/extremely arrogant once they reach mid level. My friends in the industry shared this with me many times, only when they need you then they bring themselves down to beg you for help. Once you help them and they get to keep their jobs, even when walking pass you in the corridor, they don't even acknowledge you.

Bro Wuqi, thats the only thing bad I hear about Phillipinos. I have good impression of them actually. My impression of those mid level phillipinos are that of church goers who are a fun, joy seeking bunch. Lotsa alcohol for them though.

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Also recognition for Informatics brand of courses is minimal.

Id suggest the Courses at NUS or even the ones run by the Spore Polys. Pretty Good. In terms of syllabi.

Not sure in terms of teaching methodologies tho;)

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 03:46 AM
For me i support Android/Open Office etc.

Is that your line of thinking as well?

Yeah proprietary and vendor dependency can be quite a hassle.

Hi Prof, i am not an Ipad person, i am more of an IT guy who wants something that i can easily back up even when the OS crashes and replace battery easily. Not something so integrated that i am totally dependant on the vendor.

Not against Steve Jobs but anything proprietary i try my best to avoid.

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 03:50 AM
ASCII Characters?? Wow.... I never went that way.

Guess what i learnt? BAsic/Cobol/Fortran/Pascal/DOS

And then when i moved on to Unix/C/C++ i thought i had entered the realms of a different world altogether. Oh yea not to mention the Oracle DBMS of 1992...

ASCII... Dun think i could have ever gotten there...

Singapore too many people doing Multi media liao, but non too bright still... and the FTs are still not that much into that field... so if he can compete well against locals, he is ok... since FT side ot a big war...

Gaming design is quite hot and I see it grow... but hack... that is one hell of a though job and need to know physcology.

I have a secondary school friend who loves computers and was using ASCII characters to draw pictures evenback then... now working in Pixar... sometimes you can see his name in the end titles... Liu Gang

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Gaming is good.... But he will have to get into hi end gaming for the buck.

Unless he comes up with something extremely innovative/creative/popular and cheap.

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Computer Security.... You talking about audit trails bro?

Wow... thats nice for sure....

I personally feel gaming development has more potential than networking. Anyway, those in computing will eventually pick up computer networking but agree that computing secuirty is good field but can be dry compare to gaming. You also need to know networking first before progressing into securing it. Constant upgrade require for all these technology field.

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 03:56 AM
Aiyo not just filipinos and alcohol....

Almost every race also loves alcohol right?

bro wuqi, you and many other forummers out here are teetotallers... else could have had a nice chat on liquours....

Alcohol is pretty cheap in the philippines. A bottle of San Miguel is only about 18P (less than 60c) compared to when San Miguel was first launched in spore for $4.

They have whisky/vodka/rum/brandy (local versions) of various hues....

They love to party... They love their guitars too..

You must experience their culture with them...Pretty neat.

Im not arguing if its good or bad.... But nice to have an insight into their culture.

Bro Wuqi, thats the only thing bad I hear about Phillipinos. I have good impression of them actually. My impression of those mid level phillipinos are that of church goers who are a fun, joy seeking bunch. Lotsa alcohol for them though.

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 03:58 AM
I was not aware of this bit... Ouch....

Others like those from Philippines, i notice they become very/extremely arrogant once they reach mid level. My friends in the industry shared this with me many times, only when they need you then they bring themselves down to beg you for help. Once you help them and they get to keep their jobs, even when walking pass you in the corridor, they don't even acknowledge you.

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Aiyo not just filipinos and alcohol....

Almost every race also loves alcohol right?

bro wuqi, you and many other forummers out here are teetotallers... else could have had a nice chat on liquours....

Alcohol is pretty cheap in the philippines. A bottle of San Miguel is only about 18P (less than 60c) compared to when San Miguel was first launched in spore for $4.

They have whisky/vodka/rum/brandy (local versions) of various hues....

They love to party... They love their guitars too..

You must experience their culture with them...Pretty neat.

Im not arguing if its good or bad.... But nice to have an insight into their culture.

Bro AP have alchohol, can talk! :D

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Not alcoholic sia:o:o

Later i kena labelled as alcoholic in this forum:*::*:

No la just that i enjoy to sit down with my wife/mum or in the company of wonderful people (Wuqi would have made good kaki here) and enjoy a tipple.

Bro AP have alchohol, can talk! :D

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Not alcoholic sia:o:o

Later i kena labelled as alcoholic in this forum:*::*:

No la just that i enjoy to sit down with my wife/mum or in the company of wonderful people (Wuqi would have made good kaki here) and enjoy a tipple.

Just pulling your leg bro. :D

I also used to enjoy having a drink or 2 with my hubby too. That was before I took the oath to abstain from alchoholic drinks for pleasure. Now I go for substitutes. :)

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Substitutes got meh?

BTW ur hubby also take oath ah? Else i can hop skip n jump into your territory to share a beer with him;);)

Just pulling your leg bro. :D

I also used to enjoy having a drink or 2 with my hubby too. That was before I took the oath to abstain from alchoholic drinks for pleasure. Now I go for substitutes. :)

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Kids done with the morning session of Chinese

Now sleeping like pigs.

Later the night chinese lesson 8-10pm

After that time to drive down to STropika.

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New project in Iskandar Malaysia set to boost sales

Done deal: Frankie (second right) exchanging the documents with Fujimora (second left) while Tan (right), Takahiro (left) and Ahmad Zahri (thrid right) and Pee look on.

JOHOR BARU: Iskandar Malaysia is set to attract more foreign property buyers who want to make the city as their second home or to invest in properties.

Johor Baru’s proximity to Singapore is one of the strong selling points and many of them are also attracted to the prices of the residential properties which are relatively cheaper compared to theirs home countries.

“Iskandar Malaysia is progressing well since its launch with many infrastructure projects and major developments taking shape within the next one to two years,’’ said Seri Alam Properties Sdn Bhd general manager Frankie Tan Kiat How.

He said this after the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the company and Global Asia Assets (M) Sdn Bhd (GAAM) at the Wealth of Iskandar Malaysia Conference.

Seri Alam Properties was represented by Tan and assistant general manager (Finance) Tan Siew Peng while GAAM by its chief executive officer Fujimora Masanori and general manager Sakanoue Takahiro.

The ceremony was witnessed by Johor committee chairman for Local Government and Housing Datuk Ahmad Zahri Jamil and UMLand Bhd chief executive officer Pee Tong Lim.

The company will develop 110 bungalows, each with a swimming pool with a land area of 4,500 sq ft each and a club house under the Japanese Holiday Homes in Bandar Seri Alam township in Pasir Gudang for Japanese buyers on a 8.09ha site overlooking a lake.

“We believe the project will be a good platform to attract more foreigners to come and buy properties in Iskandar Malaysia,’’ said Tan.

The collaboration, he added, would increase the number of Japanese community within the township which already has from the existing Japanese International School there.

euphony
02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Kids done with the morning session of Chinese

Now sleeping like pigs.

Later the night chinese lesson 8-10pm

After that time to drive down to STropika.

may have heavy traffic on causeway tonight even close of midnight. was caught out yesterday end to end. consider going in 2nd link or monitor on skycam?

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Wah man..... this is real camaraderie....

I like it.....

Thanks for helping me out here.....

Yeah im leaving about 1030pm. May have to use 2nd link as per ur advice.

may have heavy traffic on causeway tonight even close of midnight. was caught out yesterday end to end. consider going in 2nd link or monitor on skycam?

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Substitutes got meh?

BTW ur hubby also take oath ah? Else i can hop skip n jump into your territory to share a beer with him;);)

We used to drink guiness stout go with peanuts. Now got one malt drink, same process as they manufacture, just that they take it out before the fermentations. So taste the same as stout. :) Btw, contrary to popular believe, wine is not vegetarian unless vegetarian wine. ;)

Of course take oaths must take together lah. Cannot be a lone ranger. :D

Btw AP, if theres any consolation to you, one done deal recently by a fellow Singaporean, he bought a corner house at Licuala Lush second hand at RM523k. the 1st owner sell at a good profit hor? :D

euphony
02-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Wah man..... this is real camaraderie....

I like it.....

Thanks for helping me out here.....

Yeah im leaving about 1030pm. May have to use 2nd link as per ur advice.

am happy to help where i can =)

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Not any consolation!

Lots of consolation that..... Wah so pleased already.

So i made paper profit atleast for starters.

Just 15 minutes before reading this i had asked my wife to invest in another.

The answer still remains No. But i am happy.

Btw AP, if theres any consolation to you, one done deal recently by a fellow Singaporean, he bought a corner house at Licuala Lush second hand at RM523k. the 1st owner sell at a good profit hor? :D

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks so much.

am happy to help where i can =)

cathylmg
02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi guys, Friday is the day when PM of both countries will announce the new development of Iskandar. Please stay tuned.

Woo! So excited now! Waiting for the good news!

wuqi256
02-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi guys, Friday is the day when PM of both countries will announce the new development of Iskandar. Please stay tuned.

Yes, first week of June. :)

Analytical Professor
02-06-2011, 01:23 PM
You got lobang in the PMO too ah?

avalon74
02-06-2011, 02:34 PM

How abt the maps? I know garmin has malsing maps which is helpful though I have not been updating for long time..

avalon74
02-06-2011, 02:37 PM

Moved through Enfa to Mamil, stage 2 to stage 4 now for last 5 yrs.. together with petrol.. saved me lots
On top of it, maybank card another 5% rebate for giant, tesco & petrol.. =)

vincentck
02-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Although we are not immediate neighbours, it is still good to know of fellow sporeans from different developments.

Btw i am taking the plunge at NI.

Wish me luck =)

Hi narmi... all the best to you. Which part of NI are you in? Coolsaint and I also purchased properties in NI; mine will only be ready in July 2012, Precinct 8A. Yours?

euphony
02-06-2011, 11:14 PM

i hope this will be one of the 'major' announcements!!!

cathylmg
03-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Yes, first week of June. :)

They had been talking about this sometime back. Am hoping that they implement the single check point soon. Like when you enter Malaysia, you only check-in at Malaysia custom and no more Singapore custom. And when you enter Singapore, you only check-in at Singapore custom and not Malaysia custom. That will definately ease the jam a lot lot more.

Grago
03-06-2011, 01:50 AM
I have been thumbprinted twice in two weeks. Anyone can explain what is going on at the Malaysian 2nd link immigration? I tot at most one time is enough but I was shocked when they asked me to thumb again 1 week later when I am entering. There is usually a jam when this procedure of thumbing is in place. For woodlands side, I tink its much much worse since its school holidays
My wife was thumb-printed 2weeks ago and we were informed this is a one off as she has a MACS. This was to complete their records. Do you have a MACS? If so then must be some record keeping error!

euphony
03-06-2011, 02:25 AM
somebody will reproduce the news here right? =)
I have been refreshing my news feeds... what is the announcement?!!! urgh.

euphony
03-06-2011, 02:26 AM
I dont know if the tuas people purposely do not care or that they forgot. Cos sometimes when I myself forgot to insert, they also never bother. Its been like this for many years. I am not sure if this is one of the big annoucements today but even if they put the toll charges at Woodlands rate, the jam will be massive on a daily basis.

No more smooth drive. No more leisure, peaceful drive on 2nd links as more vehicles (at least 5 times more ) will be flooding Tuas.

hmmm logical too perhaps lower the toll but still more exp than causeway a better deal?

euphony
03-06-2011, 02:27 AM
They had been talking about this sometime back. Am hoping that they implement the single check point soon. Like when you enter Malaysia, you only check-in at Malaysia custom and no more Singapore custom. And when you enter Singapore, you only check-in at Singapore custom and not Malaysia custom. That will definately ease the jam a lot lot more.

actually that would be very good! but provided both sides use the same system.

hangyong
03-06-2011, 02:33 AM

I read from news that Lee Hsien Loong is overseas on Holiday until Monday wor

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110602_005.shtml

hangyong
03-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Yes I just got news that he is supposed to be overseas.. So either the Acing PM will announce or the meeting will be postponed.

dun think meeting will be postponed... Najib will be meeting with TCH instead...

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=591078

hangyong
03-06-2011, 04:15 AM
Is this the news???

Petronas to Build $20 Billion Malaysia Oil, Chemical Hub Next to Singapore
By Manirajan Ramasamy and Yee Kai Pin - May 13, 2011 12:09 PM GMT+0800 .Tweet
More
Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email .. A sign for a Petroliam Nasional Bhd. (Petronas) gas station stands near the Petronas KLCC Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Saturday, Nov. 7, 2009. Photographer: Goh Seng Chong/Bloomberg
.Petroliam Nasional Bhd., Malaysia’s state oil and gas company, will build a $20 billion refining complex bordering Singapore to benefit from increased global demand for petrochemicals and plastics.

Petronas, as it is known, will construct a crude oil refinery with a capacity of 300,000 barrels a day, a naphtha cracker, petrochemicals and polymer facilities in Pengerang, in the country’s southern state of Johor, Prime Minister Najib Razak told reporters in Kuala Lumpur today. It may also construct a liquefied natural gas import and re-gasification terminal in the area, he said.

The project, scheduled for completion in 2016, will help the nation compete with Singapore, which has a refining capacity of more than twice as large even though it has no natural energy resources of its own. Malaysia and Indonesia, Southeast Asia’s biggest oil producers, have lagged their neighbor in investing in specialist downstream facilities, which traditionally produce higher margins.

“This signifies the depth of Petronas’s ambition to capture the opportunities that Asia’s dynamic energy and chemical markets are expected to provide in the decades ahead, especially in the specialty chemicals segment,” Najib said. “These efforts will also strengthen and help diversify the country’s export capabilities.”

Boosting Capacity
Petronas, Exxon Mobil Corp. and Royal Dutch Shell Plc operate refineries in Malaysia with a combined capacity of 551,700 barrels a day, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Exxon, Shell, Chevron Corp. and Singapore Petroleum Co. operate refineries in Singapore with a daily capacity of 1.32 million barrels, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. They import crude from overseas, including Indonesia, for processing and re-export.

“The threat to Singapore is not Malaysia,” John Vautrain, a Singapore-based senior vice-president at U.S. energy consultancy Purvin & Gertz Inc., said in a telephone interview. “If there was a threat to Singapore, people talk about Shanghai or the Arab Gulf. Shanghai is obviously a much larger consumption center, but the problem is there’s not much free trade. It’s not a shipping hub the way that Singapore is.”

The Johor oil and gas hub will complement Malaysia’s Economic Transformation Program, under which the government has identified $444 billion of private-sector led investment to champion in the current decade.

Deep Water
The Johor hub is likely to attract “significant investments from international companies within and further down the business value chain,” Shamsul Azhar Abbas, chief executive officer of Kuala Lumpur-based Petronas, said in a statement. The company is open to partners joining the project, Shamsul told reporters.

Dialog Group Bhd. (DLG), based in Selangor, Malaysia, is constructing Southeast Asia’s first deepwater petroleum terminal in the same area in partnership with the Johor state government and Rotterdam-based Royal Vopak NV, the world’s biggest chemical and oil storage company.

“Pengerang has been chosen as the site because of its water depth of up to 26 meters, which is one of the deepest in Southeast Asia,” Alex Goh, an analyst at AmResearch Sdn., said in a report on May 11. This would make it accessible for very- large and ultra-large crude carriers.

The Johor refinery will be bigger than the combined capacity of Petronas’s existing facilities in Melaka and Kerteh, Najib said. It will produce refined petroleum products such as gasoline, jet fuel and diesel for local use and export, he said.

Chemicals Complex
The naphtha cracker will produce about 3 million tons of ethylene, propylene and olefins a year, Petronas said in its statement. The accompanying petrochemicals and polymer complex will make highly specialized chemicals it said. This would be bigger that the combined capacity of its existing facilities in Kerteh and Gebeng on Peninsular Malaysia’s east coast, it said.

The Malaysia government wants to help transform Johor into and oil and gas hub. France’s Technip SA (TEC) this month opened a 20- hectare plant in the area to produce flexible pipes and subsea umbilical systems used in deepwater oil and gas fields.

Dialog operates the 500 million-ringgit Langsat storage terminal nearby that opened in February 2010. Amsterdam-based Trafigura Beheer BV, the world’s third-largest independent oil trader, is the main user of the facility.

Langsat is less than 30 miles (48 kilometers) away from Singapore, Asia’s biggest oil-storage and trading center, where Dubai-based Emirates National Oil Co. and closely held trader Hin Leong Trading Pte. have storage facilities.

Petronas will decide on whether to proceed with the Johor LNG terminal and re-gasification project by year-end, Shamsul said. It is already constructing a re-gasification plant in Melaka state which other companies can tap when completed in mid-2012, he said.

cathylmg
03-06-2011, 04:17 AM
I read from news that Lee Hsien Loong is overseas on Holiday until Monday wor

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110602_005.shtml

I cannot apprehend that such a big event is going on and LHL is on holiday instead. :confused:

wuqi256
03-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Some news earlier last month:
http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/MAJU26/Article/

Our local business times today:
Warmer M'sia-S'pore economic ties expected to continue: EIU 03/06/11
THE trend of warmer relations between Malaysia and Singapore is expected to continue over the coming years, especially in the area of economic ties, according to The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).

hangyong
03-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Yes I just got news that he is supposed to be overseas.. So either the Acing PM will announce or the meeting will be postponed.

its interesting that LHL is not joining such a big meeting like the Shanri-la Dialogue, and is its 10th anniversary somemore... and even more insteresting to note that he is leaving one day ahead of it.. and returning one day after it...

What could be it that is so important that he is missing this?

hangyong
03-06-2011, 04:30 AM
I cannot apprehend that such a big event is going on and LHL is on holiday instead. :confused:

exactly my thoughts!!!

euphony
03-06-2011, 04:38 AM
exactly my thoughts!!!

first public appearance with other dignitaries from other countries after the sub-par GE performance is perhaps a bit too humbling?
hmm... was looking at skycam at causway end to end queue, bumper to bumper again =(

cathylmg
03-06-2011, 04:41 AM
first public appearance with other dignitaries from other countries after the sub-par GE performance is perhaps a bit too humbling?
hmm... was looking at skycam at causway end to end queue, bumper to bumper again =(

Puzzles everybody right? I wonder.....:rolleyes:

hangyong
03-06-2011, 05:31 AM

talking about bumper to bumper... what on earth is happening siah? the traffic to Malaysia is mad recently, even on weekdays. Is this normal during school Holidays?

I need to go into Malaysia tomorrow morning to settle my bank loan and then again on Sunday to meet the lawyer... :-(

hangyong
03-06-2011, 05:45 AM
How abt the maps? I know garmin has malsing maps which is helpful though I have not been updating for long time..

talking about maps... I will be starting to map out the area around Bukit Indah and Horizon Hills and update to OpenStreetMap.org for all to use... anyone wants to help too?

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 05:58 AM
What you mentioned happened last night...

Bumper to bumper traffic at CIQ at 1am. What the hell?

Why?

Lots of cops tried to ensure the traffic flows smoothly. Despite that ... bumper to bumper traffic.

Spore side pretty smooth

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 06:00 AM
My mum just bought some plants and asked me to plant them this morning.

I taught my maid how to plant..... How to prepare the soil etc...

What kind of farmer is she?:*::*:

And just after i finished planting them..... voila lovely rains......

It rained heavily yday as well.....

I love staying here when it rains....

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Pardon me folks...

Bro Wuqi to help.

Bro Grago to be the critic;););)

talking about maps... I will be starting to map out the area around Bukit Indah and Horizon Hills and update to OpenStreetMap.org for all to use... anyone wants to help too?

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 06:04 AM
I cant fathom whats happening either.

Luckily euphony had warned me in advance. So i was mentally prepared.

I have travelled during all previous school holidays... This is the first time i see such heavy traffic past mid nite.

And yes got lotsa spore cars too

talking about bumper to bumper... what on earth is happening siah? the traffic to Malaysia is mad recently, even on weekdays. Is this normal during school Holidays?

I need to go into Malaysia tomorrow morning to settle my bank loan and then again on Sunday to meet the lawyer... :-(

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Customs is usually country specific.

Like you cant bring in alcohol from malaysia to spore....

Unless they find a way to work that out....

However immigration may be easier since they definitely cooperate a fair bit on the security and immigration part... This one may be easier....

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 06:21 AM
No Bro we have MACS. We were not required to thumbprint.

I am confused.:confused::confused::confused::confused

My wife was thumb-printed 2weeks ago and we were informed this is a one off as she has a MACS. This was to complete their records. Do you have a MACS? If so then must be some record keeping error!

Skippy
03-06-2011, 06:45 AM
No Bro we have MACS. We were not required to thumbprint.

I am confused.:confused::confused::confused::confused

Hmm... It sounds like got double standards.... i've been travelling using the woodlands checkpt... didn't encounter with the thumbprint either by car or taking the bus. But i found something interesting is that for MACS, there's a fast lane for us instead of the normal queue. There's 2 lanes using the machine (something similar for the M'sian) to scan and 2 lanes where there are the officers that check which is the traditional method. Guess what... we humans aren't that receptive to the new change as usual the queue is longer using the traditional method. I think we all would feel much safer, afterall it's still crossing the borders though we have MACS.

Happie TGIF!

hangyong
03-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Hmm... It sounds like got double standards.... i've been travelling using the woodlands checkpt... didn't encounter with the thumbprint either by car or taking the bus. But i found something interesting is that for MACS, there's a fast lane for us instead of the normal queue. There's 2 lanes using the machine (something similar for the M'sian) to scan and 2 lanes where there are the officers that check which is the traditional method. Guess what... we humans aren't that receptive to the new change as usual the queue is longer using the traditional method. I think we all would feel much safer, afterall it's still crossing the borders though we have MACS.

Happie TGIF!

so that means with MACS, we can simply just go to the machine, scan and go?

And mind letting us know which 2 lanes has these features?

Skippy
03-06-2011, 07:26 AM
so that means with MACS, we can simply just go to the machine, scan and go?

And mind letting us know which 2 lanes has these features?

Oopps... i meant when taking public bus arriving at the Msia immigration... there were long queues for the foreign passport lanes so i went to the far end found that there was the MACS lanes and queue was much shorter. As for the machine check in ones, there was not even more than 3 pple using. I guess for cars there's no MACS lanes as yet... it would be great if there's one such lane.. hee hee sorry that i wasn't very clear for my earlier post...

hangyong
03-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Oopps... i meant when taking public bus arriving at the Msia immigration... there were long queues for the foreign passport lanes so i went to the far end found that there was the MACS lanes and queue was much shorter. As for the machine check in ones, there was not even more than 3 pple using. I guess for cars there's no MACS lanes as yet... it would be great if there's one such lane.. hee hee sorry that i wasn't very clear for my earlier post...

alamak... made me happy for a while there.... haha

tansi
03-06-2011, 07:37 AM
I have been thumbprinted twice in two weeks. Anyone can explain what is going on at the Malaysian 2nd link immigration? I tot at most one time is enough but I was shocked when they asked me to thumb again 1 week later when I am entering. There is usually a jam when this procedure of thumbing is in place. For woodlands side, I tink its much much worse since its school holidays

quite sure it is a lack of standard operating procedure; if not, then a lack of training. I got in & out by 2d link many times with MACS before an officer asked me to thumbprint. He then put a sticker in my passport & advised me to show it if I would be asked to thumbthumb again. However, since then no officer ever ask me.

euphony
03-06-2011, 07:54 AM

actually i dun think its feasible knowing how many cars cut queue all the time. sure cars without macs also want to join since its 'faster' which will defeat the purpose whereas human traffic easier to coordinate, if wrong lane just chuck the person out to re-queue again. car, must reverse block traffic etc.

euphony
03-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Hmm... It sounds like got double standards....

Happie TGIF!

actually is triple quadruple standards. m'sia is any pattern also can so long as its done which in a way is refreshing vs. just follow law that we're so used to in SG... =p

hangyong
03-06-2011, 07:57 AM
actually i dun think its feasible knowing how many cars cut queue all the time. sure cars without macs also want to join since its 'faster' which will defeat the purpose whereas human traffic easier to coordinate, if wrong lane just chuck the person out to re-queue again. car, must reverse block traffic etc.

in that case... all lanes should have the machine! :-)

Skippy
03-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Hangyong Bro... Bu hao Yi Shi nei... rang ni bai kai xin le... sori sori...

euphony
03-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I cant fathom whats happening either.

Luckily euphony had warned me in advance. So i was mentally prepared.

I have travelled during all previous school holidays... This is the first time i see such heavy traffic past mid nite.

And yes got lotsa spore cars too

here's my thesis:

1. severe potholes have began to emerge on the ramp up to CIQ cars slowing down.
2. increased traffic esp. m'sian coming in to play casino couple with m'sian school holidays on their side.
3. the m'sian customs side slow down due to thumb print business and they started scanning passports. My MY one got scanned i noticed, previously just flip and go some even just wave me off.
4. the ultra late ones prolonging the queue is because follow sky-cam delay entry but eventually need to cross to get back home?

Do i need to defend my thesis or should I be awarded the PhD(causewaiology) haha feeling a bit light hearted because I skipped work plenty early today got stuck just now but reached home and chilling out. Heading to check out new place at LF to take measurements etc. can't wait.

cathylmg
03-06-2011, 08:36 AM
here's my thesis:

1. severe potholes have began to emerge on the ramp up to CIQ cars slowing down.
2. increased traffic esp. m'sian coming in to play casino couple with m'sian school holidays on their side.
3. the m'sian customs side slow down due to thumb print business and they started scanning passports. My MY one got scanned i noticed, previously just flip and go some even just wave me off.
4. the ultra late ones prolonging the queue is because follow sky-cam delay entry but eventually need to cross to get back home?

I find this traffic problem only started on Monday where school holiday officially starts. The way entering the Malaysia custom from Singapore is jammed all the way up from tebrau highway to Pandan City. Beyond that I do not know. But once up the north-south highway will be very smooth.

Also this new system of putting a sticker on the passport is, I suspected, adding to the delay in clearing the queue. Don't know who is the smart aleck who came out with this idea of the sticker. I hope they stop it completely. :(

Grago
03-06-2011, 09:17 AM
quite sure it is a lack of standard operating procedure; if not, then a lack of training. I got in & out by 2d link many times with MACS before an officer asked me to thumbprint. He then put a sticker in my passport & advised me to show it if I would be asked to thumbthumb again. However, since then no officer ever ask me.
You right, there's a sticker in wife's passport.

Grago
03-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Pardon me folks...

Bro Wuqi to help.

Bro Grago to be the critic;););)
Ok.Ok, thank you for your confidence in me...... Bro Ap I'll buy a Jazz beer when we meet, the 'weight' of my fame is now becoming a burden!!!!!!:*: Will GPS coordinates do Bro hangyong!!

hangyong
03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi bet you just got involved with malaysia trips recently? During school holidays the jams at the causeway and 2nd link is horrible. Its very normal to wait for 1 hour at the custom sometimes just to cross over to the other side.

This is only the June holidays.. considered not so serious.. last year around Dec and Christmas season, the jams are particularly bad and its practically jammed from 7am-1130pm during normal days around the festive seasons as everyone is rushing in to shop. Its not that bad during CNY though!

Anyway this is one of the main reason why I am not planning to stay in jb for good and shuttle to Singapore to work daily. When sch holidays come, my legs will go numb from the jams.

haha.. yah, you are right! for bad jams.. I think 1 hour is ok, I was stuck in one for 2 hours plus. but that one was on a Singapore Public Holiday.

So I guess the jam is always bad during school holidays, be it on weekdays or weekends?
What about in the wee morning hours like 4~5am in the morning? Jam also? I am still thinking of bringing my family up Cameron on 22~26 June

hangyong
03-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok.Ok, thank you for your confidence in me...... Bro Ap I'll buy a Jazz beer when we meet, the 'weight' of my fame is now becoming a burden!!!!!!:*: Will GPS coordinates do Bro hangyong!!

haha, coordinates do me siah... :-)

Just hope when its done, it will benefit others as well.
Alot of Navigation softwares are using the free community maps from there now, and it can still be used offline.

cathylmg
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
haha.. yah, you are right! for bad jams.. I think 1 hour is ok, I was stuck in one for 2 hours plus. but that one was on a Singapore Public Holiday.

So I guess the jam is always bad during school holidays, be it on weekdays or weekends?
What about in the wee morning hours like 4~5am in the morning? Jam also? I am still thinking of bringing my family up Cameron on 22~26 June

I have been crossing the straits daily for 2 weeks. I leave my house at Setia Tropika at 5.35am and reach Malaysia custom before 5.55am. No jam on both side. :)

hangyong
03-06-2011, 01:14 PM
I have been crossing the straits daily for 2 weeks. I leave my house at Setia Tropika at 5.35am and reach Malaysia custom before 5.55am. No jam on both side. :)

thanks for the info, cathy!!!!!!

tansi
03-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Gaming is good.... But he will have to get into hi end gaming for the buck.

Unless he comes up with something extremely innovative/creative/popular and cheap.
I empathize with parents who have to advise their children what to study. What we knew during our school days seem irrelevant to the ever changing present days. Happened to read a web page on local tertiary education,
http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/04/26/our-dying-animation-industry/
It talks about local animation course, won't know if other fields hv similar problem.

Investor
03-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Good news for everyone staying in Iskandar region.

Efforts to safeguard security a success 03 JUNE 2011 , BY THE STAR

Cooperation between the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) and law enforcement agencies especially the police to safeguard public and investors security in Iskandar Malaysia was a roaring success.

IRDA chief executive Ismail Ibrahim said close cooperation between both parties helped reduce the crime index by 24% and street crime by 42% compared to last year.

“We have always acknowledged the fact that safety is of utmost importance and of our investors’ concern.

“In circumventing this issue, IRDA has worked hand-in-glove with the Royal Malaysia Police to ensure safety and security is continuously preserved,” he said.

Ismail added that efforts to boost public security also saw the police increasing its personnel in the special economic zone from 6,172 in 2007 to 9,115 this year.

To further cement the police presence in Iskandar Malaysia, Ismail said IRDA was awaiting the approval from the Police to recruit a battalion strength of 924 Auxiliary Police personnel.

The Auxiliary Police battalion, he said, would be deployed at critical infrastructure and catalytic projects within Iskandar Malaysia.

As part of the National Key Result Areas (NKRA) initiative to “flood” Iskandar Malaysia with policemen, the Johor police, he added, had launched 26 mobile beat bases to complement the additional 480 personnel provided by the e General Operations Force (GOF).

Since the economic corridor, which is twice the size of Singapore, was launched in 2006, it has managed to attract RM70 billion in investments.

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 01:34 PM
at monsta cafe now

pretty bored out here already

the kids insist on going here

any other places i can bring them?

anybody wanna help

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 01:38 PM
down with a very sore throat.

so juz my mum havin jaz at monsta cafe

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
encountered the missin price tag problem at tesco today

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 01:43 PM
for those who pay using sing dollar at Tesco the exchange rate at the cashier is 244

avalon74
03-06-2011, 02:08 PM
for those who pay using sing dollar at Tesco the exchange rate at the cashier is 244

Bro, how come so high? I changed 243 in SIN yesterday..

avalon74
03-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Last weekend, i went through CIQ & was issued the sticker thing.
Today when me & wife went across, we both had the stickers but wife kenna finger printed but i exempted..

Anyone know why some pple need to finger print while others not required?
We have not gotten the MACS yet..

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
at tesco

dettol antiseptic liquid 750 ml 21.50

tesco antiseptic liquid 750 ml 11.50

any diff?

what a huge diff between branded products n housebrands?:*:

avalon74
03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Checked with SEG in the latest double storey development Miyana which is 22x80, was told it cost ard 450K RM..
& the said that the 20% foreign quota filled already!

She was proposing the semi-D which cost 1.5 million.. wonder who will buy when there are other options like HH, LF, EL, LH etc...

avalon74
03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
at tesco

any diff?

Tot Dettol also Malaysia brand? my wife fav product.. haha

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 02:32 PM
maybe made in malaysia but its manufactured by an mnc

at tesco

any diff?

Tot Dettol also Malaysia brand? my wife fav product.. haha

euphony
03-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Checked with SEG in the latest double storey development Miyana which is 22x80, was told it cost ard 450K RM..

She was proposing the semi-D which cost 1.5 million.. wonder who will buy when there are other options like HH, LF, EL, LH etc...

i wonder how does setia development precincts get their names all of them so fluid and colorful sounding yet non routine english names. yeh there is much supply in the nusajaya area and the developers are asking for a lot of money as well even though it is still cheaper than SG per sq ft basis.

avalon74
03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
i wonder how does setia development precincts get their names all of them so fluid and colorful sounding yet non routine english names. yeh there is much supply in the nusajaya area and the developers are asking for a lot of money as well even though it is still cheaper than SG per sq ft basis.

However the name is only used during the sales document.. current address is just street name also..
Reminds me of BTO in Singapore where all fancyful names but after building, not stated anywhere (maps or directories)..
even taxi uncles dunno.. thats the diff to condos..

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Sometimes i wonder why Setia prices its properties above premium.

I just dun get it. Despite all that.... its still well taken up and sold.

Now Horizon Hills from my observations is a wonderful development. How does Setia manage to price above HH and still walk away with the sale?:confused::confused::*::*:

edm23
03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
here's my thesis:

Heading to check out new place at LF to take measurements etc. can't wait.

You have committed already?

Analytical Professor
03-06-2011, 04:31 PM
I wonder as well. I love their names.... Nice sounding leh.

Agreed so much suppy..... developers asking for the sky.... and still all sold out????:*::*::*::*:

Pray what are the factors driving the market/

Sometime back i had wanted to discuss market fundamentals hoping that the market is not driven by speculators which would therefore logically lead to a crash.

euphony
03-06-2011, 04:33 PM
You have committed already?

yea. =) not too long ago. doing the planning and prep before actual shift and waiting for the 'ghost' month to pass.

euphony
03-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I wonder as well. I love their names.... Nice sounding leh.

Agreed so much suppy..... developers asking for the sky.... and still all sold out????:*::*::*::*:

Pray what are the factors driving the market/

Sometime back i had wanted to discuss market fundamentals hoping that the market is not driven by speculators which would therefore logically lead to a crash.

I wonder if they used a software to generate the names. i know pharmaceutical industries do to generate drug names =)

I also hear there is a certain speculative element too for these houses but are usually booked even before the house/precinct plan is drawn according to one of the sales rep in HH who will then flip them as they are launched. These people are usually foreigners (not SG) who markets the development to their own people back home. Though I suspect the majority who buys at launch are earnest owners or buying to generate rental income to diversify their portfolio. Still if the housing prices are maintaining its upwards momentum it may soon reach into the league of KL and Penang even though the supply-demand is skewed in comparison to the other 2.

edm23
04-06-2011, 01:48 AM
yea. =) not too long ago. doing the planning and prep before actual shift and waiting for the 'ghost' month to pass.

Nice, welcome neighbour :) You bought the fully furnished units?

euphony
04-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Nice, welcome neighbour :) You bought the fully furnished units?

personally find the fully furnished ones on the exp side of things. bought the original one so that i can have the excitement of doing it up from scratch. furniture and slight renovations. =)

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Way to go!

personally find the fully furnished ones on the exp side of things. bought the original one so that i can have the excitement of doing it up from scratch. furniture and slight renovations. =)

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 03:02 AM
This mornin i checked the camera for traffic situation at ciq. Was horrendous.

So i decided to enter spore via tuas

free flowing

however i was greeted by the horrifying site of a huge jam at tuas in the direction of of malaysia

will probably take hours to clear

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 03:08 AM
On friday i accidentally used the rm 8/day plan for browsing.

This morning i hooked onto the rm15/week unlimited plan

what a huge diff in price?

Same network or diff networks?

Why so much price variation

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Man, went through customs yesterday through 2nd link at 11pm, jammed. Then my sister turned around and jokingly blamed me.

Been pretty busy the last few days, in between my job(sometimes work 2 days in a row), helping wife with her business and doing IT set up for her, seldom get any down time.

Even weekends are spent mostly working or volunteering.

My time the past few days:

1. Fixing neighbours wireless network APs and pc
2. Fixing neighbours water tap
3. Got contractors to fix 2 tenants roof
4. Got electrician to fix 1 tenants electrical lights and replacement
5. Got electrician to fix a friends kitchen lights
6. Got contractor to stick a piece of tile (past defect period) for a friend, got charged a huge sum for a piece of tile, told my friend its a small sum and i will cover
7. Helped a friend fix up car tyres
8. Helped a friend get painting done for his car
9. Helped a friend check his defects and got tiles changed
10. Secretly been helping a friend with his defects, contractor wanted to stop but pushed so although it was delayed, it was all good. (Got the feeling his mum thinks i profit from helping them so just help silently)
11. Helping friend water their plants.
12. Driving my friends car to fix their timing belt (by the way, Gates timing belts are great)
13. Helping a friend with his phone mms and network settings

By the way, i am thinking of getting a small repeater so that my immediate area can get even better SG mobile reception.

Grago
04-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Was thinking of taking family down to Monsta Cafe at Bukit Indah..... Bro AP fav. haunt...... shocked to see the traffic at Causeway and the thought of 2nd link. Read AP's post :( about 2nd link. Decided better stay in Sg. Happy weekend all:)

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Wow that would be great Wuqi if you can get a repeater to boost the Spore signal which means your area will have access to faster Spore signals costs aside.

Wish i could do that at Setia Tropika.

Please let us know how you achieve success here. That would be great.

How much does a repeater cost?

karmabear
04-06-2011, 05:51 AM
malaysia side doing some cheebye biometric shit so jamming the causeway. I was there at 11pm 2nd link. I dunno why the Malaysians must always come up with this type of fuck things when everything was doing fine.

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Yeah horrible traffic situation.

I had my sons bday party today in Spore. So no choice had to come down to spore..

Lucky for me..... CIQ was heavily jammed and i quickly checked Tuas and headed towards Tuas.

No jam for me though.

But the jam to enter Malaysia unbelievable. Felt that CNY was round the corner.

Was thinking of taking family down to Monsta Cafe at Bukit Indah..... Bro AP fav. haunt...... shocked to see the traffic at Causeway and the thought of 2nd link. Read AP's post :( about 2nd link. Decided better stay in Sg. Happy weekend all:)

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Nt my favourite any more la bro.

Tired of it already.

Kids however insist on it.

Any other good places where you can let the kids run around safely?

I need a break..... from Monsta Cafe.... They dun like the traditional ones like Station One.... They find it boring...

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Horizon hills it should work i guess as long as can pick up signal and boost the signal strength. (They have built in signal amplifiers right?)

I studied electronics for 2 years during my JC as one of my special subjects.

However have since forgotten everything.

Wished the signals could reach Tropika.... But alas no where in sight....

Man, went through customs yesterday through 2nd link at 11pm, jammed. Then my sister turned around and jokingly blamed me.

Been pretty busy the last few days, in between my job(sometimes work 2 days in a row), helping wife with her business and doing IT set up for her, seldom get any down time.

Even weekends are spent mostly working or volunteering.

My time the past few days:

1. Fixing neighbours wireless network APs and pc
2. Fixing neighbours water tap
3. Got contractors to fix 2 tenants roof
4. Got electrician to fix 1 tenants electrical lights and replacement
5. Got electrician to fix a friends kitchen lights
6. Got contractor to stick a piece of tile (past defect period) for a friend, got charged a huge sum for a piece of tile, told my friend its a small sum and i will cover
7. Helped a friend fix up car tyres
8. Helped a friend get painting done for his car
9. Helped a friend check his defects and got tiles changed
10. Secretly been helping a friend with his defects, contractor wanted to stop but pushed so although it was delayed, it was all good. (Got the feeling his mum thinks i profit from helping them so just help silently)
11. Helping friend water their plants.
12. Driving my friends car to fix their timing belt (by the way, Gates timing belts are great)
13. Helping a friend with his phone mms and network settings

By the way, i am thinking of getting a small repeater so that my immediate area can get even better SG mobile reception.

Hi wuqi, will the Repeater work for my starhub mobile?

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 06:16 AM
not considering securing your network so that only you have access to it apart from your tenants?

euphony
04-06-2011, 07:08 AM
checked skycam came out to Sg only 1:30+ when the traffic started clearing up. when I passed the BKE entering into woodlands check point dropped my jaws. inbound traffic queue reached SLE exit!!! sian wonder how to go back afterwards maybe squat some friend's place. =(

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 09:02 AM
hmmm.... i gotta go back too....

dunno whats a good time.....

checked skycam came out to Sg only 1:30+ when the traffic started clearing up. when I passed the BKE entering into woodlands check point dropped my jaws. inbound traffic queue reached SLE exit!!! sian wonder how to go back afterwards maybe squat some friend's place. =(

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
i think i go back only after mid nite

saw the monstrous snaking jam on camera just now

aangsc
04-06-2011, 09:33 AM

do share how that can be achieve , that was one of the major setback I can't stay HH becos' spouse die die must have SG phone .

Look like you can run the HH maintenance division , with all the experience n network we can safely count on YOU. Any chance running for committee later but then again you are on Golf side ?

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Wuqi is the In House (Resident) Technical Consultant

do share how that can be achieve , that was one of the major setback I can't stay HH becos' spouse die die must have SG phone .

Look like you can run the HH maintenance division , with all the experience n network we can safely count on YOU. Any chance running for committee later but then again you are on Golf side ?

mallow
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Anyone here knows if there will be new launches for twin villas at East Ledang in the near future? I heard about it sometimes back but there are no news for the past months

Attended a Friday get-together last night at the Urban Retreat which was relaxed and a very pleasant way to meet neighbours and weekend neighbours. White wine was apparently tawar, and the red wine non-existent, but beer flowed, and the wine situation is to be immediately remedied. Company was excellent. Nusajaya residents are all invited, 6.30 on, Friday evenings. Also met a property agent with all sorts of interesting info to share on costs and true prices.
HH, register here for fresh information: [email protected]
Glad to kaypoh and enquire for all on Monday.

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
It can actually be done, i was once involved with certain projects in SG, we did it to amplifier underground telecommunication signals. Just get a GSM 900/1800 dual band repeater, even just one band can help. Just something basic but the catch here is the signal at the placement of the outdoor antenna must be at least of usable strength. As we already have a signal in HH so this would work well.

I am actually staying at Gateway and i also have a house at the Golf. Was thinking of the Hills too but prices went up.

Thanks bros HH and AP for the contribution. I have went back to SG a couple more times since the post before last and through Tuas, didn't need to put in cash card. We have MACS and i brought in 3 more family members through 2nd link, none need to scan their prints at all.

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Just now went to Adda Heights, so many SG cars at the Showhouse. Counted 2 BMWs, same number but one black and one white. Add Heights houses are quite ok.

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Just now did something silly on hindsight, there was a young lady, about 14 i think, her boyfriend dumped her by the roadside and she was crying outside a bank. I was waiting outside as just happened they were doing something to the machines inside, so i asked her what happened. Turned out that she was dumped (literally) and her parents were in Tesco. So i volunteered to send her to Tesco since she couldn't reach them.

So i asked her to wait and went in to draw some money and then drove her straight to Tesco. Then went quickly back to finish the makan with my family. Wife was a bit upset as i took so long and when i shared this with them, they chided me for being too helpful as it could have been a trick to rob me, etc.

Still, i just did what i could as she was a young lady and in need of help and she had no RM on her. Just paying forward and in a way back to society.

(I got help lots of times from kind hearted cabbies and lorry driver uncles who drove me when i was lost, got injured, etc) Sometimes, the ordinary man in the street may be much better to you than your own relatives.

I remembered one time i called a senior relative as i had a fall outside my Secondary school(one minute from her HDB) Instead of helping me, she cursed me and asked me to solve my own problem. It was a cabbie (who sent me for free) and my grandpa who came and sent me to the hospital, she didn't even care.

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow that would be great Wuqi if you can get a repeater to boost the Spore signal which means your area will have access to faster Spore signals costs aside.

Wish i could do that at Setia Tropika.

Please let us know how you achieve success here. That would be great.

How much does a repeater cost?

If you could get a signal there, then you definitely can do it. It works for all 3 telcos as long as you can get a signal. The basic cost for one is just about 300 plus and single band and cheaper types from HK, you can get for 100 plus (Pricing in SGD)

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi wuqi, will the Repeater work for my starhub mobile?

It would definitely work, i can get all 3 signals in different parts of HH. On my 2nd floor, i can get M1 and Singtel reliably. Around the back area, i can get M1 and Starhub. At the road infront of my house, Singtel is super strong.

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Horizon hills it should work i guess as long as can pick up signal and boost the signal strength. (They have built in signal amplifiers right?)

I studied electronics for 2 years during my JC as one of my special subjects.

However have since forgotten everything.

Wished the signals could reach Tropika.... But alas no where in sight....

Prof, you are definitely right, with the Telcos dropping pricing for roaming soon, this situation would get better. There are also ways to divert or forward calls. Can you get any signal at all there at all out of all 3 SG telcos? I think those in Nusa Sentral, Nusa Bayou, Eco Setia and East Ledang/Ledang Heights/Leisure Farm would get even stronger signals. A friend with Singtel can get 3-4 bars consistently at his home. I tried to see if i can get a signal at Nusa Duta recently, was quite surprised i could get an SG signal although its a Singtel line.

Singtel signal really steady, best in JB too it seems.

Disclaimer: This is not a paid or compensated advertisement for any telco.

Grago
04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Just now did something silly on hindsight, there was a young lady, about 14 i think, her boyfriend dumped her by the roadside and she was crying outside a bank. I was waiting outside as just happened they were doing something to the machines inside, so i asked her what happened. Turned out that she was dumped (literally) and her parents were in Tesco. So i volunteered to send her to Tesco since she couldn't reach them.

So i asked her to wait and went in to draw some money and then drove her straight to Tesco. Then went quickly back to finish the makan with my family. Wife was a bit upset as i took so long and when i shared this with them, they chided me for being too helpful as it could have been a trick to rob me, etc.

Still, i just did what i could as she was a young lady and in need of help and she had no RM on her. Just paying forward and in a way back to society.

(I got help lots of times from kind hearted cabbies and lorry driver uncles who drove me when i was lost, got injured, etc) Sometimes, the ordinary man in the street may be much better to you than your own relatives.

I remembered one time i called a senior relative as i had a fall outside my Secondary school(one minute from her HDB) Instead of helping me, she cursed me and asked me to solve my own problem. It was a cabbie (who sent me for free) and my grandpa who came and sent me to the hospital, she didn't even care.

Good on you Bro Wuqi, Your family were quite right to worry for you as it could have been not what it seem but a scam!! Fortunately it wasn't. It can be frightening at that age(...14 yrs.) and also being a female at any age to be left alone without means to get help!! In saying that it's a frightenening at any age to be left without any means to get help. My hat off to you Bro.

If you could get a signal there, then you definitely can do it. It works for all 3 telcos as long as you can get a signal. The basic cost for one is just about 300 plus and single band and cheaper types from HK, you can get for 100 plus (Pricing in SGD)

Where would one get a signal repeater from ...... Funan or Sim Lim Tower?

If one can get a SG telco signal in JB and one makes call and Data connections, is the charge one of 'local usage' i.e. as if in SG, depending on the plan subscribed, it would be "FREE" or would it charged as International roaming....... as one is in J.B. while connected, though it's through a SG telco signal. Sorry if it sounds a silly question?? I hope Bro Wuqi or one of the other Bros. can enlighten......

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Previously i used to get the M1 signal at Thistle hotel, at JB City Square and a couple of other places. And i used to make calls. Even in indonesia in Batam, the charges are local call charges (as in singapore local call charges)

Since you are hooking on to your home base operator.... the charges will all be local. If you have a local Data plan (ensure that you have turned off roaming for data). This effectively means that you can only hook on to your home base operator. Therefore charges would be local again.

If one can get a SG telco signal in JB and one makes call and Data connections, is the charge one of 'local usage' i.e. as if in SG, depending on the plan subscribed, it would be "FREE" or would it charged as International roaming....... as one is in J.B. while connected, though it's through a SG telco signal. Sorry if it sounds a silly question?? I hope Bro Wuqi or one of the other Bros. can enlighten......

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Bro Wuqi, your wife was right in getting upset. You could have gotten yourself into a deeper mess if it was a scam... And if the scam turns out to be whats in my mind... The girl is underaged... You could have been wrongly accused of anything.....

It would have been a case of humanitarian work gone wrong....

Thankfully nothing happened to you and you are still around for all of us.

Good on you Bro Wuqi, Your family were quite right to worry for you as it could have been not what it seem but a scam!! Fortunately it wasn't. It can be frightening at that age(...14 yrs.) and also being a female at any age to be left alone without means to get help!! In saying that it's a frightenening at any age to be left without any means to get help. My hat off to you Bro.

[QUOTE=wuqi256;746539]Just now did something silly on hindsight, there was a young lady, about 14 i think, her boyfriend dumped her by the roadside and she was crying outside a bank. I was waiting outside as just happened they were doing something to the machines inside, so i asked her what happened. Turned out that she was dumped (literally) and her parents were in Tesco. So i volunteered to send her to Tesco since she couldn't reach them.

Grago
04-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Previously i used to get the M1 signal at Thistle hotel, at JB City Square and a couple of other places. And i used to make calls. Even in indonesia in Batam, the charges are local call charges (as in singapore local call charges)

Since you are hooking on to your home base operator.... the charges will all be local. If you have a local Data plan (ensure that you have turned off roaming for data). This effectively means that you can only hook on to your home base operator. Therefore charges would be local again.

Thanks Prof. You in J.B. or have you come back into SG?

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
HH, i meant to say that its the strongest in certain areas of my place, it may differ for you and might even be better. I was referring to the new ones. Quite nice but yes its a bit deserted for now. Guess you are right as the robbery did happen at that place.

Thanks bro AP and Grago, yes on reflection did a silly thing but glad it came out alright.

Hi Grago, it will be local in SG, as in its as if you made the call in SG itself. Ordering from overseas as the ones in SG need licensing, etc etc.

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Ok i need to find Yews Cafe now.

Thanks Wuqi for the tip. Ali Cafe i think i have seen it but was not sure good or not so did not go in.

Thanks for Pearls Cafe as well...

Sure, Ali cafe last order is before 12mn as i found out too late previously, the coffee and tea with tongkat ali is pretty nice. Their fried rice is nice too and their nasi lemak even has 3 versions. Sometime back, they served jap style food too.

Grago
04-06-2011, 02:00 PM
HH, i meant to say that its the strongest in certain areas of my place, it may differ for you and might even be better. I was referring to the new ones like Yellow Horizon. Quite nice but yes its a bit deserted for now.

Thanks bro AP and Grago, yes on reflection did a silly thing but glad it came out alright.

Hi Grago, it will be local in SG, as in its as if you made the call in SG itself. Ordering from overseas as the ones in SG need licensing, etc etc.

Thanks Bro. Did a quick search on Amazon.com, quite a few listed. But problem is the voltage.... 110v as compared to our 240V. Got some 110v stuff like routers, lucky have step up/down transformer or had to ditch my 110v elcetrics. But very troublesome unless can convert those 'electrics' to 240v.....

Sure, Ali cafe last order is before 12mn as i found out too late previously, the coffee and tea with tongkat ali is pretty nice. Their fried rice is nice too and their nasi lemak even has 3 versions. Sometime back, they served jap style food too.

Wow, not a bad kopitiam to get late supper and with 'Tongkat ali' ....

euphony
04-06-2011, 02:07 PM
i think i go back only after mid nite

saw the monstrous snaking jam on camera just now

I checked skycam at tuas sometime in the evening and for the 1st time i saw the malaysia side queue stretched all the way to singapore side and can be seen on camera?!! my goodness that's how many km of traffic jam i hope no one here got caught in it. wonder if i should go on from tuas later or just give up and make camp in sg already... anyone traveling back to SG these few hours from tuas? can update?

mallow
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
So i asked her to wait and went in to draw some money and then drove her straight to Tesco. Then went quickly back to finish the makan with my family. Wife was a bit upset as i took so long and when i shared this with them, they chided me for being too helpful as it could have been a trick to rob me, etc. ...
Just what my husband would do too, and you are both lucky nothing bad happened to you ... VERY sorry to say that, and may it be that soon this would be the only and correct thing to do.
It is now about 10.20 pm, and are any of you enduring loud explosion sounds, with some actual rattling of grilles, from live firing practice?

Narmi
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi

The jam at both links is madness fr the cam view at this hour! Maybe will subside at 5am n continue jam again fr 7am.

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 05:21 PM
My update below..... yes thats how bad it was....

I saw the 3km signboard a while after i was in the jam. Which means i have traversed atleast 3.5 km of the jam.

Sometimes in life you dun have a choice do you? I had to come back today.... Nothing urgent...

Just that i really wanted to come back...

Kudos to my wife for making the 3.5 km only an hour an ten minutes.

I checked skycam at tuas sometime in the evening and for the 1st time i saw the malaysia side queue stretched all the way to singapore side and can be seen on camera?!! my goodness that's how many km of traffic jam i hope no one here got caught in it. wonder if i should go on from tuas later or just give up and make camp in sg already... anyone traveling back to SG these few hours from tuas? can update?

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 05:23 PM
:DI read that:D

Wow, not a bad kopitiam to get late supper and with 'Tongkat ali' ....

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 05:26 PM
What exactly you referring to wuqi by divert/forward/

Il check out for signals tomorrow all round my home

There are also ways to divert or forward calls. Can you get any signal at all there at all out of all 3 SG telcos?

Analytical Professor
04-06-2011, 05:30 PM
As Wuqi said as long as you get some signal from Starhub anywhere in your home, you can then install a booster. That will amplify the signal and make it available for a certain radius around the place where you position it.

Serves as a mini base station...

Hi mine is under starhub and for my business, i expect calls to come in anytime from singapore. What would u suggest? Cos u mentioned that starhub can only be received at certain part of the house.. that means i cant use it anyway in my house?

euphony
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
My update below..... yes thats how bad it was....

I saw the 3km signboard a while after i was in the jam. Which means i have traversed atleast 3.5 km of the jam.

Sometimes in life you dun have a choice do you? I had to come back today.... Nothing urgent...

Just that i really wanted to come back...

Kudos to my wife for making the 3.5 km only an hour an ten minutes.

I was a bit luckier. I left about 12am and via 2nd link. Knew it couldn't be smooth so I crawled from clementi on AYE slowly towards 2nd link challenging myself to conserve fuel. Reached SG side totally clear. Reached m'sia side spent about 15minutes. Still much better than causeway i suspect.

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi Grago,

You can get from UK or even HK as well where its 240v. :)

wuqi256
04-06-2011, 05:52 PM
What exactly you referring to wuqi by divert/forward/

Il check out for signals tomorrow all round my home

Hey prof, some bros here were suggesting to use a call forwarding service where you pick up your call at reduced rates rather than pay full roaming?
Great, i am hopeful you will be able to get something.

ginfreely
04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Wow! Avalon, you have so many policies from so my insurance co.

My hubby is not a believer of insurance and so I bought policies early in my life to cover for myself. Since he was young then he did not need so much insurance. He also find it a waste of money. I hope that the cash value from the policies I bought for myself back then can more or less cover him in times of need. I also coaxed him into taking up education policies for the children's too.

Earlier this year, my hubby had an accident with a motorcylist. He wasn't at fault but the insurer just compensated S$70k to the motorist without informing my hubby about it. The motorcyclist was injured very badly and had engaged a lawyer to claim from insurance. I guess the insurance company didn't want any hassle in dealing with such cases. They stopped covering for his van completely. We had been with this company for more then 10 years. Then when we went around hunting for a policies from another insurance provider, 1 of them quoted S$7k plus per year. !!!!???!!! We had to register another new company to transfer this van to the new company inordered to get it insured again.

So you see? Insurance company lend you an umbrella on a sunny day and takes it back when it starts to rain. Money in another's pocket is as good as gone!

Sorry if i too kaypoh but i think your hubby is the sole breadwinner and your children still young, so adequate insurance covering him is pretty essential ...may be can explore cheaper group insurance option, last time heard that SAF group insurance is quite low premium or something like that...or at least can get a accident cover which is very low premium...just my personal thoughts becos my late father fell sick when i was in secondary school, find that got to be always prepared for life's uncertainties, btw i'm not an insurance agent...

ginfreely
04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Agreed AP, by the way, i read you bought at Nusa Duta as well? A learned friend of mine brought his friends to Nusa Duta on Sunday, found out that all of Nusa Duta Clusters has been sold out already.

That's good news. Went to check the site progress that day and saw it is building up quite nicely :D

ginfreely
04-06-2011, 06:21 PM
But then again, every generation blames the one before, every old generation thinks the next is rotten to the core

Yeah lor, people always think own generation is the best and find the younger or older generation irritating :D

ginfreely
04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Others like those from Philippines, i notice they become very/extremely arrogant once they reach mid level. My friends in the industry shared this with me many times, only when they need you then they bring themselves down to beg you for help. Once you help them and they get to keep their jobs, even when walking pass you in the corridor, they don't even acknowledge you.

I find the Filipino nurses very friendly and helpful but that was back in the 80s to early 90s when there were not many of them, now I do not know. But those I see in the sales, F&B and counter staff nowadays do not give me the same impression as the nurses, their service is mediocre and sometimes nonchalant. Hong kong sales staff service attitude are much more enthusiastic and better.

ginfreely
04-06-2011, 06:52 PM
actually is triple quadruple standards. m'sia is any pattern also can so long as its done which in a way is refreshing vs. just follow law that we're so used to in SG... =p

yeah that day i was also not asked to give thumb print...

ginfreely
04-06-2011, 07:12 PM
As Wuqi said as long as you get some signal from Starhub anywhere in your home, you can then install a booster. That will amplify the signal and make it available for a certain radius around the place where you position it.

Serves as a mini base station...

Hi wuqi/AP, i'm not a technical person...by adding the repeater etc, is it the same as creating a mini telecom tower at home? We know that telecom tower pose a radiation risk even few hundred metres away, want to be sure it is not the same thing....else people will be introducing radiation risk to own family and neighbours, any savings will not be worth in the long run.

hangyong
04-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi wuqi/AP, i'm not a technical person...by adding the repeater etc, is it the same as creating a mini telecom tower at home? We know that telecom tower pose a radiation risk even few hundred metres away, want to be sure it is not the same thing....else people will be introducing radiation risk to own family and neighbours, any savings will not be worth in the long run.

for those with internet at home (in Malaysia), I suggest the following:
1. get yourself a Basic account at pfingo.com which gives you a Singapore number (this is about $2/mth)
2. buy a Siemens VoIP DECT phone (a cheap one is less than $200 now) and install in Malaysia
3. register the pfingo account to your DECT phone
4. Forward your mobile number to the pfingo number (charged at your local Singapore calling rate)

When people call your Singapore number, your DECT phone will ring. (this basically works anywhere in the world)
*note, you will have to pay for your data charges in Malaysia, unless it is unlimited.
DECT coverage is pretty good usually, so big house also no issue (unless 3 story kind of building).
No worry about booster amplifying the signal power (which I dun like too)

ArtIsEverywhere
05-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Fire in nusa perdana apartment minimart near gelang patah at 530am. Loud explosion can be heard for 15 minutes...gas tank explode. Soon will be in news. Everyone is save i guess...no ambulance arrive. Living there but moving put soon.

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Wah heavy rains this mornin.

Despite the rains must still go to church

so im done with church now

cant find a place to stop for breakfast unless wanna get wet

so headin home

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 03:15 AM
There is lots of radiation out body is already exposed to on a daily basis especially cause of the number of cellphones in our home.

In addition turning on bluetooth, or accessing wifi also leaves you susceptible to radiation.

Apart from radiation from electronic devices (and you have plenty of them at home) you also have natural radiation which varies depending on which part of the planet you live in.

Finally you are also exposed to the magnetic fields around you.

In simple terms any current carrying conductor (eg wire) has a magnetic field around it.

Just imagine how many magnetic fields you are exposed to.

Its simply not possible to mitigate the risks posed by technology. How to not use DVD players, Fridge, TV, washing machine, iron box etc....???

for home repeaters the radiation should not be greater than 0.1 watt.

in addition steps can be taken to ensure that the surroundings around you can absorb radiation. There are methods.

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 03:31 AM
Nice morning..... Nice weather.....

Could not go anywhere for breakfast.... cause of the heavy rain.

So wifey n mum making breakfast together.

Im listening to gold 90.5 and supervising the academics of my kids....

hangyong
05-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Was stuck inthe jam for 1.5hours at second link... Just reached HH...

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 06:29 AM
How many km = 1.5 hour?

Was stuck inthe jam for 1.5hours at second link... Just reached HH...

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
And the reason:

Chaos at Causeway
New Straits Times
Sun, Jun 05, 2011

JOHOR BARU (Malaysia) - There was chaos at the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) checkpoint at the Sultan Iskandar Building (SIB) yesterday when the biometric fingerprint scanning system had problems coping with the huge number of tourists in light of the weekend and school holidays.

The security system was implemented just four days ago.

The delay had forced many of them to change or scrap their holiday plans.

There was a sea of people at the SIB's arrival hall and immigration clearance was reported to take as long as five minutes for each tourist.

This is five times longer than the Immigration Department's target of one minute per tourist.

A similar situation also occurred at the CIQ checkpoint in the Sultan Abu Bakar Complex (SABC) at the Second Link, with most cars and buses taking about 150 minutes just to reach the complex.

Chiew Kok Leong, 48, who took a bus service from Woodlands, in Singapore, to attend a relative's wedding in Muar, said it took him nearly two hours to have his passport stamped.

"The long delay has upset my schedule for the day. I will be late for the reception."

S. Karasima, 55, who was with a tour group for a one-day visit to Malacca, said the group had to cancel the trip and go on a tour of Johor Baru instead.

"It is unreasonable to make us wait for so long for immigration clearance.

"Do you have any idea how tiring it was to stand for almost two hours just to get through Immigration?"

Checks with local tour guides showed about 60 tour coaches at SIB and 100 at SABC were affected by the delays. The number of tourists involved were 6,400; most of them Singaporeans and Japanese.

The biometric scanning system, introduced on June 1, requires foreigners entering and leaving the country to have their left and right index fingers scanned at entry and exit points.

It is a new security feature aimed at curbing transboundary crimes and terrorism threats.

Previously, tourists only needed to have their passports stamped.

The system has been implemented in 96 entry points in the country.

Malaysia Tour Guides Council president Jimmy Leong said the tourism industry suffered a severe blow as a result of the hiccup, adding that this had left a bad impression on tourists.

He said it was disappointing that the problem occurred during the school holidays, which was the peak season for the tourism industry.

"I will be writing to the Prime Minister's Department and Tourism Ministry to highlight the matter."

Elaborating on the severity of the situation, Leong said it took him three-and-a-half hours to wait for three coaches transporting Singaporean and Japanese tourists to get through Immigration.

"It normally takes about 20 minutes for each coach to pass through clearance at the SIB's CIQ checkpoint. Today, it took about 90 minutes. This excludes the time loss for each coach to reach the complex from the Causeway.

"My Japanese customers are so angry that they blamed me for not informing them about the situation at the checkpoint. They were supposed to reach Malacca by 12.30pm. However, they only managed to have their passports stamped at that time.

"Their one-day Malacca tour was scrapped as a result of the delay."

Checks from other tour guides revealed that many groups from Singapore had cancelled their tours today (Sunday) in view of the anticipated problems at both checkpoints.

Immigration Department director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad urged travellers to be patient with the new security system.

He said travellers took a much longer time than expected to have their passports stamped and fingers scanned as the system was moving towards stabilisation.

"For some people, it takes only a minute. For others, it takes about two to three minutes. We welcome feedback and will improve the system as soon as possible."

Alias urged Singaporean motorists to apply for the Malaysia Automated Clearance System at any Immigration office for faster immigration clearance as the system would do away with the need to have their fingers scanned again after their first visit

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Malaysia starts fingerprinting visitors
New Straits Times
Thu, May 05, 2011

JOHOR BARU, MALAYSIA - Foreigners entering and leaving the country will have both index fingers scanned at Immigration checkpoints beginning next month.

The procedure is a new security feature to curb transboundary crime and terrorism.

Called the biometric fingerprint security system, it is aimed at enhancing security in the immigration clearance process, which currently involves only the stamping of passports and matching photographs in the passports to faces.

As forgery of travel documents is common these days, the new security system will allay this worry.

A trial period for the project is ongoing at 61 of the 96 entry points in the country.

Immigration Department directorgeneral Datuk Alias Ahmad said such a security measure was deemed necessary in view of the increasing number of foreigners who had abused their privileges as visitors.

He said three per cent of the 24.4 million foreigners who visited the country last year had been involved in various crimes.

"Usually, foreign criminals will use a different passport when they re-enter the country. If we have their fingerprint records, we will be able to check if they had previously used a different passport.

"If the answer is positive, it will be justified for us to suspect the motive of their visits and bar them from entering.

"The records will also assist police in checking if the foreigners had committed any criminal activities in the country, or if they are overstaying.

This will enable us to arrest them on the spot with the help of the police," he told the New Straits Times.

Scanners will be installed at Immigration booths in all air, land and sea entry points in the country by the end of this month to facilitate the full implementation of the system from June 1.

The new security feature is expected to delay immigration clearance at entry points but Alias said the total time would not exceed a minute once the system was in full swing.

"During the current trial period, there are bound to be hiccups. However, all the problems encountered will be identified and rectified." Alias said fingerprint scanning was a globally-recognised security feature as good as the facial biometric scanning introduced in countries like Thailand and Indonesia.

Several countries have implemented similar procedures.

In Japan, the prints of both index fingers are taken along with a photograph, while the United States in 2009 upgraded from a two-finger to a 10-finger system at ports of entry.

Brazil is another country that employs such a system, while the United Kingdom requires digital fingerprint scans for visa applications.

South Korea and the European Union will begin fingerprinting foreigners next year and in 2015, respectively

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 07:23 AM
did some reading up about pfingo....

Not bad.... i must say....

only concern the reliability of my data line....

for those with internet at home (in Malaysia), I suggest the following:
1. get yourself a Basic account at pfingo.com which gives you a Singapore number (this is about $2/mth)
2. buy a Siemens VoIP DECT phone (a cheap one is less than $200 now) and install in Malaysia
3. register the pfingo account to your DECT phone
4. Forward your mobile number to the pfingo number (charged at your local Singapore calling rate)

When people call your Singapore number, your DECT phone will ring. (this basically works anywhere in the world)
*note, you will have to pay for your data charges in Malaysia, unless it is unlimited.
DECT coverage is pretty good usually, so big house also no issue (unless 3 story kind of building).
No worry about booster amplifying the signal power (which I dun like too)

29ers
05-06-2011, 09:44 AM
The situation at the 2nd link over the last few days including friday was bad!!! I left for SG back to JB via 2nd link at 2pm+ there was a jam (400m), took me 30mins or so to clear custom.

I also notice the signboard overhead saying something about "twitter" so this is what i googled
http://twitter.com/#!/tengkuazman/traffic
It's in malay though, not sure if it's an up to date traffic annoucement.

No Rush for me so i took it easy and joined the Q, without the thought of doing Q cutting.

French Open finals .... anyone? Was in SG asking PUBS whether they screen the French open.......unfortunately most of the PUBS are with Singtel, cos of the BPL, thus they don't have StarHub Cable which own the rights to Rolland Garros and US Open. Here in JB i think u can just go to any good Kopitiam and they should have it screening....cos here only got ASTRO.

Cheers

hangyong
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
How many km = 1.5 hour?

About 500m. Past the 500m road sign and jam.

hangyong
05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
did some reading up about pfingo....

Not bad.... i must say....

only concern the reliability of my data line....

For those who wants a Singapore number while overseas, this is the best I can recommend.

However, if you are looking for a more comprehensive VoIP provider, try pennytel.com.
They can provide you with a number in Australia, and Malaysia.

Calling Malaysia, China, USA, etc is as low as A$0.08/call (depending on your plan).
I was one of their pioneer users and having the above service with no monthly fee.
As I make alot of calls to China... it saves me a whole load.

maxpark
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
And the reason:

Chaos at Causeway
New Straits Times
Sun, Jun 05, 2011

JOHOR BARU (Malaysia) - There was chaos at the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) checkpoint at the Sultan Iskandar Building (SIB) yesterday when the biometric fingerprint scanning system had problems coping with the huge number of tourists in light of the weekend and school holidays.

The security system was implemented just four days ago.

The delay had forced many of them to change or scrap their holiday plans.

There was a sea of people at the SIB's arrival hall and immigration clearance was reported to take as long as five minutes for each tourist.

This is five times longer than the Immigration Department's target of one minute per tourist.

A similar situation also occurred at the CIQ checkpoint in the Sultan Abu Bakar Complex (SABC) at the Second Link, with most cars and buses taking about 150 minutes just to reach the complex.

Chiew Kok Leong, 48, who took a bus service from Woodlands, in Singapore, to attend a relative's wedding in Muar, said it took him nearly two hours to have his passport stamped.

"The long delay has upset my schedule for the day. I will be late for the reception."

S. Karasima, 55, who was with a tour group for a one-day visit to Malacca, said the group had to cancel the trip and go on a tour of Johor Baru instead.

"It is unreasonable to make us wait for so long for immigration clearance.

"Do you have any idea how tiring it was to stand for almost two hours just to get through Immigration?"

Checks with local tour guides showed about 60 tour coaches at SIB and 100 at SABC were affected by the delays. The number of tourists involved were 6,400; most of them Singaporeans and Japanese.

The biometric scanning system, introduced on June 1, requires foreigners entering and leaving the country to have their left and right index fingers scanned at entry and exit points.

It is a new security feature aimed at curbing transboundary crimes and terrorism threats.

Previously, tourists only needed to have their passports stamped.

The system has been implemented in 96 entry points in the country.

Malaysia Tour Guides Council president Jimmy Leong said the tourism industry suffered a severe blow as a result of the hiccup, adding that this had left a bad impression on tourists.

He said it was disappointing that the problem occurred during the school holidays, which was the peak season for the tourism industry.

"I will be writing to the Prime Minister's Department and Tourism Ministry to highlight the matter."

Elaborating on the severity of the situation, Leong said it took him three-and-a-half hours to wait for three coaches transporting Singaporean and Japanese tourists to get through Immigration.

"It normally takes about 20 minutes for each coach to pass through clearance at the SIB's CIQ checkpoint. Today, it took about 90 minutes. This excludes the time loss for each coach to reach the complex from the Causeway.

"My Japanese customers are so angry that they blamed me for not informing them about the situation at the checkpoint. They were supposed to reach Malacca by 12.30pm. However, they only managed to have their passports stamped at that time.

"Their one-day Malacca tour was scrapped as a result of the delay."

Checks from other tour guides revealed that many groups from Singapore had cancelled their tours today (Sunday) in view of the anticipated problems at both checkpoints.

Immigration Department director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad urged travellers to be patient with the new security system.

He said travellers took a much longer time than expected to have their passports stamped and fingers scanned as the system was moving towards stabilisation.

"For some people, it takes only a minute. For others, it takes about two to three minutes. We welcome feedback and will improve the system as soon as possible."

Alias urged Singaporean motorists to apply for the Malaysia Automated Clearance System at any Immigration office for faster immigration clearance as the system would do away with the need to have their fingers scanned again after their first visit

Sometimes you really cannot help but call these fellas moron!

Do they actually do any planning at all?

Why the need to start a brand new 'biometric' system on 01Jun, right smack in the peak school holiday season?

Why cant they start, say 01July and take their own sweet time to "stabilise" the system in time for the December peak season (stabilisation the was word used by the Immigration Department director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad aka m***n)

Really Very Boleh!

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 12:37 PM
The pfingo quite good.

Hope u did not misunderstand me

For those who wants a Singapore number while overseas, this is the best I can recommend.

However, if you are looking for a more comprehensive VoIP provider, try pennytel.com.
They can provide you with a number in Australia, and Malaysia.

Calling Malaysia, China, USA, etc is as low as A$0.08/call (depending on your plan).
I was one of their pioneer users and having the above service with no monthly fee.
As I make alot of calls to China... it saves me a whole load.

hangyong
05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
The pfingo quite good.

Hope u did not misunderstand me

bro, I understand.

Just that pfingo is useful mainly to users who wants a Singapore number, for those who wants to call overseas, pfingo is not cheap (unless pfingo to pfingo), thats why I was recommending pennytel for this group of people.

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Wa 500m = 1.5 hour?

Mine was 3.5km. Just imagine

About 500m. Past the 500m road sign and jam.

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Actually pfingo may be quite good for my wife for work purposes.

So if she calls back using pfingo will it still reflect the spore number?

That would be really helpful.

In my case it is only for spore malaysia

the only issue is calldrop because of signal loss.

How has ur experience been with this in malaysia?

bro, I understand.

Just that pfingo is useful mainly to users who wants a Singapore number, for those who wants to call overseas, pfingo is not cheap (unless pfingo to pfingo), thats why I was recommending pennytel for this group of people.

Analytical Professor
05-06-2011, 12:58 PM

bro, I understand.

hangyong
05-06-2011, 01:11 PM

yes, bro, it will reflect a 3xxxxxxx number.
3 being the preset number for VoIP in Singapore.

I have only used VoIP when in Singapore, so I really wun know how well it fairs.

congo9
05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Dr vivian of Singapore says the weather pattern changes causes Singapore to flood. I am just not satisfied with the answer. If the weather pattern changes so much , does JB flood so often ? I don recall ...JB flooding !

Does the houses in Setia Tropika , HH or East Ledang fllod easily ?

RafflesTiger
06-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Today is Monday, 9am and I was looking thru the onemotoring website. Surprisingly the traffic was VERY and extremely clear entering and leaving Singapore.. Even at the causeway, its free flowing and the causeway is currently empty to and fro. I wonder why is this so, considering that this is Monday when most workers will be returning to work.

Lets see if they will annouce any goodie news regarding Iskandar since they dint annouce it on Friday.

Hi, to all forumers,

How long does it take to cross the causeway by car on a normal weekday around 7-8am? Does it take 1-2hrs just to cross the causeway? What is the usual waiting time? If you work in City area, and stay in tebrau City, what time do you have to wake up? And what time will you get back? Thanks.

hangyong
06-06-2011, 02:21 AM
For those who are thinking of going JB just to shop these few weeks, my advice is not to.. unless u are able to accept the 3 hours jams. My in-laws neighbour told me everyday he rides bike to and fro Spore.. he saw the worst jam ever for cars .. so many cars engine stalled in the 2nd link expressway as it was boiling hot weather and they on the engine for like 4 hours. For me, I just reach SG, came out from HH at about 5am so no jam!!

bro, left HH at 5am and reached SG at 650am?? :-P

hangyong
06-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Today is Monday, 9am and I was looking thru the onemotoring website. Surprisingly the traffic was VERY and extremely clear entering and leaving Singapore.. Even at the causeway, its free flowing and the causeway is currently empty to and fro. I wonder why is this so, considering that this is Monday when most workers will be returning to work.

Lets see if they will annouce any goodie news regarding Iskandar since they dint annouce it on Friday.

somehow, something is wrong.... the massive jams... the totally clear links... did we miss out something?

aangsc
06-06-2011, 02:23 AM
bro, I understand.

Have you explore Starhub digital line with Integrated Access Device, IAD ?

http://www.starhub.com/voice/plan/digitalvoiceglobal.html

aangsc
06-06-2011, 02:26 AM
somehow, something is wrong.... the massive jams... the totally clear links... did we miss out something?

Not surprise that they are doing U-turn with so many negative news on biometric system on recent papers, how to sell Nusajaya with such bad news. Which is higher priority , selling Nusajaya or bring down criminals using more than one passport ? We shall soon see . They need to go back to drawing board , it is a poorly implemented system. I give my wkends home a miss , and I am glad I did but for those already moved there , I would truly like to hear how you are coping.

hangyong
06-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Have you explore Starhub digital line with Integrated Access Device, IAD ?

http://www.starhub.com/voice/plan/digitalvoiceglobal.html

not really, but as far as I know, pfingo is also from Starhub.

I usually look at the price first, and if its too expensive, I will give it a miss.

Pfingo was free when launched, so I was looking into it about 4-5 years back...

If you need more information on VoIP, please do let me know and I will answer as much as I know.

I am now using pennytel service to make calls to USA/China/Australia/Malaysia as they only charge me A$0.08/call (regardless of how long I call)

Analytical Professor
06-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Setia Tropika no flooding. I have been there for the past couple of days.

No water logging either....

Dr vivian of Singapore says the weather pattern changes causes Singapore to flood. I am just not satisfied with the answer. If the weather pattern changes so much , does JB flood so often ? I don recall ...JB flooding !

Analytical Professor
06-06-2011, 03:05 AM
I saw many cars that had broken down on link dua expressway on Saturday night.

yes those who do not have a definite reason to visit JB, those who just wanna visit JB to look see, eat food, shop, cheong etc must avoid JB during this critical period.

It is best to avoid JB till the situation improves.

If not you will be ruining your own holiday.

For people like us no choice we are living there.... So we gotta endure the jams no matter what.

For those who are thinking of going JB just to shop these few weeks, my advice is not to.. unless u are able to accept the 3 hours jams. My in-laws neighbour told me everyday he rides bike to and fro Spore.. he saw the worst jam ever for cars .. so many cars engine stalled in the 2nd link expressway as it was boiling hot weather and they on the engine for like 4 hours. For me, I just reach SG, came out from HH at about 5am so no jam!!

Analytical Professor
06-06-2011, 03:08 AM
I checked out the Traffic situation via camera as well. Both links were free flowing.

My wife was heading to Tanjong Pagar so we chose 2nd link.

As we neared 2nd link traffic flow was smooth.

There was no jam

However once we crossed Malaysia immigration we noticed a long line of busses queuing up to enter Malaysia....

Looks like they have not given up on the finger printing thingie yet.

So for those of us who wanna re-enter Malaysia this evening..... God knows.... whats in store for us....

Analytical Professor
06-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Yday exchange rate at Bukit Indah central 243.4

Analytical Professor
06-06-2011, 03:15 AM
At TESCO pay using S$ exchange rate 244

toyohon
06-06-2011, 03:26 AM

Sat was Agong's official birthday, so today (Mon) a lot of offices closed, coincide with dumpling festival as well.

2bFree
06-06-2011, 03:30 AM
No flooding at HH Gateway but circuit breaker frequently trips during heavy downpours (with lightning).

hangyong
06-06-2011, 03:33 AM
No flooding at HH Gateway but circuit breaker frequently trips during heavy downpours (with lightning).

that one even my flat in Singapore also like that

Analytical Professor
06-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Talking about dumpling festival my wife wants to know where to get very good ba zhang? Crystal Jade or anything better?

Sat was Agong's official birthday, so today (Mon) a lot of offices closed, coincide with dumpling festival as well.

cathylmg
06-06-2011, 04:24 AM
There wasn't any jams from Malaysia towards Singapore this morning. Proberly because I always reach the custom before 6am? These few days the way from Singapore towards Malaysia custom was in complete chaos. It took us more then 3hrs just to get to our home in Setia Tropika. We were totally exausted.

I just post a negative comment in PM-Najib's facebook. How bros and sis here go do the same too.

cathylmg
06-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Talking about dumpling festival my wife wants to know where to get very good ba zhang? Crystal Jade or anything better?

Bro AP, have tried Katong Dumplings? Its at one of those shop houses. I remembered it used to be very nice. Don't know how is it now. I normally buy their vegetarians one nowadays.

cathylmg
06-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Setia Tropika no flooding. I have been there for the past couple of days.

No water logging either....

For JB, I don't think there will be flood for any of the newer estates. Reason being most newer estates are on high grounds, and also the later drainage system are more efficient to help drain the rain water. Its only the older estate on lower grounds that has this problem.

cathylmg
06-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Sometimes you really cannot help but call these fellas moron!

Do they actually do any planning at all?

Why the need to start a brand new 'biometric' system on 01Jun, right smack in the peak school holiday season?

Why cant they start, say 01July and take their own sweet time to "stabilise" the system in time for the December peak season (stabilisation the was word used by the Immigration Department director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad aka m***n)

Really Very Boleh!

Can't help but to agree with you totally. This chaos is really done due to poor planning on their part!