• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM Lee says there is no money politics in SG

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
MM Lee said there is “no money politics” in Singapore. He said that in many Asian countries, money politics is simply the “code word” for buying votes to gain power, and after that is done, “to recover your expenses plus some profit for the next round of vote-buying“. (TODAY article, “Is it that simple?”, 14 Aug)

Thank you, MM Lee, for giving such a good description of the HDB flat and lift upgrading programme. I could not said it better myself.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
MM Lee said there is “no money politics” in Singapore. He said that in many Asian countries, money politics is simply the “code word” for buying votes to gain power, and after that is done, “to recover your expenses plus some profit for the next round of vote-buying“. (TODAY article, “Is it that simple?”, 14 Aug)

Thank you, MM Lee, for giving such a good description of the HDB flat and lift upgrading programme. I could not said it better myself.

MM Lee is truly a megalomanic moron stuck in a time warp! He still thinks he is talking to people of the 60's and 70's and children to boot!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Paying ministers world highest salaries & MP's too - if this isn't money politics of the worst kind, what is????????????????? Helping oneself to the treasury funds: isn't that same as stealing?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Old man thinks that we have no clue about the world. I wonder who the hell is he talking to.

browser32

What Old Scum Lee meant is it is the Politics of Money in Sinkapore like how to pay the themselves very welll & how to tax the Sinkees so well until they end up in the poorhouse. This guy should remember he is a fosillised dinosaur.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
No sure there is no money politics, just like increasing their salary to indecent amount there is no money involved...sure like giving payout prior to a erection there is no money involved or like not selecting estate that do not vote them for upgrading, there is no money involved...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Money politics #1 - Millions and millions of ministerial pay packages

Money politics #2 - Billions and billions of voters' packages

Money politics #3 - Get it back from voters to finance #1 and #2

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal

No money in politics, but favours favours favours translating ultimately into money. :mad:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Some political wag once said, " Democracy can only exists as long as voters do not realize they can vote themselves largesse from the public purse" or words to that effect. Vote buying or Pork barreling in the West has been one of the side effects of democracy though a competitive political system takes away its worst edges. Singapore is unique though in how it approaches vote buying or pork barrelling. In the west Pork barreling is non discriminatory. For example in the US republican pork for the Republican rich favors both democratic rich and republican rich likewise democratic pork for the middle class favors both the republican and democratic middle class. Singapore is unique in how its pork barreling favors political interests especially in something as basic as housing. Its logic carried in extremis would mean it would be ok to discriminate in health care and education for the opposition voters in HG and PP.
Pork barreling is also destructive to the PAP because I view Pork Barreling in terms of housing upgrades together with the GRC as an attempt by them to destroy political competition and entrench PAP dominance. Or in the immortal words of Mr Brown " a Guranteed Risk Free Career. " The PAP complains often and loudly about the difficulty of recruiting talent. Perhaps the talent they have, more clones and drones , than real leaders is a reflection of the risk free system they have created with outstanding rewards. Take risk out the system and you end up with clones and drones, make losing real, make every political battle hard fought with the chance of a loss and you end up with better leaders.

Vote Buying in Singapore thankfully is not the same as vote buying in Malaysia whereby party dominance, policy give aways, is combined with vote buying in internal party politics for the purpose of dividing up the awards of government contracts. That is the absolute worst and he is right in pointing that out. He should also however remember the vote buying that he does himself in Singapore.

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal
I view Pork Barreling in terms of housing upgrades together with the GRC as an attempt by them to destroy political competition and entrench PAP dominance.

Vote Buying in Singapore thankfully is not the same as vote buying in Malaysia whereby party dominance, policy give aways, is combined with vote buying in internal party politics for the purpose of dividing up the awards of government contracts.
Locke
GRC to entrench themselves yes. But porkbarelling is always a fluid issue as its is funded by the state budget and both the incumbent and the contender can make promises from the same pie. But it was amazing to see the once puritannical PAP coming down from the high horse of morals to buy votes in PP in particular. I do recall that Old man used to talk disparagingly about pork barrelling.

Yes on Malaysia. Really sad.

friskygambit

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the Progress Package handouts are not money politics, I don't know what is.

MM Lee's own son, the Prime Minister, even admitted that if more opposition members were elected, he would have to fret about how to "buy his supporters' votes".

locky2ky

Alfrescian
Loyal
GRC to entrench themselves yes. But porkbarelling is always a fluid issue as its is funded by the state budget and both the incumbent and the contender can make promises from the same pie. But it was amazing to see the once puritannical PAP coming down from the high horse of morals to buy votes in PP in particular. I do recall that Old man used to talk disparagingly about pork barrelling.

Yes on Malaysia. Really sad.

isn't the pap a shinning example of power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely?

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
then why before every election,there will not be any price hikes and increases.
some more have goodies to collect.
if this is not money politics,then i do not know what it is ?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

If paying your ministers and yourself tens of millions per year ain't money politics, then I don't know what is, Mr. Lee.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He is one bad example. period!