• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

human rights or freedom of speech ?

tamelover

Alfrescian
Loyal
do we really lack human rights or freedom of speech (or both) here in singapore ? is this a good trade-off for what we are having now as compared to other countries ?

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not lack but very limited. In our point of view not really a good trade off but for our government is necessary for control and order.

lecher

Alfrescian
Loyal
whatever we have (or the lack of them), we are not worst off as compared to those western countries that preach this human right thing and do otherwise .....

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
some say that suppression of free speech is important to law and order...what it really means is that it promotes the status quo and protect the power base of the ruling party

yet, to see it from the ruling party's point of view, does free speech undermine law and order? It may. If we study how minority leaders come into power, including leaders in Asia, it starts with freedom of speech.

the question is: do we want minority leaders in power? For a developed nation like the USA, that is a good thing because it protects the Constitution which affirms the rights of individuals. The Constitution is above the ruling party. But can it be ported to Singapore? Our leaders said 'No'. And there is a basis for that, because singaporeans by and large are influenced by personalities and tend to trade personal insults based on politics, without considering if their own political agenda is good for Singapore as a whole.

Having said all these, i am of the opinion that there is a reasonable freedom of speech in singapore. We have a good system. We only need to make it better.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Freedom of speech? No need to go so far beyond tcss by cabbies in your ride (no fare discounts though):p

Be it human rights or freedom of speech, we may not be quite up to the mark compared with more developed countries -possibly due to our demographics, and our "benign" autocracy.

Saving grace is that our political apathy is no worse than before, natural progression?:wink:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
do we really lack human rights or freedom of speech (or both) here in singapore ? is this a good trade-off for what we are having now as compared to other countries ?

If the person is of 3rd world caliber and is sinkie to the core, Singapore is the perfect place for him.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There is freedom of speech just be sure you can back what you are saying!

It is just like saying you can do anything you want but dun get caught.

I say that the CPF is on the verge of being emptied. So you mean i have to go and confront the ministers to give me all the details and investments that they use from the cpf and show me their bank account of the cpf how much that is left?

So you think those so called high up ministers will welcome you if you wanna to check that out?

Ridler

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not the same.

Usual rule is if you can back up what you say you have nothing to fear. But be prepared for costly legal battles :biggrin:

Agree bro. Even you are able to back up what you say, you also must have money to fight long and expensive legal battles.

The two whistle blowers for the NKF saga kena pay damages until jialat jialat even though they are speaking the truth last time becos they got no money and time to fight the all mighty NKF lor. Only SPH can bring them to their knees.

They also tot that they are doing the right thing to voice out to let fellow citizens know the truth but the truth is that you must be financially and emotionally prepared to go into long drawn legal battles. It will definitely affect your work also becos you will be distracted by the whole saga. Eventually, you will feel that your work and family also get drawn into a long and tiring ordeal.

Freedom of speech comes with some form of committment and burden too. You speak the truth, then prepare to defend it with all your resources. Unless you have strong resources, otherwise you will realise later that it is not so simple as trying to be robin hood.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Methinks some of you don't really understand the meaning of "freedom of speech".

It doesn't mean you can say anything and not get caught. It means the maximum of what it entails - you can call LKY an idiot on TV and he can't do anything about it.

By referring to "western countries that claim to have it but don't practise it", you must be talking about the US. The US is the worst developed country in the world and is hardly a good example. You should look at REAL 1st world countries like western europe or scandanavian countries.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Methinks some of you don't really understand the meaning of "freedom of speech".

It doesn't mean you can say anything and not get caught. It means the maximum of what it entails - you can call LKY an idiot on TV and he can't do anything about it.

By referring to "western countries that claim to have it but don't practise it", you must be talking about the US. The US is the worst developed country in the world and is hardly a good example. You should look at REAL 1st world countries like western europe or scandanavian countries.

That is what i am pointing at but these 3rd world sinkies dun really understand a thing. SO fast you give them a real answer, i wanna play with them longer.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No respond on this thread. No more interest in freedom of speech? or too sinkie to be freed.

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
in all honesty, i am torn between putting food on the table, vs human rights and freedom of speech.

at this moment, i am not sure if singaporeans or singapore opposition parties are mature enough to manage that kind of freedom.

The best case scenario is to have good Human rights, and freedom of speech, opposition forms a shadow cabinet eventually and blah blah blah, like Australia or US.

The worst case scenario, singapore turn out like Taiwan, where the politician are mainly interested in digging out shit of the other parties, fights in parliments...etc...etc. resulting to 10 years of no growth in the country.

which is better? i also don't know. But when i ask myself, i am not sure if i would want to risk the second scenario happening... at least not until i know singapore has a mature opposition party.

Boss_555

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore promote "freedom if speech".

But people will let anger rule over there head. And say the wrong things that is why $$$$$$$$$ in court lor. Good business for Govt. leh.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore promote "freedom if speech".

But people will let anger rule over there head. And say the wrong things that is why $$$$$$$$$ in court lor. Good business for Govt. leh.

That is not democracy when the govt is so petty to sue pple out of this. This is call cowadracy.

People can SAY ANYTHING THEY WANT, why must be like a school that punish people to say wrong things, especially things that does not sound nice will be wrong to them.

If the govt has done nothing wrong why are they so afraid of people opening out their mouth. This is not call freedom if they do something like that. People should open their dic to understand the meaning of freedom.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the system benefits the society as a whole, instead of fulfilling the ministers' own personal satisfaction, it doesn't matter much on either.

As they say, there will always be a trade off when you have to choose one over the other.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The society will never be 1st world when the govt treat its citizens like children.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..society will never be 1st world when the govt treat its citizens like children.
Also begs the question citizenry must also stand up and be counted. Cuts both ways, most are rather used to, or daresay, complacent with "guided" democracy (or benign autocracy to some).:cool: