• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kenna 'Marked' - Myth or Reality

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always heard people saying that opposition candidates & people who vote for opposition get 'marked'. Is it true? What are your views? :smile:

manlovesbeef

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel its more myth than reality...i mean pls lah more than 30% vote oppo, cheng hu really have so much resource go monitor everyone meh...and also you always hear, a friend of a friend of a friend kena this kena that....but so far at least for me I have never ever heard of direct friends who kena jia lat jia lat.....unless your friend"s name is CSJ then dun say lah...WhahAHAHahAHAh

bigbossman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always heard people saying that opposition candidates & people who vote for opposition get 'marked'. Is it true?

If you are a common man, no need to worry. Gahment cannot marked everybody, don't have the resources and don't want to mark everybody. If you are a candidate, then you are marked lah. This is not a big deal, the opposition has been marking PAP men for years. Just go read Your SDP, you will see all the PAP men there marked. In other words, it is ok, part of the political process to be marked.

thomas88

Alfrescian
Loyal
This has been a Myth and Rumours. It could have been spread out in those early early days by the supporters or government to make ppl vote for them. And til this days, if you were to asked those older folks, they'll tell you it's the truth.

But I can only say it's a myth and like I've said in another thread......I've voted for many many times and my last vote was the first time I've ever voted PAP. All thanks to opposition like Chee Soon Juan who made me see oppositions in a different prospective.

I've never had any problem when dealing with any government sectors. So there's no need for that worry of being "marked."

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have also heard from many people saying that they will not be marked if they vote for the opposition. However at the end of the day, nobody vote for the opposition. :rolleyes:

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a common man, no need to worry. Gahment cannot marked everybody, don't have the resources and don't want to mark everybody. If you are a candidate, then you are marked lah. This is not a big deal, the opposition has been marking PAP men for years. Just go read Your SDP, you will see all the PAP men there marked. In other words, it is ok, part of the political process to be marked.

Are you referring to the recent case, Singapore opposition candiates 'Tan Lead Shake'????

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all boils down to whether u believe that yr vote is SECRET:p......Chiam & Low says that it is so.....so vote for opposition if u want 2 but can u find someone else besides the 2 of them:eek:......If Ms S Lim contests in a single ward the next time....it would be damm interesting :biggrin:

chinchai

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all boils down to whether u believe that yr vote is SECRET......

Singapore will never have change with this kind of mentality...

The PAP will take advantage of these fears :biggrin:

jacker

Alfrescian
Loyal
last voting is my ST voting due seldom get a changes to vote no opposition. When i go to the counter they ask my ic and infront of them there is a piece of paper that contain my name and serial number after that he give me voting paper and wrote down my serial number at my voting paper. I ask him for what this number, Are u going to trace back or what. he told me it for record purpose. i just go off with my unhappy face and cross Opposition. They can trace back if they want. There is no secrecies in voting so if u never vote for them try and ask their help see if they help u or not. It proven already fellow Singaporean living under opposition.

scare singaporean

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
i remember once i voted for the opposition and during those "pai fang" after the election,they went to every house in the same floor that i was living except mine. cos all my whole family voted for the opposition during that election.

nothing is secret,they know who vote for them and the opposition thru those serial number after all,those people working in the Election Department are also consider civil servant. so it is very easy to find out.

nothing wrong with voting for the opposition and you will not be "marked" unless you speak about it thru the internet or forum esp on those taboo topics.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The vote is precious. It is the only means of saying that this is the Singapore we want.

Therefore the issue is NOT wait kenna marked.

The issue is what is the best for us Singaporeans.

To do that, voters need to understand the issues facing Singapore. I look forward to the day when rallies are debates on why these policies are neccessary, the direction that they are leading Singapore to, the type of future that they are planning for us despite the price increases. Listening to all, we use our votes wisely to bring in the type of Government that will lead us to economic progress without us losing our pants.

But if instead of thinking about issues, we start to think about kenna marked, then our future kenna xxxxxx (you fill in the blanks).

Think of yourself not favouring the ruling party or the opposition. Rather think of what Singapore needs. A continuation of the PAP single dominant party rule? Extra oppositions? How will these help you? Single party rule means that decisions can be made fast. How will that be useful? In what circumstances will that be good? Bad? What if you vote in the opposition? What will you do? Ask questions, demand answers. And in the end, buy that which is useful to you.

But if you live in fear AND live in greed, what do you think will happen if there is compulsory electronic voting? Every one will vote out of fear, which means for the ruling party. After the ruling party comes into power again, what will happen? Grumble, grumble, slamming, etc. That is what will happen. Pathetic isn't it?

But if you vote the ruling party willingly and affirmingly because they have the best insights, the best direction for the country Or if you vote the opposition because a two-party state is ideal for singapore Or if you spoil your vote because you cannot decide, then so long as you do it in accordance with your conscience (not your fear), the democratic process play its part and Singaporeans will get truly a democratically elected and representative Government.

In this imperfect world, that's the best solution.

thomas88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The vote is precious. It is the only means of saying that this is the Singapore we want.........But if you vote the ruling party willingly and affirmingly because they have the best insights, the best direction for the country Or if you vote the opposition because a two-party state is ideal for singapore Or if you spoil your vote because you cannot decide, then so long as you do it in accordance with your conscience (not your fear), the democratic process play its part and Singaporeans will get truly a democratically elected and representative Government.

Very Very well said....Kudos!!

wahlau

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is absolutely no truth in being "marked" in the practical sense.

How can the govt go around marking nearly 40% of the population? And what can they do with these people? Chase them out of HDB flats, confiscate their CPFs? Deny them their edusave and growth dividends, etc?

In theory, the govt can trace your vote because of the serial numbers but then again this is disputable because the vote boxes are sealed in the presence of opposition members and destroyed also in the presence of opposition members.

Of course there will be some skeptics that will claim that the govt can go thro' the votes while they are in storage and "fixed" backed the seal, etc.
Personally I doubt it. History has proven that these opposition supporters do not go round creating trouble. Do we take to the streets for the slightest issue?

However, when the govt introduce the serial number on the ballot slip, Prof Tommy Koh (then Dean of Law Faculty, NUS) objected and raised the issue that the numbering instill a certain fear in the people. This is true to this day (hence this thread!). For that Prof Koh was sidelined and removed from his position and has now been "re-engaged" by the govt. The govt took advantage of this fear and operated within this environment of fear to their advantage. It is like I am telling you there is no ghost and scientifically proven so, but would you still be scared when walking in the dark?

Govt will target prominent people who step out into opposition politics. Who and what makes you prominent?

As an opposition, if you engage in issues, the govt deem you harmless. Example, LTK, Slyvia Lim. But if your strategy is to discredit the govt thro' some info that you have or know , then they "marked" you. Example Francis Seow.

If you are brave and dare to challenge the govt, then you would also fall into this category. Example, Tang Liang Hong, CSJ, Chia Thye Poh.

I have voted for opposition since the day I could get hold of the ballot slips. I make it known I cannot be in the presence of MIW and have no wish to be associated with them. I have no problems walking the streets of Singapore and have not been denied any rights due to me as a citizen. In fact, I speak openly for or against the govt if the need be which is more often against.

Let not this fear gripped you, The govt has more fears that their current PAP members jump ship to the opposition (which has happen before). This is more damaging than outsiders criticising the govt. Internal dissension is more damaging. Notice how quickly ex MPs like Tan Soo Khoon, Tan Cheng Bock, etc, are all but shreds of memories.

Now you understand why the govt look after their own, so that even if they retire from party life, they continue to be financially well fed into their golden years with all kinds of directorships. The best way to keep the mouth shut is to sealed it with a dollar bill. The bigger the denomination, the louder the silence.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pls lah, if u r just a common man, the MIW will not waste resources to "mark" u. I seriously dont think is at all interested in all opposition supporters. By closing all Public Media, all opposition supporters can only make "noise" here, nobody will take serious on what was view over the net. As long not like CSJ, the MIW dont give a damn wat u voted.

wbtym

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, they don't have to mark. They can always redraw their electorial zones. See how they sliced up Hougang? See how walkover zones get bigger and bigger (eg Tanjong Pagar GRC)?

antehner

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a commoner, why would they waste their time and resources to mark you?? unless you are someone with a higher power or authority.