• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recommended MRT guerilla tactics to get a seat

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]The art of train warfare - or how to make sure you get that seat: Digital strategist employs rush-hour psychology[/h]By EMILY ALLEN

Last updated at 10:14 AM on 11th October 2011

For millions of commuters the daily journey to work and back can seem like a battle - but for one man, it really is.
So much so he has now devised an online guide giving away his secrets on how to bag the almost impossible - a seat on a rush-hour train.

Brendan Nelson, a digital strategist from London, has used endless hours on board the capital's overground network to conclude that positioning and strategy are key to the assault on sitting down.

He says standing in the long aisle away from the 'barren, seatless inter-carriage zone' and developing a chameleon-like '360-degree perception of your surroundings' is fundamental to the 'seat acquisition game.'
article-2047586-0E51E0E700000578-466_634x133.jpg
Who's who when you step into the theatre of conflict? Aspirants are those who aspire to sit down

Explaining why he decided to publicise his secrets, Mr Nelson wrote on his website brelson.com: 'A few days ago, on an Overground train from Highbury to Kensington, I had a shocking experience – I failed to get a seat.

'If you know how crowded the Overground can get at rush hour, this might not sound all that surprising.

'Believe me, though, I was good at getting seats.
article-2047586-0553877D0000044D-39_634x362.jpg
It's war: The London Overground carriage, also known as the theatre of conflict, where Mr Nelson has divulged his tactics to secure a seat in rush hour

'I’d learnt the ropes and tend to over-analyse behaviour on public transport, so it had never been a problem. But I’d been away for a few weeks and my seat-acquisition skills had gone beyond rusty – they were useless.
'So, as a form of therapy, I decided to try to work out the “rules” of the seat-acquisition game on the Overground.'
He also reveals his company has moved to within a 20-minute walk from his house so he feels happier revealing his tips to the travelling population.

article-2047586-0E51E0EB00000578-84_634x213.jpg
Don't take the wrong turn: When you first get on the train don't turn towards the divide between the two carriages but head to the fertile valley of the long aisle

[h=3]WHO'S WHO IN THE THEATRE OF CONFLICT?[/h]Aspirants – People standing who want to sit down. This includes you.

Civilians – People standing who don’t want to sit down, maybe because they’re not going far.

Occupants – People currently sitting down. Don’t be fooled though: they’re still in the game.

Referring to the carriage as the 'theatre of conflict' and rush hour as a 'combat situation' Mr Nelson advisers passengers to 'know your enemies' when boarding the train.

He explains that the commuter shares the carriage with three types of passenger; the aspirants, who are people standing who want to sit down, the civilians, people standing who don't want to sit down, and the occupants, people who already have seats.

Firstly Mr Nelson advises passengers to always turn away from the divide between the two carriages where there are fewer seats and the 'chances of victory are slim'.

He writes: 'When you first get on the train you might turn towards the divide in between two carriages. Don’t! This is an unforgiving quagmire. Much like Napoleon in Russia, your campaign will come to a crushing, drawn-out end if you venture here.

article-2047586-0E51E0F000000578-94_634x162.jpg
Find a good place to lurk, but don't appear too keen: Position yourself in the long aisle where there is an abundance of seats but don't look like you are desperate to sit down

'On one side you’re bordered by the crowded doorway, on the other you’re hemmed in by the barren, seatless inter-carriage zone, so withdrawing to another region could prove impossible. Stay well away.'
Secondly, he advises passengers to 'get into position' - in the long aisle, the 'fertile valley of the Overground carriage', where there are the most seats.
However, he warns it is essential that aspirants 'act casual, like you don’t really want to sit down anyway.'
article-2047586-0E51E0F600000578-77_634x261.jpg
Hold your position to capture the flag: Mr Nelson says you must keep an eye on a handful of passengers - but not ones who look like they are settled for a long journey

Step three is to 'find a good place to lurk, but don't appear too keen.' Mr Nelson said it's never a good idea to hover over seat occupants that have just sat down, but to try to guess where others might be heading.
BBC employees, for example, heading to Shepherd's Bush tend to carry branded building passes, thumbing through a copy of Ariel, he said.

Mr Nelson suggests aspirants should not to linger near the pregnant or the infirm 'unless, of course, the Overground has completely erased your sense of ethics.'
Step four is all about 'holding your position to capture the flag.'

He warns passengers to keep their wits about them, and not to watch seat occupants intently if they show signs of imminent departure as they might miss another seat becoming vacant.

article-2047586-0E51E0FF00000578-80_634x330.jpg
The seat occupant's deceit: Watch out for those who like to 'mess with your mind' and pretend their leaving, when they're not

article-2047586-0E51E10400000578-599_634x475.jpg
Always watch your back: Mr Nelson says overground veterans develop 360-degree perception of their surroundings, much like chameleons, otherwise they might miss seats behind them

He writes: 'Don't be misled by someone putting their book in their bag. They're not leaving the train - they're just messing with your mind.'
In addition, he advises aspirants not to 'get a kind of tunnel vision when staring at the same three or four people for so long' but to keep an eye on the row of seats behind them, developing a 360-degree perception of your surroundings, much like chameleons.'

Finally, Mr Nelson said if two aspirants have equal claim over a newly vacant seat, always move to create an easy route to the door for the person leaving.

article-2047586-0E51E10D00000578-247_634x398.jpg
Victory: The seat occupant's direction of departure can be influenced to your advantage - make sure you appear to get out of their way and then effortlessly bag their seat

He writes: 'As they move past, do that “orbiting” kind of motion that people do in busy spaces, spinning around them so you switch places while gracefully intruding between the seat and your thwarted enemy.

'Get it right and you’ll effortlessly drop into their seat while looking like a helpful and polite person, and not the scheming and conniving seat-fancier you are.'
In a final warning to aspirants, he urges them to be careful.
He wrote: 'Don’t let the war for seats escalate any more than it has to. Enough blood has been shed.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sychological-warfare-rails.html#ixzz1aURehRqQ

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sometimes, standing in MRT is good...

- can stand close to chio bus, get rewarded with rubba rubba..
- smell their perfume, peep into their iphone
- chio bu sitting, can sometimes see down blouse

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes, standing in MRT is good...

- can stand close to chio bus, get rewarded with rubba rubba..
- smell their perfume, peep into their iphone
- chio bu sitting, can sometimes see down blouse

i was once forced to rubba rubba a damn hot lady in train before.
For a total of 3 stations. damn it was nice....

the side of my hip was all the way into her butt bone. Actually i shifted the angle before the crash, if not its my full frontal rubbing against her. Till today i regretted shifting the angle, should have act blur and enjoyed myself

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng always stands in front of students - especially if u know the colour of their school uniform - should be arriving soon mah :biggrin:

Last edited:

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
every time I step up the train people will stand up and offer me seat but I always tell them fux you la, I am not old yet:mad:

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is one day this uncle board the train.
I then offer my dirty seat to him. He refused. Instead, he fux me up :mad:
So i guai guai sit back my dirty seat. Feeling Paiseh bit...
When this uncle was about to alight, i stretch out my leg and he tripped.:eek:
I so happy...

This uncle is botak wan..:biggrin: