• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Difference in Attitude

Faithevans

The Asian mentality

I have been to most Asian countries for work...and non of the Asian Countries I went to have this attitude I noticed when I was in Sweden.

I went to Volvo in Sweden last year, as an observer for a local project.

One morning, I was up early as I met up with a SYT from volvo for breakfast at the company canteen early one morning.

The driver of the company picked me up at 7am and as I stayed near the company, I reached at 7.15am.

After the driver dropped me off....I saw him drive to park at a far end of the open space carpark outside the office building.

I was puzzled as we were early and had no reason to be parking so far.

As more cars came into the premises, I noticed most of them would park far from the entrance.

I told the SYT my observations during lunch and she told me the reason for them doing that.

She said that when one is early for work, they will park far from the entrance because they have enough time to walk to the building.

The lots near to the entrance are reserved for those who are late, as they will need to rush in to the office.

I think this is one metality and attitude we asians will not adopt for a long time....

what do you guys say?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Asian mentality

She said that when one is early for work, they will park far from the entrance because they have enough time to walk to the building.

The lots near to the entrance are reserved for those who are late, as they will need to rush in to the office.

I think this is one metality and attitude we asians will not adopt for a long time....

what do you guys say?

This is because the people there are of 1st world quality. 1st world quality means whatever they do, they serve the society and put it first and themselves 2nd.

IN asia, most of them have the me first mentality, and do watever to get to satisfy themselves first. i call that 3rd world and low life behavior. The place around us and the person him or herself will not improve with a me first mentality.

The nation that pissed me off the most is China. the 2nd place is sinkie chinese.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is because the people there are of 1st world quality. 1st world quality means whatever they do, they serve the society and put it first and themselves 2nd.

IN asia, most of them have the me first mentality, and do watever to get to satisfy themselves first. i call that 3rd world and low life behavior. The place around us and the person him or herself will not improve with a me first mentality.

The nation that pissed me off the most is China. the 2nd place is sinkie chinese.

simply amusing when you have to keep asking folks to keep left on the escalator and/or travellator...

simply amusing when you have to keep asking folks to keep left on the highway unless overtaking...

simply amusing when you have to keep asking folks to move towards the rear of the bus, or towards the centre of the MRT carriage away from the doorway...

simply amusing when you see folks shifting their homes so they can be within a kilometre of a primary school of their choice, or is it for their children's' choice?

simply amusing i had the time to reflect on these musings...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, Hua

A real 1st world behavior will not need to be reminded to do all these. These are basic human beahvior.

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal

what do you guys say?

Hmmmm not going to happen because alot of people will end up coming in late :biggrin:

lone_dog69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm, well all of this boils down to human mentality and also upbringing.

The same applies to Service Culture. Where we will compare the standards of Singapore against Thailand, Vietnam, etc. It is the social stigma and upbringing that is passed on from generation to generation.

You walk into any retail or F&B outlet today, atleast 1 out of all those working within that outlet or store is a non-singaporean. Infact, 4 out of 5 shops I go into, has either a PRC or Pinoy working there. At the rate things go, there will not be any Singaporeans left in the service industry, because of mindsets and social issues.

Just my IMHO.

Cheers!!

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its all due to our upbringing and environment. We are taught to be "elite". So anything lesser than average is looked down. That leads to how the Singaporean behaviour is today. All these "eliteness" and competition lead to a less caring society today here.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying people arent care loving but they are just less caring.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Culture tat been established nong nong agao bah. How we behave mostly through observations of others will more or less create a kinnda culture (b it go or bad) in our society e.g our kaisu attitudes. :p

jw5

Loyal
The Asian mentality

I have been to most Asian countries for work...and non of the Asian Countries I went to have this attitude I noticed when I was in Sweden.

I went to Volvo in Sweden last year, as an observer for a local project.

One morning, I was up early as I met up with a SYT from volvo for breakfast at the company canteen early one morning.

The driver of the company picked me up at 7am and as I stayed near the company, I reached at 7.15am.

After the driver dropped me off....I saw him drive to park at a far end of the open space carpark outside the office building.

I was puzzled as we were early and had no reason to be parking so far.

As more cars came into the premises, I noticed most of them would park far from the entrance.

I told the SYT my observations during lunch and she told me the reason for them doing that.

what do you guys say?

Did you see any topless blondes in Sweden?

davsoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
different place different practise. if one do that is asia all will be waiting to come last.

so the first must enjoy the best so that there is a challenge for improvement. early bird got benefit.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
fuck la you can't even expect a simple 'thanks' from sinkies when you hold the door for them, what more park far away and let you have the nearby lots. to me such things are common and basic courtesy, and i just cant understand why it's not the case for everyone?

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it all boils down to the enviroment we live in. Let me give you an example when a person is starving or lack of something that person will think of himself 1st before thinking of others. However if that person has enough to eat and everything is sufficent then that person is satify and start to think about his fellow man. As in most european countries they know that the govt. will not abandon them in times of need but rather help them out ( Eg Unemployment subs, Free med., etc.... ) hence they are not too worry and most prob lend a helping hand to the less fortunate. Now compare that with most asian countries and ask yourself any country in asia come close to that ( except Japan )?

jw5

Loyal
I think it all boils down to the enviroment we live in. Let me give you an example when a person is starving or lack of something that person will think of himself 1st before thinking of others. However if that person has enough to eat and everything is sufficent then that person is satify and start to think about his fellow man. As in most european countries they know that the govt. will not abandon them in times of need but rather help them out ( Eg Unemployment subs, Free med., etc.... ) hence they are not too worry and most prob lend a helping hand to the less fortunate. Now compare that with most asian countries and ask yourself any country in asia come close to that ( except Japan )?
I know of many singkees who have plenty to eat and drink but will still think of themselves first.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please refer to manners and social behaviour in Great Britain :biggrin: Their attitude are not much better according to a recent article I read.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The Asian mentality

what do you guys say?

Going into the meeting...

Sweden

They are almost 100% on time for their meeting.
If they know they will be late, they will inform the organizer in advance.
And if they are really late, then they are out of the meeting, 'cause to them it's very rude to interrupt the meeting in progress.

Singapore

You will look like a goon, if you are early.
You will be feeling like a fool if you are on time.
If you are 10 minutes late, you are on time.
If you are 20 minutes late, you have no qualms of making jokes at some angry faces.

Ya, we haven't talk about appointment.... with contractor yet:(

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Going into the meeting...

Singapore

You will look like a goon, if you are early.
You will be feeling like a fool if you are on time.
If you are 10 minutes late, you are on time.
If you are 20 minutes late, you have no qualms of making jokes at some angry faces.

on time 4 meeting? ... u so free? nothing 2 do, ah? ... :p

... Ya, we haven't talk about appointment.... with contractor yet:(

tok abt appointment wif ... chinese wedding dinners lagi best ... :p :biggrin: