• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

Living in JB advice

Can someone advise me on how possible it is for someone that owns a 3 room flat with aged but self suffice parents to rent out their flat and live in JB together with parents ? Is it sufficent for the rent to cover a normal living expense there ? If yes what is the procedure like ? Do we need a special pass / how to apply for such pass ? Can we stay in JB with a regular social visit pass ? many thanks in advance.

chupacabra

Can someone advise me on how possible it is for someone that owns a 3 room flat with aged but self suffice parents to rent out their flat and live in JB together with parents ? Is it sufficent for the rent to cover a normal living expense there ? If yes what is the procedure like ? Do we need a special pass / how to apply for such pass ? Can we stay in JB with a regular social visit pass ? many thanks in advance.

All yes. No need special pass. If you take public transport for daily commute, apply for MACS. If you want to rent a house or apartment, get an agent. All it takes is a few days to get a place. You will save alot on utilities and groceries( some items). Good luck..

I dunno why anyone would want to live in JB.
there are many better places where it is cheaper and more kampung. You can live safely in places like in gemas, Pontian where a kampung house cost very cheap to rent and most youngsters abandon them to live in cities. less crime as neighbours know each other.
Everyday eat breakfast at kopitiam and buy fresh vege, meat and fish from market.
In cities, you are held for ransom by big businesses. In the villages, they are not present plus you can build your own m&d hut on agriculture land.

All yes. No need special pass. If you take public transport for daily commute, apply for MACS. If you want to rent a house or apartment, get an agent. All it takes is a few days to get a place. You will save alot on utilities and groceries( some items). Good luck..

My intention is to be able to live off the 3 room rental $ with very basic normal life without having to work as I am sicked of working with fts here. I plan to just return to sg to collect rental, and accompany my parents for their chronic checkups once a few mths.
IC, so msian still can rent apartment to me even I am on normal visit pass lah, hosay liao. !

I dunno why anyone would want to live in JB.
there are many better places where it is cheaper and more kampung. You can live safely in places like in gemas, Pontian where a kampung house cost very cheap to rent and most youngsters abandon them to live in cities. less crime as neighbours know each other.
Everyday eat breakfast at kopitiam and buy fresh vege, meat and fish from market.
In cities, you are held for ransom by big businesses. In the villages, they are not present plus you can build your own m&d hut on agriculture land.

I choose JB is becos I still want to remain in close contact with sinkie friends and relative. Also will need to bring my parents for quarterly medical checkups etc. So long a place can live basic life with the rental $ I will be glad enough and Xie Tian Xie Di liao.

chupacabra

My intention is to be able to live off the 3 room rental $ with very basic normal life without having to work as I am sicked of working with fts here. I plan to just return to sg to collect rental, and accompany my parents for their chronic checkups once a few mths.
IC, so msian still can rent apartment to me even I am on normal visit pass lah, hosay liao. !

If you can rent out your 3 room flat for more than SG2k that would bring you about RM4800. Rental for a good secured apartment with 3 rooms is about RM1.8k,
Utilities for internet, cable,water, electricity is about RM500. So in all the basic is about plus or minus RM2.5k. That leaves you with RM2.3k. More than enough for food/cook food. BTW I got my rental apartment within a week. It's much easier than Perth at least.
Been living in JB for a total of nearly 4 years. The only problem is getting around. I suggest near Bukit Indah - second link. Giant, Tesco, Jusco all within RM10 bucks cab. If you get the SKY apartment, all these shopping areas is just a stroll downstairs. I plan to move to the second link also. CIQ area is jammed packed with sinkees liao.

For those thinking of migrating to western cuntries, it's a good idea to unsinkeefy urself first in JB than it's easier to take that next step.

If you can rent out your 3 room flat for more than SG2k that would bring you about RM4800. Rental for a good secured apartment with 3 rooms is about RM1.8k,
Utilities for internet, cable,water, electricity is about RM500. So in all the basic is about plus or minus RM2.5k. That leaves you with RM2.3k. More than enough for food/cook food. BTW I got my rental apartment within a week. It's much easier than Perth at least.
Been living in JB for a total of nearly 4 years. The only problem is getting around. I suggest near Bukit Indah - second link. Giant, Tesco, Jusco all within RM10 bucks cab. If you get the SKY apartment, all these shopping areas is just a stroll downstairs. I plan to move to the second link also. CIQ area is jammed packed with sinkees liao.

For those thinking of migrating to western cuntries, it's a good idea to unsinkeefy urself first in JB than it's easier to take that next step.

Appreciate your value added advices. My 3 room I think can only fetch sgd 1.5k +- so it could be a potential disqualification for me :*: only got a bit of passive interest income like $250 per mth. My primary objective is not requiring to work lor. Yes getting around JB without a car can be a problem. I can go for kup kia but what about my parents. You stayed in JB for near 4 yrs, do you also worked there or just CBL with hobbies ?

FHBH12

Appreciate your value added advices. My 3 room I think can only fetch sgd 1.5k +- so it could be a potential disqualification for me :*: only got a bit of passive interest income like $250 per mth. My primary objective is not requiring to work lor. Yes getting around JB without a car can be a problem. I can go for kup kia but what about my parents. You stayed in JB for near 4 yrs, do you also worked there or just CBL with hobbies ?

HDB rental policy might change. You have forgotten 10% tax on rental property, commission to agent, insurance and emergencies like hospitalisation bill. Better to continue working instead of relying solely on HDB rental.

I was not aware of 10% tax on rental, tks for highlighting.
Comm to agent is 1 time thing so still ok
Insurance I only purchased hospitalization kind.
I am looking at stretching the rental $ to the max and converting to RM and do not mind to lead the simplest life vs working with the fts in sg really makes me feeling miserable everyday.
Rental policies change yes it is something unpredictable.

FHBH12

I was not aware of 10% tax on rental, tks for highlighting.
Comm to agent is 1 time thing so still ok
Insurance I only purchased hospitalization kind.
I am looking at stretching the rental $ to the max and converting to RM and do not mind to lead the simplest life vs working with the fts in sg really makes me feeling miserable everyday.
Rental policies change yes it is something unpredictable.

Johor won't be cheap forever and your HDB rental may not increase in line with inflation, given the supply of HDB coming. Only old estates at good location can maintain or command steady rental increase. If yours is in Punggol or Chua Chu Kang you can forget about it.

Depends whether need to take car when your parents come back to Sg for the chronic check ups, if need car then have to add cost of at least $50 one way for car transport service.

jayzbee

Interesting numbers. Things look good now partly coz the exchange rate is 1 is to 2.45++.

So do have some allowance or buffer for fx as well.

gooddebt

Depends whether need to take car when your parents come back to Sg for the chronic check ups, if need car then have to add cost of at least $50 one way for car transport service.

take cab in JB quite cheap . take to customs and then take bus or cab in Singapore.

TS, if u r still fit, find a part time or ad hoc basis job in Sinkieland. Extra mthly income act as a buffer when the need arises. Even if its only S$500 mthly pay. In ringgit term additional @ M$1200 mthly on top of ur passive income fm rental. Juz my tots....

tutucake

I used to think like u... Get a small house or apartment in jb... Live off hdb rental for a simple basic life for the rest of my life.... The most ideal scenario... But I think in reality, it will not be so straightforward...

Basically hdb rental in Singapore is not so straight forward... It's not easy being a landlord.. Especially when u get chao kuan tenants...those who make until ur house messy, dirty and oily...making it undesirable to rent out to the next tenant.... Still need to spend money fixing the spoilt fixtures, paint the house or even a new sofa... So be ready to lose 1mth ++ of rental for all that...

You cannot go without a job.. Cos there will sure be cases where ur house has not rental for a couple of mths without rental income during the transition from ex tenants to new tenants... Somemore sometimes wanna choose tenants leh...

Beside, we cannot be banging that singapore's economy to always be good and FTs will always be there.... Who knows what will happen to singpore in 10years time... If ur source of rental income is gone, then U'll be trapped...

I tink bro whoami's suggestion is good... Work leisurely... Get a simple job that pays u $1000+, take it as a past time...don't need to compete of impress ur boss... Get those factory job that works 12hrs shift and 13days per mth, got company bus going in and out jb one... Best!

Got income will feel more 踏实。。

Good luck!

graveyard

I used to think like u... Get a small house or apartment in jb... Live off hdb rental for a simple basic life for the rest of my life.... The most ideal scenario... But I think in reality, it will not be so straightforward...

Basically hdb rental in Singapore is not so straight forward... It's not easy being a landlord.. Especially when u get chao kuan tenants...those who make until ur house messy, dirty and oily...making it undesirable to rent out to the next tenant.... Still need to spend money fixing the spoilt fixtures, paint the house or even a new sofa... So be ready to lose 1mth ++ of rental for all that...

You cannot go without a job.. Cos there will sure be cases where ur house has not rental for a couple of mths without rental income during the transition from ex tenants to new tenants... Somemore sometimes wanna choose tenants leh...

Beside, we cannot be banging that singapore's economy to always be good and FTs will always be there.... Who knows what will happen to singpore in 10years time... If ur source of rental income is gone, then U'll be trapped...

I tink bro whoami's suggestion is good... Work leisurely... Get a simple job that pays u $1000+, take it as a past time...don't need to compete of impress ur boss... Get those factory job that works 12hrs shift and 13days per mth, got company bus going in and out jb one... Best!

Got income will feel more 踏实。。

Good luck!

and i heard tax on rental income is quite heavy. my friend was telling me for every year of rental income, be prepared to pay equivalent of 1mth rent income to uncle sam.

Unless you are retreating to the most remote part of JB, it is not advisable. As we all know, JB is no longer cheap and prices are ever rising - GST is set to come in anytime. You may think JB is cheap ..it is just affordable at this stage. Working will ensure you get CPF contribution from employer to chip in ur mortgage for your HDB, freeing up disposable SGD to convert to RM