• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Childcare Education for Singaporeans' kids...

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone can recommend?

I heard bro wuji's wife running a childcare center?

correct me if i am wrong..

anyone send their kid to childcare in JB instead of singapore?..

Pros and cons of doing so?

Any feedback greatly appreciated! ...

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't mind can share whether or not to let our kids study in Malaysia ?

To all members here-- Don't mind if I ask where did your kids go to school? Which school and which area?

I dun have any idea where my kids can study in JB? I can't afford for international school in JB, cos its very ex.

If u guys can give me some idea maybe I will follow suit. Thks

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Don't mind can share whether or not to let our kids study in Malaysia ?

To all members here-- Don't mind if I ask where did your kids go to school? Which school and which area?

I dun have any idea where my kids can study in JB? I can't afford for international school in JB, cos its very ex.

if u stayed at HH , i have always heard that Teck21 will say that the chinese school nearby is not bad..

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Very funny! Never heard a Singapore kid/student study in normal school in Malaysia. If like that better renounce your kid citizen then no need to serve NS.
Not sure the others can study in Malaysia gov school or not.
But the kid if accepted will need to study Malay language.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very funny! Never heard a Singapore kid/student study in normal school in Malaysia. If like that better renounce your kid citizen then no need to serve NS.
Not sure the others can study in Malaysia gov school or not.
But the kid if accepted will need to study Malay language.

Thks bro for the infor, seems like only teck1 got kids studying in JB, the rest ? Maybe all very busy.:smile:

Last edited:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone can recommend?

I heard bro wuji's wife running a childcare center?

correct me if i am wrong..

anyone send their kid to childcare in JB instead of singapore?..

Pros and cons of doing so?

Any feedback greatly appreciated! ...

Seems like ppl here dun talk much about kids going to which school. Maybe for safety reason sake or maybe most r singles!!!:biggrin:

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems like ppl here dun talk much about kids going to which school. Maybe for safety reason sake or maybe most r singles!!!:biggrin:

Probably actually because not many here have children of that age living and schooling over there. Most either have grown up children/no children/or children who still study in Singapore, and they still live here, or commute like Cathy.

Wonder who else besides Cathy does the daily commute thing? I remember got at least one or two more other regulars.

My boy will be going to a local nursery -> kindergarten after we move. We have one in mind (recommended by wife's local friend), but enrolment is full so he is on the waiting list. It is in Bukit Indah itself.

The standard does not appear comparable to Singapore. Then again, how many things in Malaysia at this point can? My own belief is that at this stage at a human's educational and intellectual development, most of it is still a result of the home environment, so I am not yet too particular about his schooling now. Primary-school age is something else to worry about then.

What I have noticed, and which I am a bit concerned about is the lack of emphasis on Mandarin. All we have visited and spoken with don't emphasize it at all, with Chinese lessons commencing only at 5 years of age, and even then, there's not much of it.

The emphasis is all English, which is understandable. Just that my wife and I would prefer it the other way. Just have to work harder on his Chinese at home, which is not easy considering neither of us are exactly comfortable Mandarin speakers. Well, nothing is perfect anywhere.

A lot cheaper than his schooling in Singapore though, so that's a big plus.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably actually because not many here have children of that age living and schooling over there. Most either have grown up children/no children/or children who still study in Singapore, and they still live here, or commute like Cathy.

Wonder who else besides Cathy does the daily commute thing? I remember got at least one or two more other regulars.

My boy will be going to a local nursery -> kindergarten after we move. We have one in mind (recommended by wife's local friend), but enrolment is full so he is on the waiting list. It is in Bukit Indah itself.

The standard does not appear comparable to Singapore. Then again, how many things in Malaysia at this point can? My own belief is that at this stage at a human's educational and intellectual development, most of it is still a result of the home environment, so I am not yet too particular about his schooling now. Primary-school age is something else to worry about then.

What I have noticed, and which I am a bit concerned about is the lack of emphasis on Mandarin. All we have visited and spoken with don't emphasize it at all, with Chinese lessons commencing only at 5 years of age, and even then, there's not much of it.

The emphasis is all English, which is understandable. Just that my wife and I would prefer it the other way. Just have to work harder on his Chinese at home, which is not easy considering neither of us are exactly comfortable Mandarin speakers. Well, nothing is perfect anywhere.

A lot cheaper than his schooling in Singapore though, so that's a big plus.

Hi bro, Thks for yr reply. Thks God at last there is reply for this question. I feel very stressful for my kids as one is in a good primary school and he other is in k2. The standard here is very high and some of the homework I never come across when I am at their age. I prefer not to put pressure on them, and daily driving them to school will add more headache as we have to bring them there and bring them back.

If can I only want them to study English only, as they r half chinese and half Filipino, learn Chinese also good so they can communicate with my mother who only speak Chinese. I have house in Philippines , the studies there is very relax but due to my work in sing I have to look alternative to live in JB. My situation now is very vex, cos I sold my flat and wanting to get another one either downgrade or upgrade also cannot as there is some cork up in the financial report. Went to see MP also no use, so my only way out is to enrol any Chinese school for them to study in JB and dun need to hassle going from JB to sing and from sing come back to JB.

Life in sing really a dreadful one for kids and adult, almost everyone living in sing is like in a pressure cooker, will explode any time! No freedom, everything ex, school fees ex, HDB loan ex, utilities bills ex, conservative charges ex,car ex, flats ex, petrol ex, almost everything expensive!

I just want my family to be happy, not like those, just follow blindly, want kids to be number 1! Some ppl in mental hospital because study too much, and some commit suicide if they dun get good grades! Life is no meaning if one just follow what the other do. Anyway I will plan for their future, I will pass down to them all the business I have so they dun even have to work for anyone!

We have to enjoy life to the fullest and not live to follow the system! We won't know Tml might be end of the world!? My point is..... Enjoy life with yr family as much as u can! R&R ! Rest and relax!

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
If can I only want them to study English only, as they r half chinese and half Filipino, learn Chinese also good so they can communicate with my mother who only speak Chinese. I have house in Philippines , the studies there is very relax but due to my work in sing I have to look alternative to live in JB. My situation now is very vex, cos I sold my flat and wanting to get another one either downgrade or upgrade also cannot as there is some cork up in the financial report. Went to see MP also no use, so my only way out is to enrol any Chinese school for them to study in JB and dun need to hassle going from JB to sing and from sing come back to JB.

At least your children should not have a problem with Chinese since they are exposed to it at home from your mom.

Previously I went to the Ming Chih primary school in HH to speak with the principal, who told me bluntly to think very carefully about putting my child there because I will 'ruin' his future. What a wet blanket. To now, i am still not sure whether she was being helpful or mean, because I noticed her attitude towards me completely changed when I said we were from Singapore!

Anyway I hear the school is very popular, which is good. My Singapore contractor's JB staff asked about enrolling her son there but was told there was no room unless she was HH resident. Past few times I've been there I can hear the schoolchildren going about their activities, quite noisy. I will still try to enrol my child there in primary school age if we are still there.

When he gets older, maybe he can come back to Singapore further his studies.

Do note that for enrolment of children in government schools, MM2H seems to be a must.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least your children should not have a problem with Chinese since they are exposed to it at home from your mom.

Previously I went to the Ming Chih primary school in HH to speak with the principal, who told me bluntly to think very carefully about putting my child there because I will 'ruin' his future. What a wet blanket. To now, i am still not sure whether she was being helpful or mean, because I noticed her attitude towards me completely changed when I said we were from Singapore!

Anyway I hear the school is very popular, which is good. My Singapore contractor's JB staff asked about enrolling her son there but was told there was no room unless she was HH resident. Past few times I've been there I can hear the schoolchildren going about their activities, quite noisy. I will still try to enrol my child there in primary school age if we are still there.

When he gets older, maybe he can come back to Singapore further his studies.

Do note that for enrolment of children in government schools, MM2H seems to be a must.

So is the Ming Chih Primary school good?.. is it very near to HH really?..

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal
So is the Ming Chih Primary school good?.. is it very near to HH really?..

Good? No idea, but it seems popular so I don't think it's bad! Near? It is actually in HH itself, you could walk there from your home. It's just opposite the Gateway entrance.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thks bro for the infor, seems like only teck1 got kids studying in JB, the rest ? Maybe all very busy.:smile:

hi bro. for their public education, it is free for all Msians. Despite this, many msian parents still send their kids to SG to study with most crossing the link everyday,...some even waking up at 4am for the morning classes. So much time and effort to ensure they get a good headstart. That alone says a lot about their own assessment of the Msian education system.

Would have to explore international schools if you dont want your kids to travel to and fro the checkpoints everyday. Hopefully with more such schools in the pipeline, fees can be made more affordable.

cheers.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Arowana,

Don't do it. It will be your biggest regret in life and your kids will forever hate you when they grow up. Think one step more.... where will they go for tertiary education? Singapore better chance than Malaysia, unless of course if you are Malay (sorry not making racist remark - just the truth)

Better to ask if there is a private bus that runs thru your estate to Singapore school everyday & back.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

For primary school you get to choose the medium, eg. you can choose a Chinese medium school where all subjects are learnt in Chinese.
But once you move up to secondary school everything is in the Malay language.

Unless you are confident of exposing your kids in a way that they excel above everyone else and they pick up their own English language through reading, Malaysian kids tend to lag behind in the English language.

Admittedly many Malaysians do well in working life (holding high positions in Singapore jobs) although they were schooled in Malaysia... as compared to the perceived superiority in the Singapore education system. However i suspect at some point they would have left Malaysia and continued their education either in Singapore or overseas.

For many Malaysian kids who do well in studies, they will apply for Sinkie govt's Asean Scholarship after they complete Primary 6, if not it will be after Form 3, if not it will be after Form 5. About 50 scholarships are given out each year for kids to start Sec 1 in Singapore, another 50 for Sec 3, and another 100+ for JC. Each year Singapore sucks at least 200 high achieving students from Malaysia through their scholarship programs. So Malaysian kids generally aspire to come to Singapore and schooling your Singaporean kids in Malaysia could be a blow to their self-esteem.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

The overall qualities of govt supported education between Malaysia and Singapore obviously differ in big ways. Good schools are generally those Chinese schools run by a board of Chinese education leaders(a bit same style as Nantah before I think but some with govt funding) and the old colonial schools run by christian brothers or nun(not many left today except the school names). Also there are elite govt schools with full scholarship and boarding mainly for training future leaders in malaysia but those are only for Bumi). In Malaysia, the Chinese community play big role in protecting and promoting Chinese education to keep it alive. It is a frontier many dedicate their lives working for. So the Chinese education is something the Chinese community help themselves with tough struggles sometimes and not one dropped from the sky or provided by govt. It is good to note there are considerable success in these efforts.

Olivia Lum, the CEO of Hyflux, grew up in small town in perak, having lost both her parents in a car accident, was brought up by her grandmother who lost most of her money in gambling. I read that When Olivia was a teenager, she followed a group of Chinese lady construction workers from her town to Singapore. She attended school and supported herself by cooking and selling food at the construction site! She made it to Hwa Chong and graduated from NUS. After working for a few years she started to sell her products in JB factories on her motorbike.

Malaysian education is one rich in frontier spirits, but one which many would not brave unless without choice. It is either a brave choice or crazy one, depending on one's philosophy of life.

Last edited:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Already decided to send my kids to schools in woodlands, get century school bus to send them to school.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Already decided to send my kids to schools in woodlands, get century school bus to send them to school.

My friends from KL prefer to send their kids to international schools. Heard there are many good locally run international schools in KL with high standard and at much cheaper price than Singapore..

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal

well done. may I ask what time pickup - to and from? how much per month? (planning ahead)

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

well done. may I ask what time pickup - to and from? how much per month? (planning ahead)

Primary 1 & 2 is afternoon session so not much issue, price about rm300 to rm350 depending woodlands or sembawang schools.