• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Allowed to Protest in Hong Lim Park!

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Just heard, now PM Lee says you can protest all you want in Hong Lim Park!

Just need to apply permission from National Parks instead of Police and you will be allowed to protest there!

But my question is, why not right in front of Parliament House but Hong Lim? Why Nationals Parks but not Police for licence? We will still need the police to make sure that the protest is orderly done what! Weird.

Goh Meng Seng

uuuiiiooo

ha!.... as if NPARKs will really start granting licenses for people to hold demonstrations at hong lim... .. really????? Did the police grant Chee SJ a license to speak at speaker's corner??? Anyone here expect NPARKS to do the same???
I wont be holding my breath..........

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But my question is, why not right in front of Parliament House but Hong Lim? Why Nationals Parks but not Police for licence? We will still need the police to make sure that the protest is orderly done what! Weird.Goh Meng Seng

Dear Goh Meng Seng,

Welcome to the new sammyboy.com forum.

The "concession" for protest at hong lim park is pathetic.

The govt should realize that Singaporeans are granted freedom of assembly and expression under Article 14 of Part 4 of the constitution.

The govt shows disrespect for our constitution by willfully enacting subsidiary legislation that takes away our constitutional rights, and by using the state machinery of the police and judiciary to punish peaceful protesters.

The "concession" for hong lim park protests are no concession at all if you realize that our fundamental freedoms are still being taken away.

It is not the job of the govt to decide where and when Singaporeans should be granted civil liberties and fundamental freedoms. Those are enshrined in our constitution, applying to all citizens at all times and at all places.

It is the job of govt to promote lawfulness by active cooperation with peaceful protesters, not to use the machinery of the state to silence dissent under the guise of promoting lawfulness.

E-Jay

nanana1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just need to apply permission from National Parks instead of Police and you will be allowed to protest there!

But my question is, why not right in front of Parliament House but Hong Lim? Why Nationals Parks but not Police for licence? We will still need the police to make sure that the protest is orderly done what! Weird.

Goh Meng Seng

If it were in front of Parliament House, I would ask why in front of Parliament House and not Hong Lim Park, where do we end :confused:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

obviously taking it out of the hands of the Police makes it more receptive to some people. aiyah, got chance to protest go ahead loh.

obviously this measure is to neuter Some Demonstrating People

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS

1. For those who want an absolute right of unfettered and unhindered protest, Hong Lim Park will never be enough and civil disobedience continues.

2. Ok with a legal albeit limited avenue for protest, how many of the twenty would want to go to jail for an unhindered right. Further more how would Singaporean's view Singaporean's protesting illegally because the legal means is insufficient.

3. Will protest cease to be a novelty ? Same old argument about an illegal act losing its kick because it has become legal.

4. What issues will Singaporean's protest about ? Tak Boleh Tahan is definitely in my view a good start, thought attempts to link Tak Boleh Tahan to everything from inflation to MM and political rights is in my view insanely stupid

Locke

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have to see if Sporeans are purely closet complainers when opportunity is given to them to demonstrate openly.

I wonder if the opposition party will start the ball rolling.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
First of all, Hong Lim Park is too remote. Secondly.Parliament House is supposed to be the centre of Singapore politics whereby all policies are being passed there.

Goh Meng Seng

If it were in front of Parliament House, I would ask why in front of Parliament House and not Hong Lim Park, where do we end :confused:

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
First of all, Hong Lim Park is too remote. Secondly.Parliament House is supposed to be the centre of Singapore politics whereby all policies are being passed there.

Goh Meng Seng

Why not in front of LHL house since he will decide if the policy is to be executed? If not we can try SML house.

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think still have to apply for permit to demostrate just like speaking in Hong Lim Park.
maybe those runners from PA or NTUC will apply to do one,so that they can show the people that they do not always agreed and side with the government.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't bonk you also cannot.

1. Either you're insane or disorientated. Remote? Hong Lim Park is hardly 1km away from Parliament, right in the heart of CBD.

2. If you're so keen about protesting at Parliament, why not join SDP? They did that.

3. Don't ask me. I'm not keen about protesting, whether at Parliament, Hong Lim or HK.

Last edited:

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

the pap only say it because they know 99% of sgporeans dare not protest openly, only open mouth and sabo others to do it on their behalf...

beng

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
The good news. The pro-active SDP may be able to attract hundreds if not thousands of protestors. Unfortunately, it will be shut down soon.

The bad news. WP/NSP/SPP will look increasingly irrelevant, lethargic and outdated.

Now, RP may be interesting to watch.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why not in front of LHL house since he will decide if the policy is to be executed? If not we can try SML house.

Why not in front of LKYs house?

Its more central & accessible, can either stop at Dhoby Ghaut or Somerset MRT stations & walk to his home. Can take time from ones lunch break to protest & afterwards go shopping.

Don't forget cars are not allowed on that road in front of the old man's home. Probably no free parking allowed.

Must shout loud, loud, he is quite deaf.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

It will be interesting to see if any of them - police, NParks and so on -would have the guts to issue a licence. This sounds like a hollow show by our PM. If in future S'pore is accused of stifling political discussion and citizens' rights, our Govt can shrug their shoulders and say "hey, that's not true, they have the right to protest, but if they didnt get the go-ahead, it's not my fault".

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
useless lah. u apply to nparks for permission, nparks call pap police for advise. police say dun allow, nparks reject your application. LPPL