• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Christians ==> Please help explain these verses. Thanks!

neilgoose

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, Let me quickly highlight that I am not anti Christ. I respect Christianity for their wisdoms and loving kindness which is contained within the Holy Bible.

I have dwelled into the Bible for a while and strangely, certain verses and even doctrines seems a bit off. I know God has his ways and we will not be able to understand some of them (thats what most Christians tell me when I pose them questions). I would surely agree with that God's ways are higher. My only question is ... there are probably 10,000 other Gods besides the Christian God. What makes us so sure that the one described in the Bible, is the one?

---------------

Christians in general like to take verses literally. For eg.

1. These things I command you, that ye love one another. [John 15:17]

2. Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. [Matthew 11:28-30]

3. Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. [Psalm 1:1]

Great words. Literally. Inspiration to Christians. Then, Christians try to explain their way out for equally STRAIGHTFORWARD verses.

---------------------

Noticed these 2 verses that seems to encourage DISHARMONY within families. The govt of every nation may be weary of such "incitements"?

I think these are words by Jesus Christ.

(1) Matthew

32-33
"Stand up for me against world opinion and I'll stand up for you before my Father in heaven. If you turn tail and run, do you think I'll cover for you?

34-37
"Don't think I've come to make life cozy. I've come to cut—make a sharp knife-cut between son and father, daughter and mother, bride and mother-in-law—cut through these cozy domestic arrangements and free you for God. Well-meaning family members can be your worst enemies. If you prefer father or mother over me, you don't deserve me. If you prefer son or daughter over me, you don't deserve me.

(2) Luke

49-53
"I've come to start a fire on this earth—how I wish it were blazing right now! I've come to change everything, turn everything rightside up—how I long for it to be finished! Do you think I came to smooth things over and make everything nice? Not so. I've come to disrupt and confront! From now on, when you find five in a house, it will be—

Three against two,
and two against three;
Father against son,
and son against father;
Mother against daughter,
and daughter against mother;
Mother-in-law against bride,
and bride against mother-in-law."

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dear friend, there are things that we have to take and believe just with faith because some of these things have stood the test of time. Bible has stood the test of time and many things that written in the Bible didn't make sense to people several hundred years ago. However, many scientific discoveries have proved that Bible is accurate and they all now make sense to 'modern' man. For example, ancient people even great ancient scholars said that there were only few thousand stars in the sky. But the Bible written many thousand years ago has mentioned that the number of stars are like grains of sand on the beaches. Now science has proved it right. A conservative estimates by today's scientists is that there are billions of trillion stars. In fact, they are just uncountable like grains of sand on the beaches. God has spoken to mankind through the Bible. Go to the Yahoo and key "how many stars" and you be amazed with what today's scientists have discovered.

If you want to really know more about the Bible and some of the questions you raised, actually, what you need to do is to go to Yahoo or Google and do a search by typing key words. There are many well-qualified pastors and bible teachers who have dedicated their live to study the Word of God (that is Bible) and they can explain very well. God bless.

neilgoose

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dear friend, there are things that we have to take and believe just with faith because some of these things have stood the test of time. Bible has stood the test of time and many things that written in the Bible didn't make sense to people several hundred years ago.

Bible withstood the test of time? Hmm... can you cite more examples?

If you want to really know more about the Bible and some of the questions you raised, actually, what you need to do is to go to Yahoo or Google and do a search by typing key words. There are many well-qualified pastors and bible teachers who have dedicated their live to study the Word of God (that is Bible) and they can explain very well. God bless.

Ohh I think thats a bad idea. Whenever I search for strange verses on Google, I more often get commentaries from atheists and possibly anti religious websites. Plenty of them have a say on the contents of the Bible... makes me wonder if these guys who wrote all these understand the Bible more than most Christians.

That is why I decide to pose this topic here for believers to defend or rationalise. Am extremely disappointed that no one else besides you came forward to explain. Maybe you would like to get your Pastor/s in here? I have more fundamental questions to post. Most Christians only get to read the selected verses the Pastor highlight every Sunday... and ignore the other thousands of verses contained within the Bible. They probably know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call themselves Christian. Probably. Let us discover the truth for ourselves!

However, many scientific discoveries have proved that Bible is accurate and they all now make sense to 'modern' man. For example, ancient people even great ancient scholars said that there were only few thousand stars in the sky. But the Bible written many thousand years ago has mentioned that the number of stars are like grains of sand on the beaches. Now science has proved it right. A conservative estimates by today's scientists is that there are billions of trillion stars. In fact, they are just uncountable like grains of sand on the beaches. God has spoken to mankind through the Bible. Go to the Yahoo and key "how many stars" and you be amazed with what today's scientists have discovered.

Can you please cite more examples?

Hope scientist can one day tell us how to live in a whale for 3 days... and discover how a snake can talk.

Last edited:

neilgoose

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once again... Christians in our midst, please help explain some of these verses I posted here. If you cannot explain, get an elder or Pastor in here. I hope none of these are left unanswered. Am still waiting.

Psalm23 has kindly commented on the previous verses, but still no answer.

Here is another one:

"Should people cheat God? Yet you have cheated me! "But you ask, 'What do you mean? When did we ever cheat you?' "You have cheated me of the tithes and offerings due to me. You are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the LORD Almighty, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Let me prove it to you! Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease. Your grapes will not shrivel before they are ripe," says the LORD Almighty. (Malachi 3:8-11 NLT)

-----------------

Strange... very strange... !
Anyone?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Psalm23 is quite a kind man.

So neilgoose, if you are truly sincere about wanting to find the answers, then do as Psalm23 suggested. God will reach out to you even as you reach out to Him.

If you are not sincere, that is your choice and your own consequence. Then you are not looking for help. You are making fun of Jesus' words.

Last edited:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear friends in Christ,

If you want some words of encouragement, you can go to thethread: Today's Scripture Reading under the same blog [Discussions about Religion).

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi my dear friends-in-Christ,
If you want more examples of the Bible withstood the test of time, you can look at the following website:

www.clarifyingchristianity.com/science.shtml

From astronomy to biology to world politics, what the Bible has mentioned (and no men then could understood hundreds or thousands years' ago) are now proven by science and the world's political events. One of the amazing examples in the area of world politics is about the nation of Israel. It was completely destroyed in about AD70. Not only just the people of Israel scattered throughout the world, the language of Israel, that is, Hebrew was destroyed - destroyed in the sense that no one spoke this language for hundreds of years. God has however promised that the nation of Israel will be re-borned. Israelis (that is the Jews) from many countries miraculously gathered in the land of Israel and in 1948 Israel became a state which was duly recognized by the United Nation. The Hebrew language was also miraculously restored. The re-birth of the nation of Israel was foretold in the Bible almost two thousand years ago. No other nations that had been destroyed, it's people scattered had ever re-borned in the world's political history - but only the nation of Israel because God has promised it.

You can find amazing teachings on the subject of Science and the Bible in the Internet. Just click Science and the Bible you will get alot of information. Quite amazingly, many of these were written by great scientists. Trust Jesus, God of the Bible and you will never regret. Your live will be transformed for the better. You will have great hope - the hope of eternal life, a life that we will be with God and in a place specially prepared by Him for us. God bless.

neilgoose

Alfrescian
Loyal
So neilgoose, if you are truly sincere about wanting to find the answers, then do as Psalm23 suggested. God will reach out to you even as you reach out to Him.

Yes I am truly sincere to find out the answers. Hence I posted them here to get help. How will God reach out to me? Please advise.

If you are not sincere, that is your choice and your own consequence. Then you are not looking for help. You are making fun of Jesus' words.

That is ridiculous. How can I ever make fun of Jesus by quoting words from the Bible? Please explain.

Also please explain these verses that I have posted above... and this too. No blasphemy, I am merely quoting from the Holy Bible.

Deut 21:18-21.

If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his town at the gate of that place. They shall say to the elders of his town, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death. So you shall purge the evil from your midst; and all Israel will hear, and be afraid.

neilgoose

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am for religious harmony. So I will stop here.

Christians, best to explain these verses (and more). I think I have already found my answer... you should all find yours. And, yes, I attend church at least once a week. So I know Christianity pretty well. I am not a theologian but I have plenty of theologian questions to ask. So am I a Christian? Let's just say I put Christianity as my religion in application forms etc. I feel sad when most Christians are not able to explain verses like these that is contained within the Holy Bible. Its like I am asking what is algebra in maths.. and the answer I got is what is geometry.

Will stop this discussion as Christians will not like it.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
neilgoose,
Praise God that you are attending the church once a week. Did you actually ask your church elders or pastors those questions?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
U think church elders or pastors got answer? pls..........

i think this is a fair statement

often, the position of church elders or pastors will be the same across churches (protestants, catholics and greek orthodox) on fundamental matters but may deviate on church emphasis or even interpretations

still it is a good starting point to ask your church elders or pastors, far better than asking people here

but you might like to google the alpha course and attend one if you really have questions

they may not have the answers to your questions or may give you answers that do not satisfy you

nonetheless, you will be one step closer to finding answers that satisfy your soul

i believe an enquiring mind is the best asset a person has and that he who seeks will find that Jesus Christ is God; there are many reasons for this assertion but the primary one is that having given us a brain, He will respect our use of it

Brain without Heart is useless and having given us the rational basis to believe in Him, He also gives us the heart to feel Him, touching our lives in miraculous ways

Man needs God as much as God loves Man

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[/QUOTE]Man needs God as much as God loves Man[/QUOTE]

Where is GOD when certain part of the world is still suffering???? pls enlighten. Dun tell me again GOD already have plan for each of us..... shouldn't he be helping all of us to go heaven if he loves us, why should the rest go to hell if we dun believe in him????

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man needs God as much as God loves Man[/quote]

Where is GOD when certain part of the world is still suffering???? pls enlighten. Dun tell me again GOD already have plan for each of us..... shouldn't he be helping all of us to go heaven if he loves us, why should the rest go to hell if we dun believe in him????[/quote]

no matter what i tell you, you will not believe

you need to find it yourself

this i know, if you are willing to find the answer to that, you will find it

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ok. What if i tell you Jesus say he is a Man, like you and me, eat, sleep and answers nature call (not offence intended here)? Would you believe him?

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man needs God as much as God loves Man

Where is GOD when certain part of the world is still suffering???? pls enlighten. Dun tell me again GOD already have plan for each of us..... shouldn't he be helping all of us to go heaven if he loves us, why should the rest go to hell if we dun believe in him????[/quote]

this i know, if you are willing to find the answer to that, you will find it[/QUOTE]

U still dont see the point? U still havent wake up? What for I need to find out myself when there is thousand of devotees like u , BUT U GUYS JUST COULDNT ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.

When u pay for air ticket, do u need to be at the cockpit and helms the aeroplane? What for We need the pilot?

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i already did.

re-read my post #12 again.

And I keep seaching and searching, do u think end of the day, will the elders or pastor got answer for me? Plss.........I already said, u guys dun even know whom u r worshipping and u guys claim he is your GOD..... U met JESUS in real life b4?