• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I witnessed M Ravi suffering a mistrial

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
I witnessed Ravi's mistrial today in court

As simple as any layman will understand, it is a mistrial today at court for M Ravi's hearing regarding AGC's re-application to commit him to remand in Institute of Mental Health.

Mr. Ravi discharged his council Mr. Chia Ti Lik at the very beginning of the trial in open court at court 9, the trail went on for the entire morning with Mr. Ravi only representing himself without any other council. Under the law's very basic providence, any person on trial have the rights to council, however, the deputy public prosecutor went on the hearing asking the court to commit Mr. Ravi to IMH, as the accused Ravi who is supposedly of unsound-mind DID NOT HAVE ANY COUNCIL. And the presiding judge still let this application and argument went on for entire morning session.:eek:

Any layman of law will be able to simply understand that an accused person should not be defending in person without any council, against an application to commit himself to remand in mental hospital for having UNSOUND MIND. How can a person of UNSOUND MIND be able to represent himself? How can a court accept to hear an application in such a seriously unfair and prejudiced condition? How can this be right under any kind of law or legal system? :confused:

This is a very basic principal regardless of the background of accused person.

A surgeon is not supposed to operate on himself as his own patient.

A judge is not supposed to preside on his own case when he is accused person involved within the case.

A person being alleged to be of unsound mind shouldn't be unrepresented by a competent council for the hearing which might result to his own committal to a mental hospitalization.

If the public prosecutor by his own practice let such an accused person represented himself for such a hearing, he had already indeed compromised his own position to argue that this accused person is mentally incompetent or unfit, since the accused person can only be either of unsound mind meaning unfit to defend himself on his own, or being mentally fit and competent to defending himself in such a hearing. This has to be EITHER and can not be BOTH. :wink:

This hearing proceeding in such obviously unfair and unjust condition is scheduled to continue in the same manner tomorrow, can any one in the right mind imagine? In the absent of a lawyer representing Mr. Ravi, the court should had adjourned or appoint some qualified & competent lawyer before proceeding. Although Mr. Ravi is himself a very profound and senior lawyer, and he presented a logical and professional defense for himself in court today, as I witnessed, he still suffered serious prejudice. :(

If another person who is not trained in law like myself were in Ravi's shoes, facing such kind of insane trial can you imagine how much injustice and prejudice can be done in a famiLEE LEEgime court this way? :confused:

It is sad that DPP today did not realized his self-contradictory position in court. Mr. Ravi had been seriously prejudiced, and the judge let this not only go on for entire morning until court break for lunch and continued again in the afternoon session in the exactly same way, in Court 10, until after 5pm. Mr. Ravi suffered a mistrial and the famiLEE LEEgime's court made a miscarriage of justice, I witnessed the entire morning session until lunch.

I returned for the trial in the late afternoon, however as I arrived, it was already over on my arrival I met Mr. Ravi who was on his way walking out of the court. :cool:

Actually Mr Gopalan Nair was also on trial at Court 6 today, when Ravi's hearing was not in session at Court 9, I sat in Court 6 to listen to Mr. Nair's trial. Mr. Nair defended himself without any lawyer, and it was the 2nd mata witness for his cross examination today. Mr. Nair put this mata on the stand for 4 days of cross examination. The judge and DPP seems to be much more patience than those I had encountered in my own cases. :-) :p

Before dinner, I took Mr. Gopalan Nair to Mr. Ravi's office and we had a coffee together.

It was a very happy gathering, and we are all very pleased. I am very satisfied because the two of them Mr. Ravi & Mr. Gopalan Nair had for long donkey years suffered misunderstandings among themselves and they were not in good terms. Most people who know both of them will not expect this happy visit to take place. :smile:

However to our surprise, famiLEE LEEgime's charges against both of them (both lawyers, both Indians) had turned their hostilities back into friendship! I am so happy that I shared this happy moments with my 2 friends this evening. :-) Oh yes famiLEE LEEgime can do magic turning rival oppositions into friends! Thanks very much LEEgime! Charge us more! You are welcomed! :smile:

[Blogspot & Google Video are still being uploaded, servers are very slow right now, I already waited for hours and they are still processing]

In such a happy occasion I received a nice gift from Mr. Ravi which is this blue colored Chinese coat that I was wearing in this picture taken at Ravi's office:

Mr. Ravi showed me the worship room within his office that is sacred to him, where the famiLEE LEEgime matas without showing warrants / cards entered with shoes disrespectfully to arrest him: (video is still being uploaded)

View from Mr. Ravi's office window:

China Town and The Sri Marianman Temple as well as the Masjid Jamae mosque are all in clear view from Mr. Ravi's office window: (click on pictures to enlarge view)

posted by uncleyap at 12:59 AM

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
i said before When you are a guest in another country, you respect the culture and the law of that country. If you don't want to, don't go. It is quite simple.

However to our surprise, famiLEE LEEgime's charges against both of them (both lawyers, both Indians)

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
i said before When you are a guest in another country, you respect the culture and the law of that country. If you don't want to, don't go. It is quite simple.

No a guest. Ravi is a citizen of Singapore. He was born and raised here.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a very basic principal regardless of the background of accused person.

A surgeon is not supposed to operate on himself as his own patient.

A judge is not supposed to preside on his own case when he is accused person involved within the case.

A person being alleged to be of unsound mind shouldn't be unrepresented by a competent council for the hearing which might result to his own committal to a mental hospitalization.

If the public prosecutor by his own practice let such an accused person represented himself for such a hearing, he had already indeed compromised his own position to argue that this accused person is mentally incompetent or unfit, since the accused person can only be either of unsound mind meaning unfit to defend himself on his own, or being mentally fit and competent to defending himself in such a hearing. This has to be EITHER and can not be BOTH. :wink:

M Ravi had a lawyer. He was adopting the time buying tactic of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan by discharging his lawyer and them complaining he didn't have any. Doesn't work in Singapore.

glock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any layman of law will be able to simply understand that an accused person should not be defending in person without any council, against an application to commit himself to remand in mental hospital for having UNSOUND MIND. How can a person of UNSOUND MIND be able to represent himself?

what you are saying is very dangerous

so you say, if someone is suspected unsound mind, have to have lawyer assigned to him?

then what if he disagree with the lawyer -then who do you believe?

if must have lawyer assign to him ,then he also have no power to change the lawyer ,then like that very easy to get rid of people . i just accuse you unsound mind ,i assign you lawyer ,you scream and shout lawyer not doing what you want him to do ,but can ignore you because you unsound mind what

like that very easy to send people to imh

this one no choice one

m ravi had lawyer , he dont want

i think even the chees think something wrong with him from the time he is their lawyer in court

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
But you are authorised to complain on his behalf?
So far he is authorised to release documents on people's matriomonial matters entrusted to lawyers, embezzlement of temple funds meant on charity and on versions of stories that are assumed as long as distance is close by.

Bizzare isn't it - showing ravi praying at his altar which has absolutely no bearing on anything but no qualms about derogatory comments about the oldest Hindu temple.

bebo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good post and photos :biggrin:

You spelt "council" wrong as one bro has pointed out. It is counsel.

Aiyoh, just use the word lawyer yah.:p

How did Ravi get himself in such mess? He is needed to defend opposition politicians who are being hunted down! :smile:

bigbossman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ravi don't look like the temple type from the photos. Surprising to see him worshipping indian gods at his little altar :smile:

tate

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Ravi case is really bizarre. And now they say Ravi is of unsound mind? Strange :confused:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far he is authorised to release documents on people's matriomonial matters entrusted to lawyers, embezzlement of temple funds meant on charity and on versions of stories that are assumed as long as distance is close by.

Bizzare isn't it - showing ravi praying at his altar which has absolutely no bearing on anything but no qualms about derogatory comments about the oldest Hindu temple.

trying to be holy and ended up HOOLEEY...extra O n E .:biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps we should get to the crux of this particular case i.e. why was Ravi at the mosque (assuming he was actually there as claimed in the criminal charges) in the first place and what did he actually do?

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
sdp also say ravi need to go mad hospital? fight with pap can go mad??? wtf. uncle yap, dont go crazy ok :biggrin:

SDP calls on activists not to exploit Ravi's situation

Tuesday, 12 August 2008
Singapore Democrats

The Singapore Democrats are concerned about the arrest and prosecution of Mr M Ravi yesterday. There is no escaping the fact that Mr Ravi needs medical attention and rest to recuperate.

Mr Ravi is a capable lawyer with a heart of gold. He is a compassionate individual who looks out for the little guy. He campaigned rigorously against the death penalty in Singapore when it was still unfashionable to do so. He has also discharged his duties as counsel for the SDP admirably and in a manner expected of a lawyer of the highest professionalism and dedication.

Mr Ravi stepped into the breach to help the SDP defend itself against Mr Lee Kuan Yew and Mr Lee Hsien Loong in the recent hearing when few lawyers were willing to do so. He held his own against the Lees' lawyer, Mr Davinder Singh, and refused to be rail-roaded. Mr Ravi is a one-man legal firm while Mr Singh is the chief of Drew & Napier, a law firm of more than 150 lawyers. In that hearing Mr Ravi applied himself with distinction.

The Singapore Democrats wish to record our thanks to Mr Ravi.

What Mr Ravi needs presently is rest and medical care. In this light, we call on the authorities to view this matter in perspective and we hope that Mr Ravi will be treated appropriately.

We also call on activist bloggers to refrain from exploiting this matter by posting inaccurate statements about Mr Ravi's situation and stoking sentiment against the authorities, including the police.

The Singapore Democrats will not be deterred from speaking out when our law enforcement agencies detract from their rightful duty and protect the interests of the ruling party instead of the public's. But we will also not hesitate to caution against misguided actions and statements of individuals that inaccurately and unnecessarily portray the police in a negative light.

----------------------------------------------

Lawyer M Ravi arrested and charged with disturbing mosque prayersBy Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 11 August 2008 2332 hrs

SINGAPORE : Singapore lawyer M Ravi was charged in court on Monday for disturbing a religious assembly.

The lawyer, who has represented the Singapore Democratic Party in previous civil cases, was allegedly disrupting evening prayers at the Jamae Chulia mosque on August 3 at about 7.30pm.

He is said to have been shouting and interrupting the religious proceeding and when approached by devotees, is alleged to have verbally abused them.

According to the police, this is not the first time the lawyer has behaved this way.

They said he is known to have behaved violently and abusively at places of worship, shops, the Subordinate Courts, and other public areas.

Bail has been set at S$8,000.

Police say behaviour that undermines racial and religious harmony will not be tolerated, especially when the provocative act takes place in a place of worship while prayers are being conducted. - CNA/ms

For more information - Uncle Yap

http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/...ctivists-not-to-exploit-ravi-s-situation.html

Last edited: