• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What values are being imparted to the kids ?

dreamliner

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was channel-surfing last evening when I tuned to a TV programme in Channel 8. The programme is called The Records Challenge.

There was a scene whereby a teacher was apparently pissed-off by the comments of the TV hosts. The TV host had earlier made some negative comments on the works of the students and the teacher was upset about the incident. Upon further query, it seemed that nowadays the approach to teaching the kids is to encourage, praise... even though their work may be indeed lousy.

I am puzzled by this approach. Let's face it - we are living in a harsh environment. It's every man for himself. This is being played out everyday - different in forms, but the substance is by an large the same.

So, I think the better to come clean with the the kids. Tell the facts straight in their face. The earlier that they come to realise and accept this hard but true fact, the better it will be for them. For sooner than later, they will have to face up to someone performing better than them, cleverer than them. And that they will have to work really hard to achieve that they wanted. Even then, things will often not go according to their plans.

The truth hurts for sure, but there is no point hiding it.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yalor ...

when airpot got no 1, wah ... splashed all over ze front page of papers ... when nt no 1, diam-diam ...

when nus went in2 top 10, wah ... splashed all over ze island ... where is iz position now, any 1 noes? ...

"ze truth hurts 4 sure, but there is no pt hiding it ..."

:biggrin:

hallehluya

Alfrescian
Loyal
po2wq, why are you typing like that?

Sometimes, over-praising or encouragement may not be a good idea. But ocassionally, 'white lies' like these are necessary.

jw5

Loyal
I was channel-surfing last evening when I tuned to a TV programme in Channel 8. The programme is called The Records Challenge.

There was a scene whereby a teacher was apparently pissed-off by the comments of the TV hosts. The TV host had earlier made some negative comments on the works of the students and the teacher was upset about the incident. Upon further query, it seemed that nowadays the approach to teaching the kids is to encourage, praise... even though their work may be indeed lousy.

I am puzzled by this approach. Let's face it - we are living in a harsh environment. It's every man for himself. This is being played out everyday - different in forms, but the substance is by an large the same.

So, I think the better to come clean with the the kids. Tell the facts straight in their face. The earlier that they come to realise and accept this hard but true fact, the better it will be for them. For sooner than later, they will have to face up to someone performing better than them, cleverer than them. And that they will have to work really hard to achieve that they wanted. Even then, things will often not go according to their plans.

Most kids these days are spoilt rotten by their parents. They grow up not knowing what is wrong or right and have very weak value systems.

hallehluya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most kids these days are spoilt rotten by their parents. They grow up not knowing what is wrong or right and have very weak value systems.

Agree totally on 'not knowing what is right and wrong'. Kids these days ah..

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

This clearly shows that you do not understand the way to teach children in a humane way.

It is the traditional sinkie 3rd world education that lead people to behave in a sinkie way.

Now there is a way to unsinkiefied the education , it should be supported. This is the type of education that is more human.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course the teacher is upset. Having his/her students criticised on TV will reflect badly on him/her as well. He/she is merely looking for his/her own interests. This is something someone should teach the students as well, in case they really think their teacher is upset for them rather than because of them.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
encouragement has been proven to be the best method to boast the confidence of the child

Yes, but telling them the hard facts so they are prepared for the hard knocks later on in life is also a good method for me :smile:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Teaching kids nowadays need some tact. Olden days method don work. if you throw them all the negative report , they will give up sooner.

By giving them pointers and more encouragment to do things better is the right way to go. They will grow up with self esteem. If a person grow up with a negative self esteem, it is going to hurt them and effect their performance in the later part of their life. If you tell them the hard fact now at this age, they will give up automatically and the teachers will be out of job, this will reflect even more badly on the teachers itself.

The host of the programme has his job to do , that is to provide some laughter and entertainment. It life TV. Just like SIMON COW on American IDOL , he earn his pay cheque through his flowery vocab on the contestant ! Without such "entertainment critisim', i think American IDOL will lost a lot of the shine.

But anyway , If a kid can't tell what is right and wrong, this reflect badly on the PARENTS.