• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

4 lives lost at Bedok Res'voir and sinkies are only concerned about property prices

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bedok Reservoir residents worried about impact of deaths

ynewslogo-071424_075919.png
<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-size: 13px; display: inline-block !important; font-family: Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; vertical-align: middle; white-space: nowrap; line-height: 2.2em; ">By Fann Sim | Yahoo! Newsroom – <abbr title="2011-10-10T20:16:11-07:00" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-variant: normal; ">12 hours ago</abbr></cite>

630yahoo-bedokreservoir2_162702.jpg

Residents staying near Bedok Reservoir are worried about the impact of the deaths. (Yahoo! photo)

In the last four months, four bodies have been retrieved fromBedok Reservoir and some residents in the area are wondering if more can be done to prevent future occurrences.

Their concerns ranged from the slippery slopes at the park to the impact of these deaths on their property prices, according to residents Yahoo! Singapore spoke to.

The latest case was on Monday, where the Singapore Civil Defence Force retrieved the body of an Indian man who had walked into the reservoir on his own on 8 Oct and refused help from people. The man disappeared into the water and was not found until the morning of 10 October.

A clerk in her 50s, who wanted to be known as Say, said she was more concerned about the people affected by the deaths than park safety.

“But I believe the park can be quite dangerous as it has many slopes. If you slip on the rocky paths, you may just fall into the reservoir,” she added.

Say suggested NParks can consider building barricades around the water body at Bedok Reservoir or step up the frequency of patrols by park rangers.

Some residents have highlighted concerns that the deaths might affect property prices around the area. Property surrounding the reservoir has been largely marketed as waterfront living.

Aida, 23, said potential homebuyers might feel the area could be “dirty”, given the spate of deaths. The nurse added that it is frustrating to have so many deaths at the reservoir and it may tarnish the impression and reputation of Bedok Reservoir.

A taxi driver, who declined to name himself, said the area around the reservoir used to be a populated Malay village. "There could be lurking spirits there," he speculated.

However, in spite of their concerns, none of the six residents Yahoo! Singapore spoke to were worried about the quality of water supplied to their homes.

A 72-year-old retiree Tan said she is not worried because news reports have explained that the water will be treated before it is supplied to homes.

Another resident, Chin, who lives 100 metres from the reservoir, felt additional measures wouldn't help to prevent similar cases from happening in the future.

"The recent cases are suicide cases,not accidents," he pointed out, noting that patrols and barricades can only help so much if the death is intentional.

"If people wish to end their life by drowning themselves at beaches, are we going to barricade the seashore?" he wondered.

Since the highly decomposed lower body of Lin Xiao, 23, had been found at Bedok Resevoir on 20 June, two other bodies had been found. The cause of Lin Xiao’s death is not yet known and his upper body is still missing.

The bodies of mother and son, 32-year-old Tan Sze Sze and 3-year-old Jerald Chin Le Hui was found on 22 Sept. Tan is believed to have committed suicide with her young son at the reservoir .

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: 4 lives lost at Bedok Res'voir and sinkies are only concerned about property pric

Cannot blame them. Used to be "Waterfront Living"; now "Suicide Front".

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: 4 lives lost at Bedok Res'voir and sinkies are only concerned about property pric

I prefer a laissez faire approach. People wanna commit suicide, let them do it. If you wanna help them, help. Don't want them to dirty your surroundings, put up barriers. Otherwise, you gonna end up with PAPpies calling up every single Sinkie periodically for psychological assessment and other micromanaging, social engineering schemes. Be careful what you wish for.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's very sad that it has become a suicide front. I used to enjoy jogging around Bedok Reservoir with some old police friends in morning fresh air.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng noted that property prices going up n down n upside down like roller coaster can drive many to the edge of water, mrt tracks, hdb window latches, etc... :biggrin:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

well at least the agent can now brag that their view is "breathtaking" and "to die for".. :biggrin:

hi there

1. bro, good one!
2. btw, i live around there.
3. honest, nothing much to offer but just a piece of waters there.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Reservoir keeps on '' eating people''.... So many suicides there.. Maybe should dump some PAP Ministers inside the reservoir as a mean of sacrifice so that the Water Spirits there will be appeased..

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng believes that reservoir is cursed and suggests to drain it dry then close permanently for good. :biggrin:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cannot blame them. Used to be "Waterfront Living"; now "Suicide Front".

Do u ever wonder if this coincidence is dued to the structrual design of the reservior ?....it is a death trap...

Perhaps the PUB can do a study on this....before more drowning and deaths occur...

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

I prefer a laissez faire approach. People wanna commit suicide, let them do it. If you wanna help them, help. Don't want them to dirty your surroundings, put up barriers. Otherwise, you gonna end up with PAPpies calling up every single Sinkie periodically for psychological assessment and other micromanaging, social engineering schemes. Be careful what you wish for.

Class,

This is an example of informal fallacy some call a slippery slope argument. Wikipedia describes this as, I quote:

"a minor action causes a significant impact through a long chain of logical relationships. Note that establishing this chain of logical implication (or quantifying the relevant probabilities) makes this form logically valid". It remains a fallacy if such a chain is not established.

Of course, it is not established that the PAPzis will spend inordinate amount of money "calling up every single Sinkie periodically for psychological assessment". A cursory examination reveals the latter would cost more than just erecting barriers.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is an example of informal fallacy some call a slippery slope argument.

You call it the "slippery slope" fallacy, I call it "erring on the side of caution". After all, this government does have a proven history of imposing draconian measures disproportionate to problems. Chewing gum ban, anyone? Locking up a group of harmless christian do-gooders?

Of course, it is not established that the PAPzis will spend inordinate amount of money "calling up every single Sinkie periodically for psychological assessment". A cursory examination reveals the latter would cost more than just erecting barriers.

From YOG to the naming of Marina Bay, costs are peripheral to an opaque government whose raison d'etre is to garner political power as opposed to saving $ for the citizenry. This government would be all too glad to spend billions of public funds to be seen doing something to prevent suicides altogether as opposed to simply erecting barricades if it serves their political ends. Slippery slope? I doubt so.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Property prices are the most important thing to everyone. If property prices drop many will suffer more..Its in the PAP and the 60% to ensure prices never drop. Its good if u own 2 property, if u own none,,too bad

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

You call it the "slippery slope" fallacy, I call it "erring on the side of caution". After all, this government does have a proven history of imposing draconian measures disproportionate to problems. Chewing gum ban, anyone? Locking up a group of harmless christian do-gooders?

From YOG to the naming of Marina Bay, costs are peripheral to an opaque government whose raison d'etre is to garner political power as opposed to saving $ for the citizenry. This government would be all too glad to spend billions of public funds to be seen doing something to prevent suicides altogether as opposed to simply erecting barricades if it serves their political ends. Slippery slope? I doubt so.

I doubt barricades will be erected. For all we know the establishment is thankful that the barricades along the MRT platforms have prevented more people from ending their lives on the tracks instead.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
So Young, So Smart = Cao Chong

I doubt barricades will be erected. For all we know the establishment is thankful that the barricades along the MRT platforms have prevented more people from ending their lives on the tracks instead.

duh.jpg

Sorry hor, when I was still young, I knew the MRT was heading for a certain type of danger that could cause gruesome deaths. I'm right. In fact, I have both the foresight and the hindsight to invent things. This is no coincidence.

The bus system has to be removed ! Outdated ! So, is that bloody SAF !

Just look at your roads and road junctions ... stupid and pathetic fools designed them.

Your HDB flats and high rise buildings have no safety barriers like nets or crumple zone to save people from falling or to commit suicides. You can see all this safety features from Jackie's movies ! Duh !

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Reservoir keeps on '' eating people''.... So many suicides there.. Maybe should dump some PAP Ministers inside the reservoir as a mean of sacrifice so that the Water Spirits there will be appeased..

We should start with you first. Wash up first before you jump in.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal

The older sinkies who are not selling might be asking the water for numbers after morning tai chi. :biggrin:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: So Young, So Smart = Cao Chong

duh.jpg

Sorry hor, when I was still young, I knew the MRT was heading for a certain type of danger that could cause gruesome deaths. I'm right. In fact, I have both the foresight and the hindsight to invent things. This is no coincidence.

The bus system has to be removed ! Outdated ! So, is that bloody SAF !

Just look at your roads and road junctions ... stupid and pathetic fools designed them.

Your HDB flats and high rise buildings have no safety barriers like nets or crumple zone to save people from falling or to commit suicides. You can see all this safety features from Jackie's movies ! Duh !

go back to malaysia and complain to your PM lah, sour grapes.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: So Young, So Smart = Cao Chong

Property prices are definitely more important than the lives of some losers.