• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top 10 reasons people emigrate to New Zealand

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Top 10 reasons people emigrate to New Zealand

1. All new Zealanders are migrants or descendent of migrants, so newcomers are always welcome. The first settlers in New Zealand were the Maori, some 700 years ago. The next wave of migrants came from the United Kingdom in the 19th century, followed by an influx of European migrants at the end of World War II. More recently, the country has welcomed many new residents from various countries such South Africa, Zimbabwe and India.

2. New Zealand has a modern, prosperous, developed economy with an estimated GDP of $106 billion. The country has a high standard of living with GDP per capita estimated at $26,000.

3. Despite New Zealand’s ever-growing economy and motivated workforce, the country is still in need of skilled workers in various fields. The door is therefore open for workers from abroad to bring their skills to New Zealand and enjoy its unrivalled quality of life.

4. New Zealand’s population consists of just over 4 million people, with a further 1 million New Zealanders living abroad.

5. The primary language of the country is English

6. New Zealand was ranked 20th in the 2006 Human Development Index and 15th in The Economist’s 2005 Worldwide Quality of Life index. Most Recently, New Zealand was named the second most peaceful country in the world in The Economist’s Global Peace Index, compiled ahead of the G8 summit.

7. The New Zealand landscape is spectacular, and includes stunning bays, lakes forests and mountain ranges. Areas of particularly breath-taking scenery include the Bay of Islands, Milford Sound and the Fiordland National Park.

8. Sport, leisure and an outdoor lifestyle are regarded extremely highly in New Zealand. The national sport is Rugby Union and other popular sports include cricket, rugby league, netball, soccer, golf, tennis, rowing, skiing, snowboarding and a variety of water sports, particularly sailing.

9. There is no ingrained class system in New Zealand, but more a belief in every individual’s ability to contribute to society in their own positive way.

10. New Zealand cares greatly about the world and is always at the forefront of global issues of major debate. The country is particularly passionate about its anti-nuclear stance and had introduced legislation to reinforce this belief.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. It's an awesome place to live/study/work here. People are really nice and friendly.

It really doesn't matter which country one is in. It is the attitude of the people and the govt that makes any country a great place to be in.

NZ is an awesome place (not 100% perfect) because the ugly trait of KIASUISM which is really an euphenism for selfishness (Me First syndrome, the hell with the rest) has not taken root yet. The govt is compassionate for the less fortunate and it translates into a caring society. Good governance does not mean having to squeeze money out of every nook and cranny, making profits all the time and a person's worth and esteem is not measured by paper qualifications, how much one makes, how swanky the car one drives, living in a flash suburb or the job one does in NZ.

The friendliness, graciousness and common courtesy is apparent even when there are crowds of people (in supermarts, sports-stadiums, garden shows etc etc). Seen even on the roads, indicator signals are shown, giving way to traffic where needed, no incessant honking when the lights just turn green etc.

Even at the food courts (lunch hour) in NZ, you do not see the tissue packet being used to reserve seats. Years(Decades) of PAP courtesy/kindness National campaigns have not even come close to achieving what is seen in NZ. Use of the words, 'please', 'how are you?' 'May I', 'excuse me' and 'thank you' are phrases commonly heard and used naturally in NZ.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
How is the nightlife in New Zealand?:confused:

People do not emigrate to NZ for the nightlife. People emigrate to NZ to get away from the 'tissue paper choping' crowds and the mindless rat race.

Without the critical mass of a densely populated base, NZ would not have jammed packed places like ZOUK etc as in Singapore.

Nightlife does exist even for a small city of 300,000 population (Christchurch)
http://www.asiarooms.com/travel-gui...stchurch/nightlife-in-christchurch/index.html

Sleazy after dark joints which are also legal (Brothels & Massage Parlours/bath-houses etc)
http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/p4j7/atami-bath-house/

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

National RSS Email Print
<hr class="displayNone"> <!-- First Image Width= 230 --> Pensioners better off in NZ: study

4:00AM Tuesday Apr 07, 2009
By Isaac Davison
<!-- Ixt1-->
ageing.jpg

According to the OECD's survey, elderly Kiwis are among the best looked-after senior citizens in the world. Photo / BOP Times

New Zealand's older citizens are well looked after by the Government - in fact, better than in the world's richest nations.

Only 2 per cent of New Zealand's retirement-age population were classed as below the poverty line in a 2008 OECD study. Just 13 of the 30 countries had poverty rates of less than 10 per cent among older people.
The study of 30 OECD countries compared the income level of retirement-age New Zealanders to median disposable income levels.

However, several organisations who work with older people said the study does not reflect the financial reality of New Zealand's retirees.

A transtasman comparison found Australia's older population in far worse shape, with 27 per cent of over-65s below the poverty line.

Michael Littlewood, co-director of the University of Auckland Retirement Policy and Research Centre, said: "There are several possible explanations for New Zealand's favourable international position but the most obvious difference between New Zealand and the other 29 OECD countries is the simple, generous New Zealand superannuation pension."

However, social policy researcher Charles Waldegrave said if the study were to use the official New Zealand poverty threshold (60 per cent of disposable income levels), New Zealand would place last in the same study. "Most of our superannuants sit in the band between 50 and 60 per cent of median household income."

Some organisations working with older people said the OECD study findings were misleading. Age Concern chief executive Ann Martin said: "They just don't match what older people are telling us. Common sense tells us you can't live on $12,500 - $16,000 per person [after tax] annually, but that's what most superannuitants have to do.

"International comparisons of living standards and superannuation are notoriously unreliable. For example, in New Zealand there's none of the additional supports, like cold-weather power payments and free medical visits, that UK superannuitants get."

Grey Power president Les Howard said that older people still struggled financially in New Zealand because of flaws in our superannuation system and the effect of the economic downturn.

* Coping with life
Which country's older people are best off?
1= NZ, Netherlands, Czech Rep
4: Luxembourg
5= Iceland, Hungary, Poland
15: United Kingdom
26: United States
27: Australia
Source: OECD, Growing Unequal? Income Distribution and Poverty in OECD Countries

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It really doesn't matter which country one is in. It is the attitude of the people and the govt that makes any country a great place to be in.

NZ is an awesome place (not 100% perfect) because the ugly trait of KIASUISM which is really an euphenism for selfishness (Me First syndrome, the hell with the rest) has not taken root yet. The govt is compassionate for the less fortunate and it translates into a caring society. Good governance does not mean having to squeeze money out of every nook and cranny, making profits all the time and a person's worth and esteem is not measured by paper qualifications, how much one makes, how swanky the car one drives, living in a flash suburb or the job one does in NZ.

Do fellow kiwis still use "Bros" when addressing you?

I think it is wonderful to know that such a caring society still exist. No doubt that when I read the shits Kiwis do in stuff.co.nz, watch Border Patrol or even the stupid things drivers do, I still think overall, NZ is a more humane society.

FIRSTSTATE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got Chinese go there or not?
How much it cost to emigrate there for retirement?
Above 40, got chance or not?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think it is wonderful to know that such a caring society still exist. No doubt that when I read the shits Kiwis do in stuff.co.nz, watch Border Patrol or even the stupid things drivers do, I still think overall, NZ is a more humane society.

According to a local migration agent, more Singaporeans are applying to New Zealand than Arsetralia these days, especially the ones over 50 and wishing for retirement.....

Kind of says it all about Arsetralia, and how much better New Zealand is......

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

I hardly hear 'bros' being used over in the South Island, sometimes I get to hear the 'mate' by blokes.

NZ is a more humane caring society because of its egalitarian psyche, compassionate govt policies (for the old and less fortunate), cool temperate environment, open spaces, slow pace of life and lack of crowding.

In contrast, put in a KIASU(ME FIRST) elite class psyche, pressure pot (you die your business) no free lunch govt policies, hot ambient temperature environment, congested high density living, fast materialistic pace of life and you get a different kind of society that NO COURTESY/KINDNESS national campaign can undo.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

National RSS Email Print
<hr class="displayNone"> <!-- First Image Width= 230 --> Bashed taxi driver: Attackers' insults were worst

4:00AM Tuesday Apr 14, 2009
By Jacqueline Smith
<!-- Ixt1-->
taxi7.jpg

Jarnail Sandhu, 53, was attacked by four men who removed his turban. Photo / Brett Phibbs

An Indian taxi driver beaten and humiliated by Herne Bay party-goers says attacks on his community are not given enough attention until someone loses their life.

Jarnil Sandhu, who works for Auckland Co-op Taxis, was attacked by four men he drove on Saturday night from Herne Bay to Emily Place in the city centre.

When he asked for his fare, the men punched him to the ground and removed his turban, which is humiliating for a Sikh.

The Indian Society of Auckland said members of the Indian community were often more vulnerable to attacks because of their lines of business, such as working in dairies and liquor stores and as taxi drivers.

Mr Sandhu, 53, spent Sunday in hospital for treatment to bruising and swelling around his face and jaw, but said he was most hurt by the passengers' insults about his turban and the way they tried to steal it.
His wife, Manmeet Sandhu, said members of the Indian community faced far too much abuse. She was was seeking greater awareness of what she felts was racism.

Jagdish Natali, of the Indian Society of Auckland, said he knew of two violent attacks on Indian small-business owners in Blockhouse Bay in the past 10 days.

"Indians are hard-working people, they don't mind working long hours. It's unfortunate that they are being victimised by thugs."

Mrs Sandhu said she was surprised that her husband's passengers, who were in their mid- to late-20s, could be so immature.

The Sandhus, who have two daughters, moved to New Zealand 15 years ago to be safe.

"It was not our dream to live like this," Mrs Sandhu said.

Mr Sandhu will return to taxi driving because he has to support the family. In India he worked as a veterinarian, but found it too difficult to find work in that field here.

Inspector Barry Smalley of the police northern communications centre said assaults on taxi drivers were not common.

Copyright ©2009, APN Holdings NZ Limited

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am afraid of the cold. That arsehole Leongsam told me that NZ is as cold as Canada. I didn't expect a reply from him bec he spouts shit all the time.

But is it true?

KiwiSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

Haha, so mean you. Ozzies got their own version of Border Patrol also. Being shown right now since the NZ season just ended.

KiwiSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
How is the nightlife in New Zealand?:confused:

It's pretty alright, there's clubbing and pubbin where you want. Most of the time though when you find a good set of bros you group together over the weekend and hang out drinking and chatting and just enjoying the easy life in general.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Life & Style RSS Email Print
<hr class="displayNone"> <!-- First Image Width= 160 --> NZ cities among world's best for quality of life

9:33AM Tuesday Apr 28, 2009
<!-- Ixt1-->
kayak-main1.jpg

Auckland is the fourth-best place in the world to live, according to the latest Mercer Quality of Life survey. Photo / Getty Images

Your Views Are you happy with your quality of life?

New York, London and Paris don't hold a candle to Auckland and Wellington, according to a worldwide quality of living survey.

The New Zealand cities ranked among the best in the Mercer 2009 Quality of Living survey, which covered 215 cities and was based on criteria including political, social, economic and environmental factors.

Auckland jumped one place from last year to join Canada's Vancouver in fourth place, while Wellington stayed 12th on the list.

Austrian capital Vienna took the No 1 spot, knocking Switzerland's Zurich and Geneva into second and third respectively.

Paris (France), Tokyo (Japan), London (England) and New York (United States) were in places 33, 35, 38 and 49 respectively.

Baghdad, in war-torn Iraq, claimed last place.

The global recession meant many organisations were reviewing international appointments and cities with favourable rankings had an advantage when it came to attracting expatriates, Mercer spokesman Rob Knox said. "Despite the financial crisis, New Zealand remains a very attractive market for expats - particularly as a career development opportunity for high potentials."

Across the Tasman, Australian cities also ranked among the best places to live, with Sydney taking 10th, Melbourne 18th and Perth 21st.

Mr Knox said the results supported the case for companies sending staff to Australasia."Our major cities continue to tick all the boxes for expatriates who have access to established infrastructure and transport facilities, quality housing close to the city, a wide selection of restaurants and other amenities, as well as a good education and environment for their families.

"Economic growth in the Asia-Pacific region is outstripping most other parts of the world," Mr Knox said.
"Multinationals can send their high performers down under to gain experience in a mature market, but on the door step of, and with exposure to, one of the fastest moving regions in the world."

10 Best Cities:
1. Vienna (Austria)
2. Zurich (Switzerland)
3. Geneva (Switzerland)
4. Auckland (New Zealand) and Vancouver (Canada)
6. Dusseldorf (Germany)
7. Munich (Germany
8. Frankfurt (Germany)
9. Bern (Switzerland)
10. Sydney (Australia)

10 Worst Cities:
1. Baghdad (Iraq)
2. Bangui (Central African Republic)
3. Ndjamena (Chad)
4. Brazzaville (Congo)
5. Khartoum (Sudan)
6. Sanaa (Yemen Arab Republic)
7. Pointe Noire (Congo)
8. Nouakchott (Mauritania)
9. Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
10. Port au Prince (Haiti)
- NZPA

Copyright ©2009, APN Holdings NZ Limited

holyman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Mr Kiwibird,

Would be travelling to Auckland in July to look around...some questions:

(1.) Is SIA the only airlines that offer direct flights?

(2.) How wet is it in July? Does it rain 2 or 3 hours max, or does it pour the whole day?

(3.) Any malls and factory outlets to recommend?

Thank you for your time and help...

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's pretty alright, there's clubbing and pubbin where you want. Most of the time though when you find a good set of bros you group together over the weekend and hang out drinking and chatting and just enjoying the easy life in general.

Thanks for feedback. Other queries that I have :

Are there legalised brothels there? If so, how much per screw and what nationalities are the prostitutes?:confused:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Mr Kiwibird,

Would be travelling to Auckland in July to look around...some questions:

(1.) Is SIA the only airlines that offer direct flights?

(2.) How wet is it in July? Does it rain 2 or 3 hours max, or does it pour the whole day?

(3.) Any malls and factory outlets to recommend?

Thank you for your time and help...

If I am in NZ, I will not be thinking of shopping.
There are a lot more things to do than wasting time in a mall, eg tramping.
:cool: