• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Brave lady - where is she?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singapore Democrats interview with activist Jaslyn Go
03 July 2008

“I will not live by fear”: Activist, businesswoman, mother

jas.jpg

What prompts a young mother of two to stand up for her rights and the rights of her fellow citizens in a country known for crushing dissent with frightening efficiency? This is a question that many Singaporeans will ask if they met Jaslyn Go Hui Leng.

This is because Ms Go is one of the 18 Singaporeans charged with taking part in an assembly and procession without a permit on 15 Mar this year.
That event launched the Tak Boleh Tahan! campaign which is aimed at highlighting the PAP Government’s raising of prices and fees that has thrown hundreds of thousands of Singaporeans into economic disarray and hardship.

And what will be her answer?

I will not live by the fear the PAP seeks to instill in its citizens,” explains Ms Go. “They can try to cripple me with arrest, jail or fine, but they can’t stop me from speaking up.

So what does the financial plight of workers have to do with a successful businesswoman who leads a more-than-comfortable lifestyle with her family?

I used to be very poor when I was young,” explained Ms Go, “now that I am better off, I hope I can do my part and highlight the plight our elderly and poor in Singapore are going through.

If we continue to allow the PAP to rule with an iron fist, the people’s problems will not be addressed and I fear that the younger generation will suffer more than we are now as the cost of living are skyrocketing and our jobs are being taken over by foreigners.

The Singapore Democrats first came to know Ms Go during the vigil outside the Burmese embassy in September 2007. Since then, the vivacious and determined advocate of democracy has been actively helping to promote human rights in Singapore.

Prior to the protest, I tried in my own ways to engage the government by writing to my MP, Tanjong Pagar GRC MPs, and the Straits Times. But time and again they refused to reply to me, or publish my letters,” she writes in her blog.

There is a steely quality about Ms Go that pushes her on. And it is not just starry-eyed ideals that propels the lady’s actions; she makes no bones that she is also doing this for the sake of her two children, aged 3 and 5.
Children in Singapore have been deprived of quality life which is so stressful even for young children, she points out.

Child suicide has been on the rise. The root of the problem lies in the stiff competition that our children are being put through in school,” says Ms Go. “I hope this can be a thing of the past.

Asked what she hopes for in the next 5 to 10 years, Ms Go replies that she would like to see elderly folks who have contributed to Singapore’s progress be taken care of by the government and not reduced to collecting cardboard boxes and empty drink cans to eke out a living.
And how does she think this can be achieved?

I hope to see a change in government to a more humane one that puts the country and the citizens first.

Ms Go will appear in Subordinate Court 23 together with the other 17 activists.

Many Singaporeans shy away from engaging in the public process by claiming that they have their families to think about. Such fear is a damning indictment of the PAP. Be that as it may, Ms Go’s example and courage should be a ringing call to citizens of this country to overcome their fearful inertia and become actively involved in matters that concern their everyday lives as well as their future.

Singaporeans can get involved by taking the first step next Friday, 11 Jul 08. Come down to the Subordinate Courts at 9 am to lend your support to this woman of incredible courage as well as to the other activists who have stood up for justice and democracy in Singapore.

If Singapore had more committed citizens like Ms Go, this country would be a much better place to live in.

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Jaslyn for you... the best thing about Political is the road out of it....

You are mother of two.. stick to that role.. it troubles me to see irresponsible adult bringing their 2 young kids to participate in a protest...
that;s .. that's what i call bigoted and not very bright...:rolleyes:

[/I] “I will not live by fear”: Activist, businesswoman, mother

KingEros

Leongsam said:
“... I fear that the younger generation will suffer more than we are now as the cost of living are skyrocketing and our jobs are being taken over by foreigners.”
“Child suicide has been on the rise. The root of the problem lies in the stiff competition that our children are being put through in school,” says Ms Go. “I hope this can be a thing of the past.”
No stiff competition in the school for our children ... but she acknowledged that current job opportunities are already being usurped by the cheaper foreign labour brigade.
So, isn't she another one of those who wants her cake & eat it too?

Leongsam said:
So what does the financial plight of workers have to do with a successful businesswoman who leads a more-than-comfortable lifestyle with her family? There is a steely quality about Ms Go that pushes her on. And it is not just starry-eyed ideals that propels the lady’s actions; she makes no bones that she is also doing this for the sake of her two children, aged 3 and 5.
This writer gets to sleep with her?

Leongsam said:
Many Singaporeans shy away from engaging in the public process by claiming that they have their families to think about. Such fear is a damning indictment of the PAP. Be that as it may, Ms Go’s example and courage should be a ringing call to citizens of this country to overcome their fearful inertia and become actively involved in matters that concern their everyday lives as well as their future.
Perhaps the other Sillyporeans are quietly finding ways to score the winning goals for their next generation, instead of complaining about the size of the goalposts, the length of the grass, the colour of the corner flags, etc.
Anyway, what did she think her blind courage was ever gonna achieve ... for this country to nolstalgically revert to third world status? Face it ... she could easily migrate to any neighbouring country to achieve that & more significantly, there are more enough willing takers to replace her as another more patriotic citizen. :rolleyes:

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyway, what did she think her blind courage was ever gonna achieve ... for this country to nolstalgically revert to third world status? Face it ... she could easily migrate to any neighbouring country to achieve that & more significantly, there are more enough willing takers to replace her as another more patriotic citizen. :rolleyes:

As politics affects the lives of citizenry, it is therefore the rights and duties of citizenry to participate fully and actively in the political process.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why "bigoted"?

Jaslyn for you... the best thing about Political is the road out of it....

You are mother of two.. stick to that role.. it troubles me to see irresponsible adult bringing their 2 young kids to participate in a protest...
that;s .. that's what i call bigoted and not very bright...:rolleyes:

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reality will crush idealistic most of the time. If protesting or voicing out works, Singapore will not be what it is today. :rolleyes:

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Leongsam..

Am honour u started a thread about me..

I am still around..just been busy not only with my primary role as a mother, but also with my professional and activists work..

I have also been concentrating more on blog posting and will only pop in to your kopitiam or Otak Shop when time permits..

Thanks for remebering me this mother of two nobody :-)

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
she could easily migrate to any neighbouring country to achieve that & more significantly, there are more enough willing takers to replace her as another more patriotic citizen. :rolleyes:[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

Remember our song..

This is my country..
This is my flag..
This is my future..
This is my life..
This is my family..
These are my friends..
We are Singapore, S I N G A P O R E A N S..

Singapore belongs to Singaporeans and not imported foreigners..

It is easy for me to quit and migrate elsewhere..but I chose the harder route to stay and fight the unjust system..

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reality will crush idealistic most of the time. If protesting or voicing out works, Singapore will not be what it is today. :rolleyes:

It is a positive sign that people begin to take a stand on issues rather than sitting on the fence. The worse type of people are those who have no opinions on issues and are contented with being politically apathetic, a disease which has infected the vast majority for far too long.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe you can make a larger impact by posting here more often..... it widens the reach of your views.... after all, this is the de facto other voice of unhappy citizens....

beng

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
LaMei,

This country depends on how the voters vote. It does not depend on the quality of the Opposition. If the voters show that they want quality Opposition then quality Opposition will arise. If the voters are fearful and greedy or stupid, then they get the ruling party and opposition they deserved.

If voters vote conscientiously, then the correct mix of ruling party and opposition will be formed.

But your family depends on you, not the voters. Not your Opposition friends. Not the Ruling Party. Not even your Country. But on you.

And the role of a mother is to look after her children. Same for the father.

Regards,

(My opinion only)

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I was getting worried when you signed up for an account but had yet to post anything since the forum moved here. :p

Welcome back. We missed you. :wink:

Hi Leongsam..

Am honour u started a thread about me..

I am still around..just been busy not only with my primary role as a mother, but also with my professional and activists work..

I have also been concentrating more on blog posting and will only pop in to your kopitiam or Otak Shop when time permits..

Thanks for remebering me this mother of two nobody :-)