• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nur Dianah's Article & the Big Guns of Humanity

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By now, people would have read and seen the article by SPH Journalist Nur Dianah of last week. Its indeed a landmark article in the history of the nation.

Not surprised that Kanwaljit Soin and Tommy Koh, some of the big guns of humanity have supported her views.

On the hand, read the kiss ass article by the News Editor of Berita Harian Saat Rahman. The word grovel takes second place.

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?t=1196&highlight=dianah

Last edited:

xdecepticon

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the hand, read the kiss ass article by the New Editor of Berita Harian Saat Rahman. The word grovel takes second place.

Today Sundaytimes, pg 29, under the topic "My race has never been an issue" by news editor of MALAY daily BH, Saat Rahman...last two para...

Quote "This month alone, I have two friends who asked me to help them find jobs.They are having trouble because of the tough competition. Both of them are highly educated and both are Chinese" Unquote

Not being racist here but cant help wondering y would a CHINESE seek help fm this Asshole, whos neither an editor fm Chinese nor English daily?? :rolleyes:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Uncle Toms" appear to be ever ready to serve the 'cause' because of patronage and largesse. I am sure Yaacob and gang must have had a particularly interesting time at the mosque last Friday.

To me this was one of the more enlightening comments:

"Being critical of the Malays is not racism but judging a person based on racial stereotypes is. While Singapore extols fairness and equality and has done much to reduce racism, it still exists and will continue to do so. Why? Because of the inherent nature of human beings. We have our flaws after all, and prejudice, sadly, is one of them. If we really cannot eliminate it, what we can do is to minimise it as much as possible."
Natasha Majeed

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Her words ringing from the heart ask not for affirmative action but "true" and not "token " recognition". Her call is for the Malays to be equally represented and recognized amongst the top echelon's of society, both in politics and in business and for their achievements to be celebrated by all races and noted by all leaders. Her call is for that invisible glass ceiling to be broken and broken now.

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Her words ringing from the heart ask not for affirmative action but "true" and not "token " recognition". Her call is for the Malays to be equally represented and recognized amongst the top echelon's of society, both in politics and in business and for their achievements to be celebrated by all races and noted by all leaders. Her call is for that invisible glass ceiling to be broken and broken now.
Locke

Yes, yes, yes.......................... Hope we can all lay our cards on the table and work towards a common goal.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today Sundaytimes, pg 29, under the topic "My race has never been an issue" by news editor of MALAY daily BH, Saat Rahman...last two para...

Quote "This month alone, I have two friends who asked me to help them find jobs.They are having trouble because of the tough competition. Both of them are highly educated and both are Chinese" Unquote

Not being racist here but cant help wondering y would a CHINESE seek help fm this Asshole, whos neither an editor fm Chinese nor English daily?? :rolleyes:
Not many people are aware that both the Chinese and Malay papers are controlled at far greater extent than the english versions.

This prick in that statement has put the following "This month alone" suggesting that every month or so, there is a lineup for his help.

His boss, the Editor of Berita Harian is a PAP cadre member and their predecessor is an MP and Minister of State. Now you know why people queue for dispensation of help.

Unfortunately it is not appropriate statement and discretion is obviously not his strong point.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
We can all talk until the cows come home, but for all those who have a problem with the system, unless you can defeat the guns of reality pointing at you from all directions; local or global, you can sing the blues all you want. Nothing can change without making changes from within yourself. If not, live with it.

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
By now, people would have read and seen the article by SPH Journalist Nur Dianah of last week. Its indeed a landmark article in the history of the nation ... ... .... On the hand, read the kiss ass article by the News Editor of Berita Harian Saat Rahman. The word grovel takes second place.

A truly great article written by a person who is in the thick of it all.

Bigotry and intolerance cannot be legislated away, the population has to choose from their own conscience to rise above it.

This issue strikes at the very heart of what is wrong with the PAP's overall approach to governance.

The PAP thinks that it can legislate away problems and resolve issues by either throwing money at it or coming down hard with the police, the courts, and the machinery of the civil service.

But in reality the problem only goes underground.

We have bloggers going to jail for carelessly insulting other races, yet HDB quotas regularly discriminate against races under the guise of population distribution management. The hypocrisy is blatant, obvious, and criminal.

Medieval attitudes towards different races exist even in 21st century Singapore because even though the PAP buries intolerance under its harsh laws, it reinforcing cultural stereotypes through its flawed policies.

Our outward show of harmony towards race and religion has not yet translated into true inclusiveness.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her call is for that invisible glass ceiling to be broken and broken now.

I am sorry? Which glass ceiling?

The one for women?
The one for gays?
The one for ugly people?
The one for fat people?
The one for disabled?
The one for non-scholars?

There are a lot of grievances in this society and I seriously cannot understand the whole fuss about it? Wat does the girl want?

Top representation in the armed forces? Can.
Top rungs in commercial entities? Can.

Will that make Chinese less racist? No.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Shout

For recognition of the contribution of Malay's to the progress of Singapore in areas apart from the police, sepak takraw or soccer. Honestly from what I read, it really does not take that much in terms of media and political management.

1. A Malay General or Admiral or Police Comissioner would be nice
2. A Malay Minister of something substantive would be nicer
3. A Malay CEO of a GLC.

Thats all it is going to take. It is all about acceptance at large by society with the example set from the very top. Will it destroy all prejudices and racism overnite nope, but it is a heck of a start.

cheers

Locke

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Ejay

Firstly whether you reply is besides the point as I deem it fit to point out the flaws in your argument. Racism and Intolerance can never be legislated or solved with by throwing money. It will never be eradicated or totally removed even in the most liberal of democracies. That said and done, even in the UK and the US which are bastion's of free speech and liberalism, there are hate laws against "hate" "speech" or for example against the "denial of the holocaust."

I have never doubted the PAP's political motives in forced segregation so as to removed pockets of concentrated racial based votes. I would also add that for those who have seen the UK and seen how allowing british communities to congregate together has lessened British Muslim Integration in society as a whole. Forced integration is definitely the lesser of the two evils and helps create a far more tolerant color blind society. Are we perfect ? Not by a long shot but I believe that if there was no "forced" living together things would be a lot lot worse.

A wise person once said. " the more we know about the other person/race, the more we hate the other person." The PAP in trying perhaps to bury intolerance by forcing races to live together has also in some ways forced greater integration in society. Whether that was ever a aim is besides the point, it has helped in many a ways however imperfect the policy. We are in many ways far from true inclusiveness but I do not believe the removal of some policies which u decry will help as well.

Locke

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
3. A Malay CEO of a GLC.

Locke

1. Will be tough but maybe the SCDF?
2. Thot always have one Malay Minister
3. Should be easy enough.

But the fact remains is with the exception of 1, is the current status of 2 & 3 discrimination or a sign of the lack of progress of the group? After all, we saw that more Malay girls are better educated than the guys.

Sometimes, it is a cultural thing. It can be cultural to not be too academically successful. There has been many studies of American blacks who did well academically being bullied by the rest cos these good students are deemed "trying to be white."

I have healthy respect for all races. I believe at the end of the day, there is no such thing as a more genetically gifted racial group. However, cultural and historical background can make a lot of differences. The Malay history is relatively short when their society is fast-tracked into the industrial age by the British. This is a controversial issue.

I know many Malays but I dun have Malay friends. One reason is that I have not been working in companies for many years and there is little chance for me to interact with Malays. I dun have Malay neighbours as well but I do remember the friendliness of the Malay guys in my class during school days and National Service.

I wish everyone well but I am still not sure the reason for that article.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Shout

For recognition of the contribution of Malay's to the progress of Singapore in areas apart from the police, sepak takraw or soccer. Honestly from what I read, it really does not take that much in terms of media and political management.

3. A Malay CEO of a GLC.

Thats all it is going to take. It is all about acceptance at large by society with the example set from the very top. Will it destroy all prejudices and racism overnite nope, but it is a heck of a start.

cheers

Locke

So are we talking for a start, some sort of mini affirmative action, bumiputra policy here? I remember SM Goh's words or something to that effect, in reaction to the tudung controversy some years back, " If we give them that,
what will they ask for next?" The chief protagonist of that incident was in trouble with the law recently, over a criminal breach of trust case wasn't he?
Anyone who can recall my posts will know that I am no PAP stooge. But sometimes when things need to be said, someone should be brave enough to come out and say it. I'm sure if anyone comes to us for a handout when we can see that he obviously is more than capable of helping himself, the first words that come to mind must be "There's no free lunch", wouldn't it?
Asians emigrants all over the world had shown us that to succeed, never expect any help from the host country other than a PR card. It's all about 18 hr days, 7 days a week and education for their children. Tellingly, certain groups chose to withdraw themselves away from mainstream society. They are the ones who will always cry discrimination. So who is the villain here?
Of course the Malays are not immigrants. this is their ancestral land. I'm just using emigrants of Chinese,Indian, Koreans ancestry to illustrate my point that being a minority, you just have to work that much harder.And don't forget, many among the majority are not having it any easier.
There are many things to be made right for the Malay community. But to mollycoddle would be a great disaster, disservice and an insult to their pride and self esteem, or am I wrong here? Nothing will ever beat standing up tall with your head held up high and having the approving nods of respect and admiration from your peers especially if they are from a different race.
To fast track the aspirations for change, why not form a political party. That way who knows, as a coalition member they can made demands which would be given better consideration than the present status quo.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know many Malays but I dun have Malay friends. One reason is that I have not been working in companies for many years and there is little chance for me to interact with Malays. I dun have Malay neighbours as well but I do remember the friendliness of the Malay guys in my class during school days and National Service.

I wish everyone well but I am still not sure the reason for that article.
Not sure if you read the article. I have appended it below for your convenience. I am also appending a summary.

Summary
1) Her father despite having reached teritary education was not called up to serve the nation. Malays are typically chucked into police and civil defence with token numbers in less sensitive units in the SAF for NS. They feel like pariahs or second class citizens in their own country
2) People assume that since she is a Malay and a journalist, she can only work for Berita Harian and not Straits Times. Stereotyping
3) Singaporean's continous beleief that Malays receive free education when they handed back their privilege voluntarily 18 years ago.
4) Malays voting for Taufik in numbers to push one of their kind in desperation
5) Celebrating the the record PSLE score by a Malay in rare outcome.

Nowhere in that article did she ask for special privileges, access to jobs, or any form of affirmative action or special treatment. She basically does not want the race to be treated as pariahs. They are prepard to do NS like any other Singaporean. They also do not want to be stereotyped. Its also a lesson to the Malays not to be parochial ie. Taufik affair.

Here is the article.
Aug 10, 2008
I wish...
Feeling like the least favourite child
Three writers share their hopes for Singapore this National Day
Nur Dianah Suhaimi

As a Malay, I've always been told that I have to work twice as hard to prove my worth
When I was younger, I always thought of myself as the quintessential Singaporean.

Of my four late grandparents, two were Malay, one was Chinese and one was Indian. This, I concluded, makes me a mix of all the main races in the country. But I later realised that it was not what goes into my blood that matters, but what my identity card says under 'Race'.

Because my paternal grandfather was of Bugis origin, my IC says I'm Malay. I speak the language at home, learnt it in school, eat the food and practise the culture. And because of my being Malay, I've always felt like a lesser Singaporean than those from other racial groups.

I grew up clueless about the concept of national service because my father was never enlisted.

He is Singaporean all right, born and bred here like the rest of the boys born in 1955. He is not handicapped in any way. He did well in school and participated in sports.

Unlike the rest, however, he entered university immediately after his A levels. He often told me that his schoolmates said he was 'lucky' because he was not called up for national service.

'What lucky?' he would tell them. 'Would you feel lucky if your country doesn't trust you?'

So I learnt about the rigours of national service from my male cousins. They would describe in vivid detail their training regimes, the terrible food they were served and the torture inflicted upon them - most of which, I would later realise, were exaggerations.

But one thing these stories had in common was that they all revolved around the Police Academy in Thomson. As I got older, it puzzled me why my Chinese friends constantly referred to NS as 'army'. In my family and among my Malay friends, being enlisted in the army was like hitting the jackpot. The majority served in the police force because, as is known, the Government was not comfortable with Malay Muslims serving in the army. But there are more of them now.

Throughout my life, my father has always told me that as a Malay, I need to work twice as hard to prove my worth. He said people have the misconception that all Malays are inherently lazy.

I was later to get the exact same advice from a Malay minister in office who is a family friend.

When I started work, I realised that the advice rang true, especially because I wear my religion on my head. My professionalism suddenly became an issue. One question I was asked at a job interview was whether I would be willing to enter a nightclub to chase a story. I answered: 'If it's part of the job, why not? And you can rest assured I won't be tempted to have fun.'

When I attend media events, before I can introduce myself, people assume I write for the Malay daily Berita Harian. A male Malay colleague in The Straits Times has the same problem, too.

This makes me wonder if people also assume that all Chinese reporters are from Lianhe Zaobao and Indian reporters from Tamil Murasu.

People also question if I can do stories which require stake-outs in the sleazy lanes of Geylang. They say because of my tudung I will stick out like a sore thumb. So I changed into a baseball cap and a men's sports jacket - all borrowed from my husband - when I covered Geylang.

I do not want to be seen as different from the rest just because I dress differently. I want the same opportunities and the same job challenges.

Beneath the tudung, I, too, have hair and a functioning brain. And if anything, I feel that my tudung has actually helped me secure some difficult interviews.

Newsmakers - of all races - tend to trust me more because I look guai (Hokkien for well-behaved) and thus, they feel, less likely to write critical stuff about them.

Recently, I had a conversation with several colleagues about this essay. I told them I never thought of myself as being particularly patriotic. One Chinese colleague thought this was unfair. 'But you got to enjoy free education,' she said.

Sure, for the entire 365 days I spent in Primary 1 in 1989. But my parents paid for my school and university fees for the next 15 years I was studying.

It seems that many Singaporeans do not know that Malays have stopped getting free education since 1990. If I remember clearly, the news made front-page news at that time.

We went on to talk about the Singapore Government's belief that Malays here would never point a missile at their fellow Muslim neighbours in a war.

I said if not for family ties, I would have no qualms about leaving the country. Someone then remarked that this is why Malays like myself are not trusted. But I answered that this lack of patriotism on my part comes from not being trusted, and for being treated like a potential traitor.

It is not just the NS issue. It is the frustration of explaining to non-Malays that I don't get special privileges from the Government. It is having to deal with those who question my professionalism because of my religion. It is having people assume, day after day, that you are lowly educated, lazy and poor. It is like being the least favourite child in a family. This child will try to win his parents' love only for so long. After a while, he will just be engulfed by disappointment and bitterness.

I also believe that it is this 'least favourite child' mentality which makes most Malays defensive and protective of their own kind.

Why do you think Malay families spent hundreds of dollars voting for two Malay boys in the Singapore Idol singing contest? And do you know that Malays who voted for other competitors were frowned upon by the community?

The same happens to me at work. When I write stories which put Malays in a bad light, I am labelled a traitor. A Malay reader once wrote to me to say: 'I thought a Malay journalist would have more empathy for these unfortunate people than a non-Malay journalist.'

But such is the case when you are a Malay Singaporean. Your life is not just about you, as much as you want it to be. You are made to feel responsible for the rest of the pack and your actions affect them as well. If you trip, the entire community falls with you. But if you triumph, it is considered everyone's success.

When 12-year-old Natasha Nabila hit the headlines last year for her record PSLE aggregate of 294, I was among the thousands of Malays here who celebrated the news. I sent instant messages to my friends on Gmail and chatted excitedly with my Malay colleagues at work.

Suddenly a 12-year-old has become the symbol of hope for the community and a message to the rest that Malays can do it too - and not just in singing competitions.

And just like that, the 'least favourite child' in me feels a lot happier.

Each year, come Aug 9, my father, who never had the opportunity to do national service, dutifully hangs two flags at home - one on the front gate and the other by the side gate.

I wonder if putting up two flags is his way of making himself feel like a better-loved child of Singapore.

[email protected]

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There are a lot of grievances in this society and I seriously cannot understand the whole fuss about it? Wat does the girl want?

It is pretty clear from the article itself that there are lots of areas which can be improved upon, from inter-racial dialogue, to National Service, to changing the mindsets of fellow Singaporeans.

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nowhere in that article did she ask for special privileges, access to jobs, or any form of affirmative action or special treatment. She basically does not want the race to be treated as pariahs. They are prepard to do NS like any other Singaporean. They also do not want to be stereotyped.

Precisely why it is a great article. folks should re-read the article again with this in mind. That was the main thrust of the article.

Last edited:

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike the rest, however, he entered university immediately after his A levels. He often told me that his schoolmates said he was 'lucky' because he was not called up for national service.

'What lucky?' he would tell them. 'Would you feel lucky if your country doesn't trust you?'
[email protected][/COLOR]

It is such an irony.

So many people tried to keng and siam NS (army) or hope to go to NS (police) so as to avoid all the strenuous physical training. Better still, if can get exempted, that would be something worth celebrating.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal,

I had read the article previously and now that I re-read it again, I am still unsure what she is trying to say.

1. Is she asking for the government not to discriminate against Malays? Ok, fine but is discrimination by the government the roots of Malays' problems? Will getting one Malay general, two Malay ministers and three Malay GLC CEOs turn their community into an economic powerhouse?

Look at Malaysia and Indonesia and their struggles so far. Is it really so simple?

2. Is she exhorting her community to wake up? Somehow I dun see that coming through.

The thing is that I see the Malay community moving in the similar direction as the Indian community. Instead of a diamond shaped social strata with a large middle class, it might become a pear with a small top tier and a big fat bottom. But who is to blame?

The government? Why? Because they dun allow the Malays to join the Armour troopers or Commandoes?

Please give me a break!