• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Unfair Treatment to Old Employees

Foursome

In the years, we have seen old employees losing out when new bloods comes to the organization. They will struggle to cling on their employment and the society seem treating them unfairly.

Some organization feels old employees are too costly and productive are low. With the same amount, they could employ a degree holder that could out-perform the old employee and product sound results.

In foreign country like UK, Swiss and some others, these old employees are treasure. They are solid experience and knowledge that could mentor the junior.

Just don't understand how Singapore works!!!!:mad:

Jade Rabbit

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair some old employees do seem to be more trouble. I have 3 old timers in my company 2 of them are okay and very serious about their work but the 3rd...needless to say boss favourite never do much work always create trouble but boss sides and protects him. In fact the other 2 old timers also cannot get along with him!

Happy2004

Indeed some old timers are more troubled but there are also some that don't care. They just do their part and don't accept new task. They report punctually and so do they leave punctually. At time the management really got big headache with this kind of people.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair some old employees do seem to be more trouble. I have 3 old timers in my company 2 of them are okay and very serious about their work but the 3rd...needless to say boss favourite never do much work always create trouble but boss sides and protects him. In fact the other 2 old timers also cannot get along with him!

My previous American company being a very good Employer also has its down fall, what happened they have too many heavy weighs, Managers, Regional Managers that flys all over the world but not productive at all, and the Employer still think they a Pot Of Gold. IMHO They should be sacked long time ago.

They are what I called Toa Pek Kong, or Chief Sitting Bull!! High salary, some time sitting the office whole day looking and surfing internet. Unfortunately the lower runk were retrenched!! That's why this Fortune 500 company from the US today are smaller than some PRC company in China.

For being too complacent! Too many Chief Sitting Bull!!

Jade Rabbit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed some old timers are more troubled but there are also some that don't care. They just do their part and don't accept new task. They report punctually and so do they leave punctually. At time the management really got big headache with this kind of people.

Usually these old timers either Collecting or collected CPF so just doing the job to earn coffee money. But luckily those 2 old timers can really work so 2 out of 3 not so bad.

Happy2004

Usually these old timers either Collecting or collected CPF so just doing the job to earn coffee money. But luckily those 2 old timers can really work so 2 out of 3 not so bad.

Possible. Anyway since that only old timers is boss's pet, nothing much can be done unless change boss. HaHa :wink:

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes i find that the old people, being too long in the company gets very complacent. They will not do anything drastic to rock the boat, and perhaps ruin their retirement in a couple of years time.

But these are not organisation stardard though... some of the older folks i know has been very good driving forces in some of the companies i worked with before.

All in all, i think if the older folks don't contribute, i have no qualms replacing them with newbies, new mindset and new driving forces.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being an old bird doesn't directly translated into being productive. It's all depends on their mindset and attitude towards work.:wink:

2Cheong

Alfrescian
Loyal
..Some organization feels old employees are too costly and productive are low. With the same amount, they could employ a degree holder that could out-perform the old employee and product sound results.....

Bro Foursome, I assume you are talking about the old staff that is still contributing steadily just to cling on to the job, yes, I do observe many companies just feel that new blodd is better.

On the other hand, you have the old stuff that works as if he is the founder of the company refused to change and new stuff have to bend for this stubborn principle, in that case should the company not react they will also force out of business very soon.:eek:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In the years, we have seen old employees losing out when new bloods comes to the organization. They will struggle to cling on their employment and the society seem treating them unfairly.

Some organization feels old employees are too costly and productive are low. With the same amount, they could employ a degree holder that could out-perform the old employee and product sound results.

In foreign country like UK, Swiss and some others, these old employees are treasure. They are solid experience and knowledge that could mentor the junior.

Just don't understand how Singapore works!!!!:mad:

Gos, i think there must be something wrong with the old pple.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

My experience has lead me to believe that older employees are pretty useless.

"Experience" means nothing in this day and age. Technology, organisation structure and communication methods are in a constant state of flux. Things can change completely in 6 months.

I spent many years of my life between the late 80s and mid 90s getting rid of deadwood . Take one of the managers that I inherited as an example. He was old school and was in his early 50s. His job was to manage the equipment calibration section.

Try as I may, I could not convince the old fart to computerise the section. He handwrote everything into a book instead of using a lotus 1,2,3 (hot software at the time) program that was tailored to the job. :eek:

He claimed that his exercise book with ruler drawn pencil lines was better than any computer and that his "experience" told him that this was the best way of keeping track of things.:confused:

I sent him to attend lotus programming classes and he came back just as useless and even more stubborn that HIS way was superior.:mad:

I fired him the following week and hired a poly grad to take his place. The system was computerised in less than a month!:biggrin: I was overjoyed and was kicking myself for not firing that stupid old man the very day I joined the company.

The only reason why old farts are still working in the countries you mention is because of the risk of an employment law dispute. If Singapore companies were subject to the same employment laws that are imposed upon employers in Sweden, Switzerland the UK etc, the whole country would have closed shop a long time ago.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
the older one is, the harder it is for one to change. but Sam's story is a warning to all of us to be flexible and amenable to changes when we grow older.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
the older one is, the harder it is for one to change. but Sam's story is a warning to all of us to be flexible and amenable to changes when we grow older.

Old people can't change. That's just a simple fact of life. By the time people reach their mid 40s, they are set in their ways. Even brilliant minds did their best work when they were young.. eg Einstein, Newton.

I'm now a stupid old fart myself. The difference is that I know how useless I am so I don't even try to pretend that I can match the drive and creativity of a person half my age.

Nobody should work in an organisation beyond the age of 55. It's not fair to the rest of the employees who have to put up with the cranky, stubborn old men and their dinosaur mentalities.

If it wasn't for vbulletin software, this forum would still look like a basic guestbook. That's how backward I am when it comes to web design.:biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The best example of bumbling old fart that is way past his time... LKY:smile:

WOOHOO

Alfrescian
Loyal
I handle quite a number of senior citizens working with me and may I tell you not all of them are that bad. Some are actually quite flexible but some really very stubborn and totally lazy!!! In the working world there are always good and bad ppl some rotten apples really just spoil the whole market sigh....what to do. Really dun hope to work till 80 myself and hopefulle I can save enough to retire early^^

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Old people can't change. That's just a simple fact of life. By the time people reach their mid 40s, they are set in their ways. Even brilliant minds did their best work when they were young.. eg Einstein, Newton.

I'm now a stupid old fart myself. The difference is that I know how useless I am so I don't even try to pretend that I can match the drive and creativity of a person half my age.

Nobody should work in an organisation beyond the age of 55. It's not fair to the rest of the employees who have to put up with the cranky, stubborn old men and their dinosaur mentalities.

If it wasn't for vbulletin software, this forum would still look like a basic guestbook. That's how backward I am when it comes to web design.:biggrin:

I guess staying out of sg will allow a person to have a balance view in things.

Last edited: