• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jonathan Quek say Anti-government grouses on Internet sometimes too much

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Online+Story/STIStory_268109.html

Anti-government grouses on Internet sometimes too much

WHENEVER I surf the Internet on the latest updates on Singapore, I never fail to come across negative posts from Singaporeans criticising the Government for implementing new policies, from setting up the integrated resorts to Electronic Road Pricing and even the amount of money the Government will pay Olympic gold medallists.

As a Singaporean who has been in South Korea for the past eight months because of work, and who studied at a British university, I am used to being the minority listening to how other nationalities magnify their achievements and how great their country is.

Some people view the superiority of their country by the number of gold medals they achieve in the Olympics or the strength of their national football team, not knowing what a small country like Singapore actually means.

Without natural resources and with a population of four million, Singapore has managed to be No. 1 in many categories. We are in the top three for four consecutive years in terms of competitiveness, labour relations, cultural openness and living costs, with the United States and Hong Kong.

We have one of the most user-friendly airports in the world. Our workforce are rated second in the world in terms of productivity. Our education system is one of the best and most affordable in the world. Our road system is also one of the best managed in the world. (If you have been to Indonesia or even Korea, you will understand what I mean.)

Not to even mention, Singapore was voted by our Asian neighbours as the best place in the world to live, in terms of safety and cleanliness.

All this would not be possible without a strong group of people leading our country, the people we sometimes complain most about - the Government.

It's sometimes like the parent-and-child relationship, where the child never stop complaining about the parents because of the restrictions the parents implement for the good of the child.

Sometimes oblivious to how much we have achieved over the years, and how this is impossible without the leadership of a strong and capable government, we conveniently forget that, without new ideas and improvements the Government has implemented over the years, Singapore could never be in today's position. Just try to search for achievements Singapore has achieved over these years on the Internet and you know what I meant.

Jonathan Quek

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Without natural resources and with a population of four million, Singapore has managed to be No. 1 in many categories. We are in the top three for four consecutive years in terms of competitiveness, labour relations, cultural openness and living costs, with the United States and Hong Kong.

We have one of the most user-friendly airports in the world. Our workforce are rated second in the world in terms of productivity. Our education system is one of the best and most affordable in the world. Our road system is also one of the best managed in the world. (If you have been to Indonesia or even Korea, you will understand what I mean.)

Where do all these figures come from?:confused:

prdsingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
cannot make it to local universities and the kind of illogical thinking displayed in his letter shows why.

You have fallen into this illogical thinking trap. The prominence of local uni is exaggerated and manufactured by the very government you ridicule. Therefore you yourself have been conditioned to see alternative routes to success outside of PAP guidance as deviant.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have fallen into this illogical thinking trap. The prominence of local uni is exaggerated and manufactured by the very government you ridicule. Therefore you yourself have been conditioned to see alternative routes to success outside of PAP guidance as deviant.

The writer has taken the same old route of academic achievement although in a low class uni overseas.

If he had taken an alternative route, he would have used the money for tuition fees and living expenses overseas to start a business venture and make a success out of it.

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
WHENEVER I surf the Internet on the latest updates on Singapore, I never fail to come across negative posts from Singaporeans criticising the Government for implementing new policies, from setting up the integrated resorts to Electronic Road Pricing and even the amount of money the Government will pay Olympic gold medallists. As a Singaporean who has been in South Korea for the past eight months because of work, and who studied at a British university, I am used to being the minority listening to how other nationalities magnify their achievements and how great their country is.

The PAP is not Singapore, and Singapore is not the PAP.

Enough said.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, Spore citizens have sacrificed alot to achieve Spores success. What did the current PAP millionaires "SACRIFICE"?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Online+Story/STIStory_268109.html

Anti-government grouses on Internet sometimes too much

WHENEVER I surf the Internet on the latest updates on Singapore, I never fail to come across negative posts from Singaporeans criticising the Government for implementing new policies, from setting up the integrated resorts to Electronic Road Pricing and even the amount of money the Government will pay Olympic gold medallists.

As a Singaporean who has been in South Korea for the past eight months because of work, and who studied at a British university, I am used to being the minority listening to how other nationalities magnify their achievements and how great their country is.

Some people view the superiority of their country by the number of gold medals they achieve in the Olympics or the strength of their national football team, not knowing what a small country like Singapore actually means.

Not to even mention, Singapore was voted by our Asian neighbours as the best place in the world to live, in terms of safety and cleanliness.

All this would not be possible without a strong group of people leading our country, the people we sometimes complain most about - the Government.

It's sometimes like the parent-and-child relationship, where the child never stop complaining about the parents because of the restrictions the parents implement for the good of the child.

Sometimes oblivious to how much we have achieved over the years, and how this is impossible without the leadership of a strong and capable government, we conveniently forget that, without new ideas and improvements the Government has implemented over the years, Singapore could never be in today's position. Just try to search for achievements Singapore has achieved over these years on the Internet and you know what I meant.

Jonathan Quek

Well, if we judge a country by its statistics only, then every nation would be fighting to be No.1 But to judge on stats only shows the naivety of some people. After all, people who migrate to other countries often take other issues into consideration besides the normal stats.

So I think this guy is being kinda narrow-minded. He thinks that as long as these stats are valid, and that we would continue to be happy for the next 40 years, we would be fine. Well, the truth is we are not. And take it from me, when we do so, even we will get complacent, as LKY accused all of us earlier this year when Selamat escaped.