• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Parents are very old.. Relatives worried ...

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
As above..

my parents are both aged 73 and 70. Therefore, my relatives have come to ask if my parents would have any misfortune from medical problems to pass on.. what would i have to do if i bring them over to JB?

I am the only child, therefore i have say over these...

My idea was just to stay there around 6 years and move back to SG.. after i have saved enough and my kid is in Primary One.
My relatives are just worried that something my happens to my parents if i were to stay in JB..

any idea what can i do to make them convince that my parents are being taken good care of?

Seriously, i dont know what to do if any of my parent were to pass on if i were in JB.
what is the procedure like?
Is there any undertaker company that repatriate the dead body to Singapore?!

unlike singapore, we just have to arrange those that take care of 红白喜事's company to set up a at the void deck and we can have mourning over there..

For Medical wise, i am not so worried as Columbine Asia Hospital is just nearby.. therefore, more afraid of the "pass on" part..

:*:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
As above..

my parents are both aged 73 and 70. Therefore, my relatives have come to ask if my parents would have any misfortune from medical problems to pass on.. what would i have to do if i bring them over to JB?

My idea was just to stay there around 6 years and move back to SG.. after i have saved enough and my kid is in Primary One.
My relatives are just worried that something my happens to my parents if i were to stay in JB..

any idea what can i do to make them convince that my parents are being taken good care of?

Seriously, i dont know what to do if any of my parent were to pass on if i were in JB.

unlike singapore, we just have to arrange those that take care of 红白喜事's company to set up a at the void deck and we can have mourning over there..

For Medical wise, i am not so worried as Columbine Asia Hospital is just nearby.. therefore, more afraid of the "pass on" part..

If you are not afraid of the medical part, what does your relative have got to do with the 'pass on' part? More convenient for them to come for the wake I suppose?

I heard that in JB many have the wake at home. The same as people living in landed properties in Singapore, they have their wake at home too. As for the takers part, I believe there would be people in this business in JB as well. And also I believe their columbarian could be freehold instead of 30 years?(I not sure about this though)

Sorry. Can't help you much on this. I suggest you make some enquries about these too.

:smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
As above..

Bro LGlab,

This is your parents and your business. Your relatives may mean well but you don't need to convince them as long as you and your parents are happy.

There are thousands of businesses here catering to the dead, this is just one of them:
http://johorbiz.com/my_company_details.asp?did=20409

You can contact SG undertaker as well as they also have contacts in MY given that there are regular exchanges of the deceased coffins between both countries.
http://www.casketfairprice.com/faqlinks.htm

JB is not a place where you need to take a plane to get there or a plane to bring back the deceased, yets its a bit more hassle but its definitely not something to worry about.

There are so many options. I understand that burial is limited to citizens but cremation, etc can be done.

If cremation is chosen, i understand one can apply to put it here or just bring along the cremated remains, submit the death certificate to the
SG authorities. Of course, depending on the death rites, one may have to bring along other things when bringing the ashes back to SG.

In fact, i am surprised to see people thinking of dying before they even started thinking of living here. I know of lots of relatives who were
unhappy we were moving out here and asked all kinds of such nonsensical questions (some well meaning). Some really out of concern while
others were only trying to slow you down and hope you stay with them until the end. Crab bucket mentality (they cannot get out, they don't
wish to see others get out too)

Lots of wake and undertaking services, the guys will be very able to advise you. Let them know that people do die in MY all the time be it old age, accident, etc so there are already existing services catering and taking care of this if they want to be buried back in SG or better yet if buried here.

There are already tens of thousands of people living here so if it was really so bad, everyone would have already gone back.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
If you are not afraid of the medical part, what does your relative have got to do with the 'pass on' part? More convenient for them to come for the wake I suppose?

I heard that in JB many have the wake at home. The same as people living in landed properties in Singapore, they have their wake at home too. As for the takers part, I believe there would be people in this business in JB as well. And also I believe their columbarian could be freehold instead of 30 years?(I not sure about this though)

Sorry. Can't help you much on this. I suggest you make some enquries about these too.

:smile:

Some relatives would not want to travel in case the funeral stuff is done here. Yet again, more funny questions from relatives like that would be:
Should the white gold money be paid in SG or RM? If i buy paper money for the dead from SG and burn it here, would they receive it in RM or SG?

Yes agree, the burial stuff done here is more professional too it seems. Its freehold for burial, etc.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some relatives would not want to travel in case the funeral stuff is done here. Yet again, more funny questions from relatives like that would be:
Should the white gold money be paid in SG or RM? If i buy paper money for the dead from SG and burn it here, would they receive it in RM or SG?

Yes agree, the burial stuff done here is more professional too it seems. Its freehold for burial, etc.

I really can't come to terms with the colunmbrariam turning 30 years lease instead of being freehold. What to do if all decendents have changed religion when the 30 years lease is up for renewal? Worst if immediate decendents have passed on as well? Who would want to pay to extend another 30 years for you?

The dead is already dead....can't we just leave them in peace?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I really can't come to terms with the colunmbrariam turning 30 years lease instead of being freehold. What to do if all decendents have changed religion when the 30 years lease is up for renewal? Worst if immediate decendents have passed on as well? Who would want to pay to extend another 30 years for you?

The dead is already dead....can't we just leave them in peace?

Agree, its sad but everything in Singapore is a commodity and can be sacrificed when the time comes even historical buildings, much less the dead.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal

You can also tell them SGD bigger so they should get from SG lah. If the decease want RM they can change from netherworld exchange! :biggrin:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As above..

Hi LGLab,

Cherish the remaining years they have to the fullest and do the simple things which make them happy.
It's good to be prepared with more knowledge but not to the extent of worrying too much about every single thing in life and become stressed out.
My dad is 72 but I don't worry about such thing at all. This is something that every single person in this world has to face. If everyone else can settle it, I don't see why I have to worry about it.
Life is short, take it as a holiday on earth, not a chore.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Juz now hubby said since they are so worried might as well ask them to take care lor... Then they will have more to worry about.... LOL! :biggrin:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys, thanks for the great advise.

i just do not want to make a wrong decision and regret for life..
because it is due to me that we have this decision to move to JB..
if anything that is gonna be wrong with the 2 elder, they gonna point fingers at my back..
telling me "NOT TO GO, u still GO" , blah blah blah, the rest continue..

i hope u all get what i meant..

But i would still decide to move on, cus the house is already bought. and after calculation, this is indeed a good plan, just tough on me having to come to singapore to work daily. but i can have a great weekend over there, earning SGD and spending MYR is indeed very nice..

anyway, thanks guys for the support..

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dont take heart, bro. What u did was commendable and admirable. :smile:Despite what u went thru , u are still prepare to face adversity and made a judgement based on what u thought was best for u and ur aged parents. Not many people are able to make that kind of decision knowing the controversy that u may face in future. I put my hat off to u and God Bless u.:smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi guys, thanks for the great advise.

i just do not want to make a wrong decision and regret for life..
because it is due to me that we have this decision to move to JB..
if anything that is gonna be wrong with the 2 elder, they gonna point fingers at my back..
telling me "NOT TO GO, u still GO" , blah blah blah, the rest continue..

i hope u all get what i meant..

But i would still decide to move on, cus the house is already bought. and after calculation, this is indeed a good plan, just tough on me having to come to singapore to work daily. but i can have a great weekend over there, earning SGD and spending MYR is indeed very nice..

anyway, thanks guys for the support..

When i went out here 90% of friends and relatives basically wrote me off as reckless, crazy, poor, etc.
Now almost 80% of my friends and family are here or have a stake in Iskandar.

You can never please everyone no matter how hard you try. You did not point a gun to anyones head
to force them here, your folks came of their own accord as they trusted you as well as their own eyes.

I was actually one of the 90% back then, warning my sisters not to go to Johor to pump petrol, etc.
Cross causeway, sure die, etc. How things have changed. Once you made up your plans and your mind,
don't give up. There will always be doubts, there are no handbooks in life.

You have also joined at a good time. :wink:

Agree with bro whoami and sis Cathy, especially the parts about not taking it to heart and if they care
so much, why not they take care instead? Lots of people always want to see people fail unfortunately.

Living your life happily is the best proof to yourself and your parents that your choice was right. It could
have been other countries as well as we always need to realise we have options. I am proud of you for
taking care of your parents, despite most of us being highly education, many have forgotten to be good
to their parents. I am still learning every day as i keep thinking of ways to pay them back.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
just noticed that my relative has bought a place at Phrase 6 at Nusa Idaman..

my big aunt 3rd son has done so.. therefore, i think this can give me more support of me going there to stay now :o

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
just noticed that my relative has bought a place at Phrase 6 at Nusa Idaman..

my big aunt 3rd son has done so.. therefore, i think this can give me more support of me going there to stay now :o

Good for you, when in doubt, listen to Chen Lei's songs. Especially the one where he tells you for every person that tells you something is good, someone will tell you its bad.
If you wait and listen for everyones opinions, you might even find out in the end that some of those who told you it was bad, insisted that it was bad already went out
and bought 2!

Thats why its good to temper your enthusiasm but always make up your own mind after due dilligence, doing a pilot test by renting or getting a hotel room for a week or so to
live around the taman you want, then see if the folks are ok. In your case though, you are already way past all that. :smile:

Last edited:

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good for you, when in doubt, listen to Chen Lei's songs. Especially the one where he tells you for every person that tells you something is good, someone will tell you its bad.
If you wait and listen for everyones opinions, you might even find out in the end that some of those who told you it was bad, insisted that it was bad already went out
and bought 2!

Thats why its good to temper your enthusiasm but always make up your own mind after due dilligence, doing a pilot test by renting or getting a hotel room for a week or so to
live around the taman you want, then see if the folks are ok. In your case though, you are already way past all that. :smile:

Hi, thanks! .. yeah I am way past that.. already at my last phrase.. of transferring the title over to my mum.
Lawyer chasing for me to make my last bit of payment and they say might be able to get the place earlier than mid of May. If not latest mid of May..

My relatives had gone 扫墓 with me, then we came to talk about it.
He told that his father had bought a place at Nusa Idaman Phrase 6, then I am like, WOW we are pretty near..
He mentioned that he got it for only 300k RM..

His mum is a malaysian and had gone back to terengganu malaysia for 2 years already..
This nusa idaman place is just bought so can travel to sg easier..