• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore 1964 riots.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look at how it was the malays that started it simply cos of a policeman's orders. Of course if it was some chinese that behaved the same way it would have been totally the chinese fault. When malays start the riots it's also the chinese fault.

On 21 July 1964, about 25,000 Malays gathered at the Padang, Singapore to celebrate the Muslim prophet Muhammad's birthday. After the speeches, the procession went on to Geylang. Along the way, a policeman asked a group that was dispersed to rejoin the main procession. Instead of obeying the orders, the group attacked the policeman.

The riots were reported to have started at about 5:00 p.m. between Kallang and Geylang Serai. The government declared a curfew at 9.30 p.m. to restore order, but in the first day of rioting, 23 people were killed and 454 injured.[SUP][1][/SUP]

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malays all dispersed already what. No chance for them to get a safe Malay seat in parliament. Hence no representation from the community. So better stay silent, salute and say,"yes sir".

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malays all dispersed already what. No chance for them to get a safe Malay seat in parliament. Hence no representation from the community. So better stay silent, salute and say,"yes sir".

why no commentary on the article? Oh yes cos i'm correct but somehow you must find a way to indulge in self pity. Mind explaining to me why is it so hard for you to be honest?

smiling

Alfrescian
Loyal
wats the point of responding to you Jah? your objective is to ridicule everytime somebody try to say something positive about the malays
my advice for all is just stay silent - no point in engaging you cos you never make any sense - we know wat your intentions are
lets just say you win, if thats wat you want to hear ..

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see TS frequently baiting and inciting certain race. Time for him to be called up.

Leave him alone.

He seems to be a mole of sorts.

This is an open forum and many a weird ppl are part of it.

Don't be baited by such ppl.

There will be a time when he too will learn.

Time and tide waits for no one.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Singapore Riots of 1964 was a nightmare.

It was known as the Kampong Soopoo Incident just opposite the Kallang Gasworks (now known as Padang Jeringau)

I was then living in a Chinese kampung.

We had a Malay hamlet on the fringe of our village.

The kampong "fire-station" was close to this lovely clean and well-swept Malay hamlet.

Lots of beautiful Minahs then.

No one knew about tudungs then.

As far as religion was concerned they were the most devout.

The Chinese in our village greatly outnumbered the kind and friendly Malays.

Instead of avenging on the Chinese killed elsewhere, our kampong Chinese elders got-togather and protected the minority Malays of our village.

Every day the azaan (cry of the muezzin from the village mosque) ) was heard.

The Malays here carried on with their lives.

No one was injured.

All of them got closer to one an other because of such an episode.

Sadly, later kampongs were torn down.

All of us were re-settled.

Now we have racial quotas in HDB flats.

If only we were still togather, we would'nt have people like Jah-rastafar-1 trying to incite us to go against the Malays.

I repeat the Malays are truly a gracious race.

"If only we had time to be closer rather then being dispersed".

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Singapore Riots of 1964 was a nightmare.

It was known as the Kampong Soopoo Incident just opposite the Kallang Gasworks (now known as Padang Jeringau)

I was then living in a Chinese kampung.

We had a Malay hamlet on the fringe of our village.

The kampong "fire-station" was close to this lovely clean and well-swept Malay hamlet.

Lots of beautiful Minahs then.

No one knew about tudungs then.

As far as religion was concerned they were the most devout.

Instead of avenging on the Chinese killed elsewhere, our kampong Chinese elders got-togather and protected the minority Malays of our village.

Every day the azaan (cry of the muezzin from the village mosque) ) was heard.

The Malays here carried on with their lives.

No one was injured.

All of them got closer to one an other because of such an episode.

Sadly, later kampongs were torn down.

All of us were re-settled.

Now we have racial quotas in HDB flats.

If only we were still togather, we would'nt have people like Jah-rastafar-1 trying to incite us to go against the Malays.

I repeat the Malays are truly a gracious race.

"If only we had time to be closer rather then being dispersed".

Bro ok i concur with you the malays are truly gracious but here's the thing about your story. It was the chinese in your story that protected the malays in this case and didn't avenge the deaths of chinese elsewhere like you put it. Therefore don't you find it funny that you say the malays are a gracious race when in this case the race that is truly gracious are the chinese that didn't seek revenge and allowed the malays to practice their religion freely?

You need to make sense correct? If you want to showcase one side as gracious shouldn't you make examples of the graciousness of that side instead of giving examples of the other side being gracious? So do you have any stories of malay village protecting a small chinese hamlet and didn't try to take revenge?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wats the point of responding to you Jah? your objective is to ridicule everytime somebody try to say something positive about the malays
my advice for all is just stay silent - no point in engaging you cos you never make any sense - we know wat your intentions are
lets just say you win, if thats wat you want to hear ..

I'm not seriously i'm not. I'm writing according to the facts. The story of the riots was written like that. Look at how kohliantype wrote and what i responded to him. I make a lot of sense. Seriously i believe this has to be down to the chinese, how should i put it, mutual dislike of one another. I remember reading somewhere on how during ww2 when japan was creating chaos in china some forummer in here mentioned the chinese actually were more interested in fighting one another rather than uniting and fighting against the japs or something to that effect. It was so plain obvious the japs were the enemy but the chinese hated one another so much even if you had pointed it out straight to them they would probably react like kohliantye and say the japs are civilized and so on while chinese were getting killed by them.

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dunno wat's the pt of this thread, cos we oso dunno the race of the policemen. Suppose he was Malay? in those days, most policemen were malays. then wat? if chinese, so what? You know in the Hock Lee bus riots, a Chinese detective corporal was set on fire by Chinese student and workers rioting. Then how? Do we say it's oso Malays' fault?

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why has this thread ended up in the rubbish heap??? Who's responsible?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dunno wat's the pt of this thread, cos we oso dunno the race of the policemen. Suppose he was Malay? in those days, most policemen were malays. then wat? if chinese, so what? You know in the Hock Lee bus riots, a Chinese detective corporal was set on fire by Chinese student and workers rioting. Then how? Do we say it's oso Malays' fault?

Well these riots were the racial riots. Ok yes let's suppose it's a malay policeman how come it ends up malays fighting chinese then? Since the policeman was most likely a malay. What does this tell you then? That they simply took advantage of the violence to attack chinese ppl. Hock lee riots nothing to do with malays. Seriously are you doing this on purpose or do you really not see the pt.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
But this thread isn't rubbish. It's discussing an extremely relevant issue.

I did the trashing. If you do not mind the original folder to be flooded with racial abuse threads, then I will not thrash them next time. I don't see any constructive outcome except for the purpose of stirring another round of racial abuse. This is my opinion. But you are the boss. If you are ok with it, I am ok with it. This is how I do my work in the forum :biggrin:

bullfrog

Alfrescian
Loyal
You had said,
Look at how it was the malays that started it simply cos of a policeman's orders.
Tell me honestly, didnt yr first presumption was that it was a chinese policeman? I'm just saying that in a riot prone situation, anybody that gets in the way is trouble, be he Chinese or malay. It has nothing to do with the race. chinese can kill chinese and malays can also kill Malays. look at KL now - Malays fighting malays.

Well these riots were the racial riots. Ok yes let's suppose it's a malay policeman how come it ends up malays fighting chinese then? Since the policeman was most likely a malay. What does this tell you then? That they simply took advantage of the violence to attack chinese ppl. Hock lee riots nothing to do with malays. Seriously are you doing this on purpose or do you really not see the pt.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You had said, Tell me honestly, didnt yr first presumption was that it was a chinese policeman? I'm just saying that in a riot prone situation, anybody that gets in the way is trouble, be he Chinese or malay. It has nothing to do with the race. chinese can kill chinese and malays can also kill Malays. look at KL now - Malays fighting malays.

Actually i didnt think on the policeman at all. I was totally focused in the fact that they would riot simply for being told to fall back in line. You mentioned he might be malay due to that reasoning u gave so this made me wonder they wouldn't even listen to an authority figure from their own race and used that small incident to create chaos and even ended up fighting chinese. That is all

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I repeat the Malays are truly a gracious race..

Abang ( if ur a Malay). Have u never heard of Kampong Melayu? Kampong Ubi? Why u didnt highlight those area to Res Racist?

While i do agree tat in area where theres more Chinese, latter may protect the minorities i.e. Malays and Indians.

Likewise in area where theres majority Malays, latter also protect the Chinese and Indians during '64 riots. I grew up in kampong Ubi area. Jalan Kasturi, Jalan Tebu. So its only natural the majority race will protect the minority race. So no one race is perfect!

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Abang ( if ur a Malay). Have u never heard of Kampong Melayu? Kampong Ubi? Why u didnt highlight those area to Res Racist?

While i do agree tat in area where theres more Chinese, latter may protect the minorities i.e. Malays and Indians.

Likewise in area where theres majority Malays, latter also protect the Chinese and Indians during '64 riots. I grew up in kampong Ubi area. Jalan Kasturi, Jalan Tebu. So its only natural the majority race will protect the minority race. So no one race is perfect!

Adek, (I am a human being just like you and the rest)

I am very familiar with Kampong Melayu, which was then close to what is Jalan Tenaga.

One of my Malay classmates stayed there. He later joined the Airport Police and then later was absorbed into the SPF.

It was a Registered Malay Settlement with a huge sign pasted at the entrance from Jalan Ubi (MALAY SETTLEMENT).

It went all the way to the quarries and deep pools at the end of Jalan Perwira.

There was a bus terminus at the end of Jalan Perwira.

Quaint and beautiful Malay kampong houses dotted the tree-lined road. Chickens roam wild.

Not that far off was the Chai Chee and Peng Ghee Road Chinese settlements and Kampong Kembangan.

I am sure you will recall the New Central Cinema and Uttamram Sata Clinic.

I watched a movie entitled, "KHARTOUM" at New Central Cinema.

The jagas daughters (Punjabi dames) were beautiful and spoke fluent Hokkien and Malay.

Then was Jalan Sayur. Many different races living togather with Malays.

As we head towards the direction of Paya Lebar Airport fencing of Jalan Hong Keng, we will have to pass the former Barek Hitam (Black Barracks) of the Singapore Police Reserve Unit.

This led us back to Jalan Ang Teng opposite Lorong Tai Seng, the Kiu Ong Yah Chinese Temple and Hong San School.

An old Bhai-susu kept milking cows here and sold the milk adulterated with water to the kampong folks. We used to disturb him and he would chase us with his loose sarong.

The month long Puasa month was an occassion we kids never wanted to miss.

We rode our hired bicycle (20 cents per day) and visited these areas during buka puasa for delicious makan and kueh-kueh.

None of the ma'ciks viewed us differently. They accepted us as humans and showered love on us.

I fondly remember the beautiful attap-roofed suraus where our friends practised their Quran Reading.

I attended many Circumcision Ceremonies of my friends who had to walk around with chopsticks in their loose pants. Very funny sight!!!

Those were the days when elderly Malay ladies used to chew tobacco. Tudung was unheard of in those days but most kampong girls were deeply religious and remained chaste till their marriage.

Thus, I have always viewed the Malays as a wonderful, gracious and charitable community. Is this my fault?

Coming back to your view of majority protecting the minority.

I totally agree with you. This was truly the case then.

As I come to a ripe age today, I am a little surprised that, besides the infamous Maria Hertogh or Hadra Riots of 1950 during the British era, all other major riots occured only when Malaya and Singapore were given independence and self-government, respectively.

What is the reason only History will tell. Those were the good old days when we lived and grew in peace and harmony with one another

PEACE BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TOO.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Adek, (I am a human being just like you and the rest) Yes, we are not perfect. But tat troll tink otherwise

I am very familiar with Kampong Melayu, which was then close to what is Jalan Tenaga. U are right

One of my Malay classmates stayed there. He later joined the Airport Police and then later was absorbed into the SPF.

It was a Registered Malay Settlement with a huge sign pasted at the entrance from Jalan Ubi (MALAY SETTLEMENT). I am very sure tat troll with so much IQ are well aware of this place.

It went all the way to the quarries and deep pools at the end of Jalan Perwira.

There was a bus terminus at the end of Jalan Perwira. Yes, if not mistaken service 50, 51, 52

Quaint and beautiful Malay kampong houses dotted the tree-lined road. Chickens roam wild. Yes, got alot of Malay and couple of Chinese friends tere too.

Not that far off was the Chai Chee and Peng Ghee Road Chinese settlements and Kampong Kembangan.

I am sure you will recall the New Central Cinema and Uttamram Sata Clinic. The former I do remember. Still a kid then. Still remember I watched some Chinese movies too. The Assassin by Wang Yu.:smile:

I watched a movie entitled, "KHARTOUM" at New Central Cinema. Cant remember. Maybe havent born.

The jagas daughters (Punjabi dames) were beautiful and spoke fluent Hokkien and Malay. I heard tat too fm my dad.

Then was Jalan Sayur. Many different races living togather with Malays. Yes. No complain abt azan or morning fm surau/mosque. No complain abt Chinese holding their wake, burning offerings etc juz next to any Malay houses

As we head towards the direction of Paya Lebar Airport fencing of Jalan Hong Keng, we will have to pass the former Barek Hitam (Black Barracks) of the Singapore Police Reserve Unit. Tat one cant remember

This led us back to Jalan Ang Teng opposite Lorong Tai Seng, the Kiu Ong Yah Chinese Temple and Hong San School. Aaahh...tis one can remember abit. Teres tis temple every year held a procession whereby few devotees holding on to a sedan chair which rock to and fro. The devotees believe their god is sitting on it. Sometime we are so scare when the sedan heading towards us. But very interesting procession I must say.

An old Bhai-susu kept milking cows here and sold the milk adulterated with water to the kampong folks. We used to disturb him and he would chase us with his loose sarong. Yes, I knew one at jalan mangga.

The month long Puasa month was an occassion we kids never wanted to miss. Yes, Chinese love the occasion too cos we share our goodies with every races. When LNY arrived, we oso makan their cookies..

We rode our hired bicycle (20 cents per day) and visited these areas during buka puasa for delicious makan and kueh-kueh. U should also highlight to tat troll even up to this present age some Chinese do come and collect "bubur mesjid" fm neighbouring Mosques. Ever asked them and they told me the bubur taste delicious. Do u believe if i tell u this particular Chinese drove Merz? Though the porridge are meant for the poor, we still distribute to everyone. Rich or poor. So long tere are stocks available.

None of the ma'ciks viewed us differently. They accepted us as humans and showered love on us. How come tis one tat troll never comment on it?

I fondly remember the beautiful attap-roofed suraus where our friends practised their Quran Reading. If i turn on the prayer call fm my hifi set, tat troll would be the first one to complain. Wat more pracitising Quran reading next to his "bungalow"?:rolleyes: Correction. He have no malay neighbours. :rolleyes:

I attended many Circumcision Ceremonies of my friends who had to walk around with chopsticks in their loose pants. Very funny sight!!!

Those were the days when elderly Malay ladies used to chew tobacco. Tudung was unheard of in those days but most kampong girls were deeply religious and remained chaste till their marriage. Wats wrong if they wearing tudung nowadays?

Thus, I have always viewed the Malays as a wonderful, gracious and charitable community. Is this my fault? Is not ur fault. So long u are sincere abt ur opinions, tat matters.

Coming back to your view of majority protecting the minority.

I totally agree with you. This was truly the case then. Thank you

As I come to a ripe age today, I am a little surprised that, besides the infamous Maria Hertogh or Hadra Riots of 1950 during the British era, all other major riots occured only when Malaya and Singapore were given independence and self-government, respectively. Of course we know the reasons. But its best we left it as it is.

What is the reason only History will tell. Those were the good old days when we lived and grew in peace and harmony with one another. Yes, people like tat troll were unheard of.

PEACE BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TOO. Sama sama, bro

I am very sure tat troll rather have those FT flooded in red dot than having Malays as his neighbours or friends. Tell tat toll his wish already granted as we witness them every where in red dot nowadays.