• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Chinese shouldn't have Christian names

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anne Chang
(Mandarin)-Dirty

Anne Chin
(Mandarin) - Keep quiet

Faye Chen
(Mandarin) - Dusty

Carl Cheng
(Hokkien) - Buttock

Monica Cheng
Hokkien) - Touching your buttocks

Lucy Leow
(Hokkien) - You are dead

Jane Tan
(Mandarin) - Frying eggs

Suzie Leow
(Hokkien) - Lost till death

Henry Mah
(Mandarin) - Hate your mum

Corrine Tai
(Hokkien) - Poor fellow

Paul Chan
(Mandarin) - Bankrupt

Nelson Tan
(Mandarin) - Bird laying eggs

Leslie Tong
(Mandarin) - Rubbish bin

Carmen Teng
(Hokkien) - Leg hair long

Connie Mah
(Cantonese) - Call your
mother

Danny See
(Hokkien) - Squeeze you to death

Rosie Teng
(Hokkien) - Screws and nails

Pete Tsai
(Hokkien) - Nose droppings

Macy Koh
(Cantonese) - Never die before

marlborotan

Alfrescian
Loyal
kee kee. Bro. Chris name is ok la as it facilitate ppl to remember you. Just need to take into consideration when you read it in hokkien, cantonese etc loh.

joker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think many get confused by "English" names and "Christian" names.

Names like "Tan Ah Kow" or "Chan Teck Leng" are Chinese names.

Names like "Michael Loh" or "Alan Cheng" are "English" names and not "Christian" names.

Christian names are those christians that adopt a name like "Moses" or "Joseph" or "Daniel" or "Gabriel" which are names of the disciples of Jesus.

For your info, Catholics have two names like Gabriel Joseph Tan.

Similarly people adopt Muslim names after they become muslims.

So like what bro SammyHulk mentioned, Chinese names are sometimes difficult to remember. So we adopt "English" names for people to address you easily. You need not adopt a Christian name becos you may not be a christian. Just an English name will do.

So bros, I hope this clarifies the difference between "English" names and "Christian" names. :smile:

williamsF1

Alfrescian
Loyal
chinese names bearing dialect can sometimes be funny too. my fren last time share with me, if the HK 4 heavenly kings were born in SG, they will never be heavenly kings.
张学友 - Teo Orh Yew, Jacky
黎明 - Lai Beng, Leon
刘德华 - Low Teck Hwa, Andy
郭富城 - Kwek Hock Seng, Aaron

Adept

Alfrescian
Loyal

Names like "Michael Loh" or "Alan Cheng" are "English" names and not "Christian" names.

Christian names are those christians that adopt a name like "Moses" or "Joseph" or "Daniel" or "Gabriel" which are names of the disciples of Jesus.

So like what bro SammyHulk mentioned, Chinese names are sometimes difficult to remember. So we adopt "English" names for people to address you easily. You need not adopt a Christian name becos you may not be a christian. Just an English name will do.

So bros, I hope this clarifies the difference between "English" names and "Christian" names. :smile:

Not so correct. "Christian name" simply means a name one adopted when the person go through some kind of initiation or something. For example, when a ship has been built, it may be "christianed" with a ship name.

Also Christian names are not restricted to those names from bible like Moses or Peter, etc. As long as the name was adopted because of a initiation (like going through a water baptism or joined a church), it is a Christian name, even the names are "Bjorg" or "Candy". However, many adopted English names for sake of easy remembrance, and has nothing to do with being a Christian. These names can be Moses, Peter, Michael, etc.

Just my 2 cents. :smile:

Ridler

Alfrescian
Loyal
chinese names bearing dialect can sometimes be funny too. my fren last time share with me, if the HK 4 heavenly kings were born in SG, they will never be heavenly kings.
张学友 - Teo Orh Yew, Jacky
黎明 - Lai Beng, Leon
刘德华 - Low Teck Hwa, Andy
郭富城 - Kwek Hock Seng, Aaron

Bro, I know the first one means "kena black oil" in Hokkien but the other three means what huh?

Can share share? Sorry, my hokkien no good lah. :smile:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how tis 4 a name? ... :rolleyes:

son's name - batman ...

dad's name - superman ...

batman_bin_suparman.jpg

loafer73

Alfrescian
Loyal

finally, someone said what's on mind :biggrin:

that's what i kept telling people around me, but they just couldn't differentiate 'english' and 'christian' names :mad:

yup, some of our chinese name is not easy to pronounce especially when u r in a foreign land. so english names make it easier for them (foreigners especially ang mo), and we save ourselves the trouble of wondering whether they were calling out to you or who :p

kiko

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think when singapore education system , start to use English, exposed to western lifestyle, naturally we want to called ourselves christian names, not exactly we are christian as religion issue.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
how tis 4 a name? ... :rolleyes:

son's name - batman ...

dad's name - superman ...

batman_bin_suparman.jpg

This one is classic Father superman produce a batman.
How about flying fox produce a Vampire bat?
Chinese Foo See Chor .. we call Foo Chee By..
How about Chew Wai Pok.. Pok Kai lah...
How about Cantonese name Yip Chee Hong.. in Hokkien it's terrible!!!

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah, i am also of the opinion that there is a difference between english and christian names

christian names are given to the children in the hope that some of the virtues of the christian heroes will rub off on them

english or western-styled names are just names that make it easier for our english-speaking population to remember

although this may be a technicality for some, yet it is sufficiently important for those of the christian persuasion to want to clarify

birdie8819

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not so correct. "Christian name" simply means a name one adopted when the person go through some kind of initiation or something. For example, when a ship has been built, it may be "christianed" with a ship name.

Also Christian names are not restricted to those names from bible like Moses or Peter, etc. As long as the name was adopted because of a initiation (like going through a water baptism or joined a church), it is a Christian name, even the names are "Bjorg" or "Candy". However, many adopted English names for sake of easy remembrance, and has nothing to do with being a Christian. These names can be Moses, Peter, Michael, etc.

Just my 2 cents. :smile:

Well Said bro . :wink:

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha.. really funny. must be careful to make sure that the english names dont sound like something stupid in dialect