• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why no Jonathan Mak ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/227...ad-pancreatic-cancer-logo-co-founde.htm?cid=2

Every time someone makes a name on the world stage, it causes old man a lot of heartache. He could not explain why HSBC began one of the biggest banks in the world. Why HK won an Olympic gold medal with a local, why Margaret Chan became WHO Director General and the list goes on. Now with Jonathan Mark his heart might just give in.

[h=3]Apple Tribute Logo Moves the Web[/h]By Claudine Zap
Fri, October 07, 2011, 2:15 pm PDT
< Previous | Next >

Jonathan Mak Long with his tribute design to Steve Jobs

<tbody>
</tbody>

When Steve Jobs resigned from Apple in August, 7,000 miles away in Hong Kong, graphic design student Jonathan Mak Long, "shocked" by the CEO's departure, did what he knew best: He created a design to honor the Apple co-founder.
The 19-year-old posted the image, the Apple logo with the bite changed to a profile of Jobs, to his Tumblr blog. Known as Jonathan Mak, he initially received about 80 notes on the image. Then word came this past Wednesday that Jobs had died, after a long battle with cancer. The designer reposted the homage, which this time caught fire on the Web, attracting an almost immediate response of 10,000 likes and reblogs on his Tumblr site and surging to 180,000 -- in one day. Comments included "awesome invention like steve jobs." One thought it should be the "new Apple logo." Another wanted to "use it as a tattoo."
Speaking in fluent English (which he said he learned from watching the TV show "Friends"), the Polytechnic University School of Design student told Yahoo! in a Skype interview that the image was a tribute to Jobs's contributions to the world: "I wanted to commemorate him. He's such an integral part of Apple. I thought it would be fitting to include him in the Apple logo." The artist added, "With Jobs gone, Apple is literally missing a piece."
Mak was inspired by the uncompromising personality of the creative genius. He said of Jobs: "He had this vision that he was not afraid to commit to. That's how he broke new ground. His commitment and belief in himself is what inspire me." Long's vision for his own work is an aesthetic that joins a simple graphic element with a richer meaning, giving the viewer, as he put it, an "a-ha moment."
The cyber tribute became a hit, and, along with attracting media attention, the logo found itself as the preferred profile pic on Ashton Kutcher's Twitter account and on merchandise featured on eBay. The design prodigy has received several job offers, but he hasn't acted on them; "I'm still a student," he said. The artist has a portfolio of minimalist design, but don't call him an Apple fanboy. "I just got my first MacBook Pro a year ago," he admitted -- and he still doesn't own an iPhone.
Asked whether he'd gotten any response from Apple, Long said he had emailed CEO Tim Cook but so far hadn't heard back.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All you have to do is spend 24 hr in HK and you realise how independent and democratically they think.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is one story that made the rounds. When Philip Yeo of Delifrance fame started the A*star mission, he had great plans as usual. Hoping to nab a Nobel Prize, he thought his usual wining and dining with heavy networking would do the trick. He decided to send his young ones to Karolinska Institute for their tertiary scholarships. The Institutes's committee chooses Nobel laureates for Medicine or physology.

The outcome was hilarious. One of its undergrad came back and walked around nude in Holland Village with her Swedish boyfriend and got arrested. I am sure it made quite an impression in Sweden as well.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here is one story that made the rounds. When Philip Yeo of Delifrance fame started the A*star mission, he had great plans as usual. Hoping to nab a Nobel Prize, he thought his usual wining and dining with heavy networking would do the trick. He decided to send his young ones to Karolinska Institute for their tertiary scholarships. The Institutes's committee chooses Nobel laureates for Medicine or physology.

The outcome was hilarious. One of its undergrad came back and walked around nude in Holland Village with her Swedish boyfriend and got arrested. I am sure it made quite an impression in Sweden as well.

Wahahaha!!! I surely remember that episode. I was there, wahahaha!!! Didn't know who they were until read next morning paper. Me and my friends just thought, mad man and mad woman, don't get involved and left.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Every time someone makes a name on the world stage, it causes old man a lot of heartache. He could not explain why HSBC began one of the biggest banks in the world.

Singaporeans can be just as creative.
29bjz9h.jpg

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just got wind that officers in the relevant depart are scrambling to step up land reclamation so that our coastline will have the right profile.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. bro, good one!
2. honest, the gal in question is some so-so looking leh.
3. physique wise - below 5.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hahhaahah so that was from A*Star's talents programme? Ok that is funny as shit

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

At least the P*star tries that in summerish Singapore. And we know that she has learnt something at Karolinska. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Singaporeans do suffer from Functional Fixedness. So do the highly-paid executives.

Remember this Candle problem

CandleProblem.png

The task is to take the candle, matches, and tacks held in a box, and affix the candle to the wall so that the wax does not drip on the table.

Solution: http://marilynburgess.com/images/2009/09/CandleProblemSolution.png

The Power of Incentive, do they really work for 21st century problems?

Last edited:

hokkienpeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every time someone makes a name on the world stage, it causes old man a lot of heartache. He could not explain why HSBC began one of the biggest banks in the world. Why HK won an Olympic gold medal with a local, why Margaret Chan became WHO Director General and the list goes on. Now with Jonathan Mark his heart might just give in.

Hong Kong also has a successful movie industry (Shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest, etc), a successful TV industry (TVB, ATV, etc), a successful music industry (Sam Hui, Alan Tam, Jacky Cheung, Faye Wong, etc), even a successful comics industry (Wong Yuk-Long, Ma Wing-shing, Wong Chak, etc).

It is home to the world's most widely read Chinese novelists (Louis Cha, Ni Kuang, Yi Shu, etc), most widely listened to Chinese pop singers (Four Heavenly Kings, etc), most widely recognized Chinese movie stars (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, etc) as well as other players in the film industry (John Woo, Yuen Woo Ping, etc).

Why doesn't Singapore have the same? Well, notice how everything above is deeply intertwined with Hong Kong's Chinese culture?

We have a country run by a fucking banana who can't even write his own name in Chinese, is deeply ashamed of his own Chinese identity, and spent the last 40 years vehemently destroying any trace of Chineseness in Singaporeans. It is hardly surprising that we end up as a nation of Singlish spouting rootless louts with no culture. Since creativity and imagination are rooted in a person's culture, most Singaporeans suck at creative work.

Think Jonathan Mak's design has nothing to do with Chinese culture? Cutting out the silhouette of a person is one of the oldest Chinese art:

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/剪纸

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yeah right, we do not have our own identity. 10 years ago, I was proud to show my passport when I travelled. Try that nowadays and you'll get shit on your face.