• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buying a Car Down Under. Beware the Hidden Taxes

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.kotsemo.com/Www/Extra/News/?newsID=223

The hidden taxes on your new car

Every time Porsche sells a new 911 Turbo in Australia, the tax man makes enough money to buy five Toyota Corollas.

That’s the startling truth about Australia’s tax regime as it applies to motor vehicles.

Taxes on new cars range from 9 per cent for Australian made vehicles to 36 per cent for the most expensive imports.

A third of the price of a new Rolls-Royce Phantom, or a staggering $300,805, goes into the government’s coffers. And that figure will rise even further when the Government lifts the luxury tax on vehicles that cost more than $57,123 from 25 to 33 per cent.

In the wake of the latest slug on car buyers, Drive has calculated the various taxes paid on 10 cars sold in Australia’s, ranging from the Hyundai Getz and Holden Commodore to the 911 Turbo and Rolls-Royce Phantom – and the results aren’t pretty.

Drive can’t tell you exactly how much import duty you pay because the 10 per cent tariff is paid on the wholesale price of the car, before the manufacturer and dealer add their profit margins.

Car companies won’t reveal how much import duty they pay because it would allow their competitors to estimate their profit margins.

So for the purpose of our table, we’ve estimated a 10 per cent profit for both the dealer and manufacturer.

The chief executive of the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industry, Andrew McKellar, says Australia is “right up there” when it comes to taxing car buyers.

“The luxury tax in particular is far higher than any similar tax anywhere in the world,” he says.

The differences are most notable in luxury imports. For example, a Porsche 911 that costs more than $200,000 in Australia sells for less than $75,000 in the United States. Holden’s own Commodore SS, which sells for $45,290 here, costs roughly $32,000 in the States.

Australian motorists can potentially pay up to five taxes or duties when they buy a new car.

Import duty is charged when a vehicle arrives on Australian shores, then GST and luxury car taxes are levied, before stamp duty and registration fees take another slice of the pie.

“The tax burden on motorists is already substantial and the increase in luxury tax is simply a punitive measure on top of that,” he says.

He says the tax regime now hits luxury buyers three times during the sale process. Apart from the luxury tax, they also pay more GST by virtue of their car’s higher purchase price.

Then once the sale goes through, they pay a higher percentage of the sale price in stamp duty because the rate is based on a sliding scale, where the tax rate increases in most states at $30,000 and $45,000.

On a Porsche 911 turbo, the GST payable is $25,732, the luxury tax is $51,348 and the stamp duty totals $15,820. Add to that an estimated import duty of more than $20,000 and you come up with a total tax burden that is approaching the cost of a new Porsche Boxster.

The taxes payable on a Toyota LandCruiser would buy a new Toyota Yaris, while the tax on a BMW 5-Series would pay for a Volkswagen Golf.

McKellar says the other injustice is the fact that many cars that were never intended to be caught in the luxury tax net are now affected because the level at which the tax cuts in has not been adjusted in line with inflation.

“There hasn’t been any decent increase in the luxury tax threshold in the past four or five years. It hasn’t kept pace with the changes in the industry. Whatever happened to the good old Aussie notion of a fair go,” he says.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
My bimmer still 2.5 times cheapr then sg, no luxury car tax (under 50k), so what's your problem?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
My bimmer still 2.5 times cheapr then sg, no luxury car tax (under 50k), so what's your problem?

You were cheated. You can buy 2 Brand New BMWs/Mercs in the US for every one in Australia.

We also know Singapore prices are not far from Australian prices given the recent increase in luxury car tax down under.

People wishing to migrate and own a nice car can be assured much of the money going to purchase a luxury car will go to the government coffers,just like Singapore.

Or they can migrate to the US and own many luxury cars for the cheapest price.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You were cheated. You can buy 2 Brand New BMWs/Mercs in the US for every one in Australia.

We also know Singapore prices are not far from Australian prices given the recent increase in luxury car tax down under.

People wishing to migrate and own a nice car can be assured much of the money going to purchase a luxury car will go to the government coffers,just like Singapore.

Or they can migrate to the US and own many luxury cars for the cheapest price.

You are only cheated if you are able to buy the same product for a much lower cost in the same country. My Merc is registered in QLD for the same reason.

I am happy with my Merc, complete with usable free gifts, TomTom upgrades and good servicing advice regularly. :smile:

I would rather see my money going into a government whom I can check on, rather than a govt which jail people for asking too much about what happened to their own hard-earned money. :biggrin:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are only cheated if you are able to buy the same product for a much lower cost in the same country. My Merc is registered in QLD for the same reason.

I am happy with my Merc, complete with usable free gifts, TomTom upgrades and good servicing advice regularly. :smile:

I would rather see my money going into a government whom I can check on, rather than a govt which jail people for asking too much about what happened to their own hard-earned money. :biggrin:

"Would rather see money going to a Govt i can check on" is another way of saying its ok to pay the Australia government massive taxes on a car just like Singapore does.

And the USA does not do such things, truly a quitter's paradise. Big cheap houses, Lots of cheap cars, cheap food, all are in the US but not in Australia.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Would rather see money going to a Govt i can check on" is another way of saying its ok to pay the Australia government massive taxes on a car just like Singapore does.

And the USA does not do such things, truly a quitter's paradise. Big cheap houses, Lots of cheap cars, cheap food, all are in the US but not in Australia.

In a way, it is true, provided the quitter has already got lots of money and is able to afford the US medical cost. Why not.

Looking at the bigger picture, Australia has a small population supporting a continent, and it has a much larger middle-class population than the US.

So, my view is always ~ if a quitter stick to a middle-class lifestyle, no worries. Aussie will give you that.

As you suggest, if a quitter want to feel rich, go USA and buy up all the cheap rich toys.

In 2003, there is a article published by the Harvard Univ.

Middle-class income doesn't buy middle-class lifestyle
HLS professor sounds an alarm to families: One in seven will go bankrupt

By Beth Potier
Harvard News Office

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/10.30/19-bankruptcy.html

cestycesty

Alfrescian
Loyal
well... look at where USA is now? dragging hte whole world down a whirlpool it created. and the damn buy america polices... this tell us how much the americans are.. dumb and dumber.... they created the whole illusion on how good and wonderful they are but tey are nothing but crap.. save yourselves.. lol

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a way, it is true, provided the quitter has already got lots of money and is able to afford the US medical cost. Why not.

Looking at the bigger picture, Australia has a small population supporting a continent, and it has a much larger middle-class population than the US.

So, my view is always ~ if a quitter stick to a middle-class lifestyle, no worries. Aussie will give you that.

As you suggest, if a quitter want to feel rich, go USA and buy up all the cheap rich toys.

In 2003, there is a article published by the Harvard Univ.

Middle-class income doesn't buy middle-class lifestyle
HLS professor sounds an alarm to families: One in seven will go bankrupt

By Beth Potier
Harvard News Office

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/10.30/19-bankruptcy.html

Ah health care is it? Typical PAP tactic try to deflect the subject matter of super high taxes in Australia and expensive cars that approach Singapore prices.

Wont work. Health care in the US is becoming free.....

And so Obama's free health care system in the US begins. How lucky for all Americans they will see enjoy free health care while paying very low taxes.Too bad Australia with its super high taxation cant compete.....and how good it is for migration.......

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june09/othernews_02-04.html

Other News: Senate Debates Stimulus, Obama Signs Child Health Care Bill

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah health care is it? Typical PAP tactic try to deflect the subject matter of super high taxes in Australia and expensive cars that approach Singapore prices.

And so Obama's free health care system in the US begins. How lucky for all Americans they will see enjoy free health care while paying very low taxes.Too bad Australia with its super high taxation cant compete.....and how good it is for migration.......

If you want to talk about PAP tactics - the low tax and cheap stuff are what they drumed into you. You are smart enough to figure that out right. :biggrin:

PAP has more reason to worry about Australia. High tax and expensive cars are fear-mongering PAP tactics. I am sure you are also smart enough not to fall for that right. :biggrin:

A Honda Civic 1.8l 2009 model is $24k all taxes in. Whether that is reasonable depending on your reasoning power. I am sure you are smart enough to know what is cheap in comparison with Aussie wages. :wink:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

About USA,

Americans treat "high" taxes as taboo, it is no wonder California state govt would rather go bankrupt then ask the people to pay more tax.

Why do you think the Republicans are not backing Obama on the health program - it is not even a universal access public health program which Canada and Australia has. It is just basic healthcare for a targetted group of people. Who is funding this program? taxpayers.
Where do you think governments get money to fund their programs? taxpayers

Ever wonder why No wonder no one bother to reply you, other than your other nicks.

My humble opinion is that your basis of comparison (not you, just your comparison skills) is flawed and may even rest on the point of retardness. Your acknowledgement of this flaw rest with your previous actions. Everytime you put in an infraction, it just prove something about you that you may deny (state of denial). :wink:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
About USA,

Americans treat "high" taxes as taboo, it is no wonder California state govt would rather go bankrupt then ask the people to pay more tax.

Why do you think the Republicans are not backing Obama on the health program - it is not even a universal access public health program which Canada and Australia has. It is just basic healthcare for a targetted group of people. Who is funding this program? taxpayers.

Ever wonder why No wonder no one bother to reply you, other than your other nicks.

My humble opinion is that your basis of comparison (not you, just your comparison skills) is flawed and may even rest on the point of retardness. Your acknowledgement of this flaw rest with your previous actions. Everytime you put in an infraction, it just prove something about you that you may deny (state of denial). :wink:

Instead of deflecting the question, why dont you just answer the question? Why are taxes so high in Australia? And why do you always resort to insults, and such outdated PAP tactics?

And yes, Republicans dont want high taxes. No they dont have control of the house nor the Senate, Obama does.

And what does this have to do with the horrendous sky high taxes of cars in Australia? Its like speaking to a PAP drone.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Instead of deflecting the question, why dont you just answer the question? Why are taxes so high in Australia? And why do you always resort to insults, and such outdated PAP tactics?

And yes, Republicans dont want high taxes. No they dont have control of the house nor the Senate, Obama does.

And what does this have to do with the horrendous sky high taxes of cars in Australia? Its like speaking to a PAP drone.

Since when did I deflect the question? :biggrin:

High tax is a relative term. How do you define low tax, how low is low. Does Singapore has low tax or Saudi Arabia has low tax? :rolleyes:

Anyway, how do you define tax-free?

If USA is so good, you should have join the quitters there. :biggrin:

But at the end of the day, you are an Aussie Prick, so I know what you are after.

Only people who are guilty will think of my posts as insults. And if they are insults to you, then it is a reflection on your line of questionings, isn't it. It is YOUR PROBLEM, NOT MINE.

Again, a PAP drone does not "insult". Watch your own words. Full of contradictions. Perhaps, that explains why you got ignored. :biggrin:

Errr..h have a good life. :biggrin:
:biggrin:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since when did I deflect the question? :biggrin:

High tax is a relative term. How do you define low tax, how low is low. Does Singapore has low tax or Saudi Arabia has low tax? :rolleyes:

Anyway, how do you define tax-free?

If USA is so good, you should have join the quitters there. :biggrin:

But at the end of the day, you are an Aussie Prick, so I know what you are after.

Only people who are guilty will think of my posts as insults. And if they are insults to you, then it is a reflection on your line of questionings, isn't it. It is YOUR PROBLEM, NOT MINE.

Again, a PAP drone does not "insult". Watch your own words. Full of contradictions. Perhaps, that explains why you got ignored. :biggrin:

Errr..h have a good life. :biggrin:

This thread is dedicated to car taxes. Notice I have not pointed out the recent increase in the luxury car tax passed in Sept 2008 in Australia.

Its not good for quitter Singaporeans wishing to buy big ticket items such as a big car they could not otherwise afford in Singapore. If the same thing is vastly cheaper in the US or even Canada, it makes Australia look bad. If the same car is "buy one get one free" this means something to money minded Singaporeans.

And if you feel cheated by Australia repressive tax policies, then its YOUR PROBLEM, not ours. You made the mistake of migrating to a second class nation. Seeing your anger is understandable, switching from being a slave of Singapore to a Slave of the repressive Australian Tax/Police state. Well,at least in Australia the sky is blue, and elections are open and free. But everything else is just like Singapore.

Remember in Australia they need you more than you need them

Its not the case in America.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
images

This thread is dedicated to car taxes. Notice I have not pointed out the recent increase in the luxury car tax passed in Sept 2008 in Australia.
:biggrin: Thank goodness there is a Luxury Car Tax. Otherwise, any Tom, Dickhead, Harry Lee can cheapen the Merc brand which is what happened in USA :biggrin:

Its not good for quitter Singaporeans wishing to buy big ticket items such as a big car they could not otherwise afford in Singapore. If the same thing is vastly cheaper in the US or even Canada, it makes Australia look bad. If the same car is "buy one get one free" this means something to money minded Singaporeans.
:biggrin: $-minded Singaporeans can join the Singapore Prick Club :biggrin:

And if you feel cheated by Australia repressive tax policies, then its YOUR PROBLEM, not ours. You made the mistake of migrating to a second class nation. Seeing your anger is understandable, switching from being a slave of Singapore to a Slave of the repressive Australian Tax/Police state. Well,at least in Australia the sky is blue, and elections are open and free. But everything else is just like Singapore.
:biggrin: Australia - sky - election = Singapore :biggrin:

Remember in Australia they need you more than you need them
:biggrin: Same for every country that has a government :biggrin:

Its not the case in America
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Actually, I don't know what you are trying to say. It is a storm in a teacup.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
images

Actually, I don't know what you are trying to say. It is a storm in a teacup.

Your missives wont lower the super high taxes in Australia. You might want to write to your former PM and PAP mentor, GCT and inform him the term "Quitter" can no longer be applied to Australia in 2009, and he is not to worry about Singaporeans wishing to buy "Big Cars and Houses for cheaper Prices" as Australia has become almost as expensive as Singapore. He still has to worry about other Singaporean Migration Destinations though.......Big Houses and Cheap Big Cars still exist for Migrants in more superior countries........

Poor Tom, Dick and Harry in Australia. They just dont get a fair deal. Expensive Laptops, Luxury Cars, LCD TVs, expensive mobile phone service, expensive food, airfare, most unaffordable housing in the West........taxes.........racism............ endless list.

Whereas Tom, Dick and Harry in the USA looks like this :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::

Where is my off topic rebuttal thread? What will you come up with this time?

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
About USA,

i dont know why you would say california dosent have high taxes, state income taxes reach 9%++ over there in addition to federal tax and all kinds of nonsense. When i was in NYC, i paid federal, state, city , Fica tax=total 42%++++:mad:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dont know why you would say california dosent have high taxes, state income taxes reach 9%++ over there in addition to federal tax and all kinds of nonsense. When i was in NYC, i paid federal, state, city , Fica tax=total 42%++++:mad:

Not all states have income taxes, and they are fully tax deductible at the Federal Level, lowering tax liability so a 9% max tax in California can never be a compounded tax on top of Federal. Adding Payroll taxes? GST too? You do realize they too are deducted on W-2s and are not TAXABLE WAGES TO BE ENTERED ON LINE 7 of a 1040?

My god, then Australian or UK taxes would reach 70% under your computation method!

People like you should learn to read.

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not all states have income taxes, and they are fully tax deductible at the Federal Level, lowering tax liability so a 9% max tax in California can never be a compounded tax on top of Federal. Adding Payroll taxes? GST too? You do realize they too are deducted on W-2s and are not TAXABLE WAGES TO BE ENTERED ON LINE 7 of a 1040?

My god, then Australian or UK taxes would reach 70% under your computation method!

People like you should learn to read.

oh i finally see why after all the deductions you still dont pay as high a tax rate as i do.

are you working as a toilet attendant?