• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Get Rid of the Fear of Emigration / Tackle those myths

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will draw a parallel about buying a private property and emigration. Many years ago, I noticed that many of my staff were living in HDB flats while their income allowed for private property. After chatting with them, 2 issues propped up

1) Sacred or don't know how to handle lawyers and conveyancing for private property
2) They had not done their sums and many thought that private property maintenance fees were more than HDB. Many did not realise that there are no parking fees in private property.

I found them a lawyer, provided some direction and all those who could afford moved on to private properties. I still get calls about this.

Its the same with emigration. Why in the world would you not want to move to a 1st world country and let your children and theirs enjoy the better opportunities.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here are couple of tips

Apply now & decide later:
No need to make the big decision now. Just pop down to the High Commission/Embassy and get the forms for a couple of bucks. Consult a migration agent or call that friend that migrated to get some guidance. Its takes a few months to 2 years to get an outcome. If approved, you can get up to 5 years in many cases to decide. The biggest mistake is to decide and then apply by which time, rules might no longer be favourable.

Work with your spouse and not your relatives
Its important to work with your spouse early and get buy-in. Then your kids. Never consult any relative, friend or anyone that is not going to be part of that journey. Other have agendas and motives that are very different. If an outsider, work with some that has gone there including those that have returned.

Watch those Myths
The world is never a perfect place. There will be challenges everywhere. Just tell yourself that you going to a 1st world country and not some slump in an emerging nation. People who perpetuate myths do so for various reasons - ignorance, sourgrapes and mischievious. Check it out yourself. Validate those claims.

Be Prepared to Alter your lifestyle - Adapt
- There will be cultural issues. Do expect the neighbourhood to be quiet after 6pm. Don't hope to find food outlets serving your favourites.
- Must be prepared to make new friends

Stop Dreaming
Pick a date within a week, where you are determined get the forms and start the process.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which first-world country is the easiest to get a landed immigrant status?
I think it's Canada.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada, OZ and NZ have a long standing migration policy and culture as they need people to fill their vast expanse of land. There are variations and the rules keep changing all the time.

US, UK is a little complicated and the best way is to obtain employment or posting before working your way towards PR. Then there is green card lottery for US. No harm trying. Us is pretty complicated for certain categories of working visas which required up to 7 years of employment before PR is granted. Know of cases where they had to return prematurely after investing many years there.

Hope those familiar with US will comment.

Which first-world country is the easiest to get a landed immigrant status?
I think it's Canada.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada, OZ and NZ have a long standing migration policy and culture as they need people to fill their vast expanse of land. There are variations and the rules keep changing all the time.

US, UK is a little complicated and the best way is to obtain employment or posting before working your way towards PR. Then there is green card lottery for US. No harm trying. Us is pretty complicated for certain categories of working visas which required up to 7 years of employment before PR is granted. Know of cases where they had to return prematurely after investing many years there.

Hope those familiar with US will comment.

Among Canada, OZ and NZ, Canada is the easiet.

jw5

Loyal
I will draw a parallel about buying a private property and emigration. Many years ago, I noticed that many of my staff were living in HDB flats while their income allowed for private property. After chatting with them, 2 issues propped up

1) Sacred or don't know how to handle lawyers and conveyancing for private property
2) They had not done their sums and many thought that private property maintenance fees were more than HDB. Many did not realise that there are no parking fees in private property.

I found them a lawyer, provided some direction and all those who could afford moved on to private properties. I still get calls about this.

Its the same with emigration. Why in the world would you not want to move to a 1st world country and let your children and theirs enjoy the better opportunities.
Are you still in Singapore?
Why?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here are couple of tips

No need to make the big decision now. Just pop down to the High Commission/Embassy and get the forms for a couple of bucks. Consult a migration agent or call that friend that migrated to get some guidance. Its takes a few months to 2 years to get an outcome. If approved, you can get up to 5 years in many cases to decide. The biggest mistake is to decide and then apply by which time, rules might no longer be favourable.

Its important to work with your spouse early and get buy-in. Then your kids. Never consult any relative, friend or anyone that is not going to be part of that journey. Other have agendas and motives that are very different. If an outsider, work with some that has gone there including those that have returned.

Watch those Myths
The world is never a perfect place. There will be challenges everywhere. Just tell yourself that you going to a 1st world country and not some slump in an emerging nation. People who perpetuate myths do so for various reasons - ignorance, sourgrapes and mischievious. Check it out yourself. Validate those claims.

- There will be cultural issues. Do expect the neighbourhood to be quiet after 6pm. Don't hope to find food outlets serving your favourites.
- Must be prepared to make new friends

Stop Dreaming
Pick a date within a week, where you are determined get the forms and start the process.

Good advice. But is not all that bad, many suburbs in Sydney (especially those dominate by Asians) still have can get food till 11pm. Borders close 10pm at bondi, so really depends where u stay.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here are couple of tips

Watch those Myths

Stop Dreaming

Yo Bro, I appreciate your efforts to get them out of their comfort zone to seek for a greener environment.. those who are qualified I bet are already out of the enclosed area, left the remaining risk adverse & law abiding citizens. I think your best efforts can put onto good use such as.. try mixing with Hongkies, M'sian, other nationality and locals.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, note my comment about making new friends in the tips. In my chats with those I know, those with a large circle of friends in their new country always seem busy, excited with a positive outlook.

One good way is to be part of your kid's school network - sports and events. Another is the church, then there are various social groups ranging from those affliated with Singapore and other asian communities.

Its is also important to include the locals such as the whites and other communities. I know this is a challenge but it provides a better outlook.

One suggestion is to focus on your area of interest. If you are in business, gather others with similar interest for regular coffee/ tea at the same location on weekends. General gathering tends to go all over the place.

I know of a group of like minded business people that gather monthly for wine tasting. Basically networking. You find accountants, SME lawyers and SME owners. The wine helps to bring down the mercenary nature of the gathering.

Yo Bro, I appreciate your efforts to get them out of their comfort zone to seek for a greener environment.. those who are qualified I bet are already out of the enclosed area, left the remaining risk adverse & law abiding citizens. I think your best efforts can put onto good use such as.. try mixing with Hongkies, M'sian, other nationality and locals.

Lion_Barbell

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now any more. There is only 38 occupations that enjoy a faster processing time. The rest are looking at coming in via other ways like A.E.O and etc

Hi bro Asychee, I've tried to contact Mr Goh S H of Ac****vo following your PM but until now i've not gotten any response from him.

Maybe I should change my landing point to Alberta ? :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 weeks ago, son's soccer birthday party with locals..
Last week, to Lake Mountain for toboggan..
On Sat, we are having a dinner with a Thai/Indo family..
Picnic on Sunday..
Next month collect keys.. auction, materials and tradesmen...
flat out sia..

Hey, have you moved ? I'm coming down for final hearing in Sept. Hope to have a kopi with you :smile:

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good question:biggrin:

On a serious note...i think one should not just generalise and think the grass shall aways be greener elsewhere...this is a grey and very personal issue...there is good and bad anywhere...all depends on your personal set of wants desires needs and circumstances
Are you still in Singapore?
Why?