• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

casual dressing

ben_cooldude

Alfrescian
Loyal
i read with interest on a recent news article that singaporean are generally too casually attired. what's wrong with that ?

i've been to miami and those folks there are just as casual. in fact, wearing a pair of pants would bring about some stares fm those local folks ...... :rolleyes:

to me, comfort comes first ..... not 爱美不爱命 :biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
i read with interest on a recent news article that singaporean are generally too casually attired. what's wrong with that ?

i've been to miami and those folks there are just as casual. in fact, wearing a pair of pants would bring about some stares fm those local folks ...... :rolleyes:

decent dressing sense aside, i thought it is the weather that would dictate the type of clothings we would wear... imagine a fella walking down Orchard road, or anywhere in the open streets in Singapore, in a trench coat with double layers underneath... got to make it comfy first...

KuaTioGui

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's the damn bloody weather lah...

if singapore got winter i can also look smart in leather coats, trench coats, boots, blazers...

too bad weather forever hot... quite sian actually... same clothes same style everytime...

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thsk depends on occassion that article blowing matters out of proportion. If big event like wedding of course must dress up. But if go hawker center or beach need to wear leather shoes and wear coat meh?

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's the damn bloody weather lah...

if singapore got winter i can also look smart in leather coats, trench coats, boots, blazers...

too bad weather forever hot... quite sian actually... same clothes same style everytime...

True! Actually we like to look smart and cool too! But in this weather? I prefer to stay :cool:

KenC

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the writer has some inferior complex and think that some foreign custom is better then ours.
C'mon man. What is wrong with being casual (at the right time and place of course)?
What's wrong with strolling along Orchard road in bermuda/shorts and tees in this hot and humid weather? It has different climate from 5th Ave or Champ Elysse right?

55cents

Alfrescian
Loyal

Better 2 overdress than underdress

ultrashiok

Have no problems with berms/tees at orchard road but I've personally seen people dressed in berms/tees attending a symphony concert! :eek:
Even the ushers dressed better!

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think the underdressing is just singaporean. Singaporean are super casually dressed compared to our peers in the region, for eg Hong Kong. I don't think the weather is a valid reason. Look at Hong Kong and Shanghai. Fair enough, they have 4 season. But during summer, Hong Kong is just as hot or hotter than Singapore. Shanghai is currently about 38 degrees day or not. Middle East is about 48 degrees. Yet the people there are all better dressed then us.

In US it is different. Most companies there, including the financial sector have adopted casual dressing for work, mondays to fridays.

I guess a lot of Singapore just don't really care about dressing at all. It is actually a form of respect when you dressed up for a meeting. I hate it when the person meeting me for a business negotiation is not dressed up for the occassion.

I don't really care if the person is dressed casually for shopping. But i think when it comes to work, he or she better be dressed up for the occassion.

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is casual everywhere, from symphony concert to the parliament. Our members of parliament go without ties in the parliament, I wonder what they did with the millions we pay them.

Can't afford to buy a tie? Don't understand what professionalism is? For goodness's sake, dress professionally in suit and tie. Whether it's in the parliament, in the office or on official duties.

The Malaysian politicians are professional dressed, whether it's malay or chinese, or even a low level politician's aide, they all dress in suit and tie.

Le Empereur

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is casual everywhere, from symphony concert to the parliament. Our members of parliament go without ties in the parliament, I wonder what they did with the millions we pay them.

Can't afford to buy a tie? Don't understand what professionalism is? For goodness's sake, dress professionally in suit and tie. Whether it's in the parliament, in the office or on official duties.

The Malaysian politicians are professional dressed, whether it's malay or chinese, or even a low level politician's aide, they all dress in suit and tie.

Let me take a shot at it. They don't wear ties in parliament because they want to stay in touch with the common man. :p Maybe time to have a dress code for parliament force them to spend more to dress up.

Last edited:

Slider_72

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess a lot of Singapore just don't really care about dressing at all. It is actually a form of respect when you dressed up for a meeting. I hate it when the person meeting me for a business negotiation is not dressed up for the occassion.

When it is a business meeting, there is no excuse in not wearing the proper attire. That begs the question as to what is the proper attire. Is a long sleeve shirt and pants enough or must we wear a tie and suit? In HK, Korea and Japan, a suit is indispensible. However, in the Singapore context, a suit and tie is normally not the norm even for business meetings.

After office hours, I see no fault for dressing down. This is part of the uniquely Singapore culture. We are comfortable with ourselves and do not peg our self-worth to what we wear.

Some people say that dressing up when we go out is a form of respect to others. My question is who set such a standard? Is this a local standard or Ang Mo standard? My own feeling is that some of those who studied overseas tried to adopt the foreign culture when they came back to Singapore and decry our local culture as uncouth.

We are who we are. I am not offended when I see a fellow Singaporean strolling down Orchard Road in tees, berms and slippers. I also do not find a chap dressed to the nines to be particularly respectful either.

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
wear what u want...
why bother wat ppl said...
as if those wearing nice nice will fart smell like armani!!! <----words always used by my grandma and grandpa!!

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually dress according to occassion. Nothing wrong with dressing casual during normal times. Hahaha wait govt start a dressing well campaign then we know! :biggrin:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
In japan summer, when the weather is as hot as here, the people still dress in double layers and suits. Ditto for HK. But that's becos the weather is cool for 3 seasons, and hot for 1 season. So people get used to dressing more and won't make exceptions for just summer.

The sg, it's hot all year round!

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Style over comfort, how are you going to choose?

Dress up for events, but for other everyday event? Dress to your needs.

If you want to dress up, go ahead, want to go casual? Go right ahead too.

Why be bothered with what others are saying? :smile: