• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tell us who your favorite Olympian is here.

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, we have seen the spills and the thrills of the Olympics these two weeks and we are coming to a close of the games. It is now time for us to soak everything in and ask ourselves who we have fancied and who we adore in this Beijing games.

Some will vote the weightlifter who won for his dead wife. Another will vote for the one-legged female swimmer who came in 12 out of 23 in the swimming marathon. Others will vote for the Chinese volleyball team (defending champion), who crashed out and now fighting for bronze position and due for retirement after this games.

Others will vote for the beach volleyball teams from China who came in second and third, in a game that has few followers in China and fewer players in China, yet they came out of nowhere to win medals.

Some would be rooting for Shawn Johnson, who lost out to her compatriot Nastia Liukin in the all-around Gymnastics Aesthetics and when she won the Gold for the beam exercise against Liukin, it was well-deserved.

Others would say that the Chinese weightlifters are the best in this Olympics as their excellent performances were unexpected.

Still, some would have said the Dream team from USA was the best showcase of team events in this Olympics and some would say that the Chinese Gymnastic teams, both male and female, have redeemed themselves after their major failure in the Athens games.

So, let us know who is your all-time favorite Olympian or Olympian team.

Patriotic Singaporeans would vote for Li Jia Wei or Fang. I would have gone for Wang Nan, because she is a wonderfully pleasant player, whether she is winning or losing.

However, I have chosen to pick my favorite of this Olympics the Chinese Archery female individual Gold medalist Zhang Juan Juan!! She has my vote as I loved seeing her shoot her arrows. :o:biggrin::smile:

01280_142x190.jpg

Archery

<TABLE class=AthleteBioTable><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=top>Born: </TH><TD>January 02, 1981
Shandong, China

</TD></TR><TR><TH>Residence: </TH><TD>
Beijing, China

</TD></TR><TR><TH>Ht: / Wt: </TH><TD>
5'7" / 144 lbs

</TD></TR><TR><TH>Olympics: </TH><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Event(s): </TH><TD>Individual; Women's team

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<META content="Zhang Juanjuan" name=searchtitle>

Taking down the top
Zhang Juanjuan, ranked No. 7 in the world as of June 17, showed at the 2007 Olympic test event that she belongs in the sport's elite when she knocked off then-No. 1 Natalya Erdyniyeva, 113-107, in the round of 16. Juanjuan overcame a day marred with heavy winds -- Erdyniyeva admitted to the Xinhua News Agency that it affected her mentally. "The coach did not make any special arrangements, but I myself prepared for the match psychologically. I was quite confident about the 1/32 elimination, because the opponent is rather weak," Zhang told the Xinhua News Agency. "I anticipated that I would meet this Russian archer in the 1/16 elimination round, who is now ranked world No. 1. Therefore, I was fully prepared to have a fierce competition with her. It is pleasing that I have persevered to the end. The wind had some influence, but I felt better when I held the bow more tightly."

But still second to one
In what has become an unwelcome tradition in women's archery circles -- unless you're from South Korea -- teams trying to win gold in the Olympics have only been able to play for silver. China has been a team runner-up twice in the Olympics, coming within one arrow of dethroning the sport's kings -- er, queens -- at the Athens Games. Zhang, a part of that team, told the Xinhua News Agency, "Though missing the gold medal, we have done our job." China only lost the gold medal when individual gold medalist Park Sung-Hyun scored a perfect 10 to secure the 241-240 win.

A Beijing champ
Zhang knows that she has one thing going for her when she steps to the line at the Beijing Olympics -- she has won there before. At the 2001 World Championships, Zhang and her teammates won gold in the championship. Though, they beat Italy -- no small task -- to do it, as the Italians upset South Korea in the semifinals.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
i like our very own Wang Yue Gu..

in fact there is a thread dedicated just to her..:p

dethknight

Alfrescian
Loyal
I double that bro hughgrant. Guo jingjing indeed a beauty. I love Zhang Ning of China in badminton too. She is graceful inside the court. Wang Nan of table-tennis. Always have that child like smile on her face. :biggrin:

terror03

Alfrescian
Loyal
My favourite will have to be the diving queen of China, Guo Jingjing.
A real beauty in the pool & off the pool. Too bad she is going to the wife of a HK rich man's son.:(