• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ERP gantry

maituleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Transport Minister says in the long run will help the retail industry,but will these retail outlets survive before then? As it is , the traffic jam now starts even earlier than before as most people will leave earlier to avoid paying the extra. Furthermore,with oil prices surging, how can these more ERP gantry help businesses in the long run.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I guess "business" here refer to the govt own co tat build the gantry, the 1 who maint the gantry, the 1 who write the sw, the 1 who supply the hw, the one who manuf the cash card m/c, the 1 who make the cash card, the 1 who sub cont frm LTA to catch those who try to b funni, the 1 who.... say... cum 2 think of it, alot of business benefit leh... unfortunately... all by chance govt own... :biggrin::p

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Transport Minister says in the long run will help the retail industry,but will these retail outlets survive before then? As it is , the traffic jam now starts even earlier than before as most people will leave earlier to avoid paying the extra. Furthermore,with oil prices surging, how can these more ERP gantry help businesses in the long run.

How can us mere mortals ever understand how?

It is as profound as "hiking GST will help the poor" logic

williamsF1

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can us mere mortals ever understand how?

It is as profound as "hiking GST will help the poor" logic
they take from you (many times a day) everyday, and then return you bit by bit (in 3 instalments), make you believe that they're being compassionate about your situation :o

Pleasure_empire

Alfrescian
Loyal

The government made the $ from ERP, electricity etc still not enough, I came across many time the parking attendance checking on car if they has placed the parking coupon. They do not give chance, incident when I just late by 3 min, I kanna the fine. & they roam the whole entire carpark like fighting a war (Very On).

I feel depress as the Poor getting poorer, the rich (government) getting super richer. I am feeling as if we as a singaporean no longer enjoy been a citizen, they are squeezing us mad!!!

Last edited:

michael_368

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the critical decision for us as a people is that whether as a people we are willing to take sometimes difficult decisions, painful decisions, that we know will benefit Singaporeans as a whole. Or do we postpone difficult issues, difficult measures, do the popular thing and store up bigger trouble for ourselves in the future.:mad:

kiko

Alfrescian
Loyal
ERP in a certain extend is good, but too much ERP will make drivers feed up, and dont want to drive that road.

tigerboy18

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reasons given by the Govt on installing more ERP n increasing d rates are incomprehensible. Whatever reasons they give I personally don't agree with them.

Take for 1 simple example, they say to regulate d traffic flow. Is it so true? I don't think so. To me if you have to travel during tat time u have to travel. Ya, some will say, "plan 1st lah b4 u drive". Sometimes it is not tat easy.

Take another example, the ERP in d morning starts at about 7.30am. How not to travel during tat time? Almost everybody have to reach d work place (except shopping ctr) between 8am to 9am. You sure will gana d stupid ERP mah! Can you report at d office at 10.15am or 10.30am? Can't right? The Govt not stupid. They will get your money and you cannot run away.

The traffic police came out wif tis idea called "fencing" to catch all those who drink n drive. Now u see, the LTA also hv "fencing" to catch all motorists on d roads. U can't run.

Did u guys notice tat d Govt has run down d COE prices since last year? Of course they say COE prices are based on d law of Demand & Supply. Do u really believe it? Just like d HDB when u do a valuation of your HDB flat. The HDB has already fixed a range for d valuation of a particular period. I hv a friend who import all d marbles, doors, door nobs, lightnings etc from Italy n it cost him a bomb. He fixed all these expensive fixtures n fittings (cost abt S$150,000) in his Executive flat. 3 years down d road he wanna sell it n u gues what was his valuation? The valuation report only reflect sapproximately $8K higher than similar Exe flat in his block. You tell me what is valuation? All d fixtures n fittings were apparently ignored by d Valuer! I bet d valuation wld b different had it b a pte property.

To me, d reduction of COE prices are just to lure more ppl to buy car. Indeed there are many more cars on d road now. And once u hv a car, u dun drive meh? Nobody wl be so silly to buy a car (besides weekend car) n then leave it at home n take public transport. Otherwise why buy d car in d 1st place?

Today so many ppl are complaining abt our Govt. And I always ask d same question to d chap who is complaining, "Did u get d chance to vote during d last election?" n if it is a yes, I wl ask, "Who did u vote?" Why do you complaint now if you hv voted for them? We gave them d mandate to do whatever things mah, didnt we? So if u really wanna to register your unhappiness, do it during d next election lor.

I dun belong to any political party hor, n I dun like politics. As some ppl has said, "Politics are dirty". I give credit to d PAP Govt for what they have done for Singapore & Singaporean. But there are also many issues tat I cannot agree with d PAP Govt. I salute our Mr. LKY when he said to Chee Soon Juan in Court abt 2 months ago, n he said it is not for me to say, it is also not for u to say. it is for d ppl of Singapore to say. LKY then went on to say the final test is have we (d PAP govt) made Singapore a better place today if we compare it to d days in 1959. He is right. We should b mindful of d fact tat Singapore is a just a tiny island without any natural resources but yet we have come so far n came out so well. Certainly we cannot wipe away or forget all about d good governance tat d PAP govt has done for us under d respective credible leadership of the PAP govt since independence.

But I must say d Govt must feel for its ppl, understand d difficult times d ppl are going thru now n assist d ppl to enable them to hv a stable livelihood. I personally feel tat these additional ERP gantries n increase in rates are not done at d appropriate time. The ppl are really suffering n crying. How much blood can u draw from a piece of stone. 不要雪上加霜. :rolleyes:

maituleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
It still does not make any sense ,only logical explanation is to add to the govt coffers. Since most of the roads are there, they just need to put a gantry over it and collect money. Maybe if you say to regulate the flow in Business district maybe okay cos all the mega buck earners are there ,BUT in Toa Payoh where's the logic????

ePoet

I think Bro Maituleow stumbled upon the right reason. With enough ERP gantries around the entire island and not just in the "CBD" area, eventually the government will probably implement usage-based road tax. After all, what is ERP but an additional form of road tax for busy areas?

With that in mind, I think we can all foresee some or all of the following will result:

1) ERP becomes 24/7. Usage-based road taxing means that drivers will be charged anytime they drive on public roads.
2) Per-gantry charges will reduce, but with a gantry on every major road, ERP charges per trip will increase.
3) Traffic jams will occur in little side-roads and carparks with multiple entrances as drivers seek routes with as few ERP gantries as possible.
4) Eventually traffic fines will be a thing of the past. With say one ERP gantry every 500m along the PIE, ERP gantries will be intelligent enough to calculate how fast a car is moving from one gantry to the next. Move too fast, and the ERP charges are jacked up accordingly.

I think at the rate this country is constructing new gantries, the four possibilities I outlined above may come true in say... 2015?

maituleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think at the rate this country is constructing new gantries, the four possibilities I outlined above may come true in say... 2015?

Bro epoet, by 2015 even Bicycles will have IU unit .I seriously think the govt has taken it too far, what you have predicted might happen even sooner than you think.

ePoet

Bro epoet, by 2015 even Bicycles will have IU unit .I seriously think the govt has taken it too far, what you have predicted might happen even sooner than you think.

Yeah... who knows? Government may decide that since pedestrians walk on city streets, they need to be taxed too. By 2015, all NRICs will be converted to mini-IU units. Walk under a gantry and... BEEP

B

bobtan999

Bro, by 2015, the gantry is just outside your gate...:smile:

tigerboy18

Alfrescian
Loyal
Therefore, as I hv said, show them we are not happy in d next election. Dun be scared, vote against what you r not happy wif. Give d vote to d Opposition even if they field an idiot, dun spoil d vote.

Dun worry, there cannot b 73 opposition candidates to challenge d ruling party. If d opposition can really find 73 heroes or good men, d govt wl change d electorate or d boundary n divide tis tiny island into 200 constituencies.

Ever tot abt why we have 73 constituencies on such a tiny island? :smile:

Boss_555

Alfrescian
Loyal
Therefore, as I hv said, show them we are not happy in d next election. Dun be scared, vote against what you r not happy wif. Give d vote to d Opposition even if they field an idiot, dun spoil d vote.
Bro, voting for opposition is not as easy as you think.

Will you vote for a person like chee soon juan ????

I will very much love to vote for opposition but they are weak leh talk cock in rally, no substance... who would want to vote for this kind of opposition leh???

If we have people with brains siting in the opposition then you think pap will have so many voters meh??? :smile:

tigerboy18

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi Boss,

I fully understand your point. I know when we vote, we dun vote blindly. Most of us will size up d opposition candidate b4 we vote. Tat is of course d correct way to vote. And then there r many Sporeans who dun like d ruling party but at d same time find tat d opposition candidate has no substance. So what do they do? They spoilt d vote. And when they do tat they simply think like tis, "Well, i dun like d ruling party, but i also find tat d opposition cannot make it, so i spoil d vote n nobody gets my vote." And there again, some other Sporeans will think like tis - "Well, since d opposition candidate has no substance, i better cast my vote to d ruling party". Not wrong to do tat, bcos we, d so-called intellectual, deemed it tat we have no choice but to vote "wisely" n so better vote d ruling party again.

Now d reality is like tis, - d opposition candidate dun get d vote, but at d end of d day d ruling party surely will get more votes than d opposition bcos there is a big chunk of spoilt votes n also a bit chunk of votes to d ruling party candidate bcos they have no choice but have voted so to speak, wisely.

And then what happen? d opposition candidate didnt even get d minimum votes count to ensure tat he will not lose his deposit (d deposit sum I cant remember, but I m sure it exceeds $10K). Now, who would dare to pit against d ruling party when every time u dun qualify to get back your deposit???

There again, bro Boss, my point is even if 20 opposition candidates (half of them r loonies n a few sbf bros.... hahaha.....) got voted in, do u think tat will make d ruling party lose their right to govern? No right? But what it happen is tat now we have made our statement clear, tat we dun agree wif d ruling party's policies. n at d same time there r now a few more opposition in parliament to voice some sensible opposing views, hopefully.

But all in all, we have n should give d opposition candidate a chance. You c, lets assume if tat loony Chee guy managed to get into parliament, do u think he can survive very long as a member of d house, given his kind of character? Surely he will be shot down in less then 3 months. The other opposition candidates ought to take a leaf fm Mr. Chiam of Potong Pasir or Mr. Low of Hougang, n then learn a lesson fm being reckless like tis Chee guy.

He ought to learn how to do his homework properly and do his homework right, get his fact n evidence clear b4 he shoot off his mouth. He probably think he is a hero, but what is d use of being hero when he has no brain? He is just like d low rank foot soldier during d Qing dynasty wearing a big 勇 character at d front and charging down at d enemy, but got killed eventually bcos he doesnt use his brain to work out d strategy. I pity Chee, even if I hv to give him or up his points for courage, he is still a guy who is "有勇无谋".

Hope u see my point. Have a nice day bro. :smile:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dun worry, there cannot b 73 opposition candidates to challenge d ruling party. If d opposition can really find 73 heroes or good men, d govt wl change d electorate or d boundary n divide tis tiny island into 200 constituencies.

Ever tot abt why we have 73 constituencies on such a tiny island? :smile:

Malaysia only have 222MP in Parliment and the land is 600 times compare to Singapore island. Malaysia population is 7 times more compare to Singapore. Why why why ?????? DO we need so many MP???????????????

Boss_555

Alfrescian
Loyal
He ought to learn how to do his homework properly and do his homework right, get his fact n evidence clear b4 he shoot off his mouth. He probably think he is a hero, but what is d use of being hero when he has no brain? He is just like d low rank foot soldier during d Qing dynasty wearing a big 勇 character at d front and charging down at d enemy, but got killed eventually bcos he doesnt use his brain to work out d strategy. I pity Chee, even if I hv to give him or up his points for courage, he is still a guy who is "有勇无谋".
Well to each his own. At the end of the day. Like it or not regardless of what we do the pap will still rules. :smile: