• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie man made $35 million by selling western food in Singapore

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore, October 10, 2011

Can you make $35 million just by selling simple western fare, cakes and pastries?

Yes, you can and that's what the owners of Han's Cafe and Cake House chain achieved last year, according to The Straits Times today.

The daily reported how Mr Han Choon Fook and his siblings expanded the family business, which had its humble beginnings as a bakery in 1978 in Upper Thomson.

In the 1970s, his father also had a kiosk selling sandwiches, cakes and pastries. He also used to run a canteen at the British Naval Base in Sembawang.

Today, the Han family runs 25 outlets after opening their first cafe outlet at The Arcade in 1980.

They still remain humble despite their success. Mr Han, for instance, still clears dirty tables.

Popular with office workers at The Arcade are its curry puffs, chicken pies, burgers, sandwiches, omelettes, and fish and chips which uses beer in its batter.

A special item is the Hainanese Chicken Curry, inspired by the one made by his father.

Apart from using good curry powder, it has more shallots, garlic and ginger, following the style of his father's curry.

Mr Han told The Straits Times he perfected the recipe after some experimenting. The result? It is not too heavy nor too greasy.

Others who have had a hand in creating the various Han's signature flavours include his uncles who used to worked in the famous Red House bakery and a chef who had worked for the Singapore Cricket Club.

If you miss some of the old colonial flavours, you might be able to find them among the new dishes that Mr Han has developed.

Apart from pastas, focaccia sandwiches smoothies and five kinds of Earl Grey tea, you can find traditional dishes like Hainanese porridge, beef Hor Fun and sweet sour prawns.

Read also:

Customer felt old Han's food was better

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Other famous Hainanese western restaurants include The Ship at International Plaza, Borsch at Orchard and The Troisky at Serangoon Garden.

Frankly, I'd rather go to the new western food stalls at coffee shops that serve high quality steaks at economical prices. There are a couple of good ones in singapore.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other famous Hainanese western restaurants include The Ship at International Plaza, Borsch at Orchard and The Troisky at Serangoon Garden.

Frankly, I'd rather go to the new western food stalls at coffee shops that serve high quality steaks at economical prices. There are a couple of good ones in singapore.

I like Borsch at Orchard, good steak and get to serve by some of the oldest sinkie waiters

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
In the late 60s/early 70s there was Troika at Liat towers. They were really good and so was their business.

I was in my Secschool days and was giving some informal tuition to my neighbour's son. I didnt get paid but once a month they would bring me to Troika

for Saturday lunch. They were Hainanese and when they talked to the Hainanese ah ko we got extra french fries and the sweet bread. Damned shiok.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah the old waiters that are partially deaf LOL

I think they are the oldest team of waiting staff in singapore. The second would be the team at Rangoon road Ng ah sio bak kut teh...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the late 60s/early 70s there was Troika at Liat towers. They were really good and so was their business.

I was in my Secschool days and was giving some informal tuition to my neighbour's son. I didnt get paid but once a month they would bring me to Troika

for Saturday lunch. They were Hainanese and when they talked to the Hainanese ah ko we got extra french fries and the sweet bread. Damned shiok.

I remember Troika they had good food. They had 2 branches at Liat Towers. The more budget oriented one at the 2nd fl & more expensive at the 4th fl.

They eventually moved to the basement of The Arcade. Food was still good. Whenever I visited that area I would eat there:smile: In those days the Raffles area was more happening as there were many shops: Change Alley, Chulia Street, etc

Last edited:

kiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody ask. 35 millions is the revenue. What is the margin ?

F&B has thin margin. A friend of mine worked in a famous restaurant chain SG.

Their margin is thin, making abt 3-4 millions per year with abt 500 employees.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody ask. 35 millions is the revenue. What is the margin ?

i think it depends...if you have the fame...u can charge high premium...

look at Les Aimes...i am sure their margins r high.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the problem. Plenty of Ah Tiong eating outlets coming out like mosquitoes after rain, all serving food swill style. Could be money laundering at work.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i cant recall when they split but 1 group went to set up business at the york hotel and served similar fare. Plcae was called the balalaika room.

I remember Troika they had good food. They had 2 branches at Liat Towers. The more budget oriented one at the 2nd fl & more expensive at the 4th fl.

They eventually moved to the basement of The Arcade. Food was still good. Whenever I visited that area I would eat there:smile: In those days the Raffles area was more happening as there were many shops: Change Alley, Chulia Street, etc

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i cant recall when they split but 1 group went to set up business at the york hotel and served similar fare. Plcae was called the balalaika room.

I remember that Sammy boy posted an artical about Troika when we were discusing "old" Spore. The owner & his wife retired to Australia. He claims he was getting old. Some of the ex-employees started balalaika.

I've never been to Balalaika, is it still in business:confused:

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trioka Restuarant boss was CY Tang he sold the rest for $5million, paid his staff
and migrated to Sydney not long ago his wife mistaken CYTang as an intruder killed him.
She was not charged I think being sernile already!

Sadly their daughter passed away her husband name Wilson did not work his whole life
lucky man!

All his ex-staff from Trioka all old Hainanese men opened Borsch at Far East Shopping Ctr
every Wednesday they serve Ox Tail my favourite! Until I realised had high chlesterol than
stop eating red meat!

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I liked Han's western breakfast set during my police days. After night shift, early morning, with my buddy, usually went to Han's at Funan for breakfast. The standard set of bacon and ham with egg and coffee or tea. Cheap and good.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

May I ask?, since when The Arcade @ Raffles Place had a basement?? I know that place, from the old days, when Jim Thompsin Silk Store was there till it was rebuilt & Han Cafe started. I don't remember seeing Troika there?. As for Han, started eating from them, when they were at Old Upper Thomson or was it Sembawan Rd already, Springleaf garden outside I think; till they opened at The Arcade.

Was a regular at Han's at The Arcade for breakfast, lunch; especially their chocolate eclair for breakfast, their lunch set at noon. Use to eat at their Far East Plaza Branch, when it started & for many years too. I know the boss by sight, due to the number of years eating at Han's.

I could say, I am one of their reagular customer's, ate at their Novena Square Branch, Hougang Branch, National Library, Eastpoint, Hanis...prices had gone up over the years though & with expansion; quality of the cooking is not so good. Had not eaten at Han's for a whle, but food at Han's is still HAN'S!:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before Han's there was, hope I still remember the name's right, Ban Chuan?, next to where the Thai Embassy at Orchard Road. Silver spoon at Supreme House aka Park Mall & the school kids favourite, Magnolia Snack Bar, Cold Storage Orchard Rd ( memory not good at this one) but I know the Capitol Cinema annex one well, Chocolate Sundae, Lime Freeze, Ice Cream Float ( Coca cola, 7Up) Milkshake ( Strawberry, Chocolate), I eat only fish & chips there.