• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Phone Scams

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
read in today's Strait Times.

$9m lost to phone scams
More victims duped since last year as scams become more creative.

PHONE scams are continuing here, and getting more creative.
Last year alone, about 350 victims were persuaded to hand over $4.6 million to phone cheats, say the police.

Victims are told via SMS or on the phone that that they have won a prize in a lucky draw or lottery.
... more
This year is turning out to be a good year for these fraudsters: In the first half of this year alone, takings by the cheats were almost as much as what they made in the whole of last year.

Between January and June, 253 victims lost more than $4.3 million, which works out to more than one unsuspecting person falling prey daily.

The reason why it happens is GREED.

anyone been cheated before,please share your experience.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe a lot us here also received those type of phone calls.
for me,if they ask me to attend a siminar or request for a lot of personal information,i will smell it is a scam.
and i will tell them that i forgo the prize or cash and let others have the opportunities or others have the chance.

but have to agree, Greed is what make those people fell to these scams.

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
so have to be very careful.
this is just one of the method.
with today's technology,there are a lot of scams out there.

S

Scolari

Ya, alot of these calls have been traced to come from China and India.

ReCaRo79

Alfrescian
Loyal
Phone scams have existed since long ago. Only now the rates are increasing.

I personally kena before and the caller sounds like a young punk ah beng.

He said i won a prize and told me to go orchard to collect personally but i got no idea where he got my hp numbers.

He got a bit irritated and impatient after i doubted him and rejected his offer. Then he scolded me vulgarities and hang up.

My personal experience...

joker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Phone scams have existed since long ago. Only now the rates are increasing.

I personally kena before and the caller sounds like a young punk ah beng.

He said i won a prize and told me to go orchard to collect personally but i got no idea where he got my hp numbers.

He got a bit irritated and impatient after i doubted him and rejected his offer. Then he scolded me vulgarities and hang up.

My personal experience...

Actually it is very simple. Companies organising lucky draw will not bother to employ ppl to call the winners one by one to pester you to come and collect your prize. After all they got nothing to gain lah. They will send a letter to you and donate the prize if you dun come and collect.

After talking to the person for a while you can sense that he got something to promote to you if you go to his place.

Flintstome

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, why bother to waste time calling you and sometimes get engage tone or subscriber not available kind of craps. Just mail or email settle liao lor.

Those call you personally, 9 out of 10 are fake ones lah. :rolleyes:

Platini

Alfrescian
Loyal
i received a few emails fr my new ymail n stated there is usd1+ million asking for my 'help' to withdraw e money n all tis emails is fr indian!