• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB Flat Upgrading Program - when is Hougang turn ???

1tigerboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sources: http://www.wp.sg/wordpress/?p=58

HDB Flat Upgrading Program
By Mr Low Thia Khiang, MP for Hougang

The HDB flat Main Upgrading Program (MUP) started full swing after the 1991 General Election. Its objectives are to renew older HDB estates and to share the wealth of the nation with Singaporeans under the Asset Enhancement Scheme. The program became a political tool for the PAP in the 1997 General Election under a blatant abuse of power by the PAP government to alter voting behaviour.

Politics aside, the upgrading program is funded by the national budget of which the money belongs to all Singaporeans. Denying Singaporeans living in opposition wards this publicly funded program is highly discriminatory in nature. Does the government need to be reminded that residents of opposition wards perform National Service duty and pay the same rate of income tax & GST as any other Singaporeans?

When I took up the issue in parliament, the Minister’s answer was that the criteria for HDB upgrading is based on the age of the flat, geographical spread, and support for the program. When I asked about Hougang’s turn for upgrading, the minister’s reply was that “Hougang is not due for upgrading for many, many years”.

12 years have passed since the minister made that statement in 1996. Now I am asking again, is the wait long enough now for the MUP to come to Hougang? Or is Hougang Constituency denied MUP?
Is the so called criteria for the HDB upgrading program a convenient excuse for the PAP government to abuse its position in power to discriminate against Singaporeans along the line of political affiliation?

I understand that in 1991, the projected average upgrading cost per flat was $30,000 to $38,000. I would like to know how much the government had spent in average for each HDB flat type under MUP by individual precinct completed so far.

Taking an average cost of $30,000 for a basic upgrading package and factoring in the co-payment formula, this government owes every eligible flat owner in Hougang Constituency $22,500 to $27,000 for the long overdue upgrading.

In 1995, the Minister for National Development said that “the upgrading program is a long-term program … It will take 15 to 20 years to upgrade all the old estates.” Since the MUP was started in 1990, I take it that by 2010, all MUPs would have been completed. However, I am surprised to learn from MND budget that the MUP & IUP will be replaced by the Home Improvement program (HIP) and the Neighbourhood Renewal Program (NRP).

The MUP aims for precinct-level upgrade and enhancement whereas HIP deals more with building defects rectification work. The NRP, on the other hand, is more like the IUP or improvement works undertaken by the Town Councils. So where is the MUP equivalent in scale & level of estate upgrading as promised to Singaporeans under the asset enhancement scheme?
Since the HIP’s criteria are similar to MUP in which the level of political support is a factor, would that put the opposition wards last in the queue again? In other words, will opposition wards need to start all over again and wait many, many years for HIP to happen?

Last year, I visited a resident who was injured by fallen concrete slabs due to spalling in the kitchen of his flat. As the flats continue to age, spalling concrete can become an issue of safety. Unless the Minister thinks that the safety of residents living in HDB flats in Hougang is of a lesser concern than those in the PAP wards, it is only right for the Minister to shorten the waiting time required for HIP to be implemented in the opposition ward.

To expedite the HIP, the Minister may want to consider delegating HIP to town councils to speed up the implementation of the program. Alternatively, he can also consider allocating the funds to the HDB branch offices to better target essential repairs to deserving flats under their charge.

gostep

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know it's not going to happen as long as WP is holding Hougang. Can you believe the Pappies? I for one am not holding my breath waiting for it.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one thing is certain, i will not beg for Upgrading. If have fine, dont have no big lost. Had been staying there since young, i love my estate, cost of living certainly cheaper than neighbouring Aljunied GRC.

Now those MIW are driving out the old residents by going to tear down the old wet market along ave7 without replacing it with a new market. Last GE, MIW promise to build new market if elected, now as revenge, they going get rid of the only wet market in the estate that had provided goods and services to residents of hougang for the past 30 years.:mad:

thomas88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel, the government is not doing the right things when it come to upgrading. Firstly, these money are not PAP's money. It's the money of the country which means Singapore citizens. So what right do they have that upgrading are only for PAP's ward? They cannot say these money are made through years of well management for they're paid far too well (highest paid in the world-if I'm not wrong) to do this job.

Upgrading should be done based on the age of blocks regardless of what party it is in.

Remember.....these are all our money (taxes, fees, charges...etc). :mad:

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
not everyone will welcome the upgrading.
those PRs especially will not like it,coz they have to pay the full cost without any subsides.
nowaday,the MUP or EnBlock are different,previously when it was first start,HDB will offer you a house of your choice. Now the value will be according to market's rate and evaluation. If you choose a bigger flat,you will have to pay the different in value.

i have been living at my flat for 30 years,only IUP - that is upgrading of the lifts,surronding on the ground floor. Also not selected for MUP or EnBlock.

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
Upgrading should be done based on the age of blocks regardless of what party it is in.

Remember.....these are all our money (taxes, fees, charges...etc). :mad:

Well said. That is why I lost faith in them using public funds for their own polticial ends. :mad: