• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Samsung Galaxy S II only $2 now.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a show of respect for Steve Jobs and the release of the 4S, "For Steve" edition iphone. Samsung has decided to lower their price of the SGS II to only $2. Good marketing strategy?

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/samsung-ambushes-apples-iphone-4s-launch-in-sydney-20111012-1lk0d.html

Samsung ambushes Apple's iPhone 4S launch in Sydney
October 12, 2011 - 11:57AM
Comments 2

On the right Apple's flagship store can be seen just metres away from Samsung's temporary "pop up" store. Photo: Thomas Mosca
Best value iPhone 4S plans: Telstra the analysts' pick
Samsung has ambushed the launch of the iPhone 4S by offering $2 smartphones in a temporary shop just metres away from the official Sydney Apple store.

A queue - longer than that outside Apple's store - was seen outside the Samsung "pop up" store at 8am this morning, with those in line hoping to get their hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone for the nominal price of $2. Some waiting in line had been there since Monday, with the store only letting the first 10 in line each day receive the $2 phone.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Samsung's temporary "pop up" store on George Street. Photo: Samsung
It comes just days after Samsung said it halted the unveiling of a new Google Android phone as a sign of respect for those mourning the death of Apple founder Steve Jobs.

The South Korean company has this week rented a store just two doors down from the Sydney Apple store to promote the Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone and its new online music subscription service, Music Hub. The iPhone 4S, Apple's latest revision of its smartphone, goes on sale Friday at 8am.

Samsung is one of Apple's strongest competitors, with its Galaxy S II smartphone making inroads against the iPhone 4. Samsung's tablets are also receiving favourable reviews despite attempts by Apple to use the courts to prevent the tablets from going to market.

John Kim, 19, and Russell Lee, 20. John plans to sell his $2 Galaxy S II and Russell plans to keep his. Photo: Ben Grubb
Samsung has also filed suit in both France and Italy in an attempt to block the iPhone 4S from launching but hasn't yet filed a similar suit in Australia.

It's not the first time the smartphone wars have extended into guerrilla marketing tactics. At an HTC event last year Nokia representatives were outside HTC's launch venue in London and the Finnish phone maker even handed out HTC press conference "survival kits" to journalists.

An embargoed version of Samsung's Music Hub release that went out to select media on September 30 did not include the fact that Samsung would rent the "pop up" store on George Street. A general media release sent on the night of the Music Hub launch last Thursday - the day Steve Jobs died and just one day after the announcement of the iPhone 4S - did, however, include the fact.

People waiting outside Samsung's store on Monday. Photo: Samsung
Apple's flagship store in Sydney currently has Sydney school students Tom Mosca and Wil Batterham, both 15, lined up ahead of Friday's iPhone 4S launch. They arrived at 10.30am yesterday.

They said they'd had many people approach them trying to convince them to line up in the Samsung line instead of the Apple line. "There's this guy who has come up to us trying to convince us to buy the Samsung Galaxy S II two days in a row now," said Tom. "And he's an idiot."

"The amount of people asking what we are lining up for is absolutely astonishing," said Wil.

Tom Mosa and Wil Batterham, both 15. Photo: Ben Grubb
Two people Fairfax Media spoke to in Samsung's line - brother and sister John and Jessica Kim from Lidcombe and Burwood respectively - said they would sell their $2 Samsung Galaxy S II smartphones to go on a trip to India. John used an iPhone and would be sticking with it, and Jessica an Optus MyTab, which she used as a phone and tablet.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...h-in-sydney-20111012-1lk0d.html#ixzz1aWgSEN8C

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about these people waiting?

art_Samsung-420x0.jpg

art_Samsung2-420x0.jpg

art_Russell_John-420x0.jpg

samsung729-420x0.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you sell anything cheap enough you'll always have takers. Though don't think they'll make much from each $2 sale. :smile:

I'm looking for a simple phone, looks like I'll get a Samsung. Where can I find these $2 phones:confused:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you sell anything cheap enough you'll always have takers. Though don't think they'll make much from each $2 sale. :smile:

That's simple peasant logic. The profit over the $2 phone is not the main objective - it's just a publicity stunt to raise awareness and even long-term overall sales of the product by the corporation courting controversy with this special remembrance and pricing tactic.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its only a couple of metres from the apple store as shown in the picture.

I'm looking for a simple phone, looks like I'll get a Samsung. Where can I find these $2 phones:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's simple peasant logic. The profit over the $2 phone is not the main objective - it's just a publicity stunt to raise awareness and even long-term overall sales of the product by the corporation courting controversy with this special remembrance and pricing tactic.

I guess I'm a peasant's at heart:smile: For me I'd rather save the money & invest in the next iPad 3.0.

I understand that it's a publicity stunt but I see no reason why I shouldn't take advantage of it:wink:
I can aways sell it for $2.10 or use it as a back up to my 7+ year old phone.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
This 1 in Sydney leh, plus, AUD almost parity now to USD also. You can claim back GST at airport also on way out of country also. So cheaper then US.

Damn, there's always a catch .

Wish I could justify a trip to the US. I'd pick up a Macbook Pro, iPad, & a $2 Samsung phone :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This 1 in Sydney leh, plus, AUD almost parity now to USD also. You can claim back GST at airport also on way out of country also. So cheaper then US.

Oops I thought Samsung was banned from selling their phones in Aust :confused:

Shows how little I care about Samsung phones :o I read the rumour sites & getting kind of hard to keep track of the court cases between Apple, Samsung & HTC. Even got Verizon entering into the fray:eek:

My priority is to get a replacement for my iBook which is now kaput. It lasted for 10+ years.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Galaxy tab I believe. Not the phone. You run road here lah. I find here people are more knowledgeable about stuff like this then in Singapore.
Oops I thought Samsung was banned from selling their phones in Aust :confused:

Shows how little I care about Samsung phones :o I read the rumour sites & getting kind of hard to keep track of the court cases between Apple, Samsung & HTC. Even got Verizon entering into the fray:eek:

My priority is to get a replacement for my iBook which is now kaput. It lasted for 10+ years.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Galaxy tab I believe. Not the phone. You run road here lah. I find here people are more knowledgeable about stuff like this then in Singapore.

I'm an old time Apple customer, been using their equipment for 20+ years. Very hard to learn new tricks lah. Samsung is also a big fan of copying Apple that's why they try to copy Apple:biggrin:

Was going around browsing at Best Denki & you can now get a 42" TV for under $500:eek: That gave me a reality check on how expensive phones really are.
I'm not an iPhone fan since I don't need so many features in a phone. But I would get an iPhone if it's was cheaper. Rather spend my $$$ on something I would use more like an iPad, MacBook, iPod classic,....

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those Koreans have no class. It's like how LG and Samsung hate each other and accuse each other or corporate espionage. :wink: