• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Register my son as a Singapore citizen

NightCrawler

Gonna have a son in Melbourne soon in 3 months time.Contemplating if i should register him as a Singaporean.Not sure what are the pros and cons of him having a Pink IC.

Anybody have any details ? Heard that there would be a 75k bond or something like than needed after he is 12yrs old to ensure that he comes back for NS and that he can't renounce his Singapore citizenship unless he is 21 years and above.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gonna have a son in Melbourne soon in 3 months time.Contemplating if i should register him as a Singaporean.Not sure what are the pros and cons of him having a Pink IC.

Anybody have any details ? Heard that there would be a 75k bond or something like than needed after he is 12yrs old to ensure that he comes back for NS and that he can't renounce his Singapore citizenship unless he is 21 years and above.

A person born outside Singapore on or after 15 May 2004, with at least one parent who is a Singaporean citizen, is a Singaporean citizen by descent. If the parent from whom the child derives citizenship is a Singaporean citizen by descent, the parent must have been resident in Singapore for a total of at least four years before the child's birth or a total of at least one year out of the five years immediately preceding the child's birth.

Children of Singaporean citizens by registration born overseas will be granted Singaporean citizenship by descent only if they do not acquire citizenship of the country of their birth.

When to Register Birth
Birth Registration - Births should be registered within 14 days from the date of birth, including Sundays and public holidays.

Delayed Registration - Delayed registration refers to births registered after 14 days and within 42 days. Delayed registration is strongly discouraged.

Late Registration - If registration is done after 42 days, a letter of explanation stating the reason for late registration must be submitted for the Registrar/Registrar General's approval. Late registration cases can only be registered at ICA.

It is up to parents to decide whether they want to give their sons a choice (give them the best opportunity to make up their own mind when they come of age.)

I know that some would say that you should start to think of their possible citizenship options and National Service obligations at the point of conception. If you decided to make a decision now, you should write down why you do so, given the current situation of Singapore/Australia and what in your opinion is best for him forthe future. You have settled in Australia for a reason too, so state why you do so.

Be a little realistic, how many has 20/20 vision into the future? Laws changes over time. Some people left China for Nanyang for the sake of their kids. And the kids left Nanyang for Australia

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal

An advice... don't register him as a singapore citizen.. when he is old enough for the job market.. he can always get a singapore pr... it is a fact reservist liability is a drag on a person's career...

metadata

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anything happen to ur son during NS, u received 15K for ur effort in raising him and maybe a thank you letter and a national flag.

Is the chance slim? I've been medic and I can tell u all the way a ns rookie can die -
commit suicide falling over building, heat stroke in road march, cardiac arrest in jogging/soc, head injury in boxing match, rappeling accident, parachute malfunction, diving swept by strong current, man overboard, tank overturn, jeep electrocuted with antenna touching overhead power line, live fire mishap, grenade explode

I'm sure brothers here have more account to share, they are all very real

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Foregive me for being so straight forward but I think you are one sick person. For heaven sake, if he is born in Melbourne, he will be an Ozzie citizen. You could later on bring him over to Sinkeeland as an FT. Instead if you register him as a Sinkee citizen, you'll have to get him to serve in the National Slavery for 2 years and once he comes out,he'll have an FT shitting all over him. Please think logically. You have brought your son into this world to give him a good life, not to push him in to a shithole.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is only one country in the world other than Pacific Island nations that offer PR and citizenship within a year with little requirements and that is Singapore. That should paint a clear picture why policies have reversed so drastically over the last 20 years.

There is only one country in the world that gives you 6 months visa to look for a job.

These are realities that cannot be dismissed. A country that small with no natural resoruces and no hinterland and just software is already behind the 8 ball. It was a good run for the 50 years but things can't go on like this.

If the PM's eldest son has advised his younger brother not to take up a scholarship. Thats speaks volumes.

Just spend all your time and effort to nuture your son to be the best in a lucky country.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

On a diff perspective, it may be good to register him as a Sporean. You'll get $$$ in instalments.. benefits like any others.. entry to PAP Kindergarden.. ability to obtain cheap and good education.. best of all, he can join the politics and be our FUTURE PM !!... you can retire in peace (with ya son earning 3-4 mil, with minor responsibility).. The bond is immaterial if he returns to serve NS.

If he can't change the world or eliminate poverty.. JOIN THE PIRATES. Dont simply follow the rest.. his future is enormous, if everyone leaves the country. Think carefully... :wink: