• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is Singapore Opposition Talented ???

1tigerboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone,

Do you think our Opposition are Talented ? Some alway like to any how say and got sue.

What are your view ???

Please share... Thanks

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is that the current crop of opposition leaders are not competent to run this country.

Before you start to flame me, do consider that point first, if it is fair comment.

Why do i feel that way?

Because if i were to vote in an opposition member, i have to consider that the person will not cause singapore to deterioriate. Governing a country is not easy. At least it is not as easy as slamming the PAP for their policies. They too have their difficulties.

I would have been more confident if the opposition did a thorough analysis, give their conclusions and proposals. So far the only one who seemed capable, in my view, is Sylvia Lim. The rest of the opposition seems filled with hatred for MM LKY. To be frank that puts me off because i am an admirer of his. It is not good to go into politics with hatred. If you go into politics with a desire to help Singaporeans, I would say 'great!' because at least we have someone who cares.

Having said that, there is another corresponding question: Are the voters discerning? But that is another topic.

Just my thoughts.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
last 2 elections,there are indeed some opposition that are quite good.
but they are being put in those GRC,should have stand in the Single Ward and maybe we will see more opposition in the parliament by now.

the quality of the opposition is improving all the time. good for Singapore and us as a voter,more choice.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is that there is definitely not enough talent at the moment in the Opposition Camp that warrant us to sit up and listen to what alternative(s) they have to offer.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Few talented people want to get involved in politics, especially opposition politics. Even the current generation of ruling party politicians are not as talented as claimed to be.

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hard to say. But so far to this very day none of the opposition has produced any vision for Singapore which I think is very important to inspire people.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hard to say. But so far to this very day none of the opposition has produced any vision for Singapore which I think is very important to inspire people.

How is the opposition going to inspire enough people when they sued to death every time they try to promote their ideas?:p

i1u12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also don't understand why the opposition so quiet in parliament?

Is it true that the ST did not publicise it?

Wins88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes - LTK, Sylvia, Chiam - Talented, smart n savvy
NO - Chee Soon Juan, JBJ etc... empty vessels make the most noise!

LTK, Chiam - quiet types but when they speak - people listen.
CSJ - talks a lot - but no one listens!

However, Opposition needs more people like Sylvia and Chiam.

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
How is the opposition going to inspire enough people when they sued to death every time they try to promote their ideas?:p

What ideas?!?:confused: You mean more freedom of speech? Checks and balances in the govt? Real democracy? :p So far their ideas are piecemeal at best.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The opposition needs to get their act together, otherwise they are just wasting their time, and the people's time.

They need to start with only 2 things:

(1) A coherent platform

What is it that they want to give Singapore? What is their value-added?​
Some say:

(a) Freedom of speech? That is only to allow them to speak out. But it is not that they are allowed to speak out. It is rather that they speak out properly, clearly and relevantly. So that is more a personal characteristic for themselves.

(b) Checks and balances? That is a good point.

(c) The quality of voting - (what you vote is what you get)? That is also a good point.

(d) Real democracy? That is like shooting your own foot. What is democracy? What is Real? It will end up in stupid debates.​

(2) A sense of unity

If they are not able to be united, then what is their use and relevance?​

(3) Why are they in opposition?

They should bring out that point clearly.

I read a newspaper article on JBJ and the only conclusion i got is that he has a personal vendetta. When you have that, people listened, shiok shiok. Laugh laugh. That's all.​

From this voter's perspective, there are only two reasons for having an opposition:

First, a second opinion on government policies

Second, an alternative government. But the current opposition crop should not talk of being an alternative government. They lack the creditability to do so at this time. They also lacked the opportunity to learn. An alternative government lends stability to the whole political, economic and social process. It functions as a checks and balances. It prevents excesses.

Perhaps the most important thing for them is their mindset. They should not view themselves as opposition, but as an alternative PAP in the making - responsible, functional and capable.

I feel that the examples set by Chiam and LTK are admirable. They have families to provide, they have to eat. At the same time, they can do some good. And within the context of singapore politics, they contribute as well as they can. Most importantly from my perspective, they do not destabilize Singapore and cause an economic backlash from investors.

Again my two cents.

1tigerboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
The opposition needs to get their act together, otherwise they are just wasting their time, and the people's time.

They need to start with only 2 things:

(1) A coherent platform

What is it that they want to give Singapore? What is their value-added?​
Some say:

(a) Freedom of speech? That is only to allow them to speak out. But it is not that they are allowed to speak out. It is rather that they speak out properly, clearly and relevantly. So that is more a personal characteristic for themselves.

(b) Checks and balances? That is a good point.

(c) The quality of voting - (what you vote is what you get)? That is also a good point.

(d) Real democracy? That is like shooting your own foot. What is democracy? What is Real? It will end up in stupid debates.​

(2) A sense of unity

If they are not able to be united, then what is their use and relevance?​

(3) Why are they in opposition?

They should bring out that point clearly.

I read a newspaper article on JBJ and the only conclusion i got is that he has a personal vendetta. When you have that, people listened, shiok shiok. Laugh laugh. That's all.​

From this voter's perspective, there are only two reasons for having an opposition:

First, a second opinion on government policies

Second, an alternative government. But the current opposition crop should not talk of being an alternative government. They lack the creditability to do so at this time. They also lacked the opportunity to learn. An alternative government lends stability to the whole political, economic and social process. It functions as a checks and balances. It prevents excesses.

Perhaps the most important thing for them is their mindset. They should not view themselves as opposition, but as an alternative PAP in the making - responsible, functional and capable.

I feel that the examples set by Chiam and LTK are admirable. They have families to provide, they have to eat. At the same time, they can do some good. And within the context of singapore politics, they contribute as well as they can. Most importantly from my perspective, they do not destabilize Singapore and cause an economic backlash from investors.

Again my two cents.

I agree with you :smile:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chiam See Tong and Low Thia Khiang didn't get sued, did they?

A pity that there are not more of talented opposition.

Look at other countries with freedom of speeches. Just take a look at nearest Malaysia and Thailand, Indonesia. Demonstrations, rallies, affecting economy, businesses, everyone's pockets. In the end, WHO SUFFER? It's the people. Irresponsible people who make irresponsible speeches deserves to get sued. And hopefully should get sued to death.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read a newspaper article on JBJ and the only conclusion i got is that he has a personal vendetta. When you have that, people listened, shiok shiok. Laugh laugh. That's all.[/INDENT]

I totally agree. Opposition with personal vendetta are only keen to kill the government because of their hatred. To serve the people? I think they are simply not keen to do that. They are just making use of us. Stirring emotions to fulfil their vendetta.

I was reading at Anwar's whereby he said he would restore back fuel subsidy to Malaysian pump prices if he becomes government. I laughed. It's very good, but if the people vote him because of this, its very sad. They don't see the big picture. Fuel is a worldwide problem. Just because of this incentive, they vote him, in the end the subsidies will cripple the country's coffers. In the end, who will suffer, its the people again.

There is no way a party can please everyone, but to look at it at the whole picture would be better than just narrowing one's perspective to that small aspect

Soundwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was reading at Anwar's whereby he said he would restore back fuel subsidy to Malaysian pump prices if he becomes government. I laughed. It's very good, but if the people vote him because of this, its very sad. They don't see the big picture. Fuel is a worldwide problem. Just because of this incentive, they vote him, in the end the subsidies will cripple the country's coffers. In the end, who will suffer, its the people again.

Only if they follow Singapore's glowing example of introducing GST to pay for the subsidy. :biggrin: