• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Young Man Shares his Story of Survival at Suicide Prevention Forum

Xplosive

Something went wrong the night of September 25th, 2000. Alone, 19-year-old Kevin Hines walked out onto the towering Golden Gate Bridge. He snapped a photograph for a couple of smiling tourists; then turned, leapt 220 feet to the jagged water below—and survived.
The magnificent Golden Gate Bridge—like Santa Barbara’s own Cold Spring Bridge—is known as a suicide magnet. Few are aware that, since its completion in 1937, it has attracted approximately 1,300 jumpers, making it the world’s number one site for suicide.i But then, few know that suicide takes more than 31,000 lives each year in the U.S.ii The people of The Glendon Association are working hard to change that. They recognize the anomaly of Kevin’s suicide attempt, not in his survival, but in the fact that so few preventative measures were taken by his society to protect him—and the other 5 million living Americans who have attempted to take their own lives.

Did you know that:

60 to 90% of all suicidal behaviors are associated with some form of mental illness and/or substance use disorder.

Many people believe that abuse, addiction, and suicidal tendencies are moral failings and that individuals are fully capable of controlling these behaviors.

Historically, the stigma associated with mental illness, substance use disorders and suicide has contributed to the inadequate funding available for preventive services and to low insurance reimbursements for treatments.

When concerned that someone you know may be suicidal, look for these Warning Signs:

1. Someone threatening to or looking for ways to hurt themselves: seeking access to pills, weapons
2. Talking or writing about suicide; preoccupation with death or dying
3. Anger, seeking revenge
4. Recklessness
5. Hopelessness or despair
6 Increasing alcohol and/or drug use
7. Withdrawing from friends, family, society
8. Loss of interest in hobbies, work, school
9. Dramatic changes in mood, behavior and/or personal appearance
10. Anxiety, agitation, trouble eating or sleeping

loafer73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting facts about Golden Gate Bridge.

i agree suicide is a form of mental illness. there were times when i stray to that point. it takes personal effort to pull yourself together and move on.

life is really a challenge.

BicycleChain

Alfrescian
Loyal
Something went wrong the night of September 25th, 2000. Alone, 19-year-old Kevin Hines walked out onto the towering Golden Gate Bridge. He snapped a photograph for a couple of smiling tourists; then turned, leapt 220 feet to the jagged water below—and survived.
The magnificent Golden Gate Bridge—like Santa Barbara’s own Cold Spring Bridge—is known as a suicide magnet. Few are aware that, since its completion in 1937, it has attracted approximately 1,300 jumpers, making it the world’s number one site for suicide.i But then, few know that suicide takes more than 31,000 lives each year in the U.S.ii The people of The Glendon Association are working hard to change that. They recognize the anomaly of Kevin’s suicide attempt, not in his survival, but in the fact that so few preventative measures were taken by his society to protect him—and the other 5 million living Americans who have attempted to take their own lives.

Did you know that:

60 to 90% of all suicidal behaviors are associated with some form of mental illness and/or substance use disorder.

Many people believe that abuse, addiction, and suicidal tendencies are moral failings and that individuals are fully capable of controlling these behaviors.

Historically, the stigma associated with mental illness, substance use disorders and suicide has contributed to the inadequate funding available for preventive services and to low insurance reimbursements for treatments.

When concerned that someone you know may be suicidal, look for these Warning Signs:

1. Someone threatening to or looking for ways to hurt themselves: seeking access to pills, weapons
2. Talking or writing about suicide; preoccupation with death or dying
3. Anger, seeking revenge
4. Recklessness
5. Hopelessness or despair
6 Increasing alcohol and/or drug use
7. Withdrawing from friends, family, society
8. Loss of interest in hobbies, work, school
9. Dramatic changes in mood, behavior and/or personal appearance
10. Anxiety, agitation, trouble eating or sleeping

I have the video on the suicides committed at Golden Gate Bridge. It is a very sad video and shocking for some who watch it. Rather long and a big movie file, but if you are interested, you can let me know.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Call 1800 221 4444 if you need help.

I believe that those who want to commit suicide should be provided with a help line that can assist them in provding the best method of achieving their goal of taking their own lives.

Botched suicides are extremely costly for all parties. It would be much better if suicidal people are helped in their quest for self extermination. It would mean one less depressed person on this earth and also a reduction in the gene pool of the mentally unstable.

What do you guys and gals think?:wink:

wbtym

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that those who want to commit suicide should be provided with a help line that can assist them in provding the best method of achieving their goal of taking their own lives.

Botched suicides are extremely costly for all parties. It would be much better if suicidal people are helped in their quest for self extermination. It would mean one less depressed person on this earth and also a reduction in the gene pool of the mentally unstable.

Then they have to broaden the criteria for performing euthanasia other then those who suffer terribly from terminal diseases. Then again, who will set the criteria? It will be very difficult and I don't see it feasible in the near future. You might even be branded a cultist.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Euthanasia is a different kettle of fish altogether. It involves one party killing another. The possibility of abuse of laws allowing euthanasia are very real.

Suicide, on the other hand, is very straightforward. A person has a desire to kill himself. He/She should be given as much assistance as possible to achieve that aim.:p
Then they have to broaden the criteria for performing euthanasia other then those who suffer terribly from terminal diseases. Then again, who will set the criteria? It will be very difficult and I don't see it feasible in the near future. You might even be branded a cultist.

MambaLeyla

Alfrescian
Loyal
sorry for him and his family...but no news leh.

how many have committed suicide because of this bloody financial tsunami? knn

DearestGodlikeWarlord

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well you and I Sam, we believe in (massive) population reduction it seems. What we should tell those about to jump off rooftops is:

"Sure you can jump, it's your life. But, don't damage any private or public property, don't cause duress upon others, don't hit anyone else and make sure you die. Don't come crawling back up and crying to me!"

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

How long does it take to produce a human being? About 9 months.

Any computer having computation power higher than human brain? None.

So why let a virus infected (suicidal, depressed) mind to go self destruct by itself? It takes times, energy, and money to produce a human being. What a waste to just self destruct the human beings.

Suggestion? Let someone, organization who got the time and will, to clean up the virus of the infected human mind.

darryl_sw

Alfrescian
Loyal

How about this for a help line?

failredo-31.jpg

Attachments

• failredo-31.jpg
    failredo-31.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 286
U

UpYoz_olo

I absolutely concur your views except they should first take out you and people like you before they continue. A bloody and totally win-win situation for everyone.

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

ntvinh986

Interesting facts about Golden Gate Bridge.

i agree suicide is a form of mental illness. there were times when i stray to that point. it takes personal effort to pull yourself together and move on.

life is really a challenge.

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!