• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

6% GST in Malaysia in April 2015

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The impact on inflation and spending pattern in Malaysia will be quite large. The most recent case study in Japan is appended below, which is a rise of 3% (from 5-8%). Malaysia's tax will be an increase by 6% from Apr 2015 :eek:

Consumption tax rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Japan
Pre-2014: 5%
Apr 2014: 8%
Oct 2015: 10%

Impact

Japan consumer inflation rises 3.2% on-year in April after tax hike
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/japan-consumer-inflation/1128104.html

Japan consumer spending, factory output skid after sales tax hike
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/30/us-japan-economy-prices-idUSKBN0E92HE20140530

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I love inflation. Main reason why property price index keep going higher and higher.

OracleMasia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually, it rises more than the GST %. People take the opportunity to increase prices for higher using GST as excuse.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
The impact on inflation and spending pattern in Malaysia will be quite large. The most recent case study in Japan is appended below, which is a rise of 3% (from 5-8%). Malaysia's tax will be an increase by 6% from Apr 2015 :eek:

Consumption tax rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Japan
Pre-2014: 5%
Apr 2014: 8%
Oct 2015: 10%

Impact

Japan consumer inflation rises 3.2% on-year in April after tax hike
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/japan-consumer-inflation/1128104.html

Japan consumer spending, factory output skid after sales tax hike
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/30/us-japan-economy-prices-idUSKBN0E92HE20140530

Inflation is better than deflation, economy got stagnate without inflation.
Japan got deflation for a decade , now they try to create inflation by devalue the Yen , to boost GDP

M113tankee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The tuas customs checking Singapore cars for excess purchases for gst purpose. My friend just got check yesterday. Need to top up gst as he brought exceeding the allowed limit. Anyone else got it?

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it's only a recent push.
Think the Singapore govt is worried about the outflow of capital to Malaysia.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much will GST impact property prices?
Posted on June 2, 2014

BY FENNIE LIM

THE predictable announcement by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on Oct 25, 2013 that the Goods and Services Tax (GST) will take effect from April 1, 2015, bundled with several other measures will certainly have an impact on the property market.

Most property developers have started to feel the slowdown in their sales recently and I anticipate that the property market may need at least two years to digest and recover from the various cooling measures that came into effect from this January. After this, I believe that “water will find its own level”.

Nevertheless, the interest in properties by investors is undoubtedly maintained. Apart from the above factors which have caused a pause to investors’ inclination to invest, the other important driving factor is the concern on how GST will impact property prices moving forward.

To understand the effect that GST will have on real estate, it is worthwhile to review the prices of suppliers in the existing supply chain of real estate versus the expected prices moving forward, come April 1, 2015.

It is a given that with the introduction of GST for the first time in Malaysia, there are bound to be uncertainties. Nevertheless, the direction from the Government in treating residential properties as an “exempt supply” and non-residential properties as a “standard rate supply” with GST at 6%, is firm.

As a result, you may be surprised to hear that tax-exempt items such as residential properties will get more expensive even though they fall under exempt supplies.

The reality is that tax-exempt goods are only exempted from GST at the point of sale, that is when residential properties are sold by the developers.

The goods and services which are used by the developers in the making of these tax-exempt goods are not exempt from GST.

For example, residential property is tax-exempt but the materials such as marble, concrete, steel, roof tiles, bricks, sand, cement, wood, electricity and so on are not tax-exempt, which means that developers will almost certainly pass these cost increases to the consumers.

In this regard, I have done a quick simulation on how GST will impact property prices moving forward and have arrived at the following results for non-residential and residential properties.

The following summary of the simulation results is based on three different possible scenarios as follows:

(i) Assuming that the sub-contractor, main contractor as well as the property developer will maintain their original selling prices but will add on a 6% GST to arrive at their final selling price to their customers wherever GST is applicable;

(ii) Assuming that the sub-contractor, main contractor and the property developer will adjust their selling prices according to the actual costs incurred but retain the original profit margin percentage which they used to achieve.

14ux0yv.jpg

In addition to this, they will add on 6% GST to arrive at the final selling price to their customers wherever GST is applicable; and

(iii) Assuming that the sub-contractor, main contractor as well as the property developer will adjust their selling prices according to the actual costs incurred but retain the actual profit which they used to achieve (as opposed to profit margin in [ii] above).

In addition to this, they will add on 6% GST to arrive at their final selling price to their customers, wherever GST is applicable.

Based on the simulation above, you will note that, with the implementation of GST come April 1, 2015, the estimated final selling price of residential properties as well as non-residential properties will increase accordingly.

However, do note that the above simulation is done with the assumption that all the supply chain entities have the same mind-set when it comes to adjusting their prices according to the scenarios mentioned above. In the event of any party adopting a different approach, the percentage of increase in prices should be changed accordingly.

In a nutshell, given the above GST outcomes for the supply of residential and commercial properties, we can almost be sure that the chances of property prices coming down in the near future should be close to zero.

Hence, will it be worthwhile to invest now rather than later if the opportunities permit?

>> Fennie Lim heads the Crowe Horwath KL Tax Division and has been in the tax profession for the last 22 years. She has a wide range of experience in tax compliance, tax advisory and indirect taxes, and has advised many large local and multinational clients on complex tax engagements.

http://www.starproperty.my/index.php/articles/investment/how-much-will-gst-impact-property-prices-2/

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Compare to Singapore GST......

It started at 3% in 1994..... property market zoom up and crash in 1997-8 during Asia financial crisis.

2003 up to 4%
2004 up to 5%
2007 up to 7%

Price of property index in Singapore shoot up especially after 1997 when GST is at 7%.
Even Lehman brothers crisis did not affect the super bull run cause by high inflation in Singapore.

Investment became simple; to buy the bread now expecting flour to cost more than bread in future.

I foresee in 2020; there will be a lot of Johorians that will hate foreigners. Cost of living will be very high; and the government can simply blame the high cost on greedy investors like all of us here. This type of politic is been play all over the world. So no harm to be ahead of the game.

Simply go into a country that recommend a new tax system; buy and wait.

So now the same waiting game is on.......... which country is next on the list to introduce a Goods and Service Tax; I will be there to play.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought the consensus among people here is that the SG bull run in prop in the past 5-6 years is due to (1) fed QE leading to easy/ hot money flow into this region and (2) demand from increase in population which exceed (then) supply. It's not due to GST. opinions?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought the consensus among people here is that the SG bull run in prop in the past 5-6 years is due to (1) fed QE leading to easy/ hot money flow into this region and (2) demand from increase in population which exceed (then) supply. It's not due to GST. opinions?

Yes, I think the bull-run in SG was mainly due to mis-management of immigration and housing policies. GST boosts consumption 1-year before implementation and depresses consumption 1-year after. I expect to see run-up in property prices of another 5-10% from June this year to Apr next year.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If due to QE, why US property price index crash.....??

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I think the bull-run in SG was mainly due to mis-management of immigration and housing policies. GST boosts consumption 1-year before implementation and depresses consumption 1-year after. I expect to see run-up in property prices of another 5-10% from June this year to Apr next year.

For Johor, I expect the run-up to be more than 5-10% due to the twin effects of RTS announcement and GST implementation. My guess is around 12-15%.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
If due to QE, why US property price index crash.....??

US prop crash due to US economy down. because of this, Fed print a lot of money to boost the economy, in tandem with keeping interest rates low. since then, US has stabilized (prop have start to rise there). but a lot of the hot money also flow into this region. and what i heard is that it's a lot lot lot. in fact whatever US print, china just grab. this cheap credit + low interest environment boosted prop prices. coupled with sudden push in population (can see from the jams). cheap credit, low interest, a lot more people == property up.

that is roughly the layman story that i know.

i may be wrong. but here are some research links.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/01/economist-explains-7

read also the comments at the bottom. one is a quote from a forbes report about this region.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone can help to translate this into English? Saw this from another website. Thanks!

Pengekalan Had Harga Minima Perolehan Hartanah Oleh Kepentingan Asing Di Negeri Johor Bagi Project Pembangunan Hartanah Yang Mematuhi Syarat

Had harga minima RM500,000.00.... dikekalkan bagi projek pembangunan hartanah yang mematuhi syarat syarat berikut:
1. .... kelulusan kebenaran merancang... sebelum 01 Mei, 2014
2. condo... service apartment... ruang pejabat...

Pengekalan had hardga minima RM500,000.00... tidak berbentuk blanket approval kepada semua pemaju....

Timbalan Pengarah Tanah dan Galian Johor