• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should I move or not?

linus

Alfrescian
Loyal
House in East Ledang will be ready by this year. still contemplating as to whether I should itchy backside move or not? I guess my only concern is my child's education, as he will be entering P1 next year so need to decide soon. should I send them to Malaysia or Singapore school?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It depends whether your kid is Singaporean or Malaysian. Actually Singaporean kid can study in Msia public school or not? I think someone in this forum ever checked with the public (Chinese) school in HH vicinity before and the answer is cannot. If that is true, Sporean kid can only study in private international schools in JB and that will be more costly than study in Spore primary schools.

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
singapore has the top notch education system. why even bother to consider to send to msia school.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It depends whether your kid is Singaporean or Malaysian. Actually Singaporean kid can study in Msia public school or not? I think someone in this forum ever checked with the public (Chinese) school in HH vicinity before and the answer is cannot. If that is true, Sporean kid can only study in private international schools in JB and that will be more costly than study in Spore primary schools.

Who in the right mind send their child to any Malaysian public school ? Even the JB people are moving their child to school in woodlands for their studies.They are taking advantage of that.

There are school bus to FERRY your kids to school from jb to Singapore and vice versa. No one will go study international school unless you are filthy rich or you are on expat packages. Chances is that you aren't.

There's good schools in Woodlands too. I think the main concern is some one to take care of him or her when he comes back from school. The meals and the homework. MOE are developing after school care for busy parents too in the respective Primary school.. Call up the school at Woodlands, Sembawang or Yishun to check things out.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
House in East Ledang will be ready by this year. still contemplating as to whether I should itchy backside move or not? I guess my only concern is my child's education, as he will be entering P1 next year so need to decide soon. should I send them to Malaysia or Singapore school?

singapore school.

linus

Alfrescian
Loyal
child is a singaporean. malaysia goverment school is out of the question. either malaysia international school or singapore neighbourhood school in jurong. i have heard of school buses ferry kids from jb to singapore via woodland. how bout school buses from East Ledang to jurong via 2nd link?

if really troublesome, maybe i just stay put in singapore plenty of schools within 2km. no need to wake up so early.

linus

Alfrescian
Loyal
singapore has the top notch education system. why even bother to consider to send to msia school.

i believe international schools in msia are equally good but they are pricey and the kid may grow up less singaporean. only advantage studying in msia i guess is the convenient if we ever move to jb

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe international schools in msia are equally good but they are pricey and the kid may grow up less singaporean. only advantage studying in msia i guess is the convenient if we ever move to jb

no advantage.

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal

It wouldn't hurt been less Singaporean. Study in international schools are less stressful for the children and give them more of a free thinker. Less travel for the child as well. I assume you only have one. Why not try to visit Marlborough College. If thats out of the budget theres a few options in JB. I've send me 2 to Marlborough College. We are in the middle income family not filthy rich.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
International schools in JB might offer education comparable to the better schools in Singapore. I have yet to see their curriculum and education philosophy. However I believe the advantage is they provide more enriching lessons not set in Singapore's context, which helps the child to develop in a less stressful environment.

The other aspect of education is outside school, which many parents in Singapore missed out. They simply outsource to enrichment classes that unfortunately, mostly drill the child in scoring A and nothing else. In Singapore, everywhere is crowded and expensive. JB offers the space and lower cost opportunities to do things as a family together.

Most importantly, getting a good degree nowadays doesn't guarantee success, especially in Singapore's context, because the resources and opportunities are tightly controlled by government and a small group of wealthy people.

With a larger cohort going to be given the chance to get a degree, the value of the degree will drop (http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2...rtunities-in-singapores-university-sector.php). It is simply a matter of supply and demand. It is good to give the child something special that lets him/her stand out from the rest.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I said above is only applicable if you can afford international schools in JB. If not, Singapore schools are better as they are highly subsidised, which means staying put in Singapore for you.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It wouldn't hurt been less Singaporean. Study in international schools are less stressful for the children and give them more of a free thinker. Less travel for the child as well. I assume you only have one. Why not try to visit Marlborough College. If thats out of the budget theres a few options in JB. I've send me 2 to Marlborough College. We are in the middle income family not filthy rich.

There's a Fairview International School in JB which is not as pricey as Marlborough. It is about RM30k per annum.

linus

Alfrescian
Loyal
its not so much about affordability, its more like choosing a cab ride, one is a crysler and the other citycab. if citycab gets u to the destination safely why the need to pay more for crysler. the dollar save could be better use to perhaps buy an ice cream at the end of the journey. only issue here is crysler is available at your doorfront but for citycab one has wake up early to q. just my analogy
i fully agree with some of your views that international school are less stressful for the children, but then again a bit of stress is also good for them. Singapore schools are changing its approach n focusing less on academic making me wanting to stay back. moving to jb and school them in spore really defeat the whole purpose dont u think so?
my other option is to sell the property in east ledang hopefully with a bit of profit, forget the whole thing and continue to knock n bump into people in this crowded spore.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tony would have said, growing up to be less like a sinkie! That is an advantage!

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
its not so much about affordability, its more like choosing a cab ride, one is a crysler and the other citycab. if citycab gets u to the destination safely why the need to pay more for crysler. the dollar save could be better use to perhaps buy an ice cream at the end of the journey. only issue here is crysler is available at your doorfront but for citycab one has wake up early to q. just my analogy
i fully agree with some of your views that international school are less stressful for the children, but then again a bit of stress is also good for them. Singapore schools are changing its approach n focusing less on academic making me wanting to stay back. moving to jb and school them in spore really defeat the whole purpose dont u think so?
my other option is to sell the property in east ledang hopefully with a bit of profit, forget the whole thing and continue to knock n bump into people in this crowded spore.

How about Chrysler can give you what you pay for the services. With luxury comfort and a butler throw in.

I've got a child in Singapore public school as well. The way they teach is more like producing robots. Singapore school are top notch in academic not one going to argue with this fact and that's it. Unless everyone going to be a Scientist, accountant or any number counting jobs. They all will struggle with creative and free thinking jobs. We try to expose them to different fields more than just study.

I absolutely agree with you that no point of moving to JB if you still want them to attend Singapore public school. Good luck and all the best.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Below are 3 recent photos of Phase 4A Noble Park for you, Linus.

1471755_10152016833099667_164907779_n.jpg

1010405_10152016833044667_112698217_n.jpg

156981_10152016833214667_171079727_n.jpg

rosnyus

Alfrescian
Loyal

hi daydreamer,

possible to share the costs? my son is in P1 this year :smile: My goal is to be able to send him to malborough college in the near future as i think he is not suited for the regimented SG system

Last edited: