• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

10 Charges for Ming Yi

Bika

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ren Ci probe: 10 charges against Ming Yi

Ming Yi was charged in court on Tuesday with 10 criminal counts including forgery, misappropriation of funds and under the Charities Act

BUDDHIST monk Ming Yi, the flamboyant chief of the Ren Ci Hospital and Medicare Centre, was accused on Tuesday of several offences concerning its financial affairs.

The 46-year-old, whose real name is Goh Kah Heng, was charged with defrauding the charity, forgery and helping to falsify its accounts, all offences under the Penal Code.

He was also accused of forging documents to cheat auditors and giving false information to the Commissioner of Charities, both before and after a probe was initiated last November by the Health Ministry, which is in charge of medical charities. These are breaches of the Charities Act and the Penal Code.

The sums involved totalled about $300,000. Ming Yi faces up to a year's jail for providing false information to the Commissioner, and up to seven years' jail for forgery.

Accompanied by a few friends and a team of three lawyers headed by Senior Counsel Andre Yeap, the saffron-robed monk had the 10 charges read to him in English in a district court.

Ren Ci is the second large charity involved in court proceedings following the National Kidney Foundation scandal which ended with its former chief, T.T. Durai, going to jail.

Like the NKF, Ren Ci ran big annual fundraising shows which reaped millions of dollars in donations, and the highlight every year was a stunt performed by Ming Yi.

Ming Yi has been freed on bail of $200,000 and is due back in court on Aug 4.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest+News/Courts+and+Crime/STIStory_257880.html

Any bros got comments on this?

But i see his fund raising shows, quite touching leh. Lucky i never donate anything after the NKF saga ah!!

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
bail of $200k is a small amount.
maybe the IRS or the relevant department overseeing these charities should publish those CEO/Chairman/President of all the charities organisations.
then we will know how much monthly.yearly and bonus that these people is drawing/getting.
it was published before that Ming Yi is getting about $1mil in a year.

after Ming Yi,i expected more to come. the government do not dare to publish all those charities that have problem with their accounts least the donations will greatly reduce and the government will have to subsidy or grant more cash to the charities.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Kind of sad to see a monk becoming like that. Or maybe he dun understand proper and ethical commerical practices?

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But i see his fund raising shows, quite touching leh. Lucky i never donate anything after the NKF saga ah!!

I nv donate any moni to his show... I aw hav dis feeling it's jus an act... Lots of friend disagree with me... It took so many yrs to justify my doubt.. then again... how i wish i m wrong...:(

poorman4sex

Alfrescian
Loyal
thats what I always tell my mother also... donate until the charity members fat fat... but those needy people get so little...

then the xiao Lee come and ask people to donate more~~!!
but the finance sinister ask boss not to increase pay~~~

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are also uncensored dvd/vcd seized from his condo. just wonder whether he also watched when his assistant played them? And wonder what did they do at those moments? (if his assistant did not watch alone)

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am not a buddhist but i feel the criticism against rev ming yi is unfair

he is a monk but he is not Buddha

so if he does fall and if proven to have cheated, it is just a reflection on himself as a human being first and a monk second...

just an opinion...

55cents

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am not a buddhist but i feel the criticism against rev ming yi is unfair

he is a monk but he is not Buddha

so if he does fall and if proven to have cheated, it is just a reflection on himself as a human being first and a monk second...

just an opinion...
We are all humans. He is a nobody if he is't a monk that does lots of appearence in media. He sells himself as a monk doing all these stunts in the faith of charity. If he cheats, he will be cheating people from what he protray himself as, which is a monk. I don't think anyone treats him as a Buddha, as he is not, yet. He don't fly, he took planes.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did Ming Yi step on someone's golden toes? Charges of corruption are among the easiest to bring against a man with access to lots of money in order to destroy his reputation. By the time the dust settles, the actual case doesn't matter any more, he's ruined.

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are all humans. He is a nobody if he is't a monk that does lots of appearence in media. He sells himself as a monk doing all these stunts in the faith of charity. If he cheats, he will be cheating people from what he protray himself as, which is a monk. I don't think anyone treats him as a Buddha, as he is not, yet. He don't fly, he took planes.

Yep. And if ming yi has done wrong using religion as a conveyance, he ll have done twice as bad in the eyes of many ppl. If it is proven true the criminal charges, it is he and his accomplices alone who are to blame for the fracas.

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
more than Dulai.
another of old saying is being proven - "shui neng wu guo"

where are all those who said that he is so great eg Quan YiFeng,Wang LuJiang and etc,when he did those stunts and brought in more than anyone during those charities' show.
now is the real time that he needs the support.
now maybe we know the reason why ? he maybe trying to make people donate more,so that it can still keep his other business and interest alive by giving loans to those businesses that he have a interest/share in.