• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buying a property Leasehold or freehold better??

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
1)Most freehold property are landed property, but very prone for burglary because of gate not totally covered. Most condos are now leasehold and also got freeholds, for a Singaporean who is new to JB, I think getting a condo is better and will have peace of mind of burglary.

What will happen when the lease expires in 99 years?? some say can extend lease. It is impossible they will take back the land cos
Malaysia Got nothing but land. If en-bloc, one will get back the market price of condo unit???

2) I like to ask all sifus - how to buy and own a malaysian car and how to convert my driving license from singapore to malaysian??
I saw in another thread, some bro say they drive without converting, but i dare not do that! Unless it won't land me into trouble.

I will be joining u guys in JB!!! Sold my flat here but can't buy another have no choice but to buy in JB!
calculate back its more worthy to buy in JB, whether freehold or leasehold I really dun mind. As long as i like the place!

Maybe one day we can meet up for coffee or supper in future!!!!

Regards,

Dave

alleyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
1)Most freehold property are landed property, but very prone for burglary because of gate not totally covered. Most condos are now leasehold and also got freeholds, for a Singaporean who is new to JB, I think getting a condo is better and will have peace of mind of burglary.

What will happen when the lease expires in 99 years?? some say can extend lease. It is impossible they will take back the land cos
Malaysia Got nothing but land. If en-bloc, one will get back the market price of condo unit???

2) I like to ask all sifus - how to buy and own a malaysian car and how to convert my driving license from singapore to malaysian??
I saw in another thread, some bro say they drive without converting, but i dare not do that! Unless it won't land me into trouble.

I will be joining u guys in JB!!! Sold my flat here but can't buy another have no choice but to buy in JB!
calculate back its more worthy to buy in JB, whether freehold or leasehold I really dun mind. As long as i like the place!

Regards,

Dave

A bold move there, indeed!

Happy for u.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dave, yes to your query on the lease renewal. There is a formula.

You can get international license in Sg, and drive in my.

Welcome to join the JB family :smile:

Regards,

Dave

gskalra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to drive Malaysian Cars in KL all the time with my Singaporean Licence. Was there for 2.5 years, never had an issue.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks for answering all my questions. I paid for a unit as booking fee.....
But the agent told me I have to pay 1% from 21days when I ask them to try loan for me, so on 5 march I have to come out RM 54k and RM1k for lawyer fee and 1% agent fee and let the lawyer keep the money 1st while they apply dunno wat permit so I can buy house in JB, is this what they suppose to do?? Why agent fee not pay after everything settled??? Why must pay so much money upfront while they apply for permit to buy?? Singapore only pay $1000 for booking fee or option fee, then dunno 21 days then pay $1k to $5k to exercise option. Malaysia have to come out so much money??? They say if permit not approve they will give back the RM54k, is that true??
My house in Singapore not yet 1st appointment, haven't get money from HBD where got so much to give them???

Initially I tot I can downgrade from 5 room to 3 or 4 room HDb flat, but my 5 room sold but all the banks dun want to loan, HDB also dun want to loan. Never mind I can stay JB rite??? But now got problem with the RM 54k??
Why the system there so strange one?? Maybe I try tell the seller I get money from HDB then pay whatever needed!

Actually I tot can take my time to get this particular unit which me and my wife and my kids like very much!!!
Agent call last week say someone also interested, so I also kancheong already!!!

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to drive Malaysian Cars in KL all the time with my Singaporean Licence. Was there for 2.5 years, never had an issue.

Bro can I ask of u, must I pay cash for the car or can loan ? How much loan? Can I use my name to register??

Agent told me buy house in Malaysia dun need MM2H rite???

Thks for replying to me -- a new bird!!!!

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro can I ask of u, must I pay cash for the car or can loan ? How much loan? Can I use my name to register??

Bro wuqi mentioned tat we can obtain a car loan perhaps 70%.
Do a search, a lot has been mentioned in e main thread. Tats y not many respond to u.
Which unit u booked??

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the agent told me I have to pay 1% from 21days when I ask them to try loan for me, so on 5 march I have to come out RM 54k and RM1k for lawyer fee and 1% agent fee and let the lawyer keep the money 1st while they apply dunno wat permit so I can buy house in JB, is this what they suppose to do?? Why agent fee not pay after everything settled??? Why must pay so much money upfront while they apply for permit to buy?? Singapore only pay $1000 for booking fee or option fee, then dunno 21 days then pay $1k to $5k to exercise option. Malaysia have to come out so much money??? They say if permit not approve they will give back the RM54k, is that true??
My house in Singapore not yet 1st appointment, haven't get money from HBD where got so much to give them???

Initially I tot I can downgrade from 5 room to 3 or 4 room HDb flat, but my 5 room sold but all the banks dun want to loan, HDB also dun want to loan. Never mind I can stay JB rite??? But now got problem with the RM 54k??
Why the system there so strange one?? Maybe I try tell the seller I get money from HDB then pay whatever needed!

Actually I tot can take my time to get this particular unit which me and my wife and my kids like very much!!!
Agent call last week say someone also interested, so I also kancheong already!!!

In my case, agent also asked me to pay balance 9% (10% minus 1% earnest deposit fee) when going to lawyer's office to sign S&P, and the owner wanted that 9% (about RM57k) in cash. So I had to walk down Jalan Wong Ah Fook carrying that amount on me. Frightening. Turns out seller didn't know that he could deposit a cheque with no issues asked so long as he produced a copy of the S7P.

Anyway, my case was like yours in that stated in my S&P was that if State Approval not granted, the money will be returned to me. Then I found out from the lawyer that actually, the usual practice is to NOT pay the balance until state approval is granted. In my case I didn't know before paying, which is why I agreed to pay the 50+k upon signing of S&P.

Theoretically, the clause about money being refunded protects you, but money once out can be risky. You got lawyer already? Acting strictly for you? If got call them to confirm.

But nothing happened for me though, transaction was smooth. FYI, for me and another bro here who bought resale about the same time (around Nov/Dec last year, state approval took exactly 5 weeks).

gskalra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do a search, a lot has been mentioned in e main thread. Tats y not many respond to u.
Which unit u booked??

Hi Bro Arrowana88,

Like Crystal and Wuqi said, you can get a loan on your car. Just have to show proof of residency, some bills and certain other paperwork.
I had relatives in Malaysia, so they arranged it for me, whilst I was studying in Monash.

As for the MM2H, it does have some good perks but its not necessary to have, to buy a house in Malaysia.
I remember reading in one of the recent pages, that someone is compiling all the info into a website to make it easier to read.
Should be somewhere in the last 20 pages of Living In JB 2.

Hope that helps. All the best mate.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my case, agent also asked me to pay balance 9% (10% minus 1% earnest deposit fee) when going to lawyer's office to sign S&P, and the owner wanted that 9% (about RM57k) in cash. So I had to walk down Jalan Wong Ah Fook carrying that amount on me. Frightening. Turns out seller didn't know that he could deposit a cheque with no issues asked so long as he produced a copy of the S7P.

Anyway, my case was like yours in that stated in my S&P was that if State Approval not granted, the money will be returned to me. Then I found out from the lawyer that actually, the usual practice is to NOT pay the balance until state approval is granted. In my case I didn't know before paying, which is why I agreed to pay the 50+k upon signing of S&P.

Theoretically, the clause about money being refunded protects you, but money once out can be risky. You got lawyer already? Acting strictly for you? If got call them to confirm.

But nothing happened for me though, transaction was smooth. FYI, for me and another bro here who bought resale about the same time (around Nov/Dec last year, state approval took exactly 5 weeks).

Thks bros for all the very vital facts which I think only here can get!!! Hahaha.
All u guys very helpful. I very stupid! Should come in this forum so I won't buy in other country which makes me so inconvenient and broked!

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Arrowana88,

Like Crystal and Wuqi said, you can get a loan on your car. Just have to show proof of residency, some bills and certain other paperwork.
I had relatives in Malaysia, so they arranged it for me, whilst I was studying in Monash.

As for the MM2H, it does have some good perks but its not necessary to have, to buy a house in Malaysia.
I remember reading in one of the recent pages, that someone is compiling all the info into a website to make it easier to read.

Thks bro is infor is good!!

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which unit u booked??

Hi sis, I just want to double confirm cos my agent said can only loan till 50% .

I dun even know how much the car cost. Haven't go see any car yet. Got to settle house 1st. Step by step!!

I am getting a condo in Perling area. It's a 3 storey penthouse . Very nice! 5 bedrooms 3 toilets.

Really find this kind of unit and the price in sinkapore!! Really happy if everything goes smoothly for the transaction!

I am new here so hope to know more ppl here! Very blur, I think I need a GPS in JB. Cos only recently I tot of moving to JB. Sinkapore dun want me so I go Malaysia la!!!!

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Arrowana88,

Thks bro for the infor. I search -living in JB 2 page 1 to 20 and 21 can't find. Soooo many pages I almost faint.....

U guys flood the living in JB threads huh???! OMG 800 pages ----in living in JB 1 - 1st time see so many pages!!!

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thks bro for sharing. Appreciate that.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which unit u booked??

Thks sis for the infor. My agent told me can only loan 50% . Havent see any car yet dun know how much they cost. Which car to buy, buy new or used ones??
Appreciate those who replied..

I booked a penthouse condo in Perling. 3 tier security. Very safe. Surroundings many houses also.
Need to get a GPS, long time didn't travel Malaysia already!!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Arowana,

Loanswise you can definitely get 70%, if 50% unless you are deemed a higher risk or its one of those banks that are very fearful of foreigners.
I find that banks like HLB, Public bank have much better risk appetite. Avoid banks like Ambank as they are very risk adverse.

You can definitely drive here with you SG license but to be 100% sure for the EXTREME risk adverse amongst us, just get the international license from Singapore (get it from SG, its cheaper)

The crime rate and pros/cpms for condo versus landed is open for discussion but thats for another topic. No place is 100% safe these days, not even in SG. Most people still don't know or don't believe the number of housebreakings in SG and the impact of that on me was pretty serious especially taking into account the size of the island.

MM2H not a must, you can just get MACS for ease of travelling in and out of SG (where they scan your passport, don't require whitecard and VISA stamps on your passport and whitecard)

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thks sis for the infor. My agent told me can only loan 50% . Havent see any car yet dun know how much they cost. Which car to buy, buy new or used ones??
Appreciate those who replied..

I booked a penthouse condo in Perling. 3 tier security. Very safe. Surroundings many houses also.
Need to get a GPS, long time didn't travel Malaysia already!!

Good for you, i know about the 70% car loan because thats what i got. I know about 85% housing loan because thats what i got too. One thing i learnt, listen to those who have been here and done that. Not those people just based on hearsay where in the end they get nothing done and never even been to Johore. (No pork allowed, cannot buy house, own shop, own cars.) Even today, got someone who still thinks Pelangi is in 2nd link area and told me, you go back home, no need to pass through Pelangi meh?? I just smile every time i listen to such things, no point getting high blood from talking to people like that.

You can go to their www.carlist.com.my website to check, my 2 cents worth would be that its better to buy from car dealers though they will cost more but they are more reputable.

Folks like Carwins and Akrr are top on my list as Carwins is more expensive but they really give you a very comprehensive warranty. Their cars are
also in better shape compared to others. Akrr sells both new and old and even allows trade in to get the new car you want.

You can get a pretty ok new car for about 40k RM (new Proton) or even just get a used but decent running car for 20k or even less. I have seen
cars available for point A to point B that is still in ok shape for 5k RM when i was helping out a friend (thats 1 year ago) He spent about 2k to fix
up the car to his taste and minor changes + repairs and very happy here in Johore so far. For car maintenance, i noticed that unlike in SG, any car
repairs exceeding 500 RM is considered very expensive for locals thats why cost of repair is always an important factor to look into when buying/selling a car.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi sis, I just want to double confirm cos my agent said can only loan till 50% .

I dun even know how much the car cost. Haven't go see any car yet. Got to settle house 1st. Step by step!!

I am getting a condo in Perling area. It's a 3 storey penthouse . Very nice! 5 bedrooms 3 toilets.

Really find this kind of unit and the price in sinkapore!! Really happy if everything goes smoothly for the transaction!

I am new here so hope to know more ppl here! Very blur, I think I need a GPS in JB. Cos only recently I tot of moving to JB. Sinkapore dun want me so I go Malaysia la!!!!

I think I have seen the ad for this condo. Is it a leasehold property?

Congrats on finding the one that fits your requirements. :smile:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good for you, i know about the 70% car loan because thats what i got. I know about 85% housing loan because thats what i got too. One thing i learnt, listen to those who have been here and done that. Not those people just based on hearsay where in the end they get nothing done and never even been to Johore. (No pork allowed, cannot buy house, own shop, own cars.) Even today, got someone who still thinks Pelangi is in 2nd link area and told me, you go back home, no need to pass through Pelangi meh?? I just smile every time i listen to such things, no point getting high blood from talking to people like that.

You can go to their www.carlist.com.my website to check, my 2 cents worth would be that its better to buy from car dealers though they will cost more but they are more reputable.

Folks like Carwins and Akrr are top on my list as Carwins is more expensive but they really give you a very comprehensive warranty. Their cars are
also in better shape compared to others. Akrr sells both new and old and even allows trade in to get the new car you want.

You can get a pretty ok new car for about 40k RM (new Proton) or even just get a used but decent running car for 20k or even less. I have seen
cars available for point A to point B that is still in ok shape for 5k RM when i was helping out a friend (thats 1 year ago) He spent about 2k to fix
up the car to his taste and minor changes + repairs and very happy here in Johore so far. For car maintenance, i noticed that unlike in SG, any car
repairs exceeding 500 RM is considered very expensive for locals thats why cost of repair is always an important factor to look into when buying/selling a car.

Wow!!!! Thks bro wuqi for the precious infor, 40 k RM to buy a brand new car!!!! WOW!!! I come to the right place!!!! Thank God HDB dun allow me to buy house in sinkapore so I dun have to pay until like crazy,pay this pay that!headache!!!

Malaysia is very friendly place for us even give us MACs for easy travel. Sometimes u have u respect all those Muslim ppl, they r good ppl , not as wat LKY who is the real devil!! Criticise Malaysia of this and that, i can see the difference when I go Malaysia with my family!!! I feel very relax and happy!!! Back to sinkapore, wow, the stress comes to u all the time!!!
When going out custom scared they check this check that, -- @last time I got caught buying extra cigarettes, only sinkapore do that! ... I ask them why can't bring, they say look at the content of nicotin .... Wat a bulls....
My agent told me my loan going to be approved. I am happy to move to my 3 level penthouse with 5 bedrooms and 3 toilets , and u guys know what???? Cost lesser than a 3 room flat in sinkapore!!!!! I thinking of selling all other property in other country if possible and buy more units in JB like some guys here!!!!

Last edited:

gskalra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks bro for the infor. I search -living in JB 2 page 1 to 20 and 21 can't find. Soooo many pages I almost faint.....

U guys flood the living in JB threads huh???! OMG 800 pages ----in living in JB 1 - 1st time see so many pages!!!

Haha Bro, i went through all the pages, started in Nov, finished in Jan. I saw it in JB2... i think its livinginjb.info or something..
somebody is taking the time to compile it.