• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renouncing Singapore Citizenship

bsyaja

Hi,
I am a registered Singapore citizen and I am currently residing in India and have decided to take up Indian citizenship and renounce the Singapore citizenship as I am about to retire and plan to get back my cpf monies for my childrens education. (I was originally from India and had taken up a singapore citizenship years back).

My application for Indan citizenship has been approved and I am now asked to submit the "certificate of the renunciation of foreign citizenship" from Singapore for getting my Indian citizenship certificate.

But I gather that to renounce Singapore citizenship, one is required to submit a copy of the foreign citizenship certificate and foreign passport which I do not have yet.

Now this is a catch22 situation as I need the renunication certificate to get my new citizenship certificate and the renunciation certificate is issued only upon submission of the new citizenship certificate.

Can anyone please advice, if there is a workaround or if anyone has ever faced or heard of this kind of situations.

Thanks for the help

PS: India also does not allow Dual citizenship at the moment.

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have 3 options here to renounce your Singapore citizenship:

1. Show the approval letter, declare your intention to renounce Singapore citizenship through a court affidavit and produce it to the ICA in Singapore. They would accept it. I have seen that work for the most part.

2. Depending on how long you were in India, the ICA would sometimes accept the provisional acceptance of Indian citizenship.

3. Just ask the ICA what other documents would prove your intent to renounce the citizenship.

If you give me some information about your case, I can be more specific:

1. How long have you lived out of Singapore and for how long did you hold the Singapore citizenship?
  2. How many years did you live in India and how long did the process of acquiring Indian citizenship take place?

I can also give you the contact of an immigration lawyer who has handled such cases before. Renouncing Singapore citizenship is a pain.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi,

Can anyone please advice, if there is a workaround or if anyone has ever faced or heard of this kind of situations.

Should be "Can anyone please ADVISE...".

"Advise" is a verb.

You obviously spent too much time in Sinkiepoor. Atrocious Singlish has rubbed off on you.:rolleyes:

burnout69

You have 3 options here to renounce your Singapore citizenship:

1. Show the approval letter, declare your intention to renounce Singapore citizenship through a court affidavit and produce it to the ICA in Singapore. They would accept it. I have seen that work for the most part.

2. Depending on how long you were in India, the ICA would sometimes accept the provisional acceptance of Indian citizenship.

3. Just ask the ICA what other documents would prove your intent to renounce the citizenship.

If you give me some information about your case, I can be more specific:

1. How long have you lived out of Singapore and for how long did you hold the Singapore citizenship?
  2. How many years did you live in India and how long did the process of acquiring Indian citizenship take place?

I can also give you the contact of an immigration lawyer who has handled such cases before. Renouncing Singapore citizenship is a pain.
Bro, wat do u man renouncing sg citizenship is a pain?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
I am a registered Singapore citizen and I am currently residing in India and have decided to take up Indian citizenship and renounce the Singapore citizenship as I am about to retire and plan to get back my cpf monies for my childrens education. (I was originally from India and had taken up a singapore citizenship years back).

My application for Indan citizenship has been approved and I am now asked to submit the "certificate of the renunciation of foreign citizenship" from Singapore for getting my Indian citizenship certificate.

But I gather that to renounce Singapore citizenship, one is required to submit a copy of the foreign citizenship certificate and foreign passport which I do not have yet.

Now this is a catch22 situation as I need the renunication certificate to get my new citizenship certificate and the renunciation certificate is issued only upon submission of the new citizenship certificate.

Thanks for the help

U are a disgrace and betrayer to the country you chose to adopt (where thousands of indians can only dream of) yet u are giving up the citizenship and going back to the nest that u never felt comfortable.

Spore is the best country on earth.
U will regret.

U

UpYoz_olo

Hi,

Thanks for the help

Fucking trollster! You must be dumbest keling in the world for asking this stupid question in this forum. All kelings already know how to when born, which is why I called you a trollster.

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
U are a disgrace and betrayer to the country you chose to adopt (where thousands of indians can only dream of) yet u are giving up the citizenship and going back to the nest that u never felt comfortable.

U will regret.

Yes, Spore is the best country on earth... no horse run ! I regret now... I think I shld return to accept paycut and retraining ? and get my son to face the music when he is 18...

I wonder what other 1st world countries have to offer ? Do I get a better deal ? Do i have a CHOICE ? Hmmm... decisions, decisions.. decisions. Where is the PAP - to decide for us..
:wink:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
you maybe getting a "paycut and retraining" but would this apply across the board to others?...as for the old NS chestnut...it is what it is...but like everything else even this once sacred cow is slowly but surely becoming a dynamic issue...same with dual nationality...
Yes, Spore is the best country on earth... no horse run ! I regret now... I think I shld return to accept paycut and retraining ? and get my son to face the music when he is 18...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
as bob dylan once sang "times they are a changin"...what was once fundamental national policy written in stone now appears to be open to discussion and possible change due to factors like say globalisation...egs IRs, total discrimination towards gays...NS use to be 2.5 years now cut to 2 years...give it time and it may get cut further and later on cut out altogether viz conscription because of immigration/FT/globalisation issues...same with dual nationality...

Could you please explain what you mean by "becoming a dynamic issue"?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
on the contrary the PAPs have changed in this regard save for keeping 377A...probably due to economic pragmatism...PAPs realise that certain sectors of the creative innovative set are gays...hence the relaxation to the pinks and also attracting the pink dollar...

It's good that the PAP govt has an anti faggot policy.

Gays should be sent for treatment to cure them of their deviant behaviour.

Those who refuse treatment should be driven out of town.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
as bob dylan once sang "times they are a changin"...what was once fundamental national policy written in stone now appears to be open to discussion and possible change due to factors like say globalisation...egs IRs, total discrimination towards gays...NS use to be 2.5 years now cut to 2 years...give it time and it may get cut further and later on cut out altogether viz conscription because of immigration/FT/globalisation issues...same with dual nationality...

there he goes again....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Renouncing Singapore citizenship is VERY EASY.

Just fill up the necessary forms (from a Singapore consulate), get certified true copies of the foreign citizenship cert or passport, surrender NRIC and Singapore passport. The Singapore consulate will send you a receipt for the fees. (Eg A$20)

Withdrawal of CPF is slightly more diffcult because you need to get Notary Public for your documents, including the Renouncation approval letter from Singapore Immigration. Added to that, CPF will notify IRAS to clear all outstanding taxes before refunding the money to you. (Min 2 weeks wait)

Easy as.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

U will regret.

You don't understand. Under LKY Constitution, 75% of Singaporeans need to come from China. :biggrin:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Thanks for the help

I agree India is a better place to retire than Australia

Hee hee

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree India is a better place to retire than Australia

Hee hee

Any place can be a better place, as long as you are happy..

The sky is the limit as long as you leave the enclosed space..

There are many rules in an 'enclosed space' and you'll have life threatening situation if ya not careful.. so why not leave the dangerous job to others while you continue to enjoy the outdoor activities.. no rules.. no penalty..

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

There are many rules in an 'enclosed space' and you'll have life threatening situation if ya not careful.. so why not leave the dangerous job to others while you continue to enjoy the outdoor activities.. no rules.. no penalty..

Of course who can be happy paying high prices and suffering in Australia?

No wonder so many Australians are leaving.

Hee Hee

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Thanks for the help

God bless you...enjoy the pollution and the massive traffic jams...of course you are nearer to bollywood which i dun enjoy...
let's dance round the tree.....

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal

i think the enclose place you are referring must be the little red dot...has anyone here ever think of moving to Greenland? the bloody place is is huge, and only has a population of 57,564.
you can walk naked for days without seeing a soul..how wonderful...
and like our friend here say, limited competition or perhaps no competition at all..and the land is your limit....