• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LKY thinks $$$ can solve everything and every problem.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Kuan Yew in TODAYONLINE:

Student: In the next 20 to 30 years time, what if global demand for food outstrips supply, then what will be of our food security plan?

Mr Lee: It doesn't matter whether you grow your own food or you buy your food. The question is the price. If there is a food shortage worldwide, the price of food, produce will go up. And the answer for a country like Singapore is to make sure that our incomes rise, our total GDP rises faster than the food prices.
It does not matter whether you grow your own food or you buy your food. The question is the price? Really, Mr. Lee? Let's go back a few years in history and consider the following news headlines from 2008:

Brazil May Curb Rice Exports to Boost Inventory

Vietnam to cut rice exports to curb inflation

Cambodia Halts Rice Exports to Curb Rising Domestic Prices

India introduces rice export ban

And also from 2011

Myanmar Puts Lid on Its Rice Exports

Egypt says rice export ban to Oct 2011

- http://sgentropy.blogspot.com/2011/10/lee-kuan-yew-and-price-of-food.html

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is right - as a businessman. Money talks, bullshit walks.

And while this model of capitalism persists, this trend will. Until it is no longer sustainable. Might be never. Might be next year.

Cheers!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most food producing countries cannot even solve their own food demand problem. And how does Singaporeans' income rise when majority are still paying for the ever increasing price of HDB and transport?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most food producing countries cannot even solve their own food demand problem. And how does Singaporeans' income rise when majority are still paying for the ever increasing price of HDB and transport?

Because agriculture is stil a low-end payer (which I don't agree with - ethically).

It is the land owner, the middle-man, and the futures-traders (damn!!!) that milks the produce line. The laborers in the fields, the packers, etc. that are lowly paid. Also, agrarian economies that are reliant on only that one crop (or produce) do not have access to other foods (eg. rice growers have lots of rice, but little eggs, meat, veggies).

Sg is a hub because of location, location, location (also no natural calamities, peaceful ties, blah blah, and English). No where else in the world will you see such a concentration of MNC, banks, transport companies, and the service industries. It is well positioned to rake in the buck. Singaporeans (mostly) are well off.

Cheers!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ok just talking about food only, I think Thailand is damn lucky country because food is plentiful and cheap. I think this is one of the few countries that is a major exporter of food like fresh and canned seafood, chicken, processed food and fruits, not just rice.

Coming back to this laujeebye mouth, he out to shut the fuck up and leave us Singaporean alone, fucking Lee Kuan Yew is an embarrassment to all Singaporeans and I am sure he is the only one thinking Singaporeans are proud of him. Where the fuck is my Swiss standard of living?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because agriculture is stil a low-end payer (which I don't agree with - ethically).

It is the land owner, the middle-man, and the futures-traders (damn!!!) that milks the produce line. The laborers in the fields, the packers, etc. that are lowly paid. Also, agrarian economies that are reliant on only that one crop (or produce) do not have access to other foods (eg. rice growers have lots of rice, but little eggs, meat, veggies).

Sg is a hub because of location, location, location (also no natural calamities, peaceful ties, blah blah, and English). No where else in the world will you see such a concentration of MNC, banks, transport companies, and the service industries. It is well positioned to rake in the buck. Singaporeans (mostly) are well off.

Cheers!
"It is the land owner, the middle-man, and the futures-traders (damn!!!) that milks the produce line.". Agree on this. The margin from the farmers are real low. The middle-man has been playing the market for a very long time. I am a small investor in the farming industry and the expense bore by the farmers are really high. Fertilisers, pesticides (sorry this is really needed) and the machineries, manpower and not forgetting the natural disasters.
The middle-man, on the other hand, manipulates the entire market. The prices of every harvest is decided by them, backed by the politicians.

However, how long can this trend continue? In the past, farmers are uneducated with little knowledge about the world besides farming and the unscrupulous middle-man took the advantage of the naive farmers. Now, the farmers are increasingly knowledgeable and they know they have been short-changed in the past.

SG has been lucky because the neighbours are not good enough and the island itself is small enough to be governed. Things are changing with the neighbours getting smarter.

Sad, but true, SG just do not have enough land to grow even sweet potatoes. All it takes is just one major disaster and SG will be forgotten by the world. SG is just too small to be sustainable.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Swiss standard of living?Wait long long. Think should be Shit Standard of Living.
I really feel paiseh when gf was in Singapore for first time, surprised seeing many senior citizens working and asked why is old auntie going around selling tissues in newton hawker centre and also a senior citizen white hair taxi uncle still driving a taxi for a living. Paiseh not because of senior citizens selling tissue or driving taxis. just told her if I have stayed in SG, I might end up selling tissue paper or cleaning toilets when I am 55.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also recently spoke to a PRC friend, A businessman. That's his very frank comment on Singapore (translated from PRC Mandarin). This is what I call very frank, knowing I am a Singaporean.

"XinJiaPo? North pole (Beiji) melt another few piece of ice, and XinJiaPo finish already (jiu mei le)",

literally, it means all it takes is just a few more piece of ice to be melted in the northpole, and Singpore will be history. So what if you are the hub.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chonburifc said:
Also recently spoke to a PRC friend, A businessman. That's his very frank comment on Singapore (translated from PRC Mandarin). This is what I call very frank, knowing I am a Singaporean.

"XinJiaPo? North pole (Beiji) melt another few piece of ice, and XinJiaPo finish already (jiu mei le)",

literally, it means all it takes is just a few more piece of ice to be melted in the northpole, and Singpore will be history. So what if you are the hub.

There are a lot of these sour grapes situations.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
objectively, he is being pragmatic.

obviously, in terms of market sense, highest bidder gets the goods given supply < demand.

it is not practical / impossible that SG grow her own food...how much can u grow, how much land can you spare?

the only solution, is to be able to afford to buy / be one of the highest bidder - provided market mechanism exist.

the part regarding ensuring our pay increases faster than the price of food is only tokking abt one side of the equation. SGeans want more than satisfying basic needs

Of cse if we talk about world wide panic during the aftermath of nuclear holocast, where countries safeguard their own interests / close their doors to trade...then different story.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What a fucking retard LKY is! If food prices goes up and become more expensive, that means food supplies is in demand and money is oversupply! The means values of money is going down the drain while food is getting more valuable! It would be wiser to grow and produce own food and sell whatever excess to others cos it's more valuable then stupid paper money!!! Such simple principle of supply and demand, growth and wealth also don't know. Fuck LKY and his retarded parties!

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kuan Yew, on oil prices: "I don't think it can go up US$110, US$120, US$150 and the world economy goes on. Inflation will go through the roof. Economies of the West will go down, hyper-inflation in many developing countries. So it will go into reverse."

Price of crude oil per barrel two months later: above $110

Price of crude oil per barrel four months later: $145

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Kuan Yew, on oil prices: "I don't think it can go up US$110, US$120, US$150 and the world economy goes on. Inflation will go through the roof. Economies of the West will go down, hyper-inflation in many developing countries. So it will go into reverse."

you know LKY talks like Scrooball-less here. Talk like as thought his words is gospel truth and fact and expect everyone to ball-lick it later.

what a sinkie!!!

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's Elementary !

IDIOT.jpg

Many years ago, I told my friends and my family members regarding a huge surge of oil price in general. This strengthened their believe that I'm still the only credible person among them. We are all going to die in a gradual 'sudden' death - no food, no source of energy. It's elementary !

ZhuGe Liang was not a god, he and me are people who think and analyse things before you can even question us. But, ZhuGe Kong Ming wasn't very smart. He made a few serious mistakes that caused the death of both Guan Yu and Liu Bei. And not to mention the many thousands of men to perish for nothing ! He should be executed for letting Ma Su to lead an important expedition. Perhaps, there's really no one to share his woes - he was alone.

We will all hug each other and die ? One last thing, Lee is an idiot who is going around the world to preach nonsense. So, we must stop him.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: It's Elementary !

IDIOT.jpg

Many years ago, I told my friends and my family members regarding a huge surge of oil price in general. This strengthened their believe that I'm still the only credible person among them. We are all going to die in a gradual 'sudden' death - no food, no source of energy. It's elementary !

ZhuGe Liang was not a god, he and me are people who think and analyse things before you can even question us. But, ZhuGe Kong Ming wasn't very smart. He made a few serious mistakes that caused the death of both Guan Yu and Liu Bei. And not to mention the many thousands of men to perish for nothing ! He should be executed for letting Ma Su to lead an important expedition. Perhaps, there's really no one to share his woes - he was alone.

We will all hug each other and die ? One last thing, Lee is an idiot who is going around the world to preach nonsense. So, we must stop him.

Yah, stop him by posting in the forum, how sinkiely genius that is!!!!!