• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Afganistan wins first Olympic medal

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't need foreigners. Don't need Million-dollar sports councils. Don't need million-dollar facilities.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080820.wolymafghanmedal20

ERIC TALMADGE

Associated Press

August 20, 2008 at 5:46 PM EDT

BEIJING — In Rohullah Nikpai's war-torn country, fighting is a part of life. Living in tough conditions is a given. Training for the Olympics is a luxury few can afford, or even imagine.

But Nikpai has proven it can be done: On Wednesday he won Afghanistan's first Olympic medal ever.

"I hope this will send a message of peace to my country after 30 years of war," Nikpai said after winning the bronze in the men's under 58-kilogram taekwondo event.

The victory brought immediate congratulations from President Hamid Karzai.
Rohullah Nikpai of Afghanistan bites his bronze medal during the medal ceremony for the men's -58 kg taekwondo event in Beijing on Wednesday. Rohullah Nikpai, one of the four athletes here from war-wracked Afghanistan, beat world champion Juan Antonio Ramos of Spain 4-1 in a playoff for the bronze.

Rohullah Nikpai of Afghanistan bites his bronze medal during the medal ceremony for the men's -58 kg taekwondo event in Beijing on Wednesday. Rohullah Nikpai, one of the four athletes here from war-wracked Afghanistan, beat world champion Juan Antonio Ramos of Spain 4-1 in a playoff for the bronze. (BEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP/Getty Images)
Related Articles

Recent

* Gonda suffers opening loss
* New breed of athlete is higher, faster and scrappier
* Bolt shatters world record in 200
* Du Toit inspires in Olympic debut
* British cyclists keep rolling
* Reed miscalculates, but moves on
* Bay Regula's spirit not enough

The Globe and Mail

"The president personally called Rohullah Nikpai and congratulated him for this achievement," said spokesman Humayun Hamidzada.

For his accomplishment, Nikpai will be given a house at the government's expense, Hamidzada said.

Nikpai, he said, serves as a "role model for many other Afghans."

The victory comes at an especially difficult time.

Afghanistan was under high alert Monday for fear of attacks coinciding with Independence Day, and the capital, Kabul, has had limited electricity. So following the Olympics has been a challenge even for those Afghans who care.

But given the war, lack of power and economic woes, many Afghans perceive the Olympics as a distant spectacle for other nations to enjoy.

Only four Afghan athletes came to Beijing, representing a country that had never won an Olympic medal and is sinking ever deeper into war as the Taliban insurgency escalates.

Sprinter Robina Muqimyar — who in 2004 broke the gender barrier on the Afghan Olympic team — was last in a field of 85 women in the 100 metres, with a time of 14.80. She ran with a scarf covering her head.

Teammate Massoud Azizi finished 76th in the men's 100. He trains in Kabul's National Stadium, where the Taliban once staged regular public executions, wearing jogging shoes because his spikes won't dig into the track's cracked, concrete surface.

But Nikpai, who is 21, has claimed a spot among his sport's elite.

To claim the medal, he won a stunning victory over taekwondo world champion Juan Antonio Ramos of Spain.

Nikpai said he started the Korean martial art when he was 10 because his brother had found a club in Kabul to train.

Not only was it an escape from the daily rigours of life in a country that not been at peace since the 1970s, he turned out to be good at it.

Exceptionally good.

With the help of his family and other supporters, he got to travel to international competitions, and last year won silver at one of the sport's premiere events — the world qualifiers in Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh City.

With success came better training conditions. After being selected for the national team six months ago, he has been able to use a special gymnasium.

But in a country where sports take a distant place behind the realities of war, few resources are dedicated to training athletes. Afghanistan has also had trouble gaining recognition for its national federations due to political divisions and concerns over the former Taliban regime.

"My training situation is a lot like the situation in my country," he said. "It's not good."

The news from the Olympics, however, is a rare ray of light.

The country has another chance at a medal in taekwondo. Nesar Ahmad Bahave, the silver medallist at the 2007 world taekwondo championships in Beijing, is competing in a heavier weight class.

And for Nikpai, there is an added bonus.

Along with the president's offer of a house, Nikpai's bronze medal also brings him a $50,000 (U.S.) prize from a mobile phone company in Afghanistan.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
How apt... fighting is in their blood.

Did they send a contingent for rifle shoot too? :-)

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That is so touching sob sob!!!

A country that is war torn and still the people have the integrity to win a medal by ITS OWN PEOPLE. They have my highest respect.

A

Alu862

Well depends on what type of house. But yes I tip my hat off to this guy, who was not in the Olympics for money unlike some trio of butches.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that PM Lee would point out that Afghanistan have a 20million+ population. Got to win 5 or 6 medals first before being comparable to Singapore's 1 medal.

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
should also point out tat this country has done it in a war torn environment.....while have so called world class facilities & training method.....