• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Economic / Trade War with PRC seeked by Obama Govt - coming soon!

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
US is set to be defeated but had to get it started before it became too weak to even try this.

Last ditch. If this don't work for White House they are left with either War or Terrorism / Sabotage to duel with Beijing.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2011-10/11/c_131184521.htm

RMB bill threatens trade war
English.news.cn 2011-10-11 10:25:43 FeedbackPrintRSS

RMB bill threatens trade war
(Photo: China Daily)

By Dan Steinbock

BEIJING, Oct.11 (Xinhuanet) -- During the debt-ceiling debacle, Washington pushed the United States economy close to an abyss. Now it is risking US-China relations.

Two months ago, Chinese officials were appalled by the US debt impasse. A month ago, Vice-President Joe Biden, after Washington's summer-long debt drama, sought to assure Beijing that "a successful China can make our country more prosperous, not less".

Now the Senate is weighing "whether to punish China for undervaluing its currency and taking away American jobs".

The proposed Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Reform Act of 2011 would allow the US government to slap countervailing duties on products from countries found to be subsidizing their exports by undervaluing their currencies. It will achieve nothing to ease US unemployment. It is straining US-China relations at the worst possible moment, and it will risk a trade war at a time when Washington can least afford one.

Despite bipartisan backing, the legislation would face overwhelming hurdles before it becomes law. After all, Barack Obama's White House, while believing Chinese renminbi to be undervalued, is wary of unilateral sanctions against China. This concern is widely shared by leading US business groups, and even House GOP leaders show little interest in bringing the bill to a vote.

If, however, the bill has no effective bipartisan support and it is rejected by US business, why does it have bipartisan backing?

The short answer is that political positioning for the 2012 presidential election is already trumping economic rationality. The topical answer is that, in political positioning, timing matters. It is hardly a coincidence that the Senate took up the bill on the very same day that the White House sent to Congress free trade agreements (FTAs) with South Korea, Colombia and Panama.

For months, a number of congressional Democrats have seen the FTAs as threats to US jobs. With lingering unemployment, anti-incumbency mood and political volatility, the renminbi serves as a convenient distraction. By supporting an ineffective currency bill, they have an opportunity to talk and appear tough on perceived unfair trade practices.

"China emerges as a scapegoat in campaign ads," The New York Times reported on last year's mid-term elections in October. In the second act, the renminbi serves as a smoke screen for three FTAs that Congress feels uneasy with.

In the past, surging food, fuel and other commodity prices in China have put greater pressure on China to allow a faster rise in the value of the renminbi to contain inflation. At the same time, China's central bank has continued its drive to appreciate the yuan to fight imported inflation.

Even the current pace of appreciation means that China's trade surplus could diminish within half a decade, as inflation is likely to continue to push up the renminbi in real effective exchange rate terms.

Ultimately, the currency issue is not bilateral and only between the US and China. It is multilateral and regional.

Think about it. Two to three decades ago, when you purchased a TV in the US, the label typically read "Made in Japan". More recently, that label probably said "Made in Korea". Today it says "Made in China". During the past decade, the role of China in the US trade deficit has climbed from 19 percent to 43 percent, so some observers have concluded that China is responsible for the deficit.

In reality, many of the goods the US used to import came first from Japan, then from the East Asian tiger economies, just as today they come from China. As many leading Asian companies have moved export manufacturing bases to China, "China's share" of the US trade deficit has risen in relative terms in trade data, but not in money flows.

For instance, Apple has outsourced its production to Foxconn, whose production engines are in China. However, it hardly follows that China is engaged in unfair trade against the US. Rather, China's current share of the US trade deficit reflects East Asia's central role as the world factory.

In a global economy with deficient aggregate demand, current-account surpluses are a problem. But there are no simple solutions.

After all, China has a bilateral and multilateral surplus, but so does Saudi Arabia. In absolute value, Saudi Arabia's multilateral merchandise surplus of $150 billion last year is less than half of China's $254 billion surplus. As a percentage of GDP, however, Saudi Arabia's current-account surplus, at 15.8 percent of GDP, is more than threefold that of China.

In fact, China's current-account surplus is actually less than Germany's. As a percentage of GDP, it is 5.2 percent, compared to Germany's 5.7 percent.

It would be a mistake to blame German exports for US unemployment, or Saudi Riyal for the US' need for oil. Conversely, Washington hardly wants to hear Europeans accuse the US for reckless budget deficits, or Brazil blame the US for low interest rates that can lead to a weak currency, or the BRICS preach about the threats of imported inflation from the West.

In reality, many factors other than exchange rates affect a country's trade balance, including national savings. The US' multilateral trade deficit will not be significantly narrowed until the country saves significantly more.

Rebalancing is a two-way street. What G20 nations need today is more cooperation, not confrontation like in the 1930s.

The author is research director of international business at the India, China and America Institute, an independent think tank based in the US, and a visiting fellow at the Shanghai Institutes for International Studies.

(Source: China Daily)

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be an exciting era.

Wall Street became War Street as American Protesters declared war with American Plutocracy, as White House plans war with PRC RMB.

Ho! Ho! Ho! Ho!
Ho! Ho! Ho! Ho!

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2011-10/14/c_122158687.htm

美报:北京不会就汇率法案忍气吞声
2011年10月14日 14:37:44
来源: 环球时报

分享新华微博

分享到腾讯微博 分享到QQ空间
【字号:大 中 小】【打印】

美国《赫芬顿邮报》10月12日文章,原题:中国不是问题,而是问题的征兆

美国参议院针对人民币汇率政策投票通过旨在“惩罚”中国的议案。这个举动是虚伪的,再度暴露了华盛顿应对本国经济问题的无能。

西方的产能向新兴市场国家大规模转移,这已不是一天两天的事了。这是西方跨国公司追逐利润的结果,这种做法随之产生大量的收支顺差。因此怪罪中国显然是很虚伪的。苹果公司产品的零部件由富士康生产,该公司在中国管理着一个现代化的劳动集中营,30万中国人挤在一处干活。若不是这样,苹果还能像现在这样卖产品吗?

中国有3.2万亿美元外汇储备,是世界最大的“银行“。不仅美国政府仰赖中国为其赤字融资,欧洲也空前需要中国投资。人民币今年已升值7%。要求加大升值说不过去,特别是因为美国自身在有意弱化美元,中国会因此每年蒙受大量损失。中国人均收入4000美元,美国则是4.5万。中国完全有理由为本国国民着想。笔者希望大家都看看中国总理上月在大连世界经济论坛上的讲话。中国人选择将国民的福祉放在优先位置,谁能说不对?

人人热衷于指责中国。这是旧事重演,就像当年指责日本一样。昨天参议院决定“惩罚中国”,此举完全忽视了我们对当前局面的责任。指责中国,而不去触碰美国大公司,这无非是一种在政治上更省事的做法。美国自己疏于财政约束,指责别人不会减少我们的债务。

中国不是问题,而是美国公司全球竞争困难的征兆。我们应邀请中国参与问题的解决。华盛顿正变得可怕:不论美中之间存在什么问题,参议院的举动只会使情况雪上加霜,不会产生一点效果。(作者乔治·尤盖斯,汪析译)

美国《华尔街日报》10月13日文章,原题:中国不会就汇率法案忍气吞声

动荡经济中开始的大选季又到了,因为每位候选人又一次对中国疯狂开炮。共和党最重要的总统候选人罗姆尼誓言,如果他成功当选,在入主白宫的第一天将命令美财政部将中国列为汇率操纵国。他威胁说,若中国不让人民币汇率自由浮动,美国将实施惩罚性关税等措施。这种观点和参议院获两党通过的一项用类似手段威胁中国的法案很相似。

上述两种情况都不可能真的发生,我这么说有充分理由:美国人不可能渴望或愿意见到他们在沃尔玛超市购买的商品价格飙升。但有迹象表明,对于这番言论,中国不会忍气吞声。周三早些时候,人民币兑美元汇率跌至交易区间底部。据道琼斯通讯社报道,这可能是中国央行释放的一个信号:上海本地一家银行的交易员说,在美国参议院投票通过汇率法案后,中国央行借此暗示人民币升值速度可能从此放慢。这位交易员说,中国有关部门的观点是,在人民币升值一事上中国已做出巨大努力。若这还不能令美国满意,那么或许人民币还可以贬值。

与此同时,美国财政部于10月12日举行了一场难看的10年期国债拍卖,参与间接竞拍的数量(代表国外需求)是 2010年2月以来最低的。无法得知中国是否刻意缺席此次拍卖以传递某种信息,尤其是在当前人人都在竞逐风险更大的资产的时候。

无论中国是否刻意缺席,这场拍卖都在提醒我们与中国的共生关系:他们买入我们的巨额国债,我们购买他们制造的廉价商品,双方皆大欢喜。总有一天这种关系不得不改变,但现在就开始贸易战将立刻导致混乱。

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a band aid solution. One by one world currencies are asked to revalue until eventually even the Euro will have to revalue leaving the US with the weakest currency. Americans will only be able to afford local goods. Quality goods from all over the world will be out of their reach. The decline will be complete. It can happen within the next 10 years.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you. But I just wish everebody would just think of "WORLD PEACE".

很难咯。。。。

World resources depleted too critically by massive over population. Chance of survival will eventually be decided by most un-peaceful ways :wink::cool::rolleyes:

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't wait when I can buy quality goods that are made in US or Canada all over again. Then I can stop buying made in China junks Will give you a few examples
Electric kettle.... Still remember those good old made in the US or Canada kettles that can last 10 or more year. Nowdays made in China kettles will last 1 year if lucky. Bought a Proctor Silex kettle( China made) in early March and buy mid June, I had to threw it away Got a Black and Deckerkettleand for some strange reason fater some 5 months of use, it is starting to make very loud noise whenever I plug it in
Toaster... my made in Canada Sunbeam toaster bought in the late 80's is still working though it will burnt the toast more often these days.How long will the made in China toaster last??
Shoes......The best generic shoes(runners) I ever bought was made in the US in 2006. Threw it away this year. That's 5 years of daily usage. Generic made in China ?? How long will it last. I wll be lucky it it last beyond 1 year.
Car...give me a made in Canada or US GM car anytime. Of course back in the 70's and 80's GM had quality problem. Nowdays GM cars are just as good as any Japanese cars
Computer,,, my old Dell computer(not sure where it was made) bought in 1999 (runs on Win 98 and with a CRTmonitor) is still working. Use as a back up.My HP laptop(made in China)last less than 3 years
I can go onl. Cant wait for the days when the shelves are restock with made in US/Canada goods

This is a band aid solution. One by one world currencies are asked to revalue until eventually even the Euro will have to revalue leaving the US with the weakest currency. Americans will only be able to afford local goods. Quality goods from all over the world will be out of their reach. The decline will be complete. It can happen within the next 10 years.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah China has more to lose than the US in protectionism. Exports go down, unemployment will skyrocket in China, social unrest will rise, SMEs already in trouble in China, Yuan being forced stronger, factories shutting, China property market going down, too many bad bank loans, 3 Trillion war chest cannot be used to save China unless Yuan skyrocket up killing rest of exports.

2013-2014 China going to die liao. Singapore badly affected.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mayliewwan said:
Can't wait when I can buy quality goods that are made in US or Canada all over again. Then I can stop buying made in China junks Will give you a few examples
Electric kettle.... Still remember those good old made in the US or Canada kettles that can last 10 or more year. Nowdays made in China kettles will last 1 year if lucky. Bought a Proctor Silex kettle( China made) in early March and buy mid June, I had to threw it away Got a Black and Deckerkettleand for some strange reason fater some 5 months of use, it is starting to make very loud noise whenever I plug it in
Toaster... my made in Canada Sunbeam toaster bought in the late 80's is still working though it will burnt the toast more often these days.How long will the made in China toaster last??
Shoes......The best generic shoes(runners) I ever bought was made in the US in 2006. Threw it away this year. That's 5 years of daily usage. Generic made in China ?? How long will it last. I wll be lucky it it last beyond 1 year.
Car...give me a made in Canada or US GM car anytime. Of course back in the 70's and 80's GM had quality problem. Nowdays GM cars are just as good as any Japanese cars
Computer,,, my old Dell computer(not sure where it was made) bought in 1999 (runs on Win 98 and with a CRTmonitor) is still working. Use as a back up.My HP laptop(made in China)last less than 3 years
I can go onl. Cant wait for the days when the shelves are restock with made in US/Canada goods

You can buy make in US GM in Singapore and at reasonably low price, definitely lower equivalent German makes. I knew one instance - after purchase just few months engine gave way (not just things around the engine, the engine itself).