• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rubbish Heap

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lady Iron Chef aka Brad is that chao ah qua who got shamed for bringing in a whole bunch of monkey friends along when he went for food tasting review at a restaurant right?

Brad-Lau.jpg

A young food blogger who demanded that he and his three companions be given free meals at an upscale restaurant in the Joo Chiat area has sparked a huge furore online.

The group of four had walked into Private Affairs, a small but exclusive eatery in Joo Chiat, for its Sunday champagne brunch promotion that costs S$68++ per person.

The blogger in question, Brad Lau, who runs a food blog called Ladyironchef, had informed the management on Friday that he would be coming down to review the Sunday Brunch promotion.

On the day itself, he and his partner came down at about 1.30pm, followed by his two other companions, each of whom came down half an hour apart.

The four of them had brunch until 4.30pm, even when the restaurant’s official brunch hours was from 11.30 am to 3.30pm. Brad and his partner also enjoyed two glasses of champagne each.

When presented with the final bill of $435, the blogger initially refused to pay and repeatedly told the restaurant’s chef, “I never pay for food in any restaurant.”

The restaurant eventually offered to waive off the cost of the meal for him and his partner as well as the cost of the champagne out of goodwill, thus lowering the bill to $159.

Still upset but finally relenting to pay, the blogger then threw his credit card onto the bar counter in front of the cashier before storming out.

Private Affairs’ operations director Ross Valentine, 38, confirmed the incident to Yahoo! Singapore.

He said, “This blogger looked very aggressive and was quite arrogant. The fact that he also walked in with his friends at staggered timings created quite a bit of problems for my chef de cuisine, who has to prepare and present his food at just the right times.”

“We decided to waive off the meal and champagne cost for him and his partner out of goodwill. But when we asked him when the review of the meal would be coming out, he said he was not obliged to write anything if the food wasn’t good enough,” he added.

Yahoo! Singapore emailed Brad Lau for his reaction but has yet to receive a reply.

The incident, however, has enraged the local food blogging community.

Glenn Lee, who runs popular food blog Hungryepicurean.com since late last year, posted an open letter criticising the blogger’s behaviour for “tarnishing the good name of the community.”

Lee, 22, told Yahoo! Singapore, “We are food bloggers and I’m pretty sure the intentions of all of us in the community is to share the love that we have for food and writing.”

“But what this certain blogger has done is highly detrimental to the integrity of the community as a whole and I felt the need to stand up for what I strongly believe in,” he said.

Kaelyn Ong, 22, who posted an entry entitled ”STOP asking for free food” on her food blog, My Food Sirens II, also expressed her disgust.

“I’m surprised. It’s beyond my understanding how someone can actually request for a free meal on the house just because he’s a food blogger,” she told Yahoo! Singapore.

“Anyone can be a food blogger these days, all it takes is a camera and a blog… does that mean restaurants have to sponsor everyone for their meals?” she added.

She also apologised to restaurants on behalf of the food blogging community and said ”not all of us are such bad eggs”.

Renowned food expert KF Seetoh, who runs the popular makansutra.com, said the blogger in question lost his integrity by refusing to pay.

“The best position is to be invisible, pay for your own food. When you pay for your own food, you don’t take any prisoners when you write,” he said.

But what if the restaurant offers to give bloggers a free meal?

“Then I won’t write about your restaurant. Even if they offer me 50% off the total bill, and if I write about it, they will take my review with a 50% pinch of salt. Some of them, after eating, they call the chef out and ask him to change this and that on the menu. Some would then say, let me do a consultancy role for you. You do what I say and I write nice things.

“My stand is, be neutral. I pay, I say and then I rate,” he concluded.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh year 3 already LOL

i remember having this debate with my friend with regards to her gender. I only confirm is a she after being told a fren of mine his fren's fren knows this kid (sounds complicated) LOL

Can you confirm the gender of this creature with other people? Lol

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's magic:biggrin::biggrin:

Not magic bro...just begging SamLeong not to kick his butt into the rubbish heap. When I told him that he copied scroo's nick the intention is not honourable, he got upset with me. A stubborn Captain Obvious.:biggrin:
buzzy.gif

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not magic bro...just begging SamLeong not to kick his butt into the rubbish heap. When I told him that he copied scroo's nick the intention is not honourable, he got upset with me. A stubborn Captain Obvious.:biggrin:
buzzy.gif

Oic... alamak, I like ur avatar. kee chiu.... :biggrin: Huat Ar!!!!

Last edited:

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least scroobal (clone) has more honour than those few who claimed to quit this forum and then come back within the next few days (very thick-skin lah). :biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at least scroobal (clone) has more honour than those few who claimed to quit this forum and then come back within the next few days (very thick-skin lah). :biggrin:

Another Capt Obvious. I already up you for being funny so don't get so upset if you cannot read into my post. If I was leaving would I say I am taking the taxi to Bedok Reservoir? Read it again if you don't understand a tongue-in-cheek post.:rolleyes:

ssrrvv11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another Capt Obvious. I already up you for being funny so don't get so upset if you cannot read into my post. If I was leaving would I say I am taking the taxi to Bedok Reservoir? Read it again if you don't understand a tongue-in-cheek post.:rolleyes:

u mean u r one of those who claimed to quit but come back :confused:

i was referring to ramseth. didnt know u r one of those. :biggrin: